Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 99
  1. #31
    Washed Up All-Star Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,879
    Leaving after lunch Friday. Long and corny drive ahead.




  2. #32
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Leaving after lunch Friday. Long and corny drive ahead.
    Same time that I'll be heading to Jacksonville for the biggest cocktail party around.

    Have a good time, Sparty!



  3. #33
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,778
    Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    I think 'meh' sums the city up perfectly
    Maybe meh...but then with a long fart sound.

  4. #34
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,778
    Man, I am getting hammered in picking NCAA games this season. Normally aI am really good against the spread, but this year I'm a tad below .500! Is it a weird season for you guys as well or am I just coming back to earth after a 3-4 years tear?

  5. #35
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Sounds like there are mixed reports with Urban Meyer taking the Ohio State job. Gotta say, I'll be surprised.



  6. #36
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,544
    Funny stuff with Lee Corso droping an F-bomb on college game day today.


  7. #37
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,778
    Wow, CRAZY upsets galore yesterday!

  8. #38
    Washed Up All-Star Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,879
    Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    Sounds like there are mixed reports with Urban Meyer taking the Ohio State job. Gotta say, I'll be surprised.
    Yeah but his philosophy of having players arrested and the culture in Columbus are a close match.




  9. #39
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Yeah but his philosophy of having players arrested and the culture in Columbus are a close match.


    Sounds like it's going to happen. Maybe be announced at the OSU/Duke basketball game later this month.



  10. #40
    Washed Up All-Star Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,879
    Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post


    Sounds like it's going to happen. Maybe be announced at the OSU/Duke basketball game later this month.
    Whatever, he really hurt his image the way he left Florida. This just kind of cements his douche status.




  11. #41
    Washed Up All-Star Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,879
    Dick Rod is the new coach at Arizona. He will do well there...I'm serious.




  12. #42
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Whatever, he really hurt his image the way he left Florida. This just kind of cements his douche status.
    You have no idea.

    For me, the disinterest he showed on the sidelines and towards the team his last season here was disgusting. I'll never forgive him, love him for the 2 titles but that's it.



  13. #43
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    I have a decent source with close connection to Urban telling me it's a done deal. They aren't sure when they will announce. Want to at the Duke game but that's been leaked so they might not.



  14. #44
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,778
    Wow, great Vanier Cup! A shootout in OT so far as well. Go Mac!

  15. #45
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,544
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Wow, great Vanier Cup! A shootout in OT so far as well. Go Mac!
    I don't watch much CIS football, but wow, what a game.

  16. #46
    Bushido All-Star alias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Age
    35
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Wow, great Vanier Cup! A shootout in OT so far as well. Go Mac!
    This was the best football game I have ever seen. Quinlan was amazing! Bring it home boys!
    “They don’t hang Conference Championship banners from the rafters here” - Carey Price



    10 team contract keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG HITS
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO


    C - Galchenyuk, Krejci, McDavid, Bjugstad, Lindberg
    LW - Parise, Hall, Landeskog, E Kane
    RW -
    Giroux, MacKinnon, Okposo, Semin, Nyquist
    D - Leddy, Maatta, Stralman, Myers, Jones, Hamonic
    G - Rinne, Quick, Dubnyk
    IR - Bogosian

    Farm:
    F - Girgensens, Matteau, Boucher, Mantha, C Brown, delaRose, Scherbak, Hayes, Barkov
    D - Beaulieu, Provorov, C. Miller
    G - Hellberg, M.McDonald, Samsonov

  17. #47
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,778
    GREAT game! (and GREAT seeing Laval lose)

  18. #48
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,778
    Big win! Go Blue!!

  19. #49
    Washed Up All-Star Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,879
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Big win! Go Blue!!
    Very good season by Hoke. That team has come a long way.




  20. #50
    Senior Member First Liner
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,853
    As we wait to see who is #2 how long until college football implements a play-off system, even if it is just a +1.

    It just doesn't make sense to let the polls decide it.

  21. #51
    Washed Up All-Star Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,879
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan1 View Post
    As we wait to see who is #2 how long until college football implements a play-off system, even if it is just a +1.

    It just doesn't make sense to let the polls decide it.
    Not gonna happen. I would like to see the media start to demolish this thing though. Herbstreit had a nice rant going last night about VaTech and Michigan making the BCS. In the BCS pregame show I would like to see a segment on how the chairmen of the ACC and Big 10 each will get over ten million dollars for their conferences by allowing this sham to continue. And before they start their SEC lovefest I would like to see some good journalism on the processes of oversigning and grayshirting. Its not just speed that makes the SEC so good. Its getting hard to put much more emotion into college football when the results mean fuck all in the end.




  22. #52
    Senior Member First Liner
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,853
    Saw one of the voters' (from the Harris poll) rankings, he had Houston 5th and Oklahoma State 6th, that's crazy, voters like that should be thrown out.

  23. #53
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Not gonna happen. I would like to see the media start to demolish this thing though. Herbstreit had a nice rant going last night about VaTech and Michigan making the BCS. In the BCS pregame show I would like to see a segment on how the chairmen of the ACC and Big 10 each will get over ten million dollars for their conferences by allowing this sham to continue. And before they start their SEC lovefest I would like to see some good journalism on the processes of oversigning and grayshirting. Its not just speed that makes the SEC so good. Its getting hard to put much more emotion into college football when the results mean fuck all in the end.
    Oversignings happen everywhere, no?

