Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Senior Member All-Star
    Well he could at least shut the hell up about how "disappointing" and "out of the loop" he was about this crap. He knew full well what was going on. Anyway, I'm always biased about Brees

I agree. Theres a lot of odd storylines like that to look forward to this next season. Truthfully its going to be weird just seeing the Saints as a cohesive team. It feels like they've fallen apart entirely.

Also, what the hell can Goodell say to justify wanting an 18 game season when the rest of his agenda is dedicated to player safety and punishment of those who violate player safety rules? An 18 game season would be a disaster for safety. He can't be such a hypocrite.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post
    Even at the high school level I have a hard time believing coaches would be that utterly primal as to encourage potentially permanent injury to opposing players on a frequent enough basis to call it "common". Football's the biggest high school sport in my hometown and is bigger than OHL hockey. I don't pretend it's as big as it is in some places in the South, but I'm just saying it's fairly high-importance. I've known the HS football coaches in my hometown to do some pretty damn stupid and idiotic things, but I've never seen or heard one encourage real injury before. And the football jocks in my hometown that would have the asshole coaches like that are terrible at keeping secrets.
    I agree 100%. I simply can't tell Daw he didn't hear what he says he heard. But I agree with you completely that this is extremely rare even at the highschool level.

Senior Member All-Star
    Tebow is the 95th best player in the NFL? Is everyone just fucking stupid? He was among the 10 worst players in the league when he was a starter, and I'm being extremely generous by acknowledging 9 players might've been worse than him. He was miserable, I hate how wins are treated like such a QB stat.

League finally comes down on players involved with the bounty case

Vilma is suspended without pay for the 2012 NFL season, effective immediately per league policy for season-long suspensions.

Linebacker Scott Fujita (now with the Cleveland Browns) is suspended without pay for the first three games.

Defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove (now with the Green Bay Packers) is suspended without pay for the first eight games.

Will Smith of the Saints is suspended without pay for the first four games.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...in-bounty-case

Senior Member All-Star
    Good deal

What a joke.

Hope Vilma takes it straight to court. Fuck an appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    What a joke.

So he can lose in a court of law and we mock him even more?! They all got what they deserved. They should be lucky they didn't get kicked out of football for good, cause that's what I would have done if I was the commissioner. No room for this kind of shit in sports.

RIP Junior Seau

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy78 View Post
    So he can lose in a court of law and we mock him even more?! They all got what they deserved. They should be lucky they didn't get kicked out of football for good, cause that's what I would have done if I was the commissioner. No room for this kind of shit in sports.
    This.

You know what? These men are put on a fucking pedestal, worshiped like gods in their cities, make more money in a year than many of us will make in a fucking lifetime (some of us with outstanding careers/businesses of our own). Playing in the NFL is not a right it is a fucking privilege and these ass hats need to realize that. Suspend them, banish them, whatever, 10 more players will pop up in their place ready to take their jobs. This entire situation is just shameful. You can say it's common and happens all around the league all you want but it's when you get caught that something needs to be done about it to at the very least deter others from doing the same.

What a joke.

Seriously ? I really don't understand how someone can be so against punishment for intent to injure/take out bounties but can be on board for punishment handed out over something like spygate. What's worse, cheating with a few cameras/signals or putting a mans career/health at risk for the sake of money/winning ?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    RIP Junior Seau
    News out here said it was a suicide. Just got a couple minutes of it on my break. No note but a couple of texts to his kids that said I love you. What a bummer. RIP.
    Last edited by Sponge Bong Beer Pants; 05-03-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Until they actually release proof that Vilma (or anyone else) was putting the money down to INJURE players, I think this suspension is pretty unjust. It's ultimately a 3.5 million dollar fine and suspension. I find that absolutely incredible, and I feel like they're just making an example to make an example. Cover their asses for the law suits they face.

They all deserved to be punished, none of that punishment should of been a year long suspension. Joke. Take it to court, make them actually show their proof.

I don't agree with Goodell being the judge, jury and executioner.

And as for the bringing up of SpyGate, I never said what I thought the punishment should of been, just that it was light. Not really sure why you'd even go there.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    The only issue that I have is that I don't think that Vilma should have gotten the same punishment as Payton. The coach was in charge. The buck stopped with him.

