Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post
    EDIT: By "laugh track" I'm guessing you mean "audience"? If you say so... I mean, Two and Half Men isn't really up my alley, either, but I can say that about a lot of other sitcoms too. I just don't see what makes it worse than other disliked sitcoms for people.
    "Laugh track" is not "audience".

Two and a Half Men does not have an audience. It uses a "laugh track"(lots of shows do it), where they have recorded or canned laughter that they play on the show during punch lines.

It is actually the belief of Hollywood that people are so stupid they need a cue to know when to laugh. Hence the laugh track.

Any time you hear someone laughing during a sitcom, it is not an audience. Except the 30 Rock live episode which actually had a live crowd.

Same thing applies for How I Met Your Mother, they use it too.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    "Laugh track" is not "audience".

Two and a Half Men does not have an audience. It uses a "laugh track"(lots of shows do it), where they have recorded or canned laughter that they play on the show during punch lines.
    You are incorrect. It has a live audience for every taping barring special circumstances. Same goes for Big Bang. I'm pretty sure most sitcoms have live audiences now.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    I have not seen every episode, but from the few I have seen so far, Hawaii Five-O is not bad.

Weeds is a good show as well. I find Mary-Louise Parker to be pretty hot, cant believe she's 46 years old.

Modern Family is a good show as well, as is Cougar Town

Watched the 1st season of The League on DVD as we dont get it here in Canada, good show I like it, looking forward to watching the 2nd season.
    Hawaii Five-O I really like for some reason...forgot to mention it and Weeds. (I also like The Defenders as well...enjoy the vibe compared to other law shows)

Cougar Town is annoying.

PS: does anyone actually watch Mike & Molly. I only watch 2 episodes at the start, but wow does it suck a lot of ass.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Hawaii Five-O I really like for some reason...forgot to mention it and Weeds. (I also like The Defenders as well...enjoy the vibe compared to other law shows)

Cougar Town is annoying.

PS: does anyone actually watch Mike & Molly. I only watch 2 episodes at the start, but wow does it suck a lot of ass.
    I watched the 1st show and never went back to watch anymore of it.

I'm Old Gregg! All-Star fancy19's Avatar
    I might of missed a comment on this show but what's your guys thoughts on Empire Boardwalk? Not sure if I want to start it or not.

TEAM #1
    10 team roto yahoo, unlimited moves/trades
    G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG-W,GAA,SV%,SHO

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fancy19 View Post
    I might of missed a comment on this show but what's your guys thoughts on Empire Boardwalk? Not sure if I want to start it or not.
    Boardwalk Empire?? It's 1 of the best shows out there.

You are incorrect. It has a live audience for every taping barring special circumstances. Same goes for Big Bang. I'm pretty sure most sitcoms have live audiences now.
    I wasn't aware they taped infront of an audience. You're still hearing recorded laughter though, that I guarantee. Not saying the show isn't funny, it's just infinitely easier to edit a show if the laughter is canned. There's no way they're recording the actual audience laughter and leaving it.

Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    I wasn't aware they taped infront of an audience. You're still hearing recorded laughter though, that I guarantee. Not saying the show isn't funny, it's just infinitely easier to edit a show if the laughter is canned. There's no way they're recording the actual audience laughter and leaving it.
    That may be, but because of the live factor they can only insert laughter into places where the audience actually laughed. The actors have to pause for the laughter.
    Curse of the Hamster

Oh, so every sitcom that has a live audience has a laugh track... okay.
    Curse of the Hamster

Modern Family.......best comedy on network television.....period

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    I really like Castle and The Mentalist. Got lots of those in my DVR that I need to catch up on. Merlin is pretty good too. Syfy (god I hate spelling it that way) has picked it up for another season or two. We are behind Britain though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bong Beer Pants View Post
    I really like Castle and The Mentalist. Got lots of those in my DVR that I need to catch up on. Merlin is pretty good too. Syfy (god I hate spelling it that way) has picked it up for another season or two. We are behind Britain though.
    Ah, I forgot Syfy (I, too, hate spelling it this way) was doing that. I just remembered NBC tried it out and it flopped for them.

