Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2012 London Olympics

Post anything you find particularily interesting/inspiring here.

Haven't watched it yet, but early reports are that Paul McCartney was pretty bad during the opening ceremony.

Looking forward to watching swimming and track & field events with my kids. Pretty much don't care a whole lot about the rest.

Jordyn Wieber works at the Summit gymnastics center that is in the same complex as my business. Hope she gets gold. Rooting against our basketball team and Michael Phelps (douche). Hope to see lots of Alex Morgan.

Thats pretty much it. Track meets are boring.

And Beijing's opening ceremonies kicked the shit out of this crap I'm watching now.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    I thought it was great.

Senior Member All-Star canuckthug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    I thought it was great.
    Overall I thought it was good. At least they didn't fuck up the cauldron. The text message/cell phone (family life?) part of the ceremony was stupid. The industrial revolution was well done and i thought the additions of 007 and Mr. Bean was pretty cool.

Mr. Bean was a huge hit in our household. Very proud.

Quote Originally Posted by nineoneone View Post
    Overall I thought it was good. At least they didn't fuck up the cauldron. The text message/cell phone (family life?) part of the ceremony was stupid. The industrial revolution was well done and i thought the additions of 007 and Mr. Bean was pretty cool.
    I think the idea was cool, to show the social media era that we live in and how it all works. Just tough to execute it I'm sure. Have to say, I'm very impressed with anyone who can coordinate a performance on a scale that big. A very impressive feat in my eyes.

What a joke NBC has turned out to be this Olympics.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    What a joke NBC has turned out to be this Olympics.
    I can't believe they dont show alot of events live. They wait to put it on in prime time. So glad it's not like that here.

Looking forward to this weekend when Bolt runs.

Who'd have thought that badminton would be the first source of major controversy in these games?

I didn't see any of the footage, but based on how it's being described I'm happy they cracked down on the athletes here. But they should change the format of the tournament to avoid this temptation in the first place.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Mary Spencer is a hometown girl and a few people i know have trained at her boxing club. She is a favorite of mine and im hoping for GOLD!!! But honestly a medal would be awesome....this girl deserves it. In case nobody has ever heard of our beloved covergirl LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpmN74tTQ1E
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

For people in Canada. CBC has won the rights to show the Olympics in 2014 (winter) and 2016 (summer) games.

Wtf on the free kick that led to the penalty kick that allowed the US ladies soccer team to tie the game up 3-3. What a horribly ref'ed match.

Edit: horrible call on the US corner at stoppage...thankfully nothing came of it
    Last edited by b_illin; 08-06-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Senior Member All-Star canuckthug's Avatar
    Heartbreaker for sure.

I only caught the OT periods after reading online about it being the single greatest women's soccer game of all time (and one of the worst reffed, too).

But what an ending... heartbreaking for the Canadians, exhilarating for Team USA. Amazing goal.

Just saw the highlights -- that hand ball call (and the delay of game before that) were complete bullshit. Wow, brutal.

As unjust as it may seem... USA were worthy winners.

Heartbreaking for Canada though, that Sinclair is a belter of a player.

Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    As unjust as it may seem... USA were worthy winners.

Heartbreaking for Canada though, that Sinclair is a belter of a player.
    Worthy winners? They were playing with 12 women the whole game.

Worthy winners? They were playing with 12 women the whole game.
    They were the better side.

AKA worthy winners.

Hahaha, I'm not even going to bother

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Hahaha, I'm not even going to bother
    I will...

Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    They were the better side.

AKA worthy winners.
    They needed OT AND massive help from the ref to win. How does that makes them 'the better side?'. If they were so much better, they would've won in regulation with no help from the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    I will...

They needed OT AND massive help from the ref to win. How does that makes them 'the better side?'. If they were so much better, they would've won in regulation with no help from the refs.
    Agreed 100%.

It was a joke that game came down to that.

I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I was glued to that game.

You guys don't watch soccer enough. Not worth getting into it.

A team can lose 3-0 and still be the better team on the day.

And that's my point, USA WERE the better team. Regardless of the blunder from the Ref (horrible call).
    Last edited by dw13; 08-07-2012 at 01:45 PM.

^ and ugly Canadians not being gracious losers

"We feel like we didn't lose," Sinclair said. "We feel like it was taken from us. It's a shame in a game like that, which is so important that the ref decided the result before the game started."
    "We feel like we got robbed in this game," McLeod said. "We outplayed the Americans for the entire game."
    It was a hard-fought, emotional game between two teams who obviously don't have a whole lot of love for each other. To use a couple of quotes from immediately after the game when the emotions are still high as an example of some sort of national character flaw is stretching it a weeee bit, IMO.

Typical hyper-sensitive Canadian blogger.

Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post

They also came from behind 3 times to tie the game up. Yes the thirdgoal comes after a questionable call on the Canadian goalie but the US were pushing forward hard to get that goal. They could have still scored that goal before the end of regulation. Canada especially Sinclair had a great game but they also let the lead slip 3 times during the course of regulation. I am not sure who the best team was because both played hard to get that win but don't just blow off one of the best teams currently in the world because the other team let the lead slip more than once and a bad call from the ref. Kudos to Canada for a great game.

Now as far as that call on the keeper. Yes they never call it or at least not without warning. The keeper said she was not warned from the head ref but did get something from one of the other refs. To me that means you have been warned if it came from a ref. Plus there is a report that says Wambach was actually counting near the ref because she was realizing how long she was taking to get rid of the ball and the ref actually did warn the keeper to speed it up. At the end of the day I am not sure. I don't think anyone saw her get warned but that doesn't mean she wasn't. I would have rather it not been made honestly. A few extra seconds is not really slowing the game down that much. Let it play out.

Canada wins bronze over France in womens soccer. France out played them big time.

Take that after the last game.
    Last edited by two24four; 08-09-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MTR View Post
    They also came from behind 3 times to tie the game up. Yes the thirdgoal comes after a questionable call on the Canadian goalie but the US were pushing forward hard to get that goal. They could have still scored that goal before the end of regulation. Canada especially Sinclair had a great game but they also let the lead slip 3 times during the course of regulation. I am not sure who the best team was because both played hard to get that win but don't just blow off one of the best teams currently in the world because the other team let the lead slip more than once and a bad call from the ref. Kudos to Canada for a great game.

Now as far as that call on the keeper. Yes they never call it or at least not without warning. The keeper said she was not warned from the head ref but did get something from one of the other refs. To me that means you have been warned if it came from a ref. Plus there is a report that says Wambach was actually counting near the ref because she was realizing how long she was taking to get rid of the ball and the ref actually did warn the keeper to speed it up. At the end of the day I am not sure. I don't think anyone saw her get warned but that doesn't mean she wasn't. I would have rather it not been made honestly. A few extra seconds is not really slowing the game down that much. Let it play out.
    This is true...and the report I read also said Wambach started counting when our keeper was still on the ground. (then apparently she was laughing when the ref made the call)

So, basically, to Cdns, it appears Wambach pressured the ref into making a call that very well may have determined the game.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    This is true...and the report I read also said Wambach started counting when our keeper was still on the ground. (then apparently she was laughing when the ref made the call)

So, basically, to Cdns, it appears Wambach pressured the ref into making a call that very well may have determined the game.
    While I can see why someone might be upset with that, to me, that's pretty damn smart. Not really any different than what we see in other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    While I can see why someone might be upset with that, to me, that's pretty damn smart. Not really any different than what we see in other sports.
    It was smart...nobody is debating that. What we are debating is whether that call should have been made and, if it is true the Wambach pressured the ref into making the call, then I think there is merit to the Cdn anger at the call. The ref fucked up.

Thread Information