Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Senior Member Hall of Famer
    PS on that note of hockey legends: Can't we already agree that in the very recent years, we already have a ton of them? Toews, Kane, Datsyuk, Keith, Crosby, Malkin, aren't these guys already cemented legends? With many more like Weber and others of his caliber who have a very real chance to make legends out of themselves. I don't distinguish legends as figures of the past, they're still all around us.
    Last edited by Kyle; 06-14-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    My point is that he is the best in the world right now just as Don Cherry claims. Crosby has a lot of hardware and turns no name guys into stars. All time i think he is in the 10-20 (its so subjective) range and obviously has a chance to become 2nd or 3rd(top 5) if he can somehow continue his dominance in the sport for 4-5 more years. I love throwing around old names but admittingly the guys i watched as a kid and through my era will always be higher on the list than those before them. Honestly cant say how good the pioneers of the sport were because i didnt watch them play. Im sure there are some people that believe the Rocket is the best of all time so theres really no validity in any list per say.
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Montreal gives up Sergachev. They are playing with fire imo That makes Drouin and Galchenyuk both RFA's This should be fun to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Dubz View Post
    My point is that he is the best in the world right now just as Don Cherry claims. Crosby has a lot of hardware and turns no name guys into stars. All time i think he is in the 10-20 (its so subjective) range and obviously has a chance to become 2nd or 3rd(top 5) if he can somehow continue his dominance in the sport for 4-5 more years. I love throwing around old names but admittingly the guys i watched as a kid and through my era will always be higher on the list than those before them. Honestly cant say how good the pioneers of the sport were because i didnt watch them play. Im sure there are some people that believe the Rocket is the best of all time so theres really no validity in any list per say.

I hear you. We don't really disagree. We put Crosby in the exact same bracket and we both acknowledge that he has a great chance to climb into the top 10.

I've been singing Crosby's praises (Even though he's a bit of a cunt) for many years now, and have always acknowledged him as the undisputed best in today's NHL for damn near a decade now. But the same was true for Jagr, and many others have been undisputed bests for long times as well (Hockey is an old sport), many of which have twice the body of work as Crosby.

My issue is literally just games played. 800 is too soon unless a guy is already breaking Gretzky records and winning his 4th consecutive cup. When (Health permitted) Crosby gets above 1300 games, 1500 pts, maybe adds a 4th cup, I won't call anyone silly for calling him top 5.

Doc mentions it more than anyone and I can't agree more that comparing across eras is basically impossible and recency bias almost always wins out over objectivity. We get to watch recent players at their peak and it sways us. The body of work means as much or more to me than how good you were at your peak. 5-10 year sensations always get ranked behind inferior players with more complete bodies of work. We forget the Pavel Bures and remember the Alfredssons and Sundins. Crosby is no Bure but his body of work is still a bit thin, and I couldn't give two shits about useless Olympic performances on overstacked teams lol
    Last edited by Kyle; 06-15-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Im wondering if the Leafs flip Rychel to the Panthers now that his dads bff is coaching down there?!

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Interesting day. Housley named coach in Buffalo and Drouin (and a conditional 6th rounder in 2018) traded to Montreal for a 1st round pick in 2016 (Sergachev) and a conditional 2nd rounder in 2018.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    Interesting day. Housley named coach in Buffalo and Drouin (and a conditional 6th rounder in 2018) traded to Montreal for a 1st round pick in 2016 (Sergachev) and a conditional 2nd rounder in 2018.
    I'm okay with Housley. Would've preferred MacLean, but he didn't seem to be under consideration for some reason.

I would say that Tampa must be under a crunch for protected players, but the return for Drouin doesn't look like they were taken advantage of too badly.
    Last edited by Hamsterkill; 06-15-2017 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post
    I'm okay with Houaley. Would've preferred MacLean, but he didn't seem be under consideration for some reason.

I would say that Tampa must be under a crunch for protected players, but the return for Drouin doesn't look like they were taken advantage of too badly.
    Agreed. Its a good return. They were never really in position to maximize his value. That trade is as good as I could've imagined this situation resolving for TB.

Now hopefully Drouin can go on and become a star.

