Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 99
  1. #61
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,793
    (^)

    I still can't wrap my head around the new Big East teams...maybe Spartan's onto something!

  2. #62
    Washed Up All-Star Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,879
    Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    That's what I get for believing in the fat bastard Charlie Weis.

    Off to Kansas after one year.

    Fuck him.
    No big loss.

    Mark Mangino has already pre-worn grooves into the floors under the desk chair. Can probably dust off the old golf cart as well.




  3. #63
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    No big loss.

    Mark Mangino has already pre-worn grooves into the floors under the desk chair. Can probably dust off the old golf cart as well.
    I'm looking like a fool though, I've been one of the few around here that thought he would do well. Everyone here hated him already, I tried to support him.

    So much for that. Fat fucker.



  4. #64
    Senior Member All-Star
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,808
    Good for you Barkley

  5. #65
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
    Good for you Barkley
    Had a feeling he'd stay.

    Good kid. Not driven by money. Good family support behind him, and loves college. Wants to see USC out of the darkhole they were in.

    Props, kid.



  6. #66
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,772
    Cue Cayuga coming here saying it's the dumbest fucking thing that anyone has ever done.


  7. #67
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    Cue Cayuga coming here saying it's the dumbest fucking thing that anyone has ever done.


    ... or Kyle?



  8. #68
    Washed Up All-Star Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,879
    Usually going back to school is stupid, but this is not bad. No guarantees where he would land with the emergence of other QB's. Is a little insightful about his competitive fire though. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Spartan; 12-22-2011 at 08:40 PM.




  9. #69
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Usually going back to school is stupid, but this is not bad. No guarantees where he would land with the emergence of other QB's. Is a little insightful about his competitive fire though. Just sayin'.
    Eh, with the new wage scale the stupid-ness is dulled down a bit.



  10. #70
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,793
    5 mins left in the 4th qtr in the Texas Bowl (A&M/NWestern) if you see this in time...it's gotten interesting

  11. #71
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,793
    I'm the Rose Bowl on delay (I'm just about at halftime)...what an amazing game so far!

  12. #72
    Washed Up All-Star Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,879
    At least Luck will have Vinatieri in Indy.




  13. #73
    Washed Up All-Star Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,879
    Stanford and Oklahoma State would beat either of teams tonight.

    Easily

    Add Oregon to that list. These teams could never keep pace with their inept offenses. This whole system is a sham.
    Last edited by Spartan; 01-09-2012 at 10:55 PM.




  14. #74
    Nitbag Hall of Famer FlyGuy78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    39
    Posts
    13,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Stanford and Oklahoma State would beat either of teams tonight.

    Easily

    Add Oregon to that list. These teams could never keep pace with their inept offenses. This whole system is a sham.
    Agreed. It needs to go to a playoff style setup or we will continue to have this same conversation every year as we have in the past. I don't understand what is stopping them.

  15. #75
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy78 View Post
    Agreed. It needs to go to a playoff style setup or we will continue to have this same conversation every year as we have in the past. I don't understand what is stopping them.
    It's simple.




  16. #76
    Nitbag Hall of Famer FlyGuy78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    39
    Posts
    13,253
    They could make just as much money doing a playoff style system as with a bowl system, so I won't accept that answer from the BCS.

  17. #77
    Senior Member First Liner
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,853
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy78 View Post
    They could make just as much money doing a playoff style system as with a bowl system, so I won't accept that answer from the BCS.
    I think they could have better tv ratings then now because they would have more games that actually mean something. Right now in the BCS bowl games, IMO, they have one that matters and a bunch of other contests. In sports it is all about finishing #1.

  18. #78
    Washed Up All-Star Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,879
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan1 View Post
    I think they could have better tv ratings then now because they would have more games that actually mean something. Right now in the BCS bowl games, IMO, they have one that matters and a bunch of other contests. In sports it is all about finishing #1.
    The problem now is that the one doesn't matter. Alabama did not win their division, much less their conference. They are not the best team in the nation and were not number two going into this game.

    My ballot today would be:

    1) Oklahoma State
    2) Oregon
    3) Boise State
    4) LSU
    5) Alabama




  19. #79
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The problem now is that the one doesn't matter. Alabama did not win their division, much less their conference. They are not the best team in the nation and were not number two going into this game.

    My ballot today would be:

    1) Oklahoma State
    2) Oregon
    3) Boise State
    4) LSU
    5) Alabama
    Which is a major reason for the situation that we're currently in. When you add the human element and subjectivity to the mix, you get flawed results.

    I like Alabama but I don't think that they deserved to be in the title game. That said, you could make a strong argument that they were the 2nd best team going into this game. I would have loved seeing Oklahoma State in the game but they had to fuck it all up and lose to Iowa State.


  20. #80
    Senior Member First Liner
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,853
    An 8 team college football play-off would be ideal. It would get a lot of people interested, not just in the play-offs but throughout the season. Right now if you lose 1 game you are basically out in college football, if you lose 2 you are definitely out. A lot of programs would be talking about getting into that elite eight. Yes you still have the human element as far as voters go, but at the end of the day there will be a true national champion.

    And then just have bowl games for the rest.

  21. #81
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy78 View Post
    They could make just as much money doing a playoff style system as with a bowl system, so I won't accept that answer from the BCS.
    Until they figure out a playoff system that would make them the same amount of money, no you're wrong.

    It's not just about the money the teams IN the BCS games make. It's the conferences as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The problem now is that the one doesn't matter. Alabama did not win their division, much less their conference. They are not the best team in the nation and were not number two going into this game.

    My ballot today would be:

    1) Oklahoma State
    2) Oregon
    3) Boise State
    4) LSU
    5) Alabama
    Silly talk, Sparty and you know it.