    I know as a Big 10 guy, you're never going to buy into the least of the SEC love. But it's the best conference in America, I find it very hard for anyone to even debate it.



  24. #54
    Washed Up All-Star Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,879
    Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    Oversignings happen everywhere, no?

    I know as a Big 10 guy, you're never going to buy into the least of the SEC love. But it's the best conference in America, I find it very hard for anyone to even debate it.
    Well you are on an island at Florida because they are the one school that refuses to do it in the SEC. The Big 12 also is a big abuser. The PAC12 and B10 generally avoid it except for Tressel(big surprise) .Your conference is like ours if we had six Ohio States. I have no problem with Alabama being in the game, its just the system we have. The top of the SEC is the best in the game, no argument here. The conference as a whole, no so sure and it really doesn't matter. I guess my rant is more based on the machine that is college football, notice that I called out my own conference as well. There are too many bad things happening in college football and I'm starting to care less and less. And its not coming from the players, its the people in charge and that's what is so disappointing. We are watching this sport go the way of college basketball where scumbag programs and coaches are shielded to protect brand names and TV ratings. My god look at the schools the Big East added today, how did that help any student athlete? Conference officials and the networks are ruining all traditions of this sport. I would just like to see a little less hype from the media and some good journalism to show the casual fans "how the sausage is made" in the business of college sports.




  25. #55
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well you are on an island at Florida because they are the one school that refuses to do it in the SEC. The Big 12 also is a big abuser. The PAC12 and B10 generally avoid it except for Tressel(big surprise) .Your conference is like ours if we had six Ohio States. I have no problem with Alabama being in the game, its just the system we have. The top of the SEC is the best in the game, no argument here. The conference as a whole, no so sure and it really doesn't matter. I guess my rant is more based on the machine that is college football, notice that I called out my own conference as well. There are too many bad things happening in college football and I'm starting to care less and less. And its not coming from the players, its the people in charge and that's what is so disappointing. We are watching this sport go the way of college basketball where scumbag programs and coaches are shielded to protect brand names and TV ratings. My god look at the schools the Big East added today, how did that help any student athlete? Conference officials and the networks are ruining all traditions of this sport. I would just like to see a little less hype from the media and some good journalism to show the casual fans "how the sausage is made" in the business of college sports.
    You know I respect your opinions on stuff like this, and I certainly do here. I'm just not sure what else could be done, as I'm not a massive fan of the playoff system.

    I know Florida has oversigned on a few occasions, and I knew that Ohio State did it very often (so I figured maybe the B10 had other teams that did it as well).

    College Football is a machine and needs changing. I normally stay out of the talks about it because, honestly, I have no idea how/what/where needs to be exactly changed.



  26. #56
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,778
    [QUOTE=dw13;859795]You know I respect your opinions on stuff like this, and I certainly do here. I'm just not sure what else could be done, as I'm not a massive fan of the playoff system.

    I know Florida has oversigned on a few occasions, and I knew that Ohio State did it very often (so I figured maybe the B10 had other teams that did it as well).

    College Football is a machine and needs changing. I normally stay out of the talks about it because, honestly, I have no idea how/what/where needs to be exactly changed.[/QUOTE]

    Not to play broken record, but how about dumping the BCS system for something new? (although the fear would be that the powerhouse conferences would not support this and go on their own for the TV deals, etc)

  27. #57
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    But if it's dumping the BCS for these 4/8/16 team playoffs people talk about. I'm not in favor of it.

    I'd be in favor of something like a 'what-if play-in game' but not the full play-in game system, or a playoff.

    That's all I'm saying.



  28. #58
    Washed Up All-Star Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,879
    Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore will graduate with a 49-3 career record and he played in just one BCS game. This year Michigan and Virginia Tech (who got lit up in the ACC game) jumped five higher ranked teams including Boise St. due to their brand names and conference money. Obviously the BCS has to go but they need to determine the champs on the field. I don't have all the answers either but that is for another discussion. But what about finding some balls to enforce the rules. Major programs like Ohio State get to duck rule violations and evidently the NCAA thinks they are too big to fail. Half the SEC grayshirt, grossly oversign, hire relatives and high school coaches, or flat out pay bribes (see Newton, Cameron) and it is chalked up to "the rabid culture" of football in the south. I hate all of it and just want to see a little truth to go along with the hype.




  29. #59
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Well I think you're a little harsh on the SEC in this regard. The Hiring of Relatives/Coaches happens all over the country, I still feel like more schools oversign than don't, and the bribes? Take a look at the other major schools in the country, USC and Ohio State just to start. That happens everywhere.

    I know B10 country is sick of hearing about the SEC. And I'm not here to declare the SEC pages and pages above everyone else but I do think, football wise, it's the best.

    Other than that, I agree with your post.



  30. #60
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    That's what I get for believing in the fat bastard Charlie Weis.

    Off to Kansas after one year.

    Fuck him.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •