Senior Member Hall of Famer

2014 World Cup Soccer

What an opening night win by USA!!

No love for FIFA here, huh?! Crazy early choke by Spain. Already out.

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    Big one on Sunday. Win or draw and they likely get through.

That was disgraceful what the Spaniards did, ruined my bracket.

Got a portuguese next door neighbor that I cant stomach, the airhorns are prepped and ready to go.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Oops.

I don't watch soccer so I don't understand how the brackets work but if you lose once are you out?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy78 View Post
    I don't watch soccer so I don't understand how the brackets work but if you lose once are you out?
    3 pts for a win, 1 pt for a tie, 0 for a loss, and you only get 3 matches in the opening round to finish in the top 2 (Out of your bracket of 4) or you don't qualify for the tournament. In Spain's case they lost both of their first two, while two other teams have already won both of their first two, so they're back 0 pts to 6 to both teams with only 1 game left. And the teams only play each other in their own brackets so a loss is pretty crippling. You always want to force the tie if you can't win, not so much for your 1 pt but to make sure they don't get 3 for winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    3 pts for a win, 1 pt for a tie, 0 for a loss, and you only get 3 matches in the opening round to finish in the top 2 (Out of your bracket of 4) or you don't qualify for the tournament. In Spain's case they lost both of their first two, while two other teams have already won both of their first two, so they're back 0 pts to 6 to both teams with only 1 game left. And the teams only play each other in their own brackets so a loss is pretty crippling. You always want to force the tie if you can't win, not so much for your 1 pt but to make sure they don't get 3 for winning.
    Ahhh...thank you Kyle! So basically the USA needs to win at least one of the two matches against Portgual and Germany and at least tie on the other one?

Yup, with Ronaldo hurt USA's best hope is a win vs Portugal and hopefully a tie vs Germany but they'd probably get by even with a Germany win as long as USA manages to beat Portugal. If they tie vs both they're likely in good shape also because they'd finish 2nd to either Germany or Ghana (Assuming Ghana staged a miracle 2-game win streak vs Portugal and Germany).

Theres a bunch of scenarios where the USA can still get by even with a loss to Portugal (or more improbable even if they lost to both Portugal and Germany) but those would all be based on Germany and/or Portugal losing to/drawing with Ghana which is simply unlikely. USA has to make sure its a tie or win vs Portugal to avoid putting it in someone else's hands.
    Last edited by Kyle; 06-21-2014 at 06:46 AM.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar

Senior Member All-Star Gern Blansten's Avatar
    Brutal tie for the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Gern Blansten View Post
    Brutal tie for the US.
    You might as well consider that a loss!

Yeah, that was pretty sickening. Very tough chance to advance now.

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Yeah, that was pretty sickening. Very tough chance to advance now.
    Nah, they are at 76% to advance to the next round according to the math.

They need a win or draw vs the Germans or a draw between Portugal and Ghana to automatically move on.

If the U.S. loses to Germany we would want Portugal to win instead of Ghana because the first tiebreak is goal differential and heading into the final group stage game the U.S is +1, Ghana is -1 and Portugal is -4.

If anything it looks like Portugal is screwed the most because they trail the U.S by 5 goals. So even if Portugal were to win they'd have to make up those 5 goals in differential.

I dont like our chances vs Germany on Thursday all that much, but I love our chances of backing into the sweet 16.

Ah, not nearly as bleak as I understood. I really hate our chances to tie Germany also and based on how strong Ghana looked vs Germany, and how weak portugal looked Vs USA, I don't like Portugal's chances to force a tie/win there either.

Ghana has played like an elite club and deserved wins vs USA and Germany.

That was a bogus penalty called against Mexico. That never gets called in that context.

Senior Member All-Star Gern Blansten's Avatar
    The Algeria/Germany game today was solid. The Germans looked a little tuckered, IMO.

Germany wasn't good enough for sure. Algeria just lost their legs around the 100th minute or they had a real shot at winning that match.

Here comes the big one for USA.

Thread Information