    LSU took care of business against Oregon. Lets not forget that.

    Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State. They blew that chance themselves. And should of lost to the nerds from Stanford who apparently didn't crack your top 5.

    While I'm not against a playoff, it's absurd to discount Alabama and LSU as not being the best teams in the country.



  22. #82
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,772
    While I'm not against a playoff, it's absurd to discount Alabama and LSU as not being the best teams in the country.
    I agree. Unfortunately, there are reasons why the right teams played and lots why they didn't. Personally, I don't see a playoff system working. Definitely not 8 teams. The best that I can see happening is a "plus 1" game. Anything else and you make the bowls somewhat irrelevant and there is too much money tied up in it. A playoff would also extend the season and it already goes too long.


  23. #83
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,793
    It baffles me that someone in University (even an athlete!) can only score 4 on the Wonderlic test. (how can you even graduate from grade school)

    Wow

  24. #84
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    It baffles me that someone in University (even an athlete!) can only score 4 on the Wonderlic test. (how can you even graduate from grade school)

    Wow
    Go figure, you don't do any actual reading on the circumstances.

    Mo Claiborne has a learning disability and he tried his ass off at LSU all indications point to, and he was trying his damn hardest during the Wonderlic under pressure.

    Poor kid is being absolutely lambasted by ignorant people all around the country today, it's an absolute joke.



  25. #85
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,793
    Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    Go figure, you don't do any actual reading on the circumstances.

    Mo Claiborne has a learning disability and he tried his ass off at LSU all indications point to, and he was trying his damn hardest during the Wonderlic under pressure.

    Poor kid is being absolutely lambasted by ignorant people all around the country today, it's an absolute joke.
    No, I didn't read anything about this - as I said I saw them discussing it on PTI. I then did the ESPN sample Wonderlic and got all but one (as I ran out of time).

    Sucks that he has a learning disability, but my point was more how someone who could score so low was able to get into University. (perhaps he is smarter than his score would suggest, but you have to wonder how he was able to get his SAT scores where they needed to be if he cannot do the simpler Wonderlic test)

  26. #86
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    No, I didn't read anything about this - as I said I saw them discussing it on PTI. I then did the ESPN sample Wonderlic and got all but one (as I ran out of time).

    Sucks that he has a learning disability, but my point was more how someone who could score so low was able to get into University. (perhaps he is smarter than his score would suggest, but you have to wonder how he was able to get his SAT scores where they needed to be if he cannot do the simpler Wonderlic test)
    So you're suggesting people with learning disabilities shouldn't be allowed into college? Stop wondering how he got into University and start wondering how he's survived in the world where people laugh at people with mental issues. (not just talking to you - this kid has been made fun of all around the country)

    All indications are that he worked his ass off at LSU w/ what they have to offer to people with disabilities such as his. And all indications are he worked his hardest on the Wonderlic and just didn't do well.

    LSU is a State College which probably doesn't even look much at SAT/ACT scores. Claiborne could of had a good GPA because he worked his ass off in the classes he had to take, padded by his outstanding athletic ability and was obviously eligible for LSU.

    Stop for a second and actually think about stuff, please.
    Last edited by dw13; 04-04-2012 at 02:56 PM.



  27. #87
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,793
    Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    So you're suggesting people with learning disabilities shouldn't be allowed into college? Stop wondering how he got into University and start wondering how he's survived in the world where people laugh at people with mental issues. (not just talking to you - this kid has been made fun of all around the country)

    All indications are that he worked his ass off at LSU w/ what they have to offer to people with disabilities such as his. And all indications are he worked his hardest on the Wonderlic and just didn't do well.

    LSU is a State College which probably doesn't even look much at SAT/ACT scores. Claiborne could of had a good GPA because he worked his ass off in the classes he had to take, padded by his outstanding athletic ability and was obviously eligible for LSU.

    Stop for a second and actually think about stuff, please.
    I have thought about it and you very well be right, you very well may be wrong. Let's play the probability game. Is it more probable that he is a really smart guy that has a learning disability that makes it hard for him to do those types of tests or is it more probable that he is an uber-athletic kid that was able to get where he is because he was so talented? I mean it's not like LSU is the Harvard of the South by any means.

    I see your point but I'm guessing you are wrong. Check out the sample test and see what you think....I find it hard to believe that someone in University cannot get more than 4 answers right in the allotted time...learning disability or otherwise.

    http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

  28. #88
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    I'm wrong? The NCAA has eligibility rules in place for a reason (they're actually incredibly low standards, most everyone qualifies if you attend high school classes and do a little bit of work).

    What does "He is really a smart guy with a learning disability" even mean? He's a normal young man who has dealt with a learning disability his whole life. It isn't fake, it's documented and authenticated.

    People with learning disabilities aren't blocked from going to college - they aren't blocked from playing in the NFL. Claiborne worked his tail off in High School to make sure he did enough GPA wise to qualify for Louisiana State University, he also worked his tail off (obviously) to be able to be one of the best prospects in the upcoming NFL draft.

    Because he got a 4 on the Wonderlic test doesn't change any of that. You think it translates to him getting into college, it doesn't. He obviously had the qualifications to go to school and play football at LSU.

    So to answer how he went to LSU? He qualified.

    To answer how he got a 4 on the Wonderlic? He has a disability and did very poorly on the all important Wonderlic test, which the scores are supposed to be kept private anyways.

    What's the issue again?
    Last edited by dw13; 04-04-2012 at 03:15 PM.



  29. #89
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,793
    Well, I disagree.

  30. #90
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/M...c-score-040312

    Doubt it'll have any effect on you because clearly you have absolutely no time for people with disabilities. But go on and have a read.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •