Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sounds stupid.

What an awful ref.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    It was smart...nobody is debating that. What we are debating is whether that call should have been made and, if it is true the Wambach pressured the ref into making the call, then I think there is merit to the Cdn anger at the call. The ref fucked up.
    Agreed but the anger should be directed towards the refs and not the "ugly Americans".

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MTR View Post
    They also came from behind 3 times to tie the game up. Yes the thirdgoal comes after a questionable call on the Canadian goalie but the US were pushing forward hard to get that goal. They could have still scored that goal before the end of regulation. Canada especially Sinclair had a great game but they also let the lead slip 3 times during the course of regulation. I am not sure who the best team was because both played hard to get that win but don't just blow off one of the best teams currently in the world because the other team let the lead slip more than once and a bad call from the ref. Kudos to Canada for a great game.

Now as far as that call on the keeper. Yes they never call it or at least not without warning. The keeper said she was not warned from the head ref but did get something from one of the other refs. To me that means you have been warned if it came from a ref. Plus there is a report that says Wambach was actually counting near the ref because she was realizing how long she was taking to get rid of the ball and the ref actually did warn the keeper to speed it up. At the end of the day I am not sure. I don't think anyone saw her get warned but that doesn't mean she wasn't. I would have rather it not been made honestly. A few extra seconds is not really slowing the game down that much. Let it play out.
    Which also means that Canada was able to take the lead 3 times. So you'll give the Americans credit for coming back 3 times to tie it up (the 3rd time being with help from the ref), but yet you'll only give the Canadians a modicum of credit for legitimately taking the lead 3 times without any help from the ref? Seems like a bit of a double standard.

P.S. Wambach is a huge douche for what she did.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Usain Bolt is unreal. So fun to watch. LooKs like he's only going at about 70-80%.

Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    P.S. She didn't do anything. Get real refs in the Olympic games.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    Agreed but the anger should be directed towards the refs and not the "ugly Americans".

Ok, but nobody said ugly americans or questioned the US team. A link was posted that had 'ugly americans' in the titke, but otherwise we all questioned the horrible reffing.

PS: how was that not called a hand ball in the gold medal match. Wow

PPS: the ugly american sentiment is in reference to the comments some US women made after the game.
    Last edited by b_illin; 08-09-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Then why are people still bitching about this?

Ok, but nobody said ugly americans or questioned the US team. A link was posted that had 'ugly americans' in the titke, but otherwise we all questioned the horrible reffing.

PPS: the ugly american sentiment is in reference to the comments some US women made after the game.
    Then what is it? No one said it or it was in reference to comments after the game? It can't be both. If it's in the title of an article, you can't say that it wasn't said.

Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    Which also means that Canada was able to take the lead 3 times. So you'll give the Americans credit for coming back 3 times to tie it up (the 3rd time being with help from the ref), but yet you'll only give the Canadians a modicum of credit for legitimately taking the lead 3 times without any help from the ref? Seems like a bit of a double standard.

Double standard? The Canadians gave up the lead 3 times. They played a great time but the GAVE UP the lead 3 times. Both teams played a hell of a game and I am giving the Canadians credit for that. The fact remains though that they could not hold on to the lead. My money says US ties that game even if the ref didn't make that call. They were pushing hard on that attack and again Canada had given up tying goals earlier in the game.

As far as Wambach goes she did what she could to help her team win. She noticed the keeper was holding onto the ball a lot to slow the pace of the game when they were pushing the attack. She just made sure the ref noticed it as well. I would have done the same thing honestly and have done something similar in fact when I used to play.

I have no idea why that was not called a handball. It was definitely a handball.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    The Canadian womens team seem to have put this game behind them now that they have bronze. If they can put it behind them I think everyone else should now as well. It's over, nothing anyone can do now. They seem really happy with the bronze.

Sinclair even tweeted last night that she was just getting in at 4am and that she might even sleep with her medal.
    Last edited by two24four; 08-10-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Whole world has gone crazy.

Senior Member All-Star snoopzen's Avatar
    This might be interesting. Nike is not an official Olympic sponsor, and if athletes aren't wearing items that are part of the official country uniform, they're supposed to wear items from official Olympic sponsors. In this case, it's adidas.

Nike has also been running those ads showing athletes from around the world in cities/towns named "London". Not London, England, not directly linked to the Olympics (they're not allowed to do that), but the commercials are creating that mental link to the London 2012 Olympics in viewers anyway.

Yohan Blake of Jamaica is facing similar controversy right now over the $500,000 watch (you heard that right) he's been wearing throughout the games.
    http://www.inquisitr.com/298260/yoha...im-in-trouble/

Thread Information