Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    I understand the "piece of the pie" argument, and the entertainment value, but $250 million dollars is excessive.

Not only should there be a salary cap to help keep the league competitive, etc. but there should be one just to limit the ridiculous amount of money that's being paid to these players because it is way out of hand.

Senior Member All-Star
    It's all about being the best at what you do. Tenured professors at Harvard or Oxford make bank. The best plastic surgeons or lawyers make bank. Albert is the best at what he does and gets paid accordingly.

Sure it's a lot of money. But movie stars make tons of money. Musicians make tons of money. Managers of marketing firms that come up with tv commercials make tons of money. Agents of movie stars/musicians/sports stars make tons of money. Like doc said it's about entertainment value. Millions of people watch Pujols play, millions of people watch Leonardo DiCaprio movies, millions of people listen to Jay-Z's music, etc

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    I understand the "piece of the pie" argument, and the entertainment value, but $250 million dollars is excessive.

Not only should there be a salary cap to help keep the league competitive, etc. but there should be one just to limit the ridiculous amount of money that's being paid to these players because it is way out of hand.
    Supply and demand. There are only so many players of his calibre and there is ample demand for his services given the massive revenue stream in MLB, thus the mkt priced him at $250mm over 10 yrs.

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    Like that he went to the Angels because A.P signing with Miami would have sucked.

If Prince signs with an AL squad the AL will have pilfered 3 of the top 10 hitters in the game over the last year couning Adrian Gonzalez.

Albert - 250
    Tex - 160
    A.Gonz - 155
    Prince - 150 ? wont settle for a nickel less with Boras

Thats 715 million guaranteed for 4 guys. The Jags just sold for 750 last week.

Senior Member All-Star boredguy's Avatar
    While i'd like to see a salary cap for competitive reasons i don't see a problem with players getting paid like this. It's either them getting the money or the owners, makes no difference to me.

I defended Pujols contract, but there is no way CJ fucking Wilson is going to give value at $15.4mm/yr over 5 years! Hahahaha

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    I defended Pujols contract, but there is no way CJ fucking Wilson is going to give value at $15.4mm/yr over 5 years! Hahahaha
    I think this is more just them sticking it to Texas then anything here, I don't think they where to happy when they traded Napoli to the Jays only to see him with the Rangers a few days later, then he had a great season.

Starting four will be pretty sick though.

Weaver
    Haren
    Santana
    Wilson

That's alot of $$$$ for a #4 though.
    Last edited by two24four; 12-08-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    Put his 75 next to Lackey's 84 and he looks to be a steal

Senior Member All-Star
    Oh Ryan Braun.... *shakes head*

Is it me or did the Reds overpay for Latos?

I hate saying this, but nice trade by the Yanks.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    I hate saying this, but nice trade by the Yanks.
    I'm not loving it but I am biased towards Montero. His D isn't good enough to be a LT solution behind the plate but I loved his bat, especially his opposite field power. Unfortunately, they don't have much room at DH, either. I like Pineda but don't know anything about Campos. I don't like losing Noesi, either. They dealt from a strength and filled a need but I still don't love it. I see that they also signed Kuroda.

I really like this deal for the yanks as well. Pineda is a stud!

I always like to see a rookie accomplish the same feat in his second season.

Plus he'll be in New York.

We'll see.

Darvish signs with the Rangers for 6 years at 10 per

Senior Member All-Star canuckthug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HT9 View Post
    Darvish signs with the Rangers for 6 years at 10 per
    The Rangers paid Darvish $51 Million for his rights to negotiate and they decide to go to the wire to sign him. I wonder why it took so long. This was almost a colossal failure by the Ranger organization.
    [ however, i'm sure Darvish & his agency being greedy **** bags did not make the process any easier..]
    Last edited by canuckthug; 01-18-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nineoneone View Post
    The Rangers paid Darvish $51 Million for his rights to negotiate and they decide to go to the wire to sign him. I wonder why it took so long. This was almost a colossal failure by the Ranger organization.
    [ however, i'm sure Darvish & his agency being greedy **** bags did not make the process any easier..]
    How is this a failure?

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    How is this a failure?
    I never said it was a failure, i said it could have been a huge failure. If the Rangers failed to sign Darvish before today's 5 PM deadline, then he would have become a free agent, aka free to negotiate and sign to any team.
    In conclusion, Texas would have paid Darvish $51 Million for a few expensive lunches.

I never said it was a failure, i said it could have been a huge failure. If the Rangers failed to sign Darvish before today's 5 PM deadline, then he would have become a free agent, aka free to negotiate and sign to any team.
    In conclusion, Texas would have paid Darvish $51 Million for a few expensive lunches.
    That is mostly false. He would have become a free agent next season. For this season, he would have gone back to Japan. Texas would also have gotten their posting fee back if Darvish didn't sign with them in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    That is mostly false. He would have become a free agent next season. For this season, he would have gone back to Japan. Texas would also have gotten their posting fee back if Darvish didn't sign with them in time.
    ahhh, I did not know that...this changes everything. i thought Texas was screwed (blowed $51 Million) if they didnt get the deal inked by today...

I should have read the article because i thought Darvish also got the posting fee but the posting fee of $51,703,411 goes to the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters of Japan’s Pacific League. So overall, Texas paid $111 Million to get him but only pay Darvish $60 Million.

ahhh, I did not know that...this changes everything. i thought Texas was screwed (blowed $51 Million) if they didnt get the deal inked by today...

I should have read the article because i thought Darvish also got the posting fee but the posting fee of $51,703,411 goes to the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters of Japanís Pacific League. So overall, Texas paid $111 Million to get him but only pay Darvish $60 Million.
    Right. Posting fee goes to his old Japanese team upon agreeing to terms and $60M goes to Darvish in his contract. Actually 6 years at $56M with an extra $4M in incentives. Had he not agreed to terms, he would have gone back to his old team and then been free to sign with any major league team next season.

I must say, Iam really looking forward to watching Texas and the LAAAA play against one another this season, might just be the best rivalry in the MLB this upcoming season.

Senior Member All-Star
    After some time ago Leo Nunez turned out not to be Leo Nunez now Fausto Carmona is not Fausto Carmona. Nor is he 28 but 31.
    At least he chose a cool name. Go big or stay home, I guess.

With more and more Latin American players turning out not to be who they claim to be it makes you look a bit differently at the term "player to be named later" in a trade.

Wow...completely shocked by the Fielder signing!

If it 9 years and $214mm as reported, that is one horrible deal IMO!

If it 9 years and $214mm as reported, that is one horrible deal IMO!
    Can't see any reason why you'd think that. (Then again you talked about signing him for 3 years)

He can play DH at the latter stages of it, but for now, he'll protect (and be protected) by Miggy for the foreseeable future. He's overweight but it's never affected his health, or anything of the sort.

Think he's going to be a damn fine player for most, if not all, of the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    Can't see any reason why you'd think that. (Then again you talked about signing him for 3 years)

He can play DH at the latter stages of it, but for now, he'll protect (and be protected) by Miggy for the foreseeable future. He's overweight but it's never affected his health, or anything of the sort.

Think he's going to be a damn fine player for most, if not all, of the contract.
    Agreed. I like this deal for DET, Fielder is just 27 right now, which means he will be about 35 when this deal is up, not bad when you think about it, Pujols will be like 41 or 42 when his deal is up.

Cabrera and Fielder are going to be scary to play against. Best 3-4 hitters on one team in baseball.
    Last edited by two24four; 01-24-2012 at 04:46 PM.

So much for the "we're not moving Cabrera" talk that came out of Detroit when Martinez got hurt. I am talking positionally and not about a potential trade.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Cabrera and Fielder are going to be scary to play against. Best 3-4 hitters on one team in baseball.
    They better are since they'll be the worst defensive CI duo in the league.

$23mm+ for that length is ridiculous for pretty much any player. What did Prince give up? Tjat's a TITS deal for him. If a player wants tjat length of term, he takes a cut on the annual amount. I realize tjat means you probably don't get Fielder, but imo, if you want crazy money annually, it's on shorter terms.

I'd be willing to bet that contract looks horrible by 2019.

Thread Information