King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar

2014-2015 Offseason

Seems like it's time for another one of these.

2 moves by the Yanks so far today. Traded for a SS (Gregorius) and signed a stud reliever (Miller).

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    I know the Blue Jays overpaid for Martin, but $9M a year for Miller is risky no? I love Miller and what he brings I was kind of hoping the Blue Jays would sign him, but man that's a lot on a RP who only has 1 career save.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    I know the Blue Jays overpaid for Martin, but $9M a year for Miller is risky no? I love Miller and what he brings I was kind of hoping the Blue Jays would sign him, but man that's a lot on a RP who only has 1 career save.
    It is but that seems to be the going rate for top (non-closer) relievers. He's a lefty that can get both sides out and there was a demand for him. Timing is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    Seems like it's time for another one of these.

2 moves by the Yanks so far today. Traded for a SS (Gregorius) and signed a stud reliever (Miller).

Easy there champ, he's good, but calling him a stud at this point is a ginormous stretch!

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Easy there champ, he's good, but calling him a stud at this point is a ginormous stretch!
    We'll see. I bet if he signed in Toronto, you'd need a Squeegee for your monitor.

He took less to play for the Yanks. Sounds like the Astros offered $40M.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    We'll see. I bet if he signed in Toronto, you'd need a Squeegee for your monitor.
    Perhaps. I've been following him for a couple of years as I am in a deep roto league with an IP cap so a high k/9 guy like Miller has value. He obviously has value as a flame thrower BUT he is being paid stud closer money and he has never been a closer. It's a lot easier to to throw that kind of heat for K's in low-leverage situations in the 7th vs. a high-leverage, game-on-the-line 9th inning type of situation.

This may end up being a great signing....or it could be horrible if he can't handle the 9th. His name was rarely mentioned and he was well down the list on BOS after Papelbon left and they didn't use him after Uehara was removed late in the season. That doesn't mean he can't close, but it does suggest that he is a huge gamble having to live up to that contract.

(His advanced stats are pretty enticing though I will not lie)
    Last edited by b_illin; 12-08-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Perhaps. I've been following him for a couple of years as I am in a deep roto league with an IP cap so a high k/9 guy like Miller has value. He obviously has value as a flame thrower BUT he is being paid stud closer money and he has never been a closer. It's a lot easier to to throw that kind of heat for K's in low-leverage situations in the 7th vs. a high-leverage, game-on-the-line 9th inning type of situation.

This may end up being a great signing....or it could be horrible if he can't handle the 9th. His name was rarely mentioned and he was well down the list on BOS after Papelbon left and they didn't use him after Uehara was removed late in the season. That doesn't mean he can't close, but it does suggest that he is a huge gamble having to live up to that contract.

(His advanced stats are pretty enticing though I will not lie)
    I could be wrong but I'm 99.9% sure that they didn't sign him for the 9th. As I see it, he's either going to pitch the 8th with Betances closing or they will go KC-style (or Yanks 1996), sign Robertson, and have Robertson close and have Miller/Betances fight over the 7th-8th innings with a lead. Bullpens have much more value now so I wouldn't be opposed to the latter, no matter the cost.

Robertson signed with the White Sox for 4 years $40M. These RP are cashing in.

The A's are sending Samardzija to the White Sox for some prospects. White Sox are loading up. They already signed LaRoche earlier.

When Beane makes up his mind the A's are going to rebuild he really turns that team around quick.

^ $46mm!!! Crazy. (memories of BJ Ryan)

He doesn't rebuild in a true sense but he reloads to at least keep them decent rather than terrible. It helps that he has a partial ownership stake, I believe. He saw last year as his chance to contend and now he's reloading. I might not agree but I understand.

Yes his rebuilds or retooling's are different than most. He started this all off by signing Billy Bulter which doesn't make a lot of sense now IMO. I wonder what Butler is thinking now.

Jon Letser to the Cubs 6 years $155M.

Cubs also just traded for catcher Montero yesterday. They aren't messing around now that they have Maddon to manage.

Things should pick up you would think now with Scherzer, Shields etc....

Yeah. I expected Lester, Scherzer shortly after, and then the rest.

$25mm for 6 years...wow!!! I would never in a bajillion years give that kind of money+term to any pitcher not named Kershaw (and maybe Hernandez). Spend money on bats, draft and develop arms...that you can trade for bats and pitching prospects when those arms want crazy money.

Sounds like Jimmy Rollins is being traded to the Dodgers.

Whoa lots happening.

Dodgers are doing lots. Trading Gordon and Haren to the Marlins for Heaney and prospects than flipping Heaney to the LAA for Howie Kendrick. So the new DP duo for the Dodgers is Rollins/Kendrick.

Now it sounds like Kemp is going to SD.

Also DET and BOS just made a trade with Cespedes for Porcello. So in the end Boston gets Porcello for Lester.
    Last edited by two24four; 12-11-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Really seems everyone was waiting on Lester to sign before they did anything because now everything is happening.

Padres aren't fooling around. Just in the last few days they have traded for OF'ers Matt Kemp, Wil Myers, Justin Upton. Catcher Derek Norris and signed SP'ers Josh Johnson and Brandon Morrow.

Padres aren't fooling around. Just in the last few days they have traded for OF'ers Matt Kemp, Wil Myers, Justin Upton. Catcher Derek Norris and signed SP'ers Josh Johnson and Brandon Morrow.
    Now they've gone out and traded for Middlebrooks from Boston. They aren't fooling around that is for sure.

Now they've gone out and traded for Middlebrooks from Boston. They aren't fooling around that is for sure.
    I wonder if Jenny Dell moves with him...assuming they are still dating. (he's the reason she got fired by NESN so he kind owes her one!!)

Seems like they are engaged now. She is a sideline reporter on CBS for NFL games now.

Wow, that Scherzer deal is RIDICULOUS!!! I can't even fathom throwing that kind of money and (more so) term on an arm. Craziness!

I agree but look at their starting 5 right now.

Scherzer
    Gonzalez
    Strasburg
    Fister
    Zimmermann
    Last edited by two24four; 01-20-2015 at 12:59 PM.

I highly doubt that they go with that rotation long-term and the league has shown that you can win with decent starting pitching and a top bullpen. As constructed, I can see it being overkill.

Apparently Strasburg is available which makes me think his funky mechanics might have taken a heavy toll on his arm.

Yeah the first time I saw him pitch I remember thinking that can't be good for a few reasons the way he throws.

Report that Houston is signing Rasmus to a 1 year deal worth $8M. That is nuts.

Thread Information