Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 51

Thread: Manny retires?

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,808

    Manny retires?

    Major League Baseball announced the move in a statement on Friday.
    "Major League Baseball recently notified Manny Ramirez of an issue under Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program," the statement said. "Rather than continue with the process under the Program, Ramirez has informed MLB that he is retiring as an active player. If Ramirez seeks reinstatement in the future, the process under the Drug Program will be completed. MLB will not have any further comment on this matter."
    Guy was always one of my favorite hitters to watch back in the day.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member First Liner rico3994's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,100
    Wow, Brutal way to have the info put out there.

    $$$ Football League

  3. #3
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,786
    Really glad I dropped Gordon instead of him on Monday!

  4. #4
    Sig Maker All-Star looch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,884
    Sucks one of my favorites.










  5. #5
    Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    26
    Posts
    10,127
    Manny being Manny. Good career but that's a really bad way to be remembered going out.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star moans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oakville
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,814
    Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Manny being Manny. Good career but that's a really bad way to be remembered going out.
    I believe Manny being Barry works a little better here. What an idiot though. The guy's already been booked for drugs once, he has to know he's going to be caught if he uses again.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by moans View Post
    I believe Manny being Barry works a little better here. What an idiot though. The guy's already been booked for drugs once, he has to know he's going to be caught if he uses again.
    Don't know if you saw his stint in Chicago last year with the White Sox, but if you did, than you know, his career was already over. With the absurd amount of money being thrown around to literally everyone in sports these days, he is deffinitely not an "idiot" for getting back on something to try and make a comeback for one final paycheck.

    Everyone gets so up in arms about steroids in all these sports, maybe congress, the fans, and the sports themselves should realize, that when you incentivize the sports to the level we have in this current landscape, taking steroids to try and push yourself over the top isn't insane, or devious, or evil. It's actually an incredibly, incredibly rational train of thought. Steroids = $100,000,000. Someone here offer me a hundred million dollars to do lots of steroids and see what I do...

  8. #8
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    He's not an idiot for denying using a woman's fertility drug as a mask for his steroids? He's not an idiot for saying "I'm at ease, this is what God wants" when he was busted for the SECOND time? He's not an idiot for being a blatant liar instead of fessing up to cheating the game and the people who paid him his money?

    Hey, if you want to live your life like that, lying and coning your way to millions. Go for it bud.

    He's an idiot. You'd be an idiot too, if you did it.
    Last edited by dw13; 04-18-2011 at 01:33 AM.



  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    He's not an idiot for denying using a woman's fertility drug as a mask for his steroids? He's not an idiot for saying "I'm at ease, this is what God wants" when he was busted for the SECOND time? He's not an idiot for being a blatant liar instead of fessing up to cheating the game and the people who paid him his money?

    Hey, if you want to live your life like that, lying and coning your way to millions. Go for it bud.

    He's an idiot. You'd be an idiot too, if you did it.
    How did he cheat the people that paid him his money? He was the best right handed hitter in the game outside of Albert Pujols for a decade. Considering a franchise paid him to be a great hitter, he more than lived up to his end.

    Look, I don't know what kind of moral rediculousness you have, but I'm telling you right now, and I truly believe this, and always have, and always will...

    If I were Bill Gates, and I walked up to you and said, "Take steroids for the next 5 years and play a sport, and I will give you $100,000,000"(or MORE than that in his case), and you said no...not only are you a fucking idiot, YOU'RE the irresponsible one.

    Everyone acts like this is some grave injustice, this is a complete victimless crime except yourself. You're choosing to eventually be the victim, by putting yourself at risk of health complications associated with steroids. The money that's thrown around these sports these days isn't just life changing money. 1 million dollars is life changing. 100 million dollars changes the lives of your family for GENERATIONS if used properly.

    The team you played for isn't victimized, you were great. Fans aren't victimized, they get to see a show. Even knowing what we know now, is anyone actually going to tell me that the Sosa/McGwire HR chases weren't the most exciting things in baseball the last 15 years? Same with Bonds, I remember tuning in to Giants games nightly as he started to approach 70...

    They cheated. That's awful. But don't sit there and act like you, or I, wouldn't do the same thing given the opportunity, because there's no way you wouldn't. This is an absolutely asenine amount of money at the end of the rainbow, and for what? To cheat at a game?

    Manny Ramirez is a cheater. He's a goofball. But making a decision to use steroids isn't "stupid", or "insane". It's a very rational decision to make.

