Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Penn State Scandal

This Penn State thing is sickening.

Senior Member First Liner
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This Penn State thing is sickening.
    Agreed, hoping Sandusky gets life in prison in a max security prison, with a lot of time in the general population area.

But people knew something was up in 1998 and for the director of campus police and a distrcit attorney to sweep it under the rug is disgusting, as well as it to get swept under again in 2002. A lot of lives could have been saved from being permanently scarred from this vile (is there another kind) pedophile.

I feel bad for fans, students, and alumni of that school. I can't imagine how the ones with common sense feel today. If it happened at my school I would be done forever.

I feel bad for fans, students, and alumni of that school. I can't imagine how the ones with common sense feel today. If it happened at my school I would be done forever.
    Yeah, it's absolutely stunning, really. Atleast the few people I've seen talk or heard that are students / alum, talk with some common fucking sense. The world has very little of that today.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t11_a2

For anyone defending Paterno or anyone else who knew about this in 1998 or 2002, this is a good article.

Especially the end, 'What would you do? For most of us, the answer is simple: A lot more'

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    To be fair, Paterno is claiming he had no idea any of that was going on, and thus far, there's no evidence to say he, personally, did as far as I've read.

But yes, very reprehensible situation for those with evidence of involvement. All my Penn State alumni friends are severely pissed off.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post
    To be fair, Paterno is claiming he had no idea any of that was going on, and thus far, there's no evidence to say he, personally, did as far as I've read.

But yes, very reprehensible situation for those with evidence of involvement. All my Penn State alumni friends are severely pissed off.
    This is what Paterno knew and said.

"As my grand jury testimony stated, I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the grand jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As Coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators."

IMO Paterno had the moral obligation to do a lot more in this situation and his inaction as well as lot of others left Sandusky out of jail for 9 more years then he should have been and the inaction in 1998 left him out of jail for 13 more years then he should have been.
    Last edited by habsfan1; 11-07-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post

According to the Grand Jury Report, the grad assistant (McQueary) reported "anal rape" to Joe Paterno. The bottom line is that it was never reported to the authorities by either Paterno or McQueary which makes both reprehensible in my book. The fact that they are both on the field coaching this afternoon is inexcusable.

It definitely leaves a lot to be desired but Paterno was definitely approached by the Grad Assistant in 2002. The same Grad Assistant who eventually went to the police. While we don't know exactly WHAT the assistant told JoePa, he did go to the people above him and they decided to not take it further.

Not that JoePa did everything right but I refuse (at this point) to point a finger at him.

Not to mention that Paterno was still allowing this guy into the facility as recent as a week ago. With children up until 2007.

Not to mention that Paterno was still allowing this guy into the facility as recent as a week ago. With children up until 2007.
    Some real icky stuff.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    What kind of person witnesses "anal rape" and does nothing to intervene?

Forgetting about that for a moment, Paterno might have a legal excuse but, morally, he has none. I would be extremely surprised if he makes it much past his weekly press conference tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    What kind of person witnesses "anal rape" and does nothing to intervene?

Forgetting about that for a moment, Paterno might have a legal excuse but, morally, he has none. I would be extremely surprised if he makes it much past his weekly press conference tomorrow.
    Agreed whole heartedly. The part where McQueary witnessed this then went to his office and called his dad was pathetic. My father would kick my ass if ever did such a thing. A 60 year old man with a 10 year old leaves no moral grey area, stop what is happening and then call the police. Nothing in the employee handbook could possibly trump that.

Agreed whole heartedly. The part where McQueary witnessed this then went to his office and called his dad was pathetic. My father would kick my ass if ever did such a thing. A 60 year old man with a 10 year old leaves no moral grey area, stop what is happening and then call the police. Nothing in the employee handbook could possibly trump that.
    I hadn't heard/read any of the Grand Jury stuff until tonight.

And I completely agree.

This whole thing is utterly disturbing and not just on one account.

JoePa's presser canceled.

PSU is a joke. Every single person in authority that knew even a little bit, needs to be canned. Clean house right now.

This is fucking shocking. Are people listening to Matt Millen? He just suggested that Penn State can/needs to do all of this on their own timetable.

What the fuck is going on right now?

Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    This is fucking shocking. Are people listening to Matt Millen? He just suggested that Penn State can/needs to do all of this on their own timetable.

What the fuck is going on right now?
    I clearly said the ones with common sense.

I clearly said the ones with common sense.
    So you heard his shpeal on ESPN? Unreal.

It's Tuesday and Paterno and McQueary are still on the field coaching. How does this happen?

The only thing I can think of that parallels this is the Graham James situation in Canadian junior hockey. A coach who sexually abused teenagers. Big credit to guys like Sheldon Kennedy and Theo Fleury for coming forward to shed light on that situation. James was pardoned in Canada, which added to the mess, and was re-arrested on other charges. It was barely mentioned in the US but shocked the Canadian sports world.

Baffling. All of it. Joe Pa, McQueary and the PSU President still have a job?

Cmon.

Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    So you heard his shpeal on ESPN? Unreal.
    I heard Lavar Arrington as well. It seems as if they are circling the wagons around Paterno. He is the whole program. These guys should be limiting their comments and let this play out. It only makes them look worse as sponsors of ,2nd Mile, the PSU youth charity program that brought kids into the football facility.

I know a lot of people are claiming that Paterno is being scapegoated here, but this incident illustrates his guilt in the matter to me.

McQueary witnessed something clearly illegal & wrong, something that was really troubling -- yet he didn't feel like he could out one of Paterno's old friends to the police. He (and his dad, what a joke) decided that they'd report the incident to King Paterno and let him decide how to proceed.

That's quite a reflection of how Paterno is clearly the big dog on campus, and how all matters go through him. When he decided to not involve police, everyone else fell in line (as they knew they had to).

I tried reading the grand jury's report but couldn't make it past the first couple of pages. Disgusting stuff, on par with the Catholic Church's many scandals.

Quote Originally Posted by ih8music View Post
    I know a lot of people are claiming that Paterno is being scapegoated here, but this incident illustrates his guilt in the matter to me.

McQueary witnessed something clearly illegal & wrong, something that was really troubling -- yet he didn't feel like he could out one of Paterno's old friends to the police. He (and his dad, what a joke) decided that they'd report the incident to King Paterno and let him decide how to proceed.

That's quite a reflection of how Paterno is clearly the big dog on campus, and how all matters go through him. When he decided to not involve police, everyone else fell in line (as they knew they had to).

I tried reading the grand jury's report but couldn't make it past the first couple of pages. Disgusting stuff, on par with the Catholic Church's many scandals.
    Sums it up man.

People were more worried about a football program rather than innocent children. Disturbing.

Please ESPN, PLEASE take Matt Millen off the camera.

2010 Dead Pool Champion All-Star Hockeyis#1's Avatar
    I don't have it in me to not say something here, as a PSU student.

Until it comes out that Joe Paterno knew that the GA saw shit go down, and not just something "inappropriate". I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

For one simple reason, because he's Joe Paterno. For 46 years he's been more than a head coach of the football team. He's been a leader in the community, helped raised millions for charity, given to the special olympics, and overall enriched the lives of countless PSU students. He is by most any definition I can come up with, a terrific human being who think I can clearly say has integrity.

Because of all of that, I give Joe Paterno the benefit of the doubt of not knowing. Before this came out, no one questioned the moral integrity of JoePa. Because of that track record, I can't say I wouldn't trust him to do the right thing should he have known the magnitude.

People above him clearly fucked up and that's very disturbing. Should it come out that he did and then didn't do a thing more, fine. I'm wrong and deeply ashamed. Until then, I can't assume he knew and did nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyis#1 View Post
    Until it comes out that Joe Paterno knew that the GA saw shit go down, and not just something "inappropriate". I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...t11052011.html

Page 6 and 7. Go on, read it.

He saw Sandusky raping the child in the shower; called his Father and then went and told Coach Joe Paterno what he saw.

I'm sure you're going to say you don't believe that but I figured I'd let you know that the people saying the GA only told JoePa about "inappropriate stuff" are people who clearly haven't read the Grand Jury report.

2010 Dead Pool Champion All-Star Hockeyis#1's Avatar
    The report says that's what he said he saw, Curley, Shultz and Paterno's said he said differently, and their actions mirror that belief.

Curley and Shultz completely aside, I think Paterno thought this wasn't a serious allegation. Because Joe Paterno hearing the some variation of the words "Sandusky molested a child in the showers" and just kicking the can to the next curb defies everything we've come to know about his moral integrity over almost half a century.

Given what happened 4 years previous, even if the GA came to him and said, I saw Sandusky in the shower, with a young boy late night with no one around, it still warranted going to the police?

So many people fucked up in this situation and I don't think we can say everyone but JoePa falls into that category. He fucked up bad, IMO.

And his 3 minute little shpeal outside of his house tonight did nothing to discredit that, sadly.

Paterno retiring at end of the year.

Doesn't deserve that.

WOW PAterno fired
    http://tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=380069

Does not deserve that at all.

Thread Information