Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Really sad to hear Josh Hamilton relapsed again at a Dallas bar, hope gets through this. I know someone going through something like this as well, it's no joke.

My only thing is, how does anyone in the Dallas area let him drink in a bar, you can't tell me people around there don't know him and his story.
    Last edited by two24four; 02-03-2012 at 11:55 AM.

^ yeah, not cool the way some ppl have been lighting him up with their comments. Hopefully he can get back on track.

(Man am I glad that I don't have that gene...seen some friends with addictive personalities hit the gutter a few times)

Just watched his presser, good for him for stepping up and talking to media and going through everything that happend Monday night. I like that he always speaks from the heart, never has anything planned to say.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/...elapse-alcohol
    Last edited by two24four; 02-03-2012 at 02:31 PM.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Really sad to hear Josh Hamilton relapsed again at a Dallas bar, hope gets through this. I know someone going through something like this as well, it's no joke.

My only thing is, how does anyone in the Dallas area let him drink in a bar, you can't tell me people around there don't know him and his story.
    I don't know the specifics but I do know that, if he wants to drink, he's going to drink. There's nothing that anyone around him can do. I'm not saying that you are blaming others here but 100% of the blame goes to Hamilton here.

He's an adult.

His wife must be gutted. Sticking by him through all this shit and he has a fall-back. I really feel for his family.

Josh has a serious issue, needs help. Get out of baseball.

I agree he's a big boy with no one to blame but himself.

He can still play baseball and get help, he went from 2006 till 2009 without having a drink, then 2009 till now again without having a drink, even won AL MVP in there.

Rangers seem really good about helping him anyway they can, he is human after all.

He always seems to get himself into trouble in the off season, not during the season when he's busy playing.
    Last edited by two24four; 02-03-2012 at 05:58 PM.

I don't care how good he is.

He has a wife (and kids?). He has more things to focus on other than baseball, clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    I don't care how good he is.

He has a wife (and kids?). He has more things to focus on other than baseball, clearly.
    Agreed but to say that he needs to get out of baseball is somewhat shortsighted, though. The problem is him and, unfortunately, he takes himself wherever he goes. He will have these issues no matter what he does with his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    Agreed but to say that he needs to get out of baseball is somewhat shortsighted, though. The problem is him and, unfortunately, he takes himself wherever he goes. He will have these issues no matter what he does with his life.
    That to me is shortsighted, to say he's always going to have these issues. Numerous people have been in his boots and kicked it for life. Never to touch the shit again.

He clearly hasn't kicked his problem, and he needs more serious help. Staying in baseball isn't going to fix his addiction.

If the Rangers want to 'help' like they're making it out to be. I'd tell him get into rehab again.

Once you are an alcoholic you are always one, he's just having a tougher time getting away from it then some people, and he's not the only one.

I guess I see things abit different, I try to see the good in everyone.

I'm not going to sit here and act like I know him, I don't, but I have read his book, and watched alot of his video's online, and I don't mean him hitting the ball 400 feet, Iam talking about his I am second video, and his tons and tons of video's of him doing public speaking trying to help people who might be going down the same path as him, you can tell he wants to help, and that he wants to be sober himself.

Leaving baseball might be the worst thing for him right now.
    Last edited by two24four; 02-03-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Once you are an alcoholic you are always one, he's just having a tougher time getting away from it then some people, and he's not the only one.

I guess I see things abit different, I try to see the good in everyone.

I'm not going to sit here and act like I know him, I don't, but I have read his book, and watched alot of his video's online, and I don't mean him hitting the ball 400 feet, Iam talking about his I am second video, and his tons and tons of video's of him doing public speaking trying to help people who might be going down the same path as him, you can tell he wants to help, and that he wants to be sober himself.

Leaving baseball might be the worst thing for him right now.
    My mother would beg to differ. And that's a shocking comment as far as I'm concerned.

He has serious issues, I only hope he takes the right steps in his recovery because his relapse seriously dents his recovery. He needs to be very careful.

My mother would beg to differ. And that's a shocking comment as far as I'm concerned.

He has serious issues, I only hope he takes the right steps in his recovery because his relapse seriously dents his recovery. He needs to be very careful.
    Why? I know someone going through some tough times himself right now, and that is what they tell him.

Why? I know someone going through some tough times himself right now, and that is what they tell him.
    It's certainly a life long battle, but that doesn't mean they're always alcoholics.

I don't mean to argue over little things, I just really hope Hamilton actually takes the right steps now. Because he's done nothing but hurt his family, those are the people I really feel for.

Good luck to the guy.

It's certainly a life long battle, but that doesn't mean they're always alcoholics.

I don't mean to argue over little things, I just really hope Hamilton actually takes the right steps now. Because he's done nothing but hurt his family, those are the people I really feel for.

Good luck to the guy.
    I agree 100% with that. He has a great wife who has stuck by him when most would have left along, long time ago.

Being a new father myself, I could not imagine putting my young family through something like this.

My dad was told his next drink could take his life, he never had another drink after being told that.

I agree 100% with that. He has a great wife who has stuck by him when most would have left along, long time ago.

Being a new father myself, I could not imagine putting my young family through something like this.

My dad was told his next drink could take his life, he never had another drink after being told that.
    My Mother is a recovering alcoholic, fortunately, and she's never been happier.

Congrats on the new one. Nothing beats being a father.

My Mother is a recovering alcoholic, fortunately, and she's never been happier.

Congrats on the new one. Nothing beats being a father.
    Thanks, I love it.

That's great about your mother, those are the storys you like to hear.

Good luck to the guy.
    That's the thing. Kudos to your mother but, according to AA and pretty much all other programs of recovery that I have seen, an alcoholic is always an alcoholic. You even said that she is a "recovering alcoholic". "Recovered alcoholic" would indicate that there is a point where going back to past behaviors isn't an option. Recovering indicates that it is a process that is continuing.

I know nothing about your mother nor the time that she has. That said, I'm not speaking out of my ass. I'm an alcoholic and, Lord willing, I will have 3 years sober at the end of this month. I know many people that had 10, 20, or more years clean and fucked all of that up in 1 night. Now, this means nothing about Josh Hamilton or your mother specifically. What is does mean is that I have many examples of people with significant time when, in the end, that time didn't mean a thing.

As for Josh Hamilton, I am contending that his issues will follow him whether he is in baseball or not. You could make a better argument for leaving the game if he was staying out all night on the road but it seems like his issues have been in the offseason, at least in recent times. I have no doubt that his issues would remain or get worse if he left the game but I guess that we won't know for sure until that happens.

I wasn't planning on going into this like this but we're all adults here that know each other fairly well.

That's the thing. Kudos to your mother but, according to AA and pretty much all other programs of recovery that I have seen, an alcoholic is always an alcoholic. You even said that she is a "recovering alcoholic". "Recovered alcoholic" would indicate that there is a point where going back to past behaviors isn't an option. Recovering indicates that it is a process that is continuing.

I know nothing about your mother nor the time that she has. That said, I'm not speaking out of my ass. I'm an alcoholic and, Lord willing, I will have 3 years sober at the end of this month. I know many people that had 10, 20, or more years clean and fucked all of that up in 1 night. Now, this means nothing about Josh Hamilton or your mother specifically. What is does mean is that I have many examples of people with significant time when, in the end, that time didn't mean a thing.

As for Josh Hamilton, I am contending that his issues will follow him whether he is in baseball or not. You could make a better argument for leaving the game if he was staying out all night on the road but it seems like his issues have been in the offseason, at least in recent times. I have no doubt that his issues would remain or get worse if he left the game but I guess that we won't know for sure until that happens.

I wasn't planning on going into this like this but we're all adults here that know each other fairly well.
    I get the whole 'you're always an alcoholic' thing because you need to remember your past, but I'm pretty sure my mother would take it as a slap in the face if you said something like that to her. She's worked her ass off to never have someone ever be able to call her an alcoholic again. That was my point.

As for Josh Hamilton, I just fear there are many other things now in his life he needs to deal with outside of baseball. If he can continue doing those things while dedicating his life to baseball, then by all means go for it. I'd just hate to see him not pay attention to the things that matter most in life. His health and his family.

And as for you, cheers for going clean. I've seen how it destroyed and cured my Mother, and I only wish the people fighting their addiction could kick it. Because I know the joy and the outcome of people who do beat it. And I also know the destruction behind the addiction itself.

I'll leave it at that. I don't think any of us 'disagree' here, just different thoughts.

I don't thinks it's shocking or wrong. It's a disease that you may be able to beat, but you still always have that disease in you imo. I watched an uncle get back on track, then slip back to the gutter, repeat etc for years...he was good for ages then he broke down and that ended up doing him in sadly..found him dead a week fully dressed in his bath tub.

Those demons are always there...good on your mom for keeping them bay, but they'll always be there in all liklihood.

Like I said previously, Bill, I must of interrupted it wrong because my Mother would take it as a serious kick in the nuts if you approached her like that.

That's all.

No need to post more. I have my feelings about Hamilton, he has serious issues. Good luck to the kid.

Gary Carter just passed away. RIP, Kid.

Wow, that's a shame.... only 57. I hadn't heard about the brain tumor. RIP.

Braun cleared.

What a weird situation...

Senior Member All-Star
    But only due to a technicality. Wonder how much this technicality really influenced the outcome of the test.

Ken Rosenthal twitter.

Sources: Additional wild cards a "go" for this season. Playoffs to expand from eight to 10 teams. Announcement tomorrow

I don't understand the bitching about the daily interleague schedule coming in 2013. Sure, it will devalue interleague play since it's every day. I get that. The problem that most people have is that some teams will play their last series of the season against the other league. So what? As long as they all play basically the same number of games, what does it matter? It's not ideal but I really don't see the big deal. So many people calling in today talking about Ortiz having to ride the pine (potentially) at the end of the season in a pennant race.

I don't understand the bitching about the daily interleague schedule coming in 2013. Sure, it will devalue interleague play since it's every day. I get that. The problem that most people have is that some teams will play their last series of the season against the other league. So what? As long as they all play basically the same number of games, what does it matter? It's not ideal but I really don't see the big deal. So many people calling in today talking about Ortiz having to ride the pine (potentially) at the end of the season in a pennant race.
    I agree doc, don't put your team in a situation where it needs to win the last series of the season to get into the playoffs and you won't have that problem.

I know this is last years off season thread but I did not feel like starting a new one.

Josh Hamilton just signed with the LAAAAAAAAA for 5 years. What a lineup they will have.

The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar
    I know this is last years off season thread but I did not feel like starting a new one.

Josh Hamilton just signed with the LAAAAAAAAA for 5 years. What a lineup they will have.
    Is the line up strong enough to bail out the pitching outside of Weaver?
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

PM me for price quotes for signature space.

Thread Information