    Even if you're a liar and you disagree with the fact that you'd turn down the chance for that money if you were in a similar situation(and yes I'm calling you a liar if you say that because you are, I don't think there's anything you could ask me to do, outside of killing a person, for that much money that I'd say no to. That's realist. I wouldn't kill because that's having a very real, permanant, lasting, damaging affect on another life or lives for my own benefit. Steroids is not comperable in any way.), to dismiss making that decision as "stupid", is infact, "stupid".

  10. #10
    not really All-Star ih8music's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    /usa/ca/oc
    Posts
    5,376
    I don't really see the moral difference between using illegal supplements like steroids/HGH and legal ones like creatine, etc. -- one class is simply more effective (and in some cases, damaging) than the other, but none of it is natural or "fair" to those who do not use.

  11. #11
    Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,930
    I can swallow that overall argument to justify his usage when the roid testing was lax that helped make himself the 200+ million over the last 10 years.

    But really now, at the end of his career when he was lucky enough to find a desperate team that was willing to pay him 2 million on a 1 year deal or a measly 1% of what he made over the last 10 years and he keeps using knowing full well that if he's caught as a 2 time loser, then he'll just up and quit? And all you hear are the masses saying how "sad" it was that his career ended this way. Theres nothing sad about him getting caught again. That kind of arrogance is not sad, it is disgraceful, especially when everyone knows the testing nowadays is much more strict.

    What was the point in him even coming back this year? the money? please. The love of the game? ha. He had to be dragged to All Star games he made. Had he not ever been caught and later on inducted into the HOF there would have been a pretty good chance he wouldn't have even shown up at his own induction anyways...Manny being Manny


  12. #12
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    I didn't say I would turn down that offer, but I would surely expect to be called an idiot. Manny is an idiot. Bonds is an idiot. Sosa is an idiot. Not just because it makes you a cheat, because of the health effects as well.

    and ih8music, you already stated the difference one is legal and one isn't. It's that simple. Creatine and other supplements like jack3d aren't comparable to steroids.

    I've never enjoyed baseball more than I have to this day. The amount of awesome pitchers, the amount of pitcher duals in games is really awesome. That includes Barry's chase, Sosa/Mark's dual. I enjoy baseball how it is NOW.

    You'll never convince me differently about people who use steroids. It's illegal for a reason.
    Last edited by dw13; 04-18-2011 at 08:42 AM.



  13. #13
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,758
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    How did he cheat the people that paid him his money? He was the best right handed hitter in the game outside of Albert Pujols for a decade. Considering a franchise paid him to be a great hitter, he more than lived up to his end.

    Look, I don't know what kind of moral rediculousness you have, but I'm telling you right now, and I truly believe this, and always have, and always will...

    If I were Bill Gates, and I walked up to you and said, "Take steroids for the next 5 years and play a sport, and I will give you $100,000,000"(or MORE than that in his case), and you said no...not only are you a fucking idiot, YOU'RE the irresponsible one.

    Everyone acts like this is some grave injustice, this is a complete victimless crime except yourself. You're choosing to eventually be the victim, by putting yourself at risk of health complications associated with steroids. The money that's thrown around these sports these days isn't just life changing money. 1 million dollars is life changing. 100 million dollars changes the lives of your family for GENERATIONS if used properly.

    The team you played for isn't victimized, you were great. Fans aren't victimized, they get to see a show. Even knowing what we know now, is anyone actually going to tell me that the Sosa/McGwire HR chases weren't the most exciting things in baseball the last 15 years? Same with Bonds, I remember tuning in to Giants games nightly as he started to approach 70...

    They cheated. That's awful. But don't sit there and act like you, or I, wouldn't do the same thing given the opportunity, because there's no way you wouldn't. This is an absolutely asenine amount of money at the end of the rainbow, and for what? To cheat at a game?

    Manny Ramirez is a cheater. He's a goofball. But making a decision to use steroids isn't "stupid", or "insane". It's a very rational decision to make.

    Even if you're a liar and you disagree with the fact that you'd turn down the chance for that money if you were in a similar situation(and yes I'm calling you a liar if you say that because you are, I don't think there's anything you could ask me to do, outside of killing a person, for that much money that I'd say no to. That's realist. I wouldn't kill because that's having a very real, permanant, lasting, damaging affect on another life or lives for my own benefit. Steroids is not comperable in any way.), to dismiss making that decision as "stupid", is infact, "stupid".
    Your comparisons are slightly flawed, IMHO. I assume that he was already a millionaire so comparing his situation with yours or mine isn't quite right. If either of us was approached by Bill Gates and accepted the money, that is our choice but we are also going to have to take the fall when we get caught. Understandable doesn't mean acceptable.

    The biggest reason why your logic is flawed is simple mathematics. Unless I am missing something, he signed with the Red Sox in December of 2000, with the contract taking effect during the 2001 season and beyond. By all counts, he got busted for using PED's while playing for the Dodgers and then the Rays. He was also apparently on the positive list for the 2003 anonymous survey that MLB conducted. By my count, any documented drug use by Manny was after he already got his $160M payday. He already got his money. His subsequent use was about greed and stupidity.

    My stance on steroid use has changed slightly over the years but I can tell you why I give a shit. Right or wrong, baseball is about the numbers. Always has been. No one gives a shit about the numbers of other sports. People remember 714, 755, 56, etc. No one knows how many rushing yards Emmitt Smith has or how many points Kareem has. Steroid use matters in those sports but, in baseball, it taints the numbers. What I think it's going to take to lessen the outrage about this is for someone to get elected into the HOF only to find out after the fact that they used PED's.


  14. #14
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    Understandable doesn't mean acceptable.
    That's pretty much my stance summed up.



  15. #15
    not really All-Star ih8music's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    /usa/ca/oc
    Posts
    5,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    My stance on steroid use has changed slightly over the years but I can tell you why I give a shit. Right or wrong, baseball is about the numbers. Always has been. No one gives a shit about the numbers of other sports. People remember 714, 755, 56, etc. No one knows how many rushing yards Emmitt Smith has or how many points Kareem has. Steroid use matters in those sports but, in baseball, it taints the numbers. What I think it's going to take to lessen the outrage about this is for someone to get elected into the HOF only to find out after the fact that they used PED's.
    I don't disagree with that at all, but my point is that there are plenty of "legal" things that players use/do today which also skew the numbers to their advantage. The average pro athlete today is much bigger, faster & stronger than ever before. Does that make it easier to hit a curve ball? Probably not, but when he makes contact a lot more is going to happen.

    I just think the distinction between guys who use steroids and guys who use advanced training and "sports medicine" is a blurry one at best.

  16. #16
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,786
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post


    Manny Ramirez is a cheater. He's a goofball. But making a decision to use steroids isn't "stupid", or "insane". It's a very rational decision to make.

    Even if you're a liar and you disagree with the fact that you'd turn down the chance for that money if you were in a similar situation(and yes I'm calling you a liar if you say that because you are, I don't think there's anything you could ask me to do, outside of killing a person, for that much money that I'd say no to. That's realist. I wouldn't kill because that's having a very real, permanant, lasting, damaging affect on another life or lives for my own benefit. Steroids is not comperable in any way.), to dismiss making that decision as "stupid", is infact, "stupid".
    I might have agreed with you when he was being paid $20mm/yr, but why would he risk tarnishing his image further for a $2mm swan song in TBay? ($2mm is a drop in the bucket given his career earnings...and if he needed the money, than he's stupid for having squandered so much of past earnings)

    That is stupid any way you look at it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snipes16 View Post
    I can swallow that overall argument to justify his usage when the roid testing was lax that helped make himself the 200+ million over the last 10 years.

    But really now, at the end of his career when he was lucky enough to find a desperate team that was willing to pay him 2 million on a 1 year deal or a measly 1% of what he made over the last 10 years and he keeps using knowing full well that if he's caught as a 2 time loser, then he'll just up and quit? And all you hear are the masses saying how "sad" it was that his career ended this way. Theres nothing sad about him getting caught again. That kind of arrogance is not sad, it is disgraceful, especially when everyone knows the testing nowadays is much more strict.

    What was the point in him even coming back this year? the money? please. The love of the game? ha. He had to be dragged to All Star games he made. Had he not ever been caught and later on inducted into the HOF there would have been a pretty good chance he wouldn't have even shown up at his own induction anyways...Manny being Manny
    This

  17. #17
    Senior Member Third Liner Lemelin is Pulgasari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by soty View Post
    Sucks one of my favorites.
    Same. Certain people always loved to criticize Manny and the way he played and 'approached' the game, but I loved it. He was funny as hell. Aloof and childlike. The Manny/Pedro era was epic.
    All the Swedish people were booing me.

    Team 1

    Team 2


  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    To clarify, I'm not saying Manny's a great guy for doing it, and I'm not saying he's not a cheater. I'm just saying it's understandable.