Senior Member All-Star
    What a joke.

I've yet to hear you share any thoughts on this subject that aren't completely asinine. Its really almost impressive.

If you don't think they have their proof, you are absolutely out of your fucking mind. The NFL doesn't owe it to us to share everything they found and we probably don't know 20% of what they do. You honestly sound borderline pitifully bitter sitting there saying (In what I play as a nasally voice in my head) "Well I just haven't seen quite the body of evidence needed to convict this man of the charges held against him." For Christ's sake, this isn't American law, professional sports leagues that pay you 5-20 million dollars a season get to impose their own damn rules and implement whatever fucking standard they want. Don't sign the contract and go to law school if you'd rather get rich the hard way. Absolutely impossible to respect your thoughts here. They KNOW Vilma is guilty to huge extents and if you've yet to comprehend that the body of evidence the NFL is using to assess these punishments is significantly larger than the body of evidence we've witnessed, then you're just hopelessly dense. Hopeless period.

Take it to court? Are you braindead? You think American law would be less harsh on a motherfucker on the streets who put a 10,000 hit on somebody's head? Vilma should get on his knees and thank God he only got caught and punished within the confines of his NFL career. That hes not going to rot in jail over this. That he gets to return to the NFL and make another 4 million he does NOT fucking deserve in two years. Such absolutely ridiculous opinion you have on this issue, void of any trace of logic or sensibility whatsoever. You're always the moral highroad kind of guy, you act really respectable and principled around here, its really staggering how uncharacteristic your thoughts on this are relative to your usual stances on issues around here.

I'd wager at least 80% of NFL fans aware of this scandal agree with the punishments and actively pushed for them. The other 20% probably wear stained wife-beaters in public despite no muscle definition. The NFL has no obligation and really no logical inclination to reveal the full disgusting extent of everything that occured when the vast majority of its fanbase is more than pleased with the course they've taken. You can go ahead and think its unjust, quite frankly the NFL doesn't and shouldn't give a shit. They've pleased and appeased their fans while taking the moral high road that establishes the integrity they expect their athletes to uphold even within this violent sport. Its a win/win/win with just a tiny exception for ridiculous individuals who think this "wasn't such a big deal, its normal even at the high school level." The NFL wisely has chosen to ignore and all but laugh at those individuals. Good for them.

You know what? These men are put on a fucking pedestal, worshiped like gods in their cities, make more money in a year than many of us will make in a fucking lifetime (some of us with outstanding careers/businesses of our own). Playing in the NFL is not a right it is a fucking privilege and these ass hats need to realize that. Suspend them, banish them, whatever, 10 more players will pop up in their place ready to take their jobs. This entire situation is just shameful. You can say it's common and happens all around the league all you want but it's when you get caught that something needs to be done about it to at the very least deter others from doing the same.
    Exactly. Fuck all the wannabe-hardcore neanderthal ogres trying to downplay this as an over-exaggeration of activities that are "normal in football." This is a disgusting display by athletes that kids in America grow up idolizing more than any other sport out there. Football stars are our heroes growing up, this whole situation has been absurd. Its hilarious to me that anyone out there is dense and morally conflicted enough to disagree that Vilma deserved the book dropped on him for at -least- calling a paid hit on at Brett Favre's head, likely many others.
    Last edited by Kyle; 05-03-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    The only issue that I have is that I don't think that Vilma should have gotten the same punishment as Payton. The coach was in charge. The buck stopped with him.
    Payton got off easy at 1 year. Period. Vilma's punishment is appropriate but I do agree the message should be established with the most severe punishment being handed out to Payton. I wouldn't have scuffed one bit at a 2 year ban for Payton.

Eli Manning hosting SNL. I wonder if he will be as funny as Peyton.

No surprise here.

The NFL players union has challenged commissioner Roger Goodell's authority to suspend players who participated in the New Orleans Saints' pay-for-pain scandal and wants him removed from hearing appeals.

The union filed a grievance late Thursday, one day after Goodell suspended four players who participated in bounties from 2009-11. The complaint says Goodell is prohibited from punishing players for any aspect of the case occurring before the new collective bargaining agreement was signed in August.

