Thread: Posting

Posting

When replying or posting, unless you go Advanced the text box puts your sentence with no spaces.

Thanks Rajah! Looks like this was fixed migrating over to the new server. Weird. But it's done.

Nevermind. It works for certain sub-forums...weird. For example, it's fine in this one, but not in the NHL discussion.

EDIT: The problem seems to occur in EVERY sub-forum when "Reply with Quote" enabled.

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Yup, experiencing the same here!

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    This seems to be isolated to Chrome or Chrome-based browsers.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Ah, it's a bug between vBulletin 4 and Chrome. Unlikely to be fixed on HI's end unless Rajah/MTR undertake the likely very involved process of upgrading to vBulletin 5. I put a bug in with Chrome, but no idea if they'll fix it. The bugfix they did that I think broke it appears to have taken a few years to address.

A workaround other than "Go Advanced" appears to be to switch the editor to Source mode (far left button on the toolbar that looks like "A/A") and back again or just using Firefox or IE/Edge.
    Last edited by Hamsterkill; 02-21-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    Curse of the Hamster

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Yeah, lots of tiny ways around it, no big issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Yup, experiencing the same here!
    Glad I'm not the only crazy one here
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post
    This seems to be isolated to Chrome or Chrome-based browsers.
    Interesting. That's what I thought. I've migrated over long ago and just became used to it.
    Ah, it's a bug between vBulletin 4 and Chrome. Unlikely to be fixed on HI's end unless Rajah/MTR undertake the likely very involved process of upgrading to vBulletin 5. I put a bug in with Chrome, but no idea if they'll fix it. The bugfix they did that I think broke it appears to have taken a few years to address.

A workaround other than "Go Advanced" appears to be to switch the editor to Source mode (far left button on the toolbar that looks like "A/A") and back again or just using Firefox or IE/Edge.
    The A/A fix is the easiest for me. How do you report bugs in Chrome or even feature suggestions? I've submitted one a while back and noticed they implemented it so that's nice, but it was a couple years as well...

Chromium's (the project behind Chrome) bug tracker is here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list

Feature requests go there as well.
    Curse of the Hamster

Chromium's (the project behind Chrome) bug tracker is here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list

Feature requests go there as well.
    Great. Thanks!

I only see Issues, People, Development process and History. Where do the feature requests go?

Feature requests are a type of issue. You can search them by using the query Type="Feature" in the Search box.
    Curse of the Hamster

Feature requests are a type of issue. You can search them by using the query Type="Feature" in the Search box.
    Good to know. Thanks!

Another workaround for this appears to simply be hitting Enter (for a new line) to get the ability to type spaces back.
    Curse of the Hamster

Another workaround for this appears to simply be hitting Enter (for a new line) to get the ability to type spaces back.
    Interesting!

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Anyone else have a problem getting on here for the past 24 hours or so?

Amazon took a major dump for a good part of the day which affected a bunch of sites. I didn't think to check if HI was affected by it (was putting out fires at work) but I know that Jeff moved us to AWS a few months ago.

Administrator Third Liner
    Hey guys, so I'll have to look into that Chrome issue, but if it's a bug with Chrome/vB that will only resolved with an upgrade to vB 5, I can't comment on that on right now.

The other issue on the 28th was likely for Firefox users only. Because Jeff put us on https://, I had to make a change to the Apache server on the new host to be able to render correctly in Firefox. It should have been resolved from the 28th onwards though...

Also, we are no longer on AWS...because the server was under Jeff's AWS account, I had to urgently move all my content over to a new host ASAP before potential issues happened with with his account, I'm not sure who owns it and how it will be handled moving forward. So now we're on a new host, that would have been the weekend of February 18-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyinformer View Post
    Hey guys, so I'll have to look into that Chrome issue, but if it's a bug with Chrome/vB that will only resolved with an upgrade to vB 5, I can't comment on that on right now.
    From the discussion on the bug I filed in Chrome, it sounds like it should be fixed in some upcoming version of Chrome as it already was fixed in their canary (development) builds.
    Curse of the Hamster

From the discussion on the bug I filed in Chrome, it sounds like it should be fixed in some upcoming version of Chrome as it already was fixed in their canary (development) builds.
    Nice!

Off topic, I put one in for having preview link addresses at the bottom moved; it's pretty annoying when you're reading articles.

Quote Originally Posted by WIS View Post
    Nice!

Off topic, I put one in for having preview link addresses at the bottom moved; it's pretty annoying when you're reading articles.
    How so? It's already supposed to move out of the way whenever your mouse gets close to it. Either out the bottom of the window or to the other side of the window.
    Curse of the Hamster

How so? It's already supposed to move out of the way whenever your mouse gets close to it. Either out the bottom of the window or to the other side of the window.
    No, it stays there as long as your mouse is over a link. I'd prefer it on the right side (as it does sometimes which is weird since it is not consistent) or at the top.

This appears to no longer be an issue in Chrome 58.
    Curse of the Hamster

This appears to no longer be an issue in Chrome 58.
    Running 58.0.3029.110 and the link preview still appears on the bottom left. If you mean that the posting issue has disappeared then yes.

Thread Information