    Doc, I guess we do fundamentally disagree on one point about Manny, and that's the dates that he was "caught" using steroids meaning that's the only time he was on them. If he was caught during that initial test in 2003, I'd bet my life he was on them for years beforehand as well, and hence his $200 million comes, at least partially, from steroids.

    The other thing is there's no denying these guys had talent, steroids doesn't make you a world beating hitter. Ask Greg Zaun. But if you're already remarkable, and steroids gets you over the top to absolute super stardom and the stupid money that comes with it, I completely understand the logic in taking the steroids. Yes you put your own health at risk, but people have put themselves at way more risk, for way less money, and continue to every day.

    Lastly, I don't understand the "tarnish his reputation more" line everyone keeps throwing around about this most recent time. His reputation was already the same as Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Rodriguez and others. Cheater. Multi-time cheater doesn't change anything. Cheater is cheater. How many times he got caught has little to no impact on it, and if he felt like he "needed" the steroids to land on a team and make one final run at getting a contract, again, that's arguably even more rational that the initial drug use. He had NOTHING to lose this time, his reputation was already shit on, so getting caught again wasn't going to do much of anything.

    This argument is the reason I liked the book "Game of Shadows", because it didn't just come out and blast Barry Bonds for doing steroids. It explained what he did, but also got into the psychology of understanding why he would do it, and didn't just paint him as some lifetime supervillain. The chapters, or anecdotes about him being one of the best players of the era, but no one having a clue who he was, and watching McGwire and Sosa grab all the headlines while they were juicing, and that jealousy being the root cause of his decision to use steroids was a fascinating look at it.

    I think all too often people just take drug tests and just blanket all these things on it like "idiot", without realizing that although they chose to cheat, most had a reason for doing it that can't really be viewed as "stupid", so much as a product of a generation that essentially glorified the users.
    Last edited by CayugaPosse; 04-20-2011 at 03:30 AM.

  19. #19
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,758
    Lastly, I don't understand the "tarnish his reputation more" line everyone keeps throwing around about this most recent time. His reputation was already the same as Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Rodriguez and others. Cheater. Multi-time cheater doesn't change anything. Cheater is cheater. How many times he got caught has little to no impact on it, and if he felt like he "needed" the steroids to land on a team and make one final run at getting a contract, again, that's arguably even more rational that the initial drug use. He had NOTHING to lose this time, his reputation was already shit on, so getting caught again wasn't going to do much of anything.
    I can't agree with that. Let's take 2 guys that got caught for using PED's: Manny and A-Rod. Both clearly have 1st ballot HOF numbers. Forget about the unknown. For all we know, they both used PED's for over a decade. Let's look at the "evidence". Manny tested positive 2 times. 3 if you include the 2003 survey testing. A-Rod got caught once. Manny made up excuses with the Dodgers, got caught again, and ran away from the game. A-Rod got caught once and admitted that he took PED's. While I believe that his apology was pretty weak, he at least had the balls to admit guilt. Most people, at least those without a completely biased opinion, will think better of A-Rod than Manny. Sure, they are both cheaters but Manny has been proven a cheat, a liar, and a fraud. A-Rod really has only been proven a cheat. Assuming that he has no more positive tests, I don't see how they will be thought of as the same by most.


  20. #20
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    I can't agree with that. Let's take 2 guys that got caught for using PED's: Manny and A-Rod. Both clearly have 1st ballot HOF numbers. Forget about the unknown. For all we know, they both used PED's for over a decade. Let's look at the "evidence". Manny tested positive 2 times. 3 if you include the 2003 survey testing. A-Rod got caught once. Manny made up excuses with the Dodgers, got caught again, and ran away from the game. A-Rod got caught once and admitted that he took PED's. While I believe that his apology was pretty weak, he at least had the balls to admit guilt. Most people, at least those without a completely biased opinion, will think better of A-Rod than Manny. Sure, they are both cheaters but Manny has been proven a cheat, a liar, and a fraud. A-Rod really has only been proven a cheat. Assuming that he has no more positive tests, I don't see how they will be thought of as the same by most.
    Agree completely. A-Rod was caught even before he apologized but he got out there, apologized (even if it was a shit apology) and people have started to forgive him and move on. A-Rod has started well this season, and hasn't been as horrible like Manny since he tested.

    When Manny tested positive, it was the end of Manny completely. It was clear he was doing something for most of his career, even though it was in his late stages he was busted it was still apparent to me (someone who watches the Dodgers nightly) that he was done without his supplement.

