Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Ovechkin has 3 multi-goal games this year. 3.

Has shots per game is almost 1.5 per game lower than his entire career also. His shooting percentage down 2% from 12-10.

He did this before in 2011-2012, but it's way more surprising now due to the awful shooting percentage and the fact that everything has been going so great in Washington for him individually since then, and consistently so.

Is 40 goals fair to expect anymore? Hard to ask that a year removed from 3 straight 50 goal seasons, but its also hard to expect Ovy suddenly making up the 100 shots he lost this year or the 2% his percentage dipped. Shooting % is often a very strong indicator of a turning point in people's careers. Gretzky averaged way over 20% for the first 13 years of his career, and below 14% the last 9. His last 3 high-% years were 54, 41, and 40 goals. He never reached 40 goals again the last 9 years, reaching 38 once but otherwise never reaching 30.

There's nothing else to talk about so I'm forcing the subject -a bit-, but I do think if I had to put money on it, I'd say Ovy is never reaching 40 again. It doesn't get any easier at 32 and beyond. I think he's officially past his prime, which is not surprising because he had a game that was always going to be very difficult to keep up into his 30s, compared to Crosby who will probably stretch his prime another season or two at least at an MVP level.
    What a hot take!

If you look at his big goal scoring years (lots of them) his PP goals are huge. The league may have just finally adjusted to the Caps PP and taken away that big one-timer from the circle. His ATOI is a bit lower this year...

I don't think any of it matters if the Caps finally win a Cup, which they are looking primed to do. Going to the Verizon Center next Saturday to see them live - should be fun.

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Hard to say. I remember there being talk years ago that he was done and he definitely came back. It gets harder as the years add up, though. He's been a great keeper for me in a league of mine and I'm thinking of offering him up around the league for picks. Not that I think he's done. Just that I have some tough keeper choices.

Now is probably the last real chance you have to get significant value back for him, he won't be valued highly as a keeper if he has another year like this back to back. He'll still be a good player but every year that passes makes other people much less likely to think they have a chance at 40+. Right now, plenty of people will think he can still do that next year. I don't think he can.

Phaneuf, I agree, at this point he doesn't need to do anything statistically for the sake of his legacy. Its all about winning a cup or two and his all-time stock will rise if he does that no matter what his production is at that point. He's already a 3 time MVP/7 time 50 goal scorer. I wasn't trying to be gloomy, just surprised at how quickly he seemed to sharply decline. Still a great asset though and far from a guy who's just along for the ride.

Also, from the few Caps games I watch this year, that one-timer has for sure been schemed out a lot more than in the past. It's hardly ever there. Probably explains the shooting % too, because that was almost certainly his highest-% shot.
    Last edited by Kyle; 03-19-2017 at 12:17 PM.

I agree, at this point he doesn't need to do anything statistically for the sake of his legacy. Its all about winning a cup or two and his all-time stock will rise if he does that no matter what his production is at that point. He's already a 3 time MVP/7 time 50 goal scorer. I wasn't trying to be gloomy, just surprised at how quickly he seemed to sharply decline. Still a great asset though.

Also, from the few Caps games I watch this year, that one-timer has for sure been schemed out a lot more than in the past. It's hardly ever there.
    It's like Stamkos, really. Both players are very reliant on that half-boards one-timer on the powerplay because both players rely on a quick release to score goals. However, it's not THAT difficult to defend against, but does involve risk too. (i.e. if you hedge towards either player, it inevitably leaves a lane open for another player). I think the Caps are less reliant on winning games 6-5 as they might have been in the past, with Holtby being a top goaltender in the league now and the emergence of some of their defensemen and reliable role players in the bottom 6. Lars Eller, for instance, has been an extremely good add for them. Trotz has a lot to do with this too, obviously. I'd actually love to see them finally win a Cup. I might have an opportunity to work with them this summer, which I'm sure would be much more fun if they were Stanley Cup Champs too, haha.

Yeah, I know various buddies with small roles around the Wings organization and they describe the year after cup wins as heavenly.

I think a lot of people (Me included) would be really glad for Ovy and the Caps to win one. People unfairly tried to paint him as the typical selfish Russian star early in his career and I think he did a good enough job of establishing himself as a real leader in the league. Not some great leader, but certainly a team-first guy. With no real reason to dislike the guy (Sloppy and reckless hits aside, mostly in the past), he's someone the hockey world should really want to see skating around with that trophy above his head, the same way we really wanted to see Blake do it (Although obviously Ovy isn't nearly that far along the desperate trail yet).

Interesting thing about TB and WAS, both teams have adjusted so well to no Stamkos/slumping Ovechkin that they're both still top 8 in PP %. Good coaching there.
    Last edited by Kyle; 03-19-2017 at 02:03 PM.

How about that Malkin fella? He's really turned out to be an all around force and complete player.

Malkins beyond awesome. What him and Crosby have been able to do for such a long time is so remarkable, especially since they're rarely linemates. They're basically always #1/#2 in points per game every year. Imagine if they both didn't miss 20+ games routinely.

Malkin was so freakishly dominant during his first cup run in 09. It was a prime Gretzky-quality postseason in an era where thats unheard of. That's by far the best playoff run of the last 20+ years, and fuck him for it too, it was all the difference in the Wings losing that 7 game series
    Last edited by Kyle; 03-19-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Eric Staal played in his 1000 NHL game today. I bought season tickets his last season in the OHL with the Petes pretty much because of him. Glad to see him play 1000 in the NHL.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    It's amazing to me how fast the Wild have fallen in the standings. Obviously, the Hawks are playing a big part in that. Don't Boudreau teams usually wait until the playoffs before they fold?

It's equally amazing to me how steadily CBJ have stayed atop the standings. I can't possibly be the only one who saw a dip to 4-6th place (if not worse) coming after that improbable win streak.

But yeah, the Wild are on a disaster skid. Hard to see them suddenly flicking the switch if they carry this shit streak into the playoffs.
    Last edited by Kyle; 03-20-2017 at 08:46 AM.

2-8 in their last 10. Still have a record at 43-22-6. Better to skid now than later. They end the season playing, amongst others, VAN PHI DET ARI COLx2 and CAR, so they should either roll into the playoffs with some momentum or be an absolute tire fire.

Ever since Dubnyk let in 2 goals on 2 shots last Sunday vs Chicago he hasn't been the same. Wild better hope he finds his game again. They were down 4-0 to the Jets yesterday only to tie the game at 4-4 but they ended up losing 5-4. He's let in 16 goals in the last 5 games.

I agree about the Blue Jackets. I didn't see them keeping this up. But they are mostly where they are because of Bobrovsky. He's the Vezina winner as of right now IMO.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    The Blue Jackets did dip after their win streak, to the point that I heard the players had to tell Torts to ease up on them. They've bounced back some, thanks in large part to Bob as stated. The Caps and Pens, at least, should still be considered stronger teams, though, and because of that, they're still looking at a likely early exit in the playoffs unless they can pull off an upset or manage to win the Metropolitan and thus draw the wildcard.
    Last edited by Hamsterkill; 03-20-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

It's equally amazing to me how steadily CBJ have stayed atop the standings. I can't possibly be the only one who saw a dip to 4-6th place (if not worse) coming after that improbable win streak.

But yeah, the Wild are on a disaster skid. Hard to see them suddenly flicking the switch if they carry this shit streak into the playoffs.
    Agreed! I keep checking the standings and look out for their streaks and I'm amazed. Kinda hoping the Leafs can halt them a bit coming up

Bobrovsky has been the top reason, but reason 1A has been their scoring being s spread out. They have a ton of guys scoring for them. You could probably count on 1 hand the number of guys that they had drafted in fantasy leagues before the season. I cut Atkinson in a dynasty league to make room for draft picks and he's kicking me in the ass. I didn't see this coming.

Crosby is far and beyond the NHL's most versatile player. Who else scores a goal of the year candidate, causes somebody's testicle to burst, then essentially hack off the tip of somebody's finger, all in one week? What can't he do?

McDavid has one more period to get his 100th point for the year. Would like to see him do it.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    McDavid has one more period to get his 100th point for the year. Would like to see him do it.
    Done deal - that cost Eichel 2 million$
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Can you explain that, Dubz?

But yeah, great news! I love seeing 100 pt scorers, especially when they're the obvious new face of the league. McDavid is a freak. Crosby is clearly far from ready to step down but its very obvious who will take his place when that time comes.

McDavid wins the Art Ross, Crosby wins the Rocket Richard, and Marchand won a 2 game vacation. Great end to the season.
    Last edited by Kyle; 04-10-2017 at 06:08 PM.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Got lucky to see some of McDavid that night and WOW, he is something else.

I read on SN that Eichel lost 2 million cuz of that goal. Ill try to find the article:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/c...hel-2-million/

On a side note i picked 20/24 games correct this weekend. Hoping to win a prize!!!
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Would be funny if Tallon re-hired Gallant. Though there's probably better options out there now, after the yearly NHL coaching purge.

As much flak as he's gotten, I'm not inclined to want Bylsma sacked this offseason. The season was a disappointment, though I don't think by much. The playoffs were always a longshot this year. The roster still needs a fair amount of work. With that said, I wouldn't be too displeased if Ruff came back -- this time without Regier's shoddy roster-building.
    Curse of the Hamster

Any teams looking for a coach should be all over Sutter before anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Sutter is overrated to me. He's the Tom Coughlin of the NHL. He has two titles to make up for an extended streak of mediocrity in the regular season. Both come out of nowhere after mediocre seasons to win titles. Its impressive, but the fact that we don't expect these guys to win says a lot to me.

Not that I'm denying hes ahead of Bylsma for sure. But he shouldn't be treated as some hot commodity. He's been an average-at-best coach for 15 of his 18-19 years in the league.

Unless we're leaning on the fact that his post-lockout streak is stellar and using that as the only metric, I'm not big on Sutter. LA has been one of the least enjoyable teams to watch and every time they did win it was a surprise to all because they just never looked good until the playoffs in those years. Didn't they set the record one of their two winning runs for most wins in 1 goal games? That's dumb luck mostly. I don't like a guy who's teams usually play below the sum of their parts and almost always has to grind out ugly wins despite a lot of talent.
    Last edited by Kyle; 04-12-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Sutter is overrated to me. He's the Tom Coughlin of the NHL. He has two titles to make up for an extended streak of mediocrity in the regular season. Both come out of nowhere after mediocre seasons to win titles. Its impressive, but the fact that we don't expect these guys to win says a lot to me.

Not that I'm denying hes ahead of Bylsma for sure. But he shouldn't be treated as some hot commodity. He's been an average-at-best coach for 15 of his 18-19 years in the league.

Unless we're leaning on the fact that his post-lockout streak is stellar and using that as the only metric, I'm not big on Sutter. LA has been one of the least enjoyable teams to watch and every time they did win it was a surprise to all because they just never looked good until the playoffs in those years. Didn't they set the record one of their two winning runs for most wins in 1 goal games? That's dumb luck mostly. I don't like a guy who's teams usually play below the sum of their parts and almost always has to grind out ugly wins despite a lot of talent.
    I know what you're saying about Sutter and, despite the fact that this is an NHL thread, I need to point out that you are severely underrating Coughlin and his coaching career. He took over an expansion franchise and led them to the AFC Championship game in his second year. He made it back there 3 years later. He made the playoffs in years 2, 3, 4, and 5. He also had a winning record there in 8 season, which is impressive. He won 2 Super Bowls with the Giants, due in large part to him changing his coaching style. Belichick is regarded in many circles as the best coach ever and he couldn't beat Coughlin. That has to count for something. There are 4 coaches with more Super Bowl titles than him. Out of 51 Super Bowls in history, there are 4 coaches with more titles than he has. That's impressive.

I can lean on your side with Coughlin. I would've argued he's the NFLs second best coach when he won the 2nd ring and I never would've said that about Sutter. Its tough to remember Coughlin fondly because basically every year after the 2nd ring was just a disaster for him. I'll give him a slight pass on the basis that the Giants were a terribly built team. The Kings have had a much better roster on average than the Giants.

I still think Coughlin is a fair comparison but maybe there are better names out there to use. The more general point is that Sutter has simply not convinced me despite those runs. The fact that one of them can be totally credited to the best postseason run ever by a goalie (Quick in 2012, which has more to do with the goalie coach than Sutter) makes me even less inclined to praise him as a two-time champion coach.

I've heard Gallant already has a job lined up and Bylsma is as good as gone. Bob Boughner is also sniffing around for a head coaching job.

Gallant in LV? Think one of the insiders said they like him.

I actually agree, apart from the word "any". Sutter's a great coach, but I think he would be a terrible fit with the Sabres as they stand right now. I'd prefer Bylsma to Sutter for the current Sabres. I could see Sutter fitting in better in Florida or Boston (if Boston doesn't want to keep interim Cassidy).

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    I've heard Gallant already has a job lined up and Bylsma is as good as gone. Bob Boughner is also sniffing around for a head coaching job.
    Rumors around Buffalo coaching (and front office) are notoriously spotty. Even their beat writers never know what's going on there (though I guess in fairness, their beat writers are pretty terrible, relatively speaking). Bylsma seemed somewhat confident that Murray's keeping him around for another year, and that honestly might be the best clue out there right now.
    Last edited by Hamsterkill; 04-12-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    Curse of the Hamster

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Gallant in LV? Think one of the insiders said they like him.
    Gallant officially confirmed. Met him last weekend and he didn't strike me as someone who was worried about a job. My source was right. Same source suggested trouble in Buffalo but we'll see how it plays out.

So far so good for playoff hockey... lot of exciting, close games. Looked in G1 like Pitt will run away with that series. Edmonton came out firing but San Jose slowly took that game over. I have a Sharks-Caps final so rooting for the Sharks out there against the Oilers. Atmosphere in Rogers Place looked awesome.

Good for playoff hockey, terrible for the NHLs playoff format. It really is just poorly constructed, Was/Pit/Cbj don't belong to the same bracket. The structure is flawed. I've seen a lot of NHL coverage on major sports networks leading into the playoffs and the majority of it focused on the absuridity of Cbj/Pit playing each other and the possibility that the NHLs two best teams could realistically be gone by round 3. Its not good for the latter half of the playoffs which has seen some issues in viewership.

Last years ratings stunk. This years are unlikely to be much better. This format did nothing to help the NHL and should go. "2nd has to play 3rd" is one of the most moronic playoff formatting rules in the history of modern major American sports. Its like something a kid would come up with.

That said, great first few days indeed. Its just sick how bad they fuck over Pits/Cbj and then Was next round by having to play against one of them. Just not conducive to good ratings in the last two rounds. Whoever survives that bloodbath will be significantly weakened for it. Those 3 teams got absolutely no reward for their amazing regular seasons, they were punished for it. Arguably the NHLs 3 best teams.
    Last edited by Kyle; 04-14-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Well this year's ratings are likely to be better because there are 5 Canadian teams in the playoffs, versus none last year. But yea, generally, I agree. It should be 1v16, 2v15, etc.. If you want to argue that the travel makes that impossible, at least go back to 1v8 in each conference.

Thread Information