It argues that a CBA system arbitrator, and not Goodell, has the right to decide player punishment under such circumstances, as well as rule on any appeals

Senior Member All-Star
    • His 304.0 passing yards per game (3,952—13), 66.5% career completion percentage (307 of 462), 8.55 yards per attempt (3,952—462) and six career 300-yard games are all NFL career postseason records. His 102.8 postseason passer rating is the second-best in NFL postseason history behind Bart Starr (104.8).
    • His 31 career TD passes in the postseason rank fourth all-time, despite appearing in just 13 games. Joe Montana (45 in 23 games), Brett Favre (44 in 24 games) and Dan Marino (32 in 18 games) are the only players with more postseason TD passes than Warner.

• Threw for 377 yards in Super Bowl XLIII vs. the Steelers, the second-highest total in Super Bowl history behind his 414 yards vs. Tennessee in Super Bowl XXXIV. He has the top three passing totals in Super Bowl history, having also thrown for 365 yards against New England in Super Bowl XXXVI. He is the only QB in Super Bowl history with three 300-yard performances.

Not that anyone should need a reason to respect Kurt Warner more, but I was truly unaware of just how much he dominated in the postseason.

And the three ring circus begins, again.

Saints LB Jonathan Vilma is suing NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for defamation. Lawsuit was filed today, and it's at ESPN.com
    Last edited by Sponge Bong Beer Pants; 05-18-2012 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bong Beer Pants View Post
    And the three ring circus begins, again.

Saints LB Jonathan Vilma is suing NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for defamation. Lawsuit was filed today, and it's at ESPN.com
    I heard an interview with a lawyer on Mike & Mike this morning that not only does Vilma have to prove the NFL was wrong, but that they did it with malice intent. They said this was a desperation move by Vilma and that he'd be lucky if it gets past the first motion to be thrown out of court.

I heard an interview with a lawyer on Mike & Mike this morning that not only does Vilma have to prove the NFL was wrong, but that they did it with malice intent. They said this was a desperation move by Vilma and that he'd be lucky if it gets past the first motion to be thrown out of court.
    Yeah and not only is the dummy suspended without pay this season but now he is throwing god knows how much $ at his attorneys. What a dope.

Hopefully this reveals some sort of actual proof that Vilma put money down to 'injure' players. Not some he said - she said bullshit. Real proof.

Hopefully this reveals some sort of actual proof that Vilma put money down to 'injure' players. Not some he said - she said bullshit. Real proof.
    I highly doubt the NFL would suspend a player for a whole year without real proof.

I highly doubt the NFL would suspend a player for a whole year without real proof.
    They have the proof that money was being laid, clearly. But the proof of the money being laid to injure is what I'm interested in.

I didn't say they didn't have it. I said this will hopefully force them to reveal it.

Chad Johnson arrested for domestic violence and unemployed a day later. Miami Dolphins released the WR Sunday night.

Oh hey Kyle.

And Vilma.

Glad to see the overturn. Hope it lasts.

What the hell was that!? The refs just GAVE the game to Seattle.

I'm done with this shit until they bring back the real refs.
    I'm sorry that you interpreted my incredibly funny joke as horribly offensive.

Senior Member First Liner
    Quote Originally Posted by heliosj View Post
    What the hell was that!? The refs just GAVE the game to Seattle.

I'm done with this shit until they bring back the real refs.
    Do you think the real refs are fist pumping right now? I'm a Bears fan and Green Bay just got jobbed.

Yeah, I bet they settle by week's end..

And I'm no particular fan of either team or division.. but I'm a football fan and this shit is just bad for the game.

I'm actually angry, I was ready for bed and now I'm all riled up.

The NFL's Pine Tar Incident? Would they have the guts to overturn the game?

what a mess

Assume for a minute it was a "simultaneous catch" which is a difficult argument to make because Jennings had better control and it was tucked going down.. the confusion the refs had immediately after and then during the review was astounding. They just don't know what they're doing. Trent Dilfer's perspective on it tonight was spot on, it's the NFL that's tarnishing the game.

The officiating crews should be top notch.. they should be full time.. highly trained & athletic. I don't think the fans argue this point; especially now.

By the way, hi Sponge!

Thread Information