Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Cup

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar

World Cup

Everyone into this or no? Seems to be mixed feelings on this one. Some are excited but others don't like the format of this one. I'm going to watch but I do hope the N/A and Europe teams are only for this one time. Pre-tourney games start in 6 days.

Jeff Carter is out for Canada and is being replaced by Corey Perry. I thought Perry should have been on the roster in the first place.

Senior Member All-Star boredguy's Avatar
    I'll watch since the other choice is preseason hockey but don't care all that much.

I'm thinking the same way. Also all these players backing out the last little while I doubt they would back out with the same injuries if this is the Olympics or Worlds.
    Last edited by two24four; 09-04-2016 at 09:02 AM.

I'll watch some of it because I miss hockey, but not excited for it. I'd rather have the season start a week earlier to be honest. Oh well, all in time.

This NHL season is going to be jam packed. The season is starting a week later because of the World Cup and every team is getting that new one full week off in the 2nd half of the season.
    Last edited by two24four; 09-03-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    It's better than no hockey, but with all these key players backing out, it's not really going to be a fair representation of each nation's true hockey prowess.

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    When you know you aren't watching the best of the world, it means nothing to me. World cup soccer and Olympic hockey are the only international tournaments (for one of the major 5 sports) involving the undisputed best of each country's rosters. Everything else is just a farce to me. Olympic basketball tries its hardest, but other countries are simply way too far behind America there to make it interesting (Although the American team tried their hardest to play terribly this year and almost made it interesting at times).

That said, it is still hockey at a time where none is available, so I'll catch the more appealing match ups, but with little to no expectation of a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    It's better than no hockey, but with all these key players backing out, it's not really going to be a fair representation of each nation's true hockey prowess.
    Agreed. Also if this was the Olympics McDavid would be playing for Canada and Eichel most likely for the U.S. Not this made up under 23 team.

The under 23 team and the European team make it seem even more gimmicky.

The Czech's just added two more KHL players to their roster because two NHL players backed out.
    Last edited by two24four; 09-04-2016 at 09:36 AM.

Hockey guru to the gods Hall of Famer Roy Hinske's Avatar
    Swift Current, Saskatchewan; home of the Broncos
    I'm not terribly excited but I think it will be interesting how the young teams do. It doesn't seem the pros are too interested with lots dropping out.

Team USA and Canada both are bunch of morons who should realize these are glorified preseason games and they have no business risking their health the way they've been. All in the name of this silly rivalry that is definitely not being furthered by this tournament of meaningless games. Team USA vs Canada is an olympic rivalry, no one really cares who wins this one, and yet they're boarding each other and throwing reckless late hits like its the NHL playoffs. Too silly and this is why as a coach/GM I'd despise any player attending this nonsense.

Playing is one thing, playing overly physical is another. It's fun to watch, but maddening at the same time when you care about the NHL 100x more.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Team USA and Canada both are bunch of morons who should realize these are glorified preseason games and they have no business risking their health the way they've been. All in the name of this silly rivalry that is definitely not being furthered by this tournament of meaningless games. Team USA vs Canada is an olympic rivalry, no one really cares who wins this one, and yet they're boarding each other and throwing reckless late hits like its the NHL playoffs. Too silly and this is why as a coach/GM I'd despise any player attending this nonsense.

Playing is one thing, playing overly physical is another. It's fun to watch, but maddening at the same time when you care about the NHL 100x more.
    Remember, Team USA was built for this kind of play. Why else would you bring Abdelkader?
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Totally agree Kyle, although i am shocked ( i thought of it more as a skills comp lol ) its alot more fun to watch than i anticipated
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    I'm not sure how this doesn't further the rivalry between Canada and the US? They're the exact teams that would be at the Olympics...

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    I'm not sure how this doesn't further the rivalry between Canada and the US? They're the exact teams that would be at the Olympics...
    They're not meeting at the Olympics. They're meeting at the World cup and if its any match outside an elimination match, it means nothing. Most people who are into the US vs Canada hockey rivalry are not terribly concerned with whats happening now. It's only even a story because it's been so dirty.

They're not meeting at the Olympics. They're meeting at the World cup and if its any match outside an elimination match, it means nothing. Most people who are into the US vs Canada hockey rivalry are not terribly concerned with whats happening now. It's only even a story because it's been so dirty.
    I think I'd disagree... the media are buzzing about the quality of hockey up here. I don't see why the tournament changes anything. Same players, same countries.

I don't understand what you fail to see. The reasons have already been mentioned. Its a slightly silly tourny. Are you honestly trying to brand these games with the same significance as the Olympic games? That's silly. People today recognize a great rivalry because of whats happened in the last two Winter Olympics and not for really any other reason. This tourny is a peg below Worlds and a mile below the Olympics.

It's just amazing to me that the players are risking so much for this of all trophys.
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-12-2016 at 03:28 AM.

I don't understand what you fail to see. The reasons have already been mentioned. Its a slightly silly tourny. Are you honestly trying to brand these games with the same significance as the Olympic games? That's silly. People today recognize a great rivalry because of whats happened in the last two Winter Olympics and not for really any other reason. This tourny is a peg below Worlds and a mile below the Olympics.

It's just amazing to me that the players are risking so much for this of all trophys.
    I guess you just love the Olympics more than me. I don't think the rivalry depends on the Olympics. It will survive when the NHL doesn't go to the 2018 Olympics. It exists at the World Jr Level, the U-18s, the Worlds, everywhere. I'm not sure why it matters the context in which the game is played. These are guys who have literally grown up playing against eachother on behalf of their countries. You think they care what tournament those match ups come in? Not a chance.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Its pretty apparent on the ice these guys are playing for more than a trophy.
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Yeah this is great hockey to watch so far and the tourney hasn't even started yet. These players don't care what they are playing for. If it's US vs Canada they are going 100% all out. Like phaneuf6 said these players for the most part have grown up playing vs each other for their country's for years. Even if they are teammates in the NHL they don't like each other right now. Why do you think Abdelkader and Marchand are playing for these teams? For this reason. Kesler and Perry are hated by the other team as well. Canada was trying to knock Kelser's head off the other night.

This is the exact reason why when the US and Canada are in the same pool at the World Jr's they always put that game on New Years Eve. Because both teams play like this.

I know most up here in Canada were glued to their TV's Saturday night to a game that met nothing. But were cheering for Canada like it was game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. Wait till these games mean something next week.

I must admit so far this has been much better than I thought it would be. The two US vs Canada games have been great and the Under 23's are showing they aren't going to mess around. Good luck to teams trying to keep up with the Under 23's speed.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Why do you think Abdelkader and Marchand are playing for these teams?
    Whoa. Let's not lump those two together. USA brought Abdelkader just for his physicality. Marchand actually has the talent to make Team Canada, regardless of physicality. The same distinction could made between Kesler and Perry.
    Curse of the Hamster

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post
    Whoa. Let's not lump those two together. USA brought Abdelkader just for his physicality. Marchand actually has the talent to make Team Canada, regardless of physicality. The same distinction could made between Kesler and Perry.
    Yes I know. But Marchand is one of the best at being a pest and trying to draw other teams into taking penalties against him. It helps that he can also play and they seem to love him with Crosby.
    Last edited by two24four; 09-12-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Fan 590 in Toronto just took calls on this. Callers are saying they are way more into this World Cup now after these games between the US/Canada.

FWIW Phaneuf, I was giving a bit of a layman''s view on things. I know there's hockey circles where US vs Canada has always been a strong rivalry. I just meant in terms of mass appeal, most recognize the modern day rivalry because of those heated matches from the 2010 Olympics, then the follow up in the 2014 Olympics. But it really wasn't a good point to bring up by me regardless, because as you guys said, the players aren't terribly concerned with what the fans care about. They're gonna go all out in these situations regardless.

Auston Matthews started as the 13th forward for N/A. He's now on the top line with McDavid.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Auston Matthews started as the 13th forward for N/A. He's now on the top line with McDavid.
    Not a fan of this tournament but this makes me

I love how most hockey "experts" said on radio and TV before the tourney started that both team Europe and N/A would be lucky to win a game. Both are 1-0 to start.

Were they really being down on team N/A? Hard to imagine the consensus counting out that loaded roster.

Team Europe was a sensible call though. Team USA just found a way to blow a bag of dicks.
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-19-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Torts' response to scoring no goals: "Moar Abdelkader!"
    Curse of the Hamster

Senior Member All-Star boredguy's Avatar

Reading the excuses Lombardi is making is a little infuriating. It's like he's learned nothing from this.
    Curse of the Hamster

Thread Information