Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    The season finale of Mr. Robot had to be reshot... that show is very addicting- it kind of reminds me of Dexter when it first aired

^ I just got into it and am only a few episodes in, but that's shaping up to be an excellent show. Chris Harwick was comparing it to Breaking Bad on the latest Nerdist... not sure if I'd go that far but it's off to a great start.

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    I actually made that comparison on my own weeks ago, after Episode 6 (Which is still the best of the season for me by far). In terms of sheer quality, BB is the only show I can compare to Mr.Robot. The dialogue is effective enough but the plot is just brilliant. Mr. Robot is insightful, engaging, and most similarly to BB its perfectly aware of itself and what it does well and continues to give us more and more of that.

Of course, I'm only comparing Season 1 (And I believe most who make the comparison are as well). As in, to this point, Mr.R S1 matches/exceeds BB S1. We all know how many steps forward BB took in season 2 and continued to take until the end of season 5. Absolutely no one is just assuming Mr.Robot will follow suit there. You can really never predict a show ascending like BB did after Season 1 but for now, Mr Robot is every bit as interesting and has all the potential to be a show that good.

That said, a Meth empire is much easier to move forward with an engaging story than a show about a hacker. After this current story arc wraps up, they have a difficult task of transitioning into the next major segment of Mr.Robot. But we all assumed the same thing after Season 4 of BB and were pleasantly surprised. So far I put faith in Mr.Robot's writers.
    Last edited by Kyle; 08-27-2015 at 10:53 AM.

I'm only one episode in but digging Mr. Robot so far.

Mr Robot rules. It only gets better and better until the finale.

Fear the Walking Dead sucks. Boring show. No one would watch it if it wasn't connected to Walking Dead. The show does way too much stuttering and wastes too much time, and seems to think the thoughtless dialogue (A horribly acted, strung-out drug addict brother and his "fed up but too caring to give up on him" honor-roll sister, how original) makes up for the lack of any eventful sequences. And when something remotely interesting does occur, the camera and soundtrack attempt to milk the scene for all it's possibly worth, trying way too hard to convince us something badass is happening when in reality there's always very little going on.That's the case after 3 episodes, and it can very well pick up considerably as the virus spreads, but the writing leaves a lot to be desired so far. They billed the show as a family drama first and zombie survival story second, and I think that was a grossly misguided concept, and too far of a reach for TV actors. The acting on Walking Dead sucks, but the set-piece sequences are brilliant and well choreographed, and the show clearly thrives on building up to huge moments and blowing away expectations. This show instead insists on thriving on the strength of its (extremely mediocre) acting and dialogue, and it's a big miss for me. The overwhelming majority of TV actors are awful, most shows are aware of this and work around the obvious limitations, but Fear the Walking Dead just consistently throws it in your face.
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-15-2015 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Mr Robot rules. It only gets better and better until the finale.

Fear the Walking Dead sucks. Boring show. No one would watch it if it wasn't connected to Walking Dead. The show does way too much stuttering and wastes too much time, and seems to think the thoughtless dialogue (A horribly acted, strung-out drug addict brother and his "fed up but too caring to give up on him" honor-roll sister, how original) makes up for the lack of any eventful sequences. And when something remotely interesting does occur, the camera and soundtrack attempt to milk the scene for all it's possibly worth, trying way too hard to convince us something badass is happening when in reality there's always very little going on.That's the case after 3 episodes, and it can very well pick up considerably as the virus spreads, but the writing leaves a lot to be desired so far. They billed the show as a family drama first and zombie survival story second, and I think that was a grossly misguided concept, and too far of a reach for TV actors. The acting on Walking Dead sucks, but the set-piece sequences are brilliant and well choreographed, and the show clearly thrives on building up to huge moments and blowing away expectations. This show instead insists on thriving on the strength of its (extremely mediocre) acting and dialogue, and it's a big miss for me. The overwhelming majority of TV actors are awful, most shows are aware of this and work around the obvious limitations, but Fear the Walking Dead just consistently throws it in your face.
    I just watched episodes 2 & 3 last night and I am actually liking it. Yes, it has been a slow start and they are definitely 'milking scenes' but I think that is the plan as A) unlike The Walking Dead, this show isn't starting a few weeks or so into the outbreak, so to expect it to be as fast paced as The Walking Dead is unfair (and I'll add that TWD did not start off at a super fast pace either) and B) I think the Director is purposely fucking with the viewer knowing we think the suspense is leading to something. They do that with TWD I have found as well in regards to trying to throw off the scent and/or make us think something is important that really isn't...or is but we haven't gotten there in the story. I guarantee that druggie's withdrawal puts them in a hairy situation. I want to know why Travis hates guns. I want to see the friction that will continue to grow between Danny and Travis as Danny continues to play the father role to Chris with Travis right there(!). I want to see Madison become super badass. I want to see more of Alicia because she's hot...and she'll surely rebel in some way given her 'good student dating the arty black guy' persona screams wild child phase. I want to see where they go from LA whether it is to the desert or wherever.

Give the show a chance and I don't think they will disappoint!

I'll probably take a few-week break to accrue 2-3 episodes to watch in one binge, that way the slower pace won't bother me nearly as much. You're probably right.

Yeah, I pretty much always wait a few episodes of any show so as to binge. My preference is actually to wait til the whole season is over so I an binge....but sometimes you can't for fear of ppl spoiling things!!

Anyone watch Bastard Executioner?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Anyone watch Bastard Executioner?

I watched a little bit of the pilot episode but didn't care for it. Seems like the poor man's Game of Thrones.

I thought it was pretty bad too. It was all the worst elements of Sons of Anarchy (the overly macho bullshit) amplified tenfold, minus the engaging story, fantastic set-piece moments, and quality TV acting. So basically everything bad about Sons with nothing good about Sons. This show is basically a gift to Kurt Sutter for his success with Sons of Anarchy - nobody would've approved this crap otherwise.

Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Mr. Robot had me interested for a few episodes but quickly became a by-the-books shitty show. It always annoys me when a strong male lead character, in this case an autistic one, suddenly becomes more humanized and immediately becomes a huge beta loser. I understand shows need to keep the female audience interested but the romantic angles in Mr. Robot are so out of place and contrived, it's hard to watch.

Rick And Morty's second season continues to bring the same amazing content and is the best thing on television right now.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard View Post
    Mr. Robot had me interested for a few episodes but quickly became a by-the-books shitty show. It always annoys me when a strong male lead character, in this case an autistic one, suddenly becomes more humanized and immediately becomes a huge beta loser. I understand shows need to keep the female audience interested but the romantic angles in Mr. Robot are so out of place and contrived, it's hard to watch.

Rick And Morty's second season continues to bring the same amazing content and is the best thing on television right now.
    Welcome back you turd.

I'm amazed I haven't heard of an adult swim cartoon rated so crazy high on IMDB. Gonna check that out tonight perhaps.

Has anybody watched Life in Pieces