Thread: Keepers

Senior Member All-Star Rocklobster's Avatar

Question Keepers

I am having second thoughts on who my keepers should be. I traded Backstrom +9th for a 3rd round and traded Tkachuk for a 7th and left with
    malkin 3kp
    Scheifele 3kp
    Benn 3kp
    murray 5 kp
    Guentzel 1kp
    For a total of 15 keeper points. Goalies worth 5, F 3, D 2 and rookies worth 1 point.

I have no RW or D being kept but I have Simmonds and Letang who I am
    throwing back. Should I keep those 2 instead of Murray? I pick 11th overall and surely goalies will fly off the board first round. Normally I do not keep goalies because they are expensive. Is Murray really a top 3 goalie or am I dreaming as a pens fan.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Chalk me up as one of those that wouldn't keep a goalie unless it was a stud of studs, which Murray isn't in my eyes. Even if it was Holtby or Price, I would seriously consider other options as keepers. Goalies cost too much. I'd throw Murray back and keep the 2 skaters.

Hmmm. You pick 12th overall too, you're not too worried about the quality of goalies available that late?

as you know both price and holtby are being kept by the same manager and Dobber has Murray ranked #3. Who do you think is ranked higher Bob? Bishop?

i really like simmonds for multiple stats he contributes to but Letang is injury prone just like Malkin and I already am keeping 2 forwards from the pens. I guess I could draft RW and D with my first 2 picks. I'm betting there is a goalie rush the 1st round.

Maybe it comes down to who is more redraftable at the 11th pick.
    Thanks

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    I take it being a rookie keeper doesn't make goalies any cheaper?
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Actually rookie goalies cost 3 KP but must have fewer than 40 starts. So Murray does not meet the requirements. I did keep him as a rookie keeper last season because he only cost me 3kp

This might be the exception and not the norm, but I picked 12th last year, too. My goaltending was a big reason why I ran away with the regular season. It's also a big reason why I shit the bed in the playoffs, but that's a story for another day.

I think you were very fortunate to get rask and dubnyk back to back last year. After that, the goalie choices were kinda crappy. Last year 7 of 12 picks in the first round were goalies. The year before it was 9 of 12 picks in the first were goalies. Those years the nhl draft had some great rookies, this year not really at all.

I think I've answered my question and will stick with Murray. Thanks again for the input.

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    FWIW (Which may be nothing as you've already decided) I would, without hesitation, keep Letang+Simmonds.

Simmonds is a fantasy stud and Letang is just a monster when healthy. Yes, that isn't often enough, but all things considered, its still a D-man averaging over 50 pts his last 3 seasons. I think you're overly sour on last year (Its how it always works in fantasy, we grow to hate our injured players lol), and a bit too quick to forget the two years before. He's only 30, he's got up to 5 years left as a top scoring D-man.

You could honestly still argue that Letang deserves to be called a top 5 fantasy D-man. Top 10 is no argument. Murray is still a bit experimental in the regular season and as much as I really like his upside, I don't necessarily think he's going to become a fantasy sensation with Pittsburgh.

Just tossing my two cents in there. If you're feeling like Murray is ready to become that guy longterm, ride with it. He can easily be argued as the best goalie in fantasy just based on the fact that he's all but guaranteed 40+ wins yearly if Fleury gets out of the way. I really don't see him dominating other cats though
    Last edited by Kyle; 07-09-2017 at 04:32 AM.

Yeah im definitely double, and triple guessing my decision. Tough one for me as I pick 11th and it looks like most teams are not keeping a goalie which means they will be flying off the board. By the time it gets to me there could be some questionable starters left. There are also some great D available and a few good options @ RW

potential goalies available

Murray
    Bob
    Bishop
    Crawford
    Rask
    Dubnyk
    Jones/Gibson
    Vasilevskiy
    Andersen
    Anderson
    Lundqvist/Rinne
    Greiss
    Lehner
    Mrazek
    Fleury

There are some pretty good names there but I'd rather not get stuck with a tandem or goalie on a crap team.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Just tossing my two cents in there. If you're feeling like Murray is ready to become that guy longterm, ride with it. He can easily be argued as the best goalie in fantasy just based on the fact that he's all but guaranteed 40+ wins yearly if Fleury gets out of the way. I really don't see him dominating other cats though
    Vegas is pretty out of the way...
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    So the question is Simmonds & Letang OR Murray? And you have the 11th pick? I don't like any of the options after Lundy/Rinne as a #1 fantasy goalie, and I think Simmonds/Letang will be much more redraftable than Murray, who will go in the first 3-5 picks based solely on wins potential. Without knowing the cats in your league, I think you have to keep Murray and roll the dice on getting Letang and/or Simmonds in the draft.

The guy (Murray) has two cups in two seasons in the NHL. That's not a fluke. IMO, he's legit. Yeah, he's still gotta have a good solid, consistent 55-60 start season to be considered elite, but the guy has done some impressive stuff in his short time in the NHL.

I am NOT a Pens fan at all, but I like Murray's outlook going forward. I wish the Wings could get their hands on him somehow.

Standard cats in this league. It really is an argument that you could make a case for either side. Murray is a unique example, too. He has played 2 NHL seasons and been a big reason why his team has 2 titles during that time. Unfortunately for this discussion, his playoff numbers have nothing to do with this. Fantasy is regular season and he has all of 62 career regular season games played on his resume. He definitely has the opportunity to be a top goalie with Fleury gone, but he also hasn't proven that he can carry the full-time load for 60+ games. There are lots of examples of guys that couldn't. Time will tell on that one. I won't argue with anyone that wants to keep him or throw him back. For me, the price is too high to keep a goalie.

Ya, absolutely can make a case for both sides. I think I have a better chance at redrafting both of Letang and Simmonds over Murray. I project Murray to play 60-65 games and have 40 Wins. I don't think many goalies this year will hit that number... Maybe 4. I bet 7+ goalies will be taken 1st round so I think I'm making the right move.

thanks for the input guys, wasn't an easy choice.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Same league.

I have this to choose from with 9KP left after the no brainers:

McDavid 3KP
    Laine 1 KP
    3KP
    MacKinnon
    Hall
    Atkinson
    Domi
    Sheary
    Nylander
    Ehlers

2KP
    Josi
    Barrie

5KP
    Jones
    Andersen
    Gibson
    Anderson

1KP
    Aho
    Rantenen
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

You have a bunch of different options but I think if it was my team, I would go with a well rounded core of...

McD 3 KP
    Atkinson 3 KP
    Laine 1 KP
    Aho 1 KP
    Josi 2 KP
    Jones/Gibson (whoever you think will do better next year) 5 KP

15 KP total

I pick 1.10 and 2.03

Murray, Rinne, Allen, Price and Holtby are being kept so far. I'm confident i should get a rock between the pipes with my first pick. Hard to throw top 5-10 goalies back i know but the points system makes it tough to keep em.

EDIT* Deadline is midnight
    Last edited by Dubz; 07-10-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubz View Post
    I pick 1.10 and 2.03

Murray, Rinne, Allen, Price and Holtby are being kept so far. I'm confident i should get a rock between the pipes with my first pick. Hard to throw top 5-10 goalies back i know but the points system makes it tough to keep em.

EDIT* Deadline is midnight
    I see you do not have a 3rd round pick... yes absolutely you can get a decent G first round, maybe 2nd but for sure slim pickings in the 4th. I dunno how confident you would be with a guy like Raanta or Darling as your 2nd G though. I would still keep a G and draft 1 in the first 2 rounds.

If for sure you do not want to keep a goalie I would keep

McD
    Atkinson
    Laine
    Ehlers/Nylander (probably Nylander since you're a leafs fan)
    Josi
    MaCkinnon (you traded for him)

Pretty much the same situation as you Rock except not all that confident any of these goalies will net me 40 wins. I'll probably just go homer and keep the Leafs. Then i will draft a goalie with my first pick. Thanks cya at the draft

Nylander 3KP
    Andersen 5KP
    Josi 2KP
    Aho 1KP
    Laine 1KP
    McDavid 3KP

Thread Information