Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
    Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar

2015-16 Season Thread

Figured i may as well get this one going with the mock drafts floating around. This one has the Leafs taking Provorov in the #4 spot. I thought Hanifin was the easy #1 dman in this draft.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/d...-draft-top-10/
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Its so subjective i suppose. Crouse at 4 in one and 14 in another. Theres a few in this link including Bob.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015-draft/prospect-rankings/
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz View Post
    Figured i may as well get this one going with the mock drafts floating around. This one has the Leafs taking Provorov in the #4 spot. I thought Hanifin was the easy #1 dman in this draft.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/d...-draft-top-10/
    The top defensemen in the draft are actually fairly tightly packed depending on what a team is looking for. Hanifin is the most developed and pro-ready right now without a doubt. Everything I've seen on Provorov indicates he could have a higher potential than Hanifin, though, especially offensively. The same goes for Werenski as well, who may be the most gifted. Any of those three could end up being the best D in this draft, really.

That said, it would surprise me if Hanifin didn't get picked first just because teams are way more inclined to pick more sure-thing defensemen than higher-potential ones.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Senior Member All-Star boredguy's Avatar
    All you need to know about that first one is that it's written by Damien Cox.

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    That decision to play that puck by Bishop might haunt the Lightning for a long time. Hedman clearly had the inside track on that puck and arrived way before Sharp. Bishop had no reason at all to leave his net.

Total Hasek play there.
    Last edited by Kyle; 06-14-2015 at 01:56 AM.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boredguy View Post
    All you need to know about that first one is that it's written by Damien Cox.
    Agreed 150%.

Just for fun I'm going to try and guess a mock draft. Keep in mind 1 trade could throw everything off. I'm sure I will be mostly wrong outside of the top 2, I feel good about those two picks ha.

1st- Oilers- McDavid- C
    2nd- Sabres- Eichel- C
    3rd- Yotes- Strome- C
    4th- Leafs- Marner- RW/C (I really could see them taking anyone of Strome, Marner, Hanifin or Provorov)
    5th- Canes- Hanifin- D
    6th- Devils- Provorov- D
    7th- Flyers- Crouse- LW
    8th- Blue Jackets- Rantanen- RW
    9th- Sharks- Zacha- C
    10th- Avs- Barzal- C
    11th- Panthers- Meier- RW
    12th Stars- Werenski- D
    13th- Kings- Merkley- C/RW
    14th- Bruins- Connor- LW/C
    15th- Flames- Konecny- RW
    16th- Oilers- Samsonov- G
    17th- Jets- Zboril- D
    18th- Sens- White- C
    19th- Wings- Eriksson Ek- C
    20th- Wild- Svechnikov- RW
    21st- Sabres- Carlo- D
    22nd- Caps- Bittner- LW
    23rd- Nucks- Gurianov- RW
    24th- Leafs- Kylington- D
    25th- Jets- Debrusk- LW
    26th- Habs- Chabot- D
    27th- Ducks-Carlsson- D
    28th- Lightning- Boeser- RW
    29th- Flyers- Sprong- RW
    30th- Yotes- Roy- D

I'll say this, he won't go early or anything, I'm thinking anywhere from the 3rd-7th rounds but D- Cameron Lizotte is my sleeper of this draft. He wont put up big points but he's a big kid at 6'2 200 lbs who is solid in his own end, hit's like a truck (might be the hardest hitter in this draft) and will fight anyone, big time leader.

If Barzal is available at 10 I would be asking the Avs what it would take on top of Gardiner to get that pick! (fuck O'Rielly!)

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    If Barzal is available at 10 I would be asking the Avs what it would take on top of Gardiner to get that pick! (fuck O'Rielly!)
    I would think they would want the 24th pick for sure. Doubt they would want to go from a top 10 pick to no 1st round pick at all. They would really have to like Gardiner (or whoever they are getting) as well.

If they wanted to trade up from 24th it might be easier to trade up into the middle of the 1st round and try to get one of Merkley or Konecny etc.... if they want another forward.
    Last edited by two24four; 06-23-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Can't see Devils going D even if Provorov is there, they're forwards are bad and they have basically have no decent forward prospects. I'd think they'd go Zacha or Barzal, then the BJ's grab Provorov.

Also i'd easily trade 24+Gardiner for 10 without caring who was taken before then.

Quote Originally Posted by boredguy View Post
    Can't see Devils going D even if Provorov is there, they're forwards are bad and they have basically have no decent forward prospects. I'd think they'd go Zacha or Barzal, then the BJ's grab Provorov.

Also i'd easily trade 24+Gardiner for 10 without caring who was taken before then.
    Something to note is that Shero was never shy about going D in the draft despite being thin at forward organizationally. Shero was always the type to address organizational depth in later rounds or through trade and take (perceived) best player available in the first round. Whether they think that's Provorov or someone else, who knows.
    Curse of the Hamster

Well, he doesn't have a Crosby and Malkin with the Devils, gonna be harder to ignore forwards when your top scoring threat is Adam Henrique.

Lot of the insiders are saying ARI has at least two good offers for the 3rd pick. Friedman said he wouldn't be surprised if the Blue Jackets were one of the teams, he thinks they want one of the d-man at the top.

Here is Sam Cosentino's mock draft. He's the colour commentator for the Jr games on Sportsnet for those who don't know.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...hl-mock-draft/

The cap is nearly 2 mill under most projections. Really blows up a lot of the hypothetical scenarios people have been bouncing around based on a 73 mill cap - it's only 71.4.

Only a raise of 2.3mill, instead of the 4 mill raise projected. On the bright side, hopefully that means the NHL isn't over-inflating on its way to another lockout.

Well, he doesn't have a Crosby and Malkin with the Devils, gonna be harder to ignore forwards when your top scoring threat is Adam Henrique.
    Yeah, I can't see the Devils passing up this opportunity to address their scoring issues. This is likely the highest they'll draft and in a very deep draft.
    Last edited by Kyle; 06-24-2015 at 12:57 PM.

I guess the NHL is formally exploring expansion now that Vegas appears on track to be the first. I wonder if Portland will actually end up being the second since Seattle can't seem to get the ball rolling on a suitable arena and Portland already has one. Seattle has the bigger population, but Portland is probably more familiar with hockey, with Winterhawks playing there (closest hockey team to Seattle is the Everett Silvertips 25 miles away, I believe).
    Curse of the Hamster

Quebec City I would think although maybe the interest is not as strong at an $0.80 dollar. (a 2nd team in the GTA is the most obvious place...but that would make too much sense for Bettman's Western US dream)

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Quebec City I would think although maybe the interest is not as strong at an $0.80 dollar.
    It could happen, though I think it might take some time. Between the Canadian dollar's struggles and a desire to even the conferences, I think they might wait for QC come in a following expansion (perhaps once Seattle's ready as well?). Or they could wait and see if Florida would really ever consider relocating.
    Curse of the Hamster

I don't think there should be any other expansion after this - the league will be at 32 teams and I see no need to be any larger than that.

(I'd actually rather see contraction frankly - delete two current teams)

Meh, I don't mind the NHL getting bigger. I know talent dilution is talked about as a danger, but I really don't see that as much of a problem.
    Curse of the Hamster

You're probably right Hamster, but I do see that as an issue. I think too many teams lack a marquee superstar as is. I'm with _Illin on absolutely no more than 32. I think 30 would've been ideal given the available talent.

Yes, the league is more balanced than ever, there's more good players than ever, but there's also less difference-makers than ever (Directly due to the fact that when everyone is good, it's harder to be THAT much better than them). Hockey is way more fun watching guys like Toews, Kane, Ovy, Crosby, Datsyuk, Benn, etc. and you don't want a situation where hardly half the teams have an allstar of that caliber. That means half the games will be boring to the less-hardcore fans.

Hockey already has a severe issue with marketing (or failing to market) their players. Every team has to have a face(or faces), and right now a lot of teams don't really have a recognizable one, and the more teams you add the worse that gets.
    Last edited by Kyle; 06-24-2015 at 03:58 PM.

As long as Bettman is in charge I don't see the league going below 30 teams.

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    The league shouldn't be expanding or contracting. Move FLA to QC or the GTA or Seattle/Portland and move ARI to Vegas. That's the move.

Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    The league shouldn't be expanding or contracting. Move FLA to QC or the GTA or Seattle/Portland and move ARI to Vegas. That's the move.
    Well I think it's pretty silly to have uneven conferences. That's the only reason adding/dropping a team seems a bit necessary.

8/15 is .533% to make the playoffs, 8/16 is 50% to make the playoffs. It's a small but still notable difference that shouldn't exist.

^ Agreed

Poor guy.

Senior Member Third Liner
    Soderberg deal with Colorado done - 5 years, 4.75 per.

I'm still getting used to the fact that this calibre of player makes 4-5 million. But given the market, that number seems right I guess. O'reilly is as good as gone with this then, right?

WOW!!

Senior Member Third Liner
    Lehner and Legwand to Buffalo for the 21st pick looks like it's done too

I like that move for both sides - I'm a fan of Lehner and he will get a good shot with Buffalo. And getting a first rounder for Ottawa is solid.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Hearing O'Reilly will be dealt today.

Thread Information