Nothing wrong with swinging on a coach like Houaley too. Buffalo is in that stage of their rebuild where they need to try out many coaches on a short leash. He'll be easy to move on from if needed.
    Last edited by Kyle; 06-15-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Nothing wrong with swinging on a coach like Houaley too. Buffalo is in that stage of their rebuild where they need to try out many coaches on a short leash. He'll be easy to move on from if needed.
    I know. I just thought that, not only is MacLean a coach that should really get a second spin as a head coach soon considering his success the first time, but it would be yet another rivalry storyline with Toronto -- Nylander vs Nylander, Matthews vs Eichel, Babcock vs Babcock's old faithful assistant.
    Curse of the Hamster

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Sergachev is going to be very, very, very good. Wouldn't be surprised if, long-term, that deal turns out in Tampa's favour.

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Sergachev is going to be very, very, very good. Wouldn't be surprised if, long-term, that deal turns out in Tampa's favour.
    Huge risk/reward move by the Habs imo

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Forget which insider, but one of them wrote yesterday that an OHL GM told him he thinks Sergachev will put up more points then Hedman at the NHL level.

If the Jackets ransom payment to Vegas is accurate, then... Wow. My first reaction has to be -- Columbus is willing to give up Ryan Murray (not to mention the pick and prospect) in order to keep Jack Johnson and David Savard?
    Curse of the Hamster

The prospect wont be Dubois or Milano. Its not a great payment but its not a terrible wow move either. Where can you find quality, veteran D-man in today's NHL? As a Wings fan I'd let you rip off a fingernail to put either one of Savard or Johnson on the roster. Savard especially has potential to be a 1st/2nd team all-NHL D-man by the time he's 30 and can be a 40+ pt player by then.

Columbus are in a cup window and they're prioritizing anything that makes them immediately better (Or doesn't make them immediately worse). Its almost impossible to agree with the move entirely but I get it.

What this move does highlight are massive flaws in the expansion system and the ability it gives the new team to exploit the others. Its just an odd system.
    Last edited by Kyle; 06-17-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Some think Vegas could end up with 4 first round picks. It is a weaker draft so teams might be more willing to trade them this year.

I think Vegas is asking too much, i doubt many teams give in. Just lose a player and move on. The Ducks left Manson unprotected - I would love to see him as a Leaf

I think Vegas is asking too much, i doubt many teams give in. Just lose a player and move on. The Ducks left Manson unprotected - I would love to see him as a Leaf
    No more trades allowed until after the expansion draft.
    Curse of the Hamster

Whoa, I totally missed when Buffalo traded for Beaulieu. Not bad.

I'm confused. The report of Columbus ransom payment to Vegas implied Ryan Murray was going unprotected, but he's on the protected list. I guess that report wasn't completely accurate.
    Last edited by Hamsterkill; 06-18-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    Curse of the Hamster

No more trades allowed until after the expansion draft.
    Vegas can trade with any team tho - not sure if/how it could get done. Just a wish list sort of thought.

McPhee says they have at least 6 deals done. Says he still hasn't talked to Leafs GM Lou yet. Sounds like they will today.
    Last edited by two24four; 06-20-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Thats crazy, 6 trades in one day by one team!!!

George McPhee: "We're going to have to move some defencemen because we're going to claim a bunch."

I'd like Manson but sounds like the Ducks may have a deal to protect him. We'll see what Lou can do today.

Sounds like they are getting at least two first round picks (1 from each team) from the Isles and Jackets. Who knows they could have/get more.

Vegas should just put their draft table up on the stage. Save the walking up every time.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post

Vegas should just put their draft table up on the stage. Save the walking up every time.
    I'll bet bettman has them closest anyways lol

I'll bet bettman has them closest anyways lol
    First overall sits the closest. Stanley Cup champs sit way in the back. Vegas will be seated close though at six overall.

Never paid any attention to that. Interesting. That's why the Leafs have always been so prominent lol

John Shannon just said on twitter that some think Vegas could have 12 or more deals before this is over.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    John Shannon just said on twitter that some think Vegas could have 12 or more deals before this is over.
    It's that between protection deals and flips or just protection deals?
    Curse of the Hamster

It's that between protection deals and flips or just protection deals?
    I would guess both.

I guess the first expansion pick is technically official now with Haula signing with Vegas. (And probably Tuch moving there as well to provide the incentive, though I don't believe that part is official, yet)
    Curse of the Hamster

Thread Information