Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Toronto Raptors Thread

This isn't necessarily a fantasy-only thread in my eyes, but hopefully it will be allowed to stay in the fantasy basketball section in lieu of a basketball discussion forum.

I'm a Toronto Raptors fan. I once thought it was cool that Vince Carter and I are the exact same age to the day...now I try to forget...and look toward a future where we might contend...we're a slasher/finisher with some grit & leadership away...Go Raps Go!

PS: nice win over the Celtics tonight!

yeah that was a great win. Two great Toronto games on at the same time. I was switchin back and forth like a madman.

Nevermore... All-Star flock-raven's Avatar
    I was very excited last night seeing that win over beantown

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    I was at that Celts game last night and the Raptors hit some big shots at the end but defensively they have some holes..

Go Celts..

Ford's back, good to see him out there.

Senior Member Second Liner smitty42's Avatar
    I was at the game last night: Best part:

Less than half a minute to go Carter fouls Barn behind the 3 pt. line.
    - Carter gets pissed off and gets T'd up.
    - Calderon hits the technical foul shot.
    - Barn hits all three foul shots "Real old fashioned 4 point play"

- New Jersey comes down misses the shot.
    - Calderon comes back and drains a three at the buzzer.
    - 7 points in half a minute.
    - In your face Vince Carter i'm glad you went to a team moving in the 'right' direction

Ploughing since 1985 All-Star Farmerbob42's Avatar
    dixon moved for brezec, not the most exciting move but they didn't want to mess around with their contracts and dixon was doing little

Future Hall of Famer First Liner vinzanity's Avatar
    Gives us another big man to log the lane. He runs pretty well for a man his size, so all around a solid move by the mastermind.

rumours he was trying to get pietrus but rebounding was more of an issue. It was a good move to get rid of fred jones and get dixon and now its a good move to get rid of dixon for brezec, ha. I think moon is what they were trying to get with jones.

I would have tried to get Gerald Green seeing as he went for so little, but I am not a NBA GM so...

at least it was more exciting than last years deadline haha

Can you see what I see??? Hall of Famer secol's Avatar
    hmm....Jamaal Magloire waived.....maybe if we didn't have Brezec.....

I love Calderon! (talk about a team player!)

Doug Smith
    Sports Reporter

Change is coming to the Raptors starting lineup tonight.

Rasho Nesterovic and T.J. Ford are in and Andrea Bargnani and Jose Calderon are out for the struggling squad as it faces the Detroit Pistons at the Air Canada Centre.
    The switch of Nesterovic for Bargnani is not a huge surprise given their play of late but changing point guards with only a dozen games left in the regular season is a big gamble and comes at the suggestion of the player being demoted.

After watching Ford struggle to find his way in a backup role, Calderon suggested – and coach Sam Mitchell agreed – that the move be made to kick-start Ford and, hopefully, the team as a whole.

Ford hasn't started a game since Dec. 12, a night when he suffered serious back and neck injuries after being clubbed to the floor by Atlanta's Al Horford.

The 25-year-old missed Toronto's next 24 games and also missed a couple of games with a strained abdominal muscle.

His play of late has been spotty, as he's found it difficult to adapt to a backup role. He's been dominating the ball on offence, trying to force himself on the game instead of simply running the offence.

Calderon, a restricted free agent at the end of the season, met with Mitchell and president Bryan Colangelo on Tuesday to discuss the switch. He sees the same things the coaches, teammates and fans do – that Ford is uncomfortable with the second unit and the team's play in deteriorating.

Toronto has won just three times in its last 14 games.

Nesterovic has proven over the last dozen games that he's worthy of being in the starting lineup. Inserted after Chris Bosh went out with a sore knee, the 31-year-old veteran averaged 13.2 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in 10 games. Overall as a starter this season, he's averaging eight points and six rebounds; he averaged four points and three rebounds coming off the bench.

