Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar

2011-2012 offseason

So Tony LaRussa is retiring, I wonder what this will do for Pujols now that he is a FA, might he move on as well now that his good friend LaRussa is no longer the manager.

Also it sounds like CC Sabathia is going to opt out of his contract with the Yanks.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Saw an interesting thought on Twitter that with Oswalts contract off the books, the Phils might consider making an offer to Cliff Lee's good friend CC Sabathia... can you imagine?

CC is heading West if I had to guess.

I don't think La Russa retiring affects Pujols. Chances were that La Russa would have retired before his future contract would end anyway. But his retiring does makes things more interesting for the Cards this off season.

"Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

HOTTY TODDY! Go Rebels! Eli was screwed!

EMAIL: mtr@rajahwwf.com
    AIM: MTR08

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    I don't expect CC to leave and I wouldn't read much into it. It has been a foregone conclusion for years that he was going to opt out. If he let this deal run out, he probably wouldn't command a top salary. As it is, he should be able to extend his current salary for 3-4 more years.

CC reupped.

Looks like we might have our 1st big FA signing of the off-season, sounds like Papelbon has signed with Philly, 4 years at $50M, CSNPhilly is reporting it, pending physical.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Looks like we might have our 1st big FA signing of the off-season, sounds like Papelbon has signed with Philly, 4 years at $50M, CSNPhilly is reporting it, pending physical.
    Soooo happy!!!

Whoa, I thought I saw the other day that Madson signed for $44mm - I guess some shit went down since that premature report!

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Whoa, I thought I saw the other day that Madson signed for $44mm - I guess some shit went down since that premature report!
    They are still figuring out the money, especially now with Papelbon signing, he probably won't get as much, but I hope he stays as our set-up man.

Now they are saying Papelbon's deal could be close to $60M.

It'll end up being an awful deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    It'll end up being an awful deal.
    Yeah it reminds me alittle of BJ Ryan with the Jays, guess we will see.

Sounds like the Marlins have made some pretty big offers to both Reyes and Pujols.

Houston is moving to the AL West in 2013, so there will be 15 teams in both the AL and NL.

Also it sounds like for sure two more wild card teams will be added in 2013, so 10 teams will make the playoffs.

Nathan signs with Texas, moving Feliz to the rotation. 2 year deal. As a Yankee fan, I like this. Nathan has become more hittable, especially in the postseason.

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    The next Red Sox manager is down to 2 guys...Bobby V and Gene Lamont

Given those 2 choices its just gotta be Bobby Valentine especially in light of how that team acted last year. New GM Ben Cherington's first choice was Dale Sveum and the new hand puppet GM was rebuffed right away, right before Theo hired him...thank god

Quote Originally Posted by Snipes16 View Post
    The next Red Sox manager is down to 2 guys...Bobby V and Gene Lamont

Given those 2 choices its just gotta be Bobby Valentine especially in light of how that team acted last year. New GM Ben Cherington's first choice was Dale Sveum and the new hand puppet GM was rebuffed right away, right before Theo hired him...thank god
    So, his first 2 moves will be having Epstein leave without getting compensation settled first and getting his 2nd (or worse) choice as manager. Good start.

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    So, his first 2 moves will be having Epstein leave without getting compensation settled first and getting his 2nd (or worse) choice as manager. Good start.
    Pretty much...at the beginning before they let Theo walk the media around here was talking about the Sox receiving either Garza or Castro as compensation, which probably was a stretch. But to let him walk before settling his compensation was inexcuseable. They have no leverage now and lucky to get a low level prospect or bucket of balls for him.

They have to plug at least 4 major dam breaks this offseason.

1) A closer...and they were talking Francisco Cordero which to me would be a disaster in waiting. I'd love to see Heath Bell but he'll cost a fortune so it could be somebody like K Rod who I'd at least take over Cordero.

2) They need to sign at least 2 FA starters with Lackey gone and Wake pasteurized. I keep hearing Buehrle's name thrown around along with Oswalt. Dont see J.H. opening the wallet for C.J Wilson though, not after the Lackey and Dice K fiasco's.

3) Catcher is another huge headache...Salty went completely down the shitter in September and how much does Tek have left...hip, hip, Jorge? no thanks.

4) And how is it even remotely possible to replace Heidi Watney's holes?

Senior Member All-Star
    So Reyes to the Fish with a monster deal. I'm guessing this means Hanley to 3rd and Reyes at SS (as opposed to Hanley at SS and Reyes at 2B). And I guess they're still trying to lure Pujols there as well, though I seriously doubt that happens. Still, looks like they're trying to generate some interest this offseason, could make the east more interesting

Sounds like Pujols is thinking over a new offer from Miami that most think is for 10 years at around $22M a season, they are trying to work out a NTC.

Thier payroll would be unreal if he does sign with them, with Hanley, Bell, Reyes.

I don't think he will end up in Miami. I think he will still resign with us. I could be wrong but I just don't see him going to the Marlins.

"Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

HOTTY TODDY! Go Rebels! Eli was screwed!

EMAIL: mtr@rajahwwf.com
    AIM: MTR08

Wow, Pujols is signing with the LAAAAA for 10 years at around $250-260m.

It's a done deal, full NTC.
    Last edited by two24four; 12-08-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Senior Member All-Star canuckthug's Avatar
    Oh no, hes in the AL.. What a massive contract. $25 million a year, Damn.
    I thought this story was gonna drag out (like Lebron) till spring training, glad its over!

Now there is word they might go after CJ Wilson pretty hard.

Edit: Sounds like this is a done deal now as well.

$75M for 5 years for Wilson.
    Last edited by two24four; 12-08-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Can anybody actually come in here and justify to me how anybody who plays baseball for a living, or any other sport for that matter, deserves to make that much money? Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Can anybody actually come in here and justify to me how anybody who plays baseball for a living, or any other sport for that matter, deserves to make that much money? Ridiculous.
    To watch sports and think of the money they make is damn near impossible these days. I try to leave it to the side personally, but good lord, $250m? Always makes me shake my head as well.

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Nope. Have to feel for doctors, firemen, police etc....when they see a player like this get waaaaay more then they make, not right.

I disagree actually. Take the emotion of some dude making that much money and look at it from a business perspective. These superstar guys make their respective employers a ton of money so they deserve a piece of that pie. Without Albert Pujols, for example, the Angels/Cards/MLB might not make as much money because he is that important to the game. Without the players, the leagues have nothing. It's like having a gold mine without any gold. Imagine if that gold mine was MLB and the country where the mine is located is the star player. Without giving a piece of the revenue from mining that gold, the mining company would not be able to produce as much gold as they could otherwise. (not the best example, but I think it will serve it's purpose)

And without the Military we wouldn't have baseball.

Just saying.

Edit: I just don't put money and sports together anymore. I'm not trying to debate (because I don't care enough) anything but that's a fuckton of money!
    Last edited by dw13; 12-08-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    I disagree actually. Take the emotion of some dude making that much money and look at it from a business perspective. These superstar guys make their respective employers a ton of money so they deserve a piece of that pie. Without Albert Pujols, for example, the Angels/Cards/MLB might not make as much money because he is that important to the game. Without the players, the leagues have nothing. It's like having a gold mine without any gold. Imagine if that gold mine was MLB and the country where the mine is located is the star player. Without giving a piece of the revenue from mining that gold, the mining company would not be able to produce as much gold as they could otherwise. (not the best example, but I think it will serve it's purpose)
    And it's about entertainment value. No one will ever say that a baseball player is more important than a doctor or a teacher but, conversely, no one is lining up to watch those people do their jobs.

Thread Information