Yeah, I'm up to date with the British. I liked the second season better than the third so far, though, with one episode left in the third.
    Last edited by Hamsterkill; 11-29-2010 at 04:26 PM.
    Curse of the Hamster

Ah, I forgot Syfy was doing that. I just remembered NBC tried it out and it flopped for them.

Yeah, I'm up to date with the British. I liked the second season better than the third so far, though, with one episode left in the third.
    So they are in season 3 or 4 over there? I grabbed 2nd season online before I realized syfy picked it up... now we are just going with the syfy schedule but off hand I don't remember when the "new" season begins.

Glad there is someone else out there who watches this. It is very underrated, I think. I was shocked when NBC dropped it but I guess the numbers were not great ? I was glad to see Syfy take a stab at it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bong Beer Pants View Post
    So they are in season 3 or 4 over there? I grabbed 2nd season online before I realized syfy picked it up... now we are just going with the syfy schedule but off hand I don't remember when the "new" season begins.

Glad there is someone else out there who watches this. It is very underrated, I think. I was shocked when NBC dropped it but I guess the numbers were not great ? I was glad to see Syfy take a stab at it though.
    Yeah, there's 1 episode left to air in Britain for season 3. It's been renewed for a 4th season but I've heard Doctor Who will push back the airing of season 4 until early 2012.

P.S. I was complaining about the 'Syfy' name when it happened, even. lol
    http://forums.hockeyinformer.com/sho...&postcount=387
    Curse of the Hamster

The Syfy name switch is lame and trendy. Seriously. Good to know about Merlin, ty : )

Also, I know it is out of date by a few years at this point but if you have never had the pleasure of indulging in the HBO series Six Feet Under, you really need to. Quality television right here.

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but I know there a few of us that watch Friday Night Lights. Best show you've probably never seen.

Also, if you've never watched the entire Lost series, then perhaps that will give you something to do through the winter months.

I can never recommend Lost. First couple seasons were pretty good. Then it just started to get ridiculous and went downhill from there. I only watched the last season because I had to know what the end of the story would be even though I knew it would be crap.
    Curse of the Hamster

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but I know there a few of us that watch Friday Night Lights. Best show you've probably never seen.

Also, if you've never watched the entire Lost series, then perhaps that will give you something to do through the winter months.
    Adding that to my list to send to my boy. Been wanting to see what all the hype was about. Thanks for the reminder.

Watched the season 1 finale for Burn Notice...really like that show a lot. (I know, I already said Burn Notice....but it's a fun show!)

Senior Member All-Star HABS_FrEaK's Avatar
    I can never recommend Lost. First couple seasons were pretty good. Then it just started to get ridiculous and went downhill from there. I only watched the last season because I had to know what the end of the story would be even though I knew it would be crap.
    You sir are a moron!

Good day

I can't find the words to express how much I hate Naonka from survivor. Childish, small-minded, spiteful, delusional, mega cunt, selfish, ridiculous

Senior Member All-Star snoopzen's Avatar
    I can't find the words to express how much I hate Naonka from survivor. Childish, small-minded, spiteful, delusional, mega cunt, selfish, ridiculous
    That is a good effort, though.

I'll put a Netlfix/DVD TV show recommendation out there.

Pushing Daisies

If you have a dark sense of humor, it's hilarious.
    Curse of the Hamster

Quote Originally Posted by snoopzen View Post
    I was able to think of a few, yes

I'll put a Netlfix/DVD TV show recommendation out there.

Pushing Daisies

If you have a dark sense of humor, it's hilarious.
    It was good...and not good. There was something about it that seemed a tad cheesy...but I still enjoyed it. The redhead was sexy. It was certainly 'different' than most shows.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopzen View Post
    Do you watch Survivor? Because no it's not that good an effort.