Aside Bargnani's a 16-point first quarter against Denver on Sunday – the only points he scored in the game – the second-year centre has been wildly inconsistent this season.
    With just 12 games left in the regular season, the Raptors are battling Washington and Philadelphia for fifth, sixth and seventh place in the Eastern Conference. Toronto takes a 35-35 record into tonight's home game.

yeh i like calderon but i think ford has to be number one... would they ever play a bit together? though they dont really have another pg to do that much, but thats looked good at time

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbob42 View Post
    yeh i like calderon but i think ford has to be number one... would they ever play a bit together? though they dont really have another pg to do that much, but thats looked good at time
    Ford (and his baby act) can kiss my fat ass. I used to like the guy, but the shit has been pulling of late has left a very sour taste in my mouth. He's gone in the Summer - BC and Sam won't stand for that shit....just watch.

(How about Ford + AP + Bargnani for Wade + Wright - DWade is unhappy in MIA, Ford, AP and Bargs would be sweet to compliment Matrix...just thinking out loud)

Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Hopefully Toronto keeps losing. We don't stand a chance against CLE.

Senior Member Second Liner smitty42's Avatar
    So the playoffs are set: Orlando vs. Toronto first round opening Sunday.
    Regular Season: Orlando 2-1

Big's: Adv Raptors - Must control Dwight Howard and foul hard preventing dunks.
    - Humphries, Nesterovic, and Brezec allow for ample fouls. Bosh will take it to the grill of all Orlando's forwards, and mabe Barn will help out... thats a big maybe.

Wingmen: Adv Orlando - Rashard Lewis and Turkoglu are threats on the court and Moon and Parker will have the task of playing these guys. Raptors must not allow both to heat up, and limit their ability to make shots. Raptors must rely on bench players Delfino and Kapono to beat Orlando's bench players Bogans, Redick, Dooling.

Point Guards: Adv Raptors - Ford and Calderon are far superior than Nelson and Arroyo. Raptors must beat these two off the bounce allowing for penetration in the lane opening up the floor for the wings to make shots. Raps will also do a better job dishing to the bigs as well have the ability to make shots and drive to the bucket.

Overall both these teams do not have much playoff experience and the matchup is good for both teams learning curve. Raps must take advantage of their point guard advantage, limit Howard and not allow both Turkoglu and Lewis to heat up if they want to win this series.

Prediction: Raptors in six or seven.

what the hell happened to kapano, the big 3 threat, he completely dried up and not taking shots...

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbob42 View Post
    what the hell happened to kapano, the big 3 threat, he completely dried up and not taking shots...
    He's isn;t getting set up - they need to run set plays that give him the chance...that and he is having a bad year

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    He's isn;t getting set up - they need to run set plays that give him the chance...that and he is having a bad year
    I watched a video online where he could set and release a 3-pointer in .22 seconds.

Ford's amazing, I love how we start him over Calderon, even though we seem to play better with CAlderon. Ford's 1-9 get him the fuck out of the game.

ask and I shall receive. No more than 15 seconds after posting Calderon took off Ford.

at least kapano was making some shots. but wow, nice they came back but tanked it when they were within reaching distance

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    With the NHL playoff's on, MLB games, and the nice weather, I just cant get into much of the Raptors games right now, playoff's or no playoff's.

Senior Member Second Liner
    Go raps Go. i think they have to release mitchell or at least hire someone that are specialize in making plays
    i think Coach sam need to use kapono more
    14 teams Rotisserie (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO) Draft Trade FA
    C: Horcoff, Getzlaf
    LW: Zetterberg,
    Cammarlleri RW: St Louis, Hemsky
    D: Chara, Markov, Wideman, Enstrom
    Utl:
    Elias G: Lundy, DiPietro
    BN: Conklin,
    Gagne (IR), Bouchard, Boyle (IR) Avery (IR)

Helluva game last night!!

Well, as much as I would like to blame the referees for this loss (the no call on Parker's basket and push off by Turkoglu in the last minutes of the game), Toronto just does not look like a team that deserves to make it past the first round.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    And that's all she wrote.

Can you see what I see??? Hall of Famer secol's Avatar
    wow all I really watched were the last two quarters.....and they SUCKED.....

Thread Information