Senior Member Hall of Famer

NBA 2016-17 thread

I doubt this will get much hits, but might as well try.

Durant and the Warriors are both free from any criticism to me. The issue is with the NBA and endorsements. Endorsements are so much more lucrative than playing careers for the top 10-15 NBA stars (Who are marketed way more effectively than NBA, MLB, or NHL stars) that they end up settling for cheaper contracts because it's pennies in the bucket to them. It enables super team building.

Also, max salary in the NBA is flawed. With the cap tier limitations, essentially, it's very difficult to eat up a large chunk of a team's cap no matter who you are as a superstar. And due to the cap floor being so high, even mid-grade players get the same contracts as the superstars, and the stars don't complain, making up their difference in endorsements, and making room for other superstars on their team.

Durant and Wade were acquired for a combined 50 mill this offseason. Any 2 of Bradley Beal, Demar Derozan, Andre Drumond, Nicolas Batum, or Hassan Whiteside combined for more than that (as much as 58m). That's a shocking problem. This is like Darren Helm signing an 8 million dollar contract right before Stamkos signed his. It completely betrays the spirit of legit competition and defeats the purpose of a salary cap when the system doesn't force the best players to take the best contracts, and it's something basically unheard of outside of basketball.

Durant, Lebron, Westbrook, Curry, Harden, these guys should cost way over 30 million a piece (Or well over 1/3 of the cap). When they're settling for the same mid-20 range as mid-grade players, superteams are inevitable. It's just too managable to stack these players because you can get away with as little as 15-20 million for your last 8-10 roster spots in the NBA if you're frontloaded enough.
    Last edited by Kyle; 07-14-2016 at 10:58 AM.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    The commissioner also sees a flaw and will look at ways to fix it.

I don't have an issue with what Durant did since it was well within the rules. Selfishly, I would have liked to see him stay. OKC could and should have beaten Golden State and, on paper, they improved their team for next year. I wanted to see if they could finally win a title.

The NBA regular season is also pretty worthless. This won't help in that regard. We're getting pretty close to the playoffs being worthless as well. They should just start the NBA season with the conference championships.

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Haha, agreed with the last comment Doc.

Any thoughts on the NBA's decision to pull the All-star game? It makes me respect Silver more. To me, he's the example of the commissioner people wish Goodell was.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    He seems to be the most forward-thinking commish in sports today. I have no issue with what he did.

Thread Information