Words don't exist in the english language to properly do justice to how loathesome a person she was. She went from being a living black woman stereotype to being one of the worst people ever.

Senior Member All-Star boredguy's Avatar

First couple of seasons of FNL were entertaining quality went way down after that.

Also Aimee Teagarden is damn hot.

Just started watching The Event. It's pretty bad, most of the acting sucks, the storylines aren't that good, they overuse the "3 years earlier" shit so badly, and yet it's still entertaining, i have no clue how that's possible.

Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by boredguy View Post
    Also Aimee Teagarden is damn hot.
    Really? The chubby one? I'd go with either of these two:

I watch a disgusting amount of television and have seen pretty much anything worth seeing. A few simple rules I find for watching good television is to try to avoid watching anything with a laugh track because it feels so contrived, and, more importantly, any show that you can tell has a story line that only exists to keep the show going is likely shitty (24, Big Love).

I just finished Mad Men season 4 and can safely say it jumped the shark when...

You could make a case it happened before that, but you really see the sharp drop after that.

Anyway, some must watch television that I think I have named before:
    Battlestar Galactica: I hate space shows but this one has some fantastic themes.
    Arrested Development: Before the last season.
    Batman The Animated Series: Before the last season.
    Becker: You can see why Ted Danson was on Curb Your Enthusiasm.
    Better Off Ted: Only seen the first season but very promising. Imagine Don Draper in a comedy.
    Breaking Bad: I like every scene that doesn't involve family or how much Walter protects Jesse.
    Californication: Pimp.
    Columbo: A fucking classic and a shame everyone these days grows up on the garbage that is CSI.
    Curb Your Enthusiasm: Favourite show ever.
    Dead Like Me: I haven't seen this in years but remember it being smart.
    Deadwood: Bad ass.
    Extras: Gervais always impresses.
    Futurama: I haven't seen any of the new stuff but the old stuff is golden and makes a lot more sense than the stupidity that is Family Guy.
    Gary Unmarried: One of the only shows that pulls off the family comedy sitcom with unapologetic relationship banter that hits home with both sides, a must watch for people in relationships.
    Intelligence: A very smart Canadian show, like The Wire.
    Mad Men: I want to be Don Draper.
    Oz: I can understand people not loving this show but it's got some great, great characters and storylines.
    Psych: First few seasons are pretty good but his schtick gets pretty brutal after a while.
    Rescue Me: I think it went sour around the fourth season, haven't had a chance to watch the new season but I have my doubts it returns to its previous glory.
    Rome: Amazing.
    Scrubs: Just don't watch season nine. Ever.
    Six Feet Under: I stopped caring about the characters after the second season, but the show is very solid.
    Larry Sanders Show: Solid show, great dry humour, and Rip Torn is awesome.
    The Shield: Top 3 shows of all-time and one of the best finishes to a series ever.
    The Wire: Also in my top 3 along with everyone else on the planet, I think.
    Trailer Park Boys: First few seasons are fantastic. Propane, propane.
    Wonder Showzen: The best kind of fucked up there is.

Currently working through Nurse Jackie, Pacific, Rules of Engagement, and Studio 60 on Sunset Strip.
    Last edited by keyboard; 12-06-2010 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard View Post
    Currently working through Nurse Jackie, Pacific, Rules of Engagement, and Studio 60 on Sunset Strip.
    Check out An Idiot Abroad. I'm sure you will like it

Senior Member All-Star HABS_FrEaK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keyboard View Post
    Scrubs: Just don't watch season nine. Ever.
    There was no season nine if you ask me, just a spin off gone wrong. Plus the last episode of season 8 was called ''My Finale''.

The series definitely had it's ups and downs but the first 3 seasons were amazing, some of my favorite tv ever. The rest of the series became a bit hit or miss but I still enjoyed it. The finale was really well done, perfect ending.

Thread Information