Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar

New Black Sabbath(first track with Ozzy/Iommi/Butler in 35 years!)

Here it is...

Lyrics transcribed by yours truly...

Black Sabbath - God is Dead?

Lost in the darkness
    I came from the light
    Faith of my father,
    My brother,
    My maker and saviour
    Help me make it through the night

Blood on my conscience
    And murder in mind
    Out of the gloom,
    I rise up from my tomb,
    Into impending doom,
    Now my body is my shrine

The blood runs free,
    The rain turns red,
    Give me the wine,
    You keep the bread
    The voices echo in my head
    Is God alive or is God dead?
    Is God dead?

Rivers of evil
    Run through dying lands
    Swimming in sorrow,
    They kill steal and borrow,
    There is no tomorrow,
    For the sinners will be damned

Ashes to ashes
    You can not exhume us all
    Who do you trust,
    When corruption and lust,
    Creator of all the unjust,
    Leaves you empty and unwhole?

When will this nightmare be over?
    Tell me
    When can I empty my head?
    Will someone tell me the answer?
    Is God really dead?
    Is God really dead?

To safeguard my philosophy
    Until my dying breath
    I transfer from reality
    Into the living dead
    I empathasize with enemies
    Until the time is right
    With God and Satan at my side
    From darkness will come light

I watch the rain as it turns red,
    Give me more wine,
    I don't need bread
    These riddles that live in my head,
    I don't believe that God is dead
    God is dead

Nowhere to run
    Nowhere to hide
    Wondering if we will meet again on the other side
    Can you believe a word?
    What the good book said?
    Or is it just a holy fairytale and God is dead?
    God is dead
    God is dead
    God is dead
    God is dead
    Right!

*Solo*

But still the voices in my head are telling me that God is dead
    The blood pours down the rain turns red
    I don't believe that God is dead
    God is dead
    God is dead
    God is dead

I fuckin' love it!!!

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Absolutely over the top DISGUSTINGLY way too long and drawn out, but solid track if it were 4 minutes. How they ever thought they had the foundation for an 8 minute track listening to this in the studio, astounds me. Its almost shocking how poor of a decision it was to make this an 8 minute song.

I'm still sure this is going to be an extremely solid album. Just not the right start for me.
    Last edited by Kyle; 04-21-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    I'll go ahead and take the other side of that fence. I think if this were meant as a "normal" song(whatever that means) I'd agree, but this song is really written from a place of dispair by Ozzy(just listen to the words), so I don't mind it feeling kind of long and drawn out because, without trying to sound like a massive snob, I think that's kind of the artistic point of the song.

Does that make any sense?

Makes perfect sense to me. I agree wholeheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    I'll go ahead and take the other side of that fence. I think if this were meant as a "normal" song(whatever that means) I'd agree, but this song is really written from a place of dispair by Ozzy(just listen to the words), so I don't mind it feeling kind of long and drawn out because, without trying to sound like a massive snob, I think that's kind of the artistic point of the song.

Does that make any sense?
    Metal tracks pushing 8 minutes need a certain energy this song lacks. Meaning and intentions aside, it simply doesn't sound good to me over the stretch I'm supposed to endure it. Its not the worst song ever but its an atmosphere track that just doesn't sell itself to me. It takes 6:30 to try anything new musically and its a painfully dull repetitive riff that just wasn't worth the wait. The solo is awful. Thats not what Sabbath is about. What you get at the end of a slow chugging Sabbath track is supposed to be worth the wait and this one just flames out in the last 2 minutes. Computer God, Heaven and Hell, atmosphere tracks are nothing new to Sabbath, but this is total garbage compared to those gems, and even they hardly top out at 6/7 minutes. This song would've been a boring 4 minute track with a bad solo, as it is at 8 minutes it just sounds shitty to me and I can't imagine metal heads eating this up at all. Its not what any fans of Ozzy have come to enjoy from him and certainly not the type of music that ever sold Black Sabbath. Kudos for taking a 35 year old lineup and attempting to steer things in a new direction, but this clear desperate attempt for money would've been best-suited as a nostalgic throw-back to the exact type of music these guys created in the 70s. These dogs are way too old to try new tricks like this and it just failed.

The lyrics are too average, Ozzy never has nor will be the type of poet it takes to drive a message home that compensates for a song so boring. His vocals simply aren't impressive enough to shove down our throats for 7 slow minutes of music. Thats not Ozzy's element, he doesn't soar there. You put up with this song believing it will be worth the wait at the end and what we get is one of the most boring Sabbath breakdowns ever with a pathetic solo. I heard other songs feature some genuine shred and real Sabbath metal, so like I said, I'm still approaching this album with an open mind and optimism. This track, just fails for me, and I can't fathom why its the first one we're listening to from the album.

Sabbath is stereotype metal. Simple metal. Metal metal. They do nothing well but basic metal, never have done anything well but basic metal. But, at that they're possibly the best band in history. Amazing basic metal. They're simply incapable of successfully stepping out of that mold and this song is an example of why they shouldn't, to me.
    Last edited by Kyle; 04-23-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Oh "God is Dead," you're but a hollow shell.... RONNIE JAMES DIO can sing for 7 fucking minutes. Ozzy? Thats borderline audio torture. I know revisiting one of the band's best songs ever and directly comparing is unfair, but I can't help it when the passion just seems so lacking by comparison. "God is Dead" is just bad, lazy metal to me.

Goosebumps every time I pass 4 minutes into Heaven and Hell. Now THATS a breakdown worth the wait. the guitar doesn't need to shred, but seriously, God Is Dead features one of the worst solos in history since "Smells like Teen Spirit." It let me down enormously especially after the boring break down. Simplifying already simple metal creates a dull track. If there were a genuine deep message or insightful lyrics to appreciate, it'd be one thing. This song just lacks everywhere.
    Last edited by Kyle; 04-23-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Rocklobster's Avatar
    I dislike this song and I think the lyrics are painfully bad. He writes like a 15 year old girl. I really love sabbath but this is terrible.

Ohhh, its the first album written totally sober. There goes half my expectations for the rest of the CD. Sober never works in rock.

Senior Member All-Star Rocklobster's Avatar
    Really? I heard ozzy was doing drugs and drinking again. I guess he fell off the wagon after recording.

Hmmm. Thats what the fairly reputable metal site I read had to say about the album. I would agree that he probably fell off after recording. No surprise there.

The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar
    I actually really liked the new Sabbath song when it was released. At about 5 minutes in, I was thinking to myself, man this is pretty long...... for me though, it worked. Its Sabbath. From the first note to the end, you know its Sabbath. God can't be dead though because he graced us with Pro Tools to help clean up Ozzy's vocals...... OK, a slight rip on the Godfather of Metal, but all in good fun. I am curious to hear the other 7 tracks. I do believe I read that the new disc is only 8 tracks long. Maybe I am wrong on that.

Anyhow........ My favorite Sabbath isn't Ozzy Sabbath, it isn't Ronnie James Dio Sabbath...its actually Tony Martin Sabbath.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

PM me for price quotes for signature space.

Thread Information