    The simple fact that Manny has made up excuses and ran away from the game makes him the real idiot we all think he is.



  21. #21
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,758
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    Agree completely. A-Rod was caught even before he apologized but he got out there, apologized (even if it was a shit apology) and people have started to forgive him and move on. A-Rod has started well this season, and hasn't been as horrible like Manny since he tested.

    When Manny tested positive, it was the end of Manny completely. It was clear he was doing something for most of his career, even though it was in his late stages he was busted it was still apparent to me (someone who watches the Dodgers nightly) that he was done without his supplement.

    The simple fact that Manny has made up excuses and ran away from the game makes him the real idiot we all think he is.
    Good point. Whether true or not, the perception of Manny has been that, ever since he got caught, he has sucked. A-Rod has continued to produce after tougher testing policies and no more positive tests.


  22. #22
    Senior Member All-Star
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,808
    To be fair though, Manny's big drop off in production came when he was, what, 38 years old. It seems that A-Rod keeps himself in pretty good shape compared to Manny, but let's see where he's at in three more years

  23. #23
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    I know Manny was a bit older, but for me, it was definitely clear his power was sapped when he was busted.



  24. #24
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    I can't agree with that. Let's take 2 guys that got caught for using PED's: Manny and A-Rod. Both clearly have 1st ballot HOF numbers. Forget about the unknown. For all we know, they both used PED's for over a decade. Let's look at the "evidence". Manny tested positive 2 times. 3 if you include the 2003 survey testing. A-Rod got caught once. Manny made up excuses with the Dodgers, got caught again, and ran away from the game. A-Rod got caught once and admitted that he took PED's. While I believe that his apology was pretty weak, he at least had the balls to admit guilt. Most people, at least those without a completely biased opinion, will think better of A-Rod than Manny. Sure, they are both cheaters but Manny has been proven a cheat, a liar, and a fraud. A-Rod really has only been proven a cheat. Assuming that he has no more positive tests, I don't see how they will be thought of as the same by most.
    It's not going to matter much for either. Mark McGwire, if I'm not mistaken, has never actually been caught nor has any proof against him that he did steroids, and yet the HOF won't be calling his name anytime soon.

    None of these guys are getting in...don't think caught once or caught three times is changing that.

  25. #25
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    It's not going to matter much for either. Mark McGwire, if I'm not mistaken, has never actually been caught nor has any proof against him that he did steroids, and yet the HOF won't be calling his name anytime soon.

    None of these guys are getting in...don't think caught once or caught three times is changing that.
    McGwuire had to confront it to become part of the StL staff, or something like that.

    I'm pretty sure A-Rod will get in, but it'll be awhile til we find out!



  26. #26
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,786
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    It's not going to matter much for either. Mark McGwire, if I'm not mistaken, has never actually been caught nor has any proof against him that he did steroids, and yet the HOF won't be calling his name anytime soon.

    None of these guys are getting in...don't think caught once or caught three times is changing that.
    ARod will get in and I also think Bonds will get in eventually - as you eluded to in an earlier post, he didn't start til the late 90's to keep up with McGwire/Sosa and had a HOF'esque first 10 or so yrs to his career. It will be interesting to see how much his being a giant asshole plays into things though.

  27. #27
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Bonds isn't sniffing the Hall of Fame, Bill. He was a dick to the media even before this whole deal and now with everything going down, he's certainly not going to be getting in.



  28. #28
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,786
    He put up HOF numbers in the first decade of career when I think we can all agree he wasn't juicing....dude was amazing in PIT, but he was more the complete player than the power bat...and the fans wanted power bats. I'd have to think that would get recognized...or I'd hope because his being a dick aside, he had a HOF career (before and after the juice)

  29. #29
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,581
    I have heard media members who have a vote say on the radio etc.... that they will not be voting for Bonds to get in, most of the media just don't like him.

  30. #30
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,758
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    He put up HOF numbers in the first decade of career when I think we can all agree he wasn't juicing....dude was amazing in PIT, but he was more the complete player than the power bat...and the fans wanted power bats. I'd have to think that would get recognized...or I'd hope because his being a dick aside, he had a HOF career (before and after the juice)
    I have said before that I think it's going to take someone getting in, only to find out after the fact that he juiced. That will open the door for more juicers to get in, IMHO. Once that happens, Bonds will get in because he was the best of the cheaters or at least 2nd best behind A-Rod when both are done playing.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •