Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    This is what I mean Kyle - the grand jury report is not conclusive. I am not trying to suggest that there is any funny business going on, but the settlement will be a lot bigger with Joe Paterno's name involved...and the lawyers know that. Again, I don't think this is the case, but this quick rush to judgement by everyone is too much for me...a modern day lynch mob. I think that is absurd.
    But it is conclusive that they received a report of inappropriate sexual conduct from a member of their staff (regardless of whether it actually happened or not) and failed to report it properly. Furthermore, Shultz and Curley have been charged with perjury for lying to the Grand Jury about what they were told.

You're right, until someone is actually convicted of something we won't know all the facts and how much of this is true... but the fact that a cover-up of some degree occurred is not in question here. The only question is how deep of a cover-up was there and how many of these acts did they know about (and again, not report).

The University's board is also trying to do damage control from both a legal and PR perspective -- it makes perfect sense for them to get rid of anyone involved. (not firing McQueary yet is weird, but I heard he might be protected by a whistleblower law?)

Regardless, when it comes to protecting an alleged child molester, there's a very low bar for tolerance... as in none.

2010 Dead Pool Champion All-Star Hockeyis#1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ih8music View Post
    , but instead they chose to protect the program/university/their buddy over the child (who they never even attempted to identify and is still unknown).
    This is the statement I don't understand. Sandusky didn't work for the program anymore. How is NOT reporting him protecting the program and university that no longer employed him? Should they have come straight out and done then what's being done now, PSU does the same thing. They separate themselves completely from any questionable people. They did it currently with Spanier, Curley, Shultz, JoePa (and probably McQueary eventually). In the scenario where they come straight out with it, they simply dump non-employee Sandusky, and come out looking much, much better.

Protecting him, sure that makes sense. But if anything they're jeopardizing the program and university to do that.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyis#1 View Post
    This is the statement I don't understand. Sandusky didn't work for the program anymore. How is NOT reporting him protecting the program and university that no longer employed him? Should they have come straight out and done then what's being done now, PSU does the same thing. They separate themselves completely from any questionable people. They did it currently with Spanier, Curley, Shultz, JoePa (and probably McQueary eventually). In the scenario where they come straight out with it, they simply dump non-employee Sandusky, and come out looking much, much better.

Protecting him, sure that makes sense. But if anything they're jeopardizing the program and university to do that.
    They have been protecting Penn State since this shit originally happened in 1998 or whenever it was. At that time, they could have either turned him in or they could have just parted company and hoped that this mess would just go away. They did the latter so all future transgressions fall on their lap as well. That doesn't change just because he wasn't still drawing a paycheck from the school.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Paterno statue coming down within the next couple weeks. Thanksgiving I believe.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkOf94cgXU"]South Park - Penn State Scandal - YouTube[/ame]

Joe Amendola, the attorney for Jerry Sandusky, needs to think twice before he references another 800 phone number.

Amendola spoke with reporters after waiving Sandusky's preliminary hearing today, and addressed the allegation that Penn State assistant football coach Mike McQueary witnessed Sandusky rape a boy in a campus locker room.

If you believe that, Amendola said, "I suggest you dial 1-800-REALITY."

Deadspin decided to follow up and dial that number, and discovered it's a number for a gay-sex phone service. (We verified it, too.)

The recorded welcome says the phone service is "the hottest place for triple-X action."
    amazing.

Paterno is finally doing an interview:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...w-on-saturday/

Great. No video. Print with some audio clips.

Much of what helps us decipher these things is body language, facial expressions, etc. I really hope that she won't ask softball questions but I doubt it.

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Seems like its going to be at least a bit bogus

NCAA sanctions announced.

With the wins from 1998-2011 vacated, Paterno drops from 409 wins to 298, dropping him from first to 12th on the winningest NCAA football coach list.
    Ouch. So much for that Paterno legacy so many PSU fans were concerned about.

For those that have so blindly supported him and the program, I don't even know if stripping him of the victories will matter. They will say that he has the "real record".

Senior Member All-Star canuckthug's Avatar
    No Bowl games for 4 years, good luck recruiting players!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    For those that have so blindly supported him and the program, I don't even know if stripping him of the victories will matter. They will say that he has the "real record".
    Yep. My lovely PSU-addicted cousin has been particularly obnoxious on Facebook the past day or so. Convinced that the truth will come out eventually and the NCAA will owe PSU & the Paterno family a huge apology.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ih8music View Post
    Yep. My lovely PSU-addicted cousin has been particularly obnoxious on Facebook the past day or so. Convinced that the truth will come out eventually and the NCAA will owe PSU & the Paterno family a huge apology.
    Honestly, I'm not sure anyone will really care. Regardless of Paterno's actions or lack of them, it's kind of weird to try and revise history like that.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar
    So........ O'Brien.... For what he did with the program, shouldn't be be coach of the year?
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

PM me for price quotes for signature space.

Thread Information