Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by moans View Post
    WOW PAterno fired
    http://tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=380069

Does not deserve that at all.
    Yeah, no, he deserves more.

Good riddance, JoePa. Hope you can sleep at night.

I'm not defending this Sandusky guy who sounds like a sick fuck, but what happened to innocent til proven guilty? I don't like the media circus surrounding this (are there no actual sports stories espn??) and I really am pissed that joe is getting reemed and essentially fired for something we all know little about. Whether he swept this under the rug the rug or not, he deserves better...at least until the accusations are proven.

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    I'm not defending this Sandusky guy who sounds like a sick fuck, but what happened to innocent til proven guilty? I don't like the media circus surrounding this (are there no actual sports stories espn??) and I really am pissed that joe is getting reemed and essentially fired for something we all know little about. Whether he swept this under the rug the rug or not, he deserves better...at least until the accusations are proven.
    Stop with the posts like this. Read the grand jury report and then come back and post.

This is not about football.

Yes your honour

Baffling comments, Bill.

Yes your honour
    Sorry to jump on you like that but this could be the biggest story in sports history when all is said and done. Look at how menial Ohio State and Miami compare to this.

The entire leadership had to go from the athletic department, the gravity of the charges warrant that and they are not unfounded. The thing with Penn State is that Joe Paterno doesn't work for anyone there. He had a level of responsibility and authority to do the right thing and failed miserably. Its not good enough for him to pass the buck up the chain of command as if he is just a random coach there.

I think anyone and everyone who is taking interest in this and wants to form an opinion needs to read the Grand Jury Report.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Sorry to jump on you like that but this could be the biggest story in sports history when all is said and done. Look at how menial Ohio State and Miami compare to this.

The entire leadership had to go from the athletic department, the gravity of the charges warrant that and they are not unfounded. The thing with Penn State is that Joe Paterno doesn't work for anyone there. He had a level of responsibility and authority to do the right thing and failed miserably. Its not good enough for him to pass the buck up the chain of command as if he is just a random coach there.
    Agreed. This is a terrible incident from which the university needs to wash their hands and move on. Keeping him on would bring unnecessary attention to a program and school that needs to move on from this.

Paterno claimed that he loves the school and wants to do what was best for them but his statements were contrary to that "belief". He kept saying that I want to coach against Nebraska and I want to coach for the rest of the year and then retire. While I understand that he is and has always been a football coach and that's pretty much all that he knows but, if he really wanted to do right by the university, he would have looked for a way to deflect attention in this instance and the only way to do that would have been to retire immediately, let justice run it's course, and let everyone involved move on. There is no way that could have been possible if he stayed.

He has also claimed that he is an educator. Educators don't do what he did (or didn't do) in this case.

Luckily, I never got the memo that, if something happens that I disagree with, rioting, setting fires, and flipping cars is the way to show my displeasure.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    He had a level of responsibility and authority to do the right thing and failed miserably.
    How's that saying go, "with great power comes great responsibility." If you hear about something like this you don't just do the bare minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    Luckily, I never got the memo that, if something happens that I disagree with, rioting, setting fires, and flipping cars is the way to show my displeasure.
    I was thinking the same thing. Seems ridiculous to me now but then I remembered what I was like at 19, 20, 21....

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    I think anyone and everyone who is taking interest in this and wants to form an opinion needs to read the Grand Jury Report.
    It's sick enough as it is, but now that I'm a parent it gets to me even more

Penn State Scandal

This deserves its own thread. Especially if this story is even partially true. It just keeps getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ih8music View Post
    This deserves its own thread. Especially if this story is even partially true. It just keeps getting worse.
    Crazy thing is that this is less than a week old. I have a feeling this is going to run way deeper into college football circles and the Penn State family. A broadcaster broke this story back in April prior to the grand jury report but it was discounted and brushed off. Now that broadcaster is alleging even more shocking details...tough to call him a liar given what has come true.
    http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sa...rk-madden.html

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/onward...b_1085201.html

This kind of gives some voice to how I've been feeling about it.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyis#1 View Post
    The report says that's what he said he saw, Curley, Shultz and Paterno's said he said differently, and their actions mirror that belief.

Curley and Shultz completely aside, I think Paterno thought this wasn't a serious allegation. Because Joe Paterno hearing the some variation of the words "Sandusky molested a child in the showers" and just kicking the can to the next curb defies everything we've come to know about his moral integrity over almost half a century.
    You sound like a religious nut. He knew the boy got raped and shut up about it because protecting his friend meant more than protecting little boy's assholes. Get over it man, stop hanging your idols so importantly above your head, millions of other people respected this man who we now know kept his mouth shut after hearing of child rape. They all had to change their mind to, stop obstructing your mind from accepting obvious truths based on established reputation. The reputation of any college football coaching legend is jaded. They're respected because they win, it has nothing to do with their character. He donates to charity? ...wow, hes a millionaire in cause you haven't heard. If you don't understand this, heres a quick lesson: when you enter that salary range and a position of his prestige, it becomes a detriment to your career NOT to donate/raise money for charity. I'm not saying to deprive him of any credit but stop sitting there and naming lame points that don't even speak of his actual character. You have no legit reason to think he would be above this.

Hes a leader in his community? No, hes another college head coach who's dick got sucked by everyone in his community.

He "overall enriched the life of countless PSU students"......that would be his job. Honestly, your bias is spewing out of every pore. Nothing you mentioned even suggests hes a particularly commendable guy whatsoever. Just another successful public figure who knew how to act. What we do know is that with the ability to either protect his friend or have him arrested for child molestation (and by result spare many other children from similar fates), he chose to protect his friend. Every one of your insignificant, trivial "pros" for Paterno got trumped and he becomes a piece of shit human being. Period.

Glad he got fired. Deserves way worse. Anyone who knew and did nothing deserves worse. That dumbass who called his father instead of the police deserves worse. Fucking idiots. Kids getting raped trumps any sort of mulligan you want to give anybody because of the absurdity of the situation, or potential trauma caused by witnessing such events. It all pales in comparison to knowing you could've helped avoid the molestation of an indeterminable amount of children by making a simple phone call. Disgusting.
    Last edited by Kyle; 11-10-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Football coaches make universities more money than literally any other individual on their entire payroll. Respect is inevitable when you have that job at a prestigious university and aren't a failure at it. Your character becomes irrelevant at that point, you will be a community leader and garner massive respect and praise if you succeed at a big university as a college football coach.

2010 Dead Pool Champion All-Star Hockeyis#1's Avatar
    So how do we judge commendable people then Kyle?

You know them or you know genuinely amazing things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post

I can't say that I agree with the overall sentiment. Of course, Sandusky is the main villain in all of this but, in my opinion, you don't hear his name much lately because his case is such a slam dunk. Once his case was "closed", the media moved on to the next wave of people. While Penn State handled this like complete shit, anything that portrays Paterno as a victim in any way, which your article clearly does, is way off. I really don't give a shit about a misstep here or there because, in the end, they got it right for the most part. Paterno had to go and it had to be now. Keeping him around would do nothing but keep that fire burning longer than it needed to. He was part of quite possibly the biggest and quickest fall from grace in history and keeping him around for a handful more games would accomplish nothing. As long as he was around, this would continue to be the top story. Getting rid of him now lets the story slowly fade away.

In the end, I'm sure that at least most of the truth will come out so his legacy will be what it is. Either way, he had to go and he had to go now.

How does McQueary still have a job?

I see it as 2 possible reasons:

1. With all of the shit going on, they haven't gotten to him yet.
    2. He knows more than has been reported and/or they know that it's going to be another shitstorm once he is let go and he is able to speak his mind.

Senior Member All-Star
    I can't say that I agree with the overall sentiment. Of course, Sandusky is the main villain in all of this but, in my opinion, you don't hear his name much lately because his case is such a slam dunk.
    Well that or people only listen to ESPN or listen to sport talk shows so of course they're going to hear more about JoePa than anyone else

2010 Dead Pool Champion All-Star Hockeyis#1's Avatar
    The PSU board has no intention of firing McQueary. They asked he not be on the sideline for his own safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post

x 2 (and this is what I was eluding to yesterday when I said JoePa deserved better than how he was treated...basically dumped because of the intense media storm over a 36-48hr period!)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyis#1 View Post
    The PSU board has no intention of firing McQueary. They asked he not be on the sideline for his own safety.
    How can you be so sure? All that I know is that they haven't fired him yet.

x 2 (and this is what I was eluding to yesterday when I said JoePa deserved better than how he was treated...basically dumped because of the intense media storm over a 36-48hr period!)
    So, this has nothing to do with cleaning house after the school went through quite possibly the most offensive act imaginable? Keeping him around served no purpose other than to give him a farewell tour. I find it to be extremely ignorant to make Paterno out to be any kind of victim in this incident. Everyone that played a part should be gone, IMHO, and that includes Paterno.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Im rather ignorant here guys and im sorry if how i feel is out of realm but if they were running charity homes and abusing/selling kids on top of ANAL RAPPING its got to be the most despicable thing i couldnt imagine.

This is the exact reason i believe in digging great big holes and forcing them to jump in. I know theres lots of sicko shit in the world and this (to some degree) may not be the worst of them all but if what ive heard is even close to accurate it surely the biggest pile of shit we will ever see in our lifetimes (hopefully) Bury them all!!!
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

He is Penn State's recruiting coordinator.

Sadly this is the likely reason he is still there. If he goes then Penn State is basically 1970 Marshall as a football program.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    http://www.thepostgame.com/commentar...firing-paterno

Interesting take on the Paterno situation...
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

More stupid than interesting, to be perfectly blunt. The only world that scenario matters in is a world full of dumbasses outraged over Paterno getting fired. Those are the same dumbasses who would be mad at a girl for having their favorite coach fired for raping her, because they simply don't give a shit about the reprehensible moral acts that took place. Should said coach keep his job for a little while in that case just so the girl isn't picked on by her friends? What a joke to even imply! To sit there and say the board shouldn't have fired Paterno because there are braindead, mindless, ignorant dumbass tools in this world who would actually direct their anger towards the victims over it, is just absurd! There was no legitimate reason to actually consider NOT firing Paterno at this point. It would've been a disaster to keep him around much moreso than the results of firing him.

Its amazing how asking dumb, obvious questions and pointing fingers makes any article compelling, regardless how void of any actual substance it is. Its truly amazing me right now that anyone on the planet is anything but supportive of the decision to fire Paterno. There was nothing to consider, no other way to approach it. He needed to go immediately.

How can you be so sure? All that I know is that they haven't fired him yet.

So, this has nothing to do with cleaning house after the school went through quite possibly the most offensive act imaginable? Keeping him around served no purpose other than to give him a farewell tour. I find it to be extremely ignorant to make Paterno out to be any kind of victim in this incident. Everyone that played a part should be gone, IMHO, and that includes Paterno.
    No, but making a rash decision and dumping him as they did was not the right move either...two wrongs don't make a right. Instead of firing him so quickly because of the growing public outrage that was being stoked by ESPN's (etc.) obsession with his involvement, they should have let him resign at the least.

If he declined that option if they offered it, then ok, but I think the school owed him more than dumping him so fast and in that manner.

PS: the guy did SO much for that program and that school over the years....a real loyal guy....and PSU showed almost no loyalty whatsoever. This was done simply to appease the public and limit the outrage towards PSU with public opinion. It also makes him look like he is the really bad guy when Sandusky is the horrible one.

PPS: while some of you are amazed and outraged at some of the things that I have said, I am equally amazed at how absolute some of you seem to be about this whole scenario. All I was suggesting was letting this shake out as it will shake out instead of everyone from radio jockeys to sportscasters to journalists to everyday dudes like us decide the fate of JoePa based on emotional reactions to something we know little about...Grand Jury report or not.

All of this was very rash and reactionary...100 years ago ppl would be camping on his front lawn with pitchforks and torches!
    Last edited by b_illin; 11-11-2011 at 11:13 AM.

No, but making a rash decision and dumping him as they did was not the right move either...two wrongs don't make a right. Instead of firing him so quickly because of the growing public outrage that was being stoked by ESPN's (etc.) obsession with his involvement, they should have let him resign at the least.

If he declined that option if they offered it, then ok, but I think the school owed him more than dumping him so fast and in that manner.

PS: the guy did SO much for that program and that school over the years....a real loyal guy....and PSU showed almost no loyalty whatsoever. This was done simply to appease the public and limit the outrage towards PSU with public opinion. It also makes him look like he is the really bad guy when Sandusky is the horrible one.

PPS: while some of you are amazed and outraged at some of the things that I have said, I am equally amazed at how absolute some of you seem to be about this whole scenario. All I was suggesting was letting this shake out as it will shake out instead of everyone from radio jockeys to sportscasters to journalists to everyday dudes like us decide the fate of JoePa based on emotional reactions to something we know little about...Grand Jury report or not.

All of this was very rash and reactionary...100 years ago ppl would be camping on his front lawn with pitchforks and torches!
    Resigning might have been an option but that apparently isn't what he wanted unless it was on his terms. He continued to make it about him. I want to coach this game and I want to coach through the end of the season. 2 wrongs don't make a right? This isn't an ethics class. A vulgar act was committed and he played a part in the actions and inaction, no matter how small. Why keep him around? I don't like the way that Penn State handled this but, ultimately, Paterno had to go. You keep harping on how it went down but I haven't heard you say much on whether Paterno eventually had to go. If he did, I don't see any benefit to letting him finish the season rather than just closing this chapter now and moving on. This isn't about Paterno, no matter how big he was there. This is about the university and the student body. What went down trumps any clout that he had there.

Where I will agree with you is that in criminal and civil court, this should be played out completely. Those standards aren't applicable when it comes down to getting rid of him and starting to move on from this or keeping him around so it can fester for another few months.

EDIT: More along the lines of my thought process that he should get his day to say what he knew but that he had to go:

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/11/1...r_a5&eref=sihp

I rarely agree with what this guy writes.
    Last edited by Doctego; 11-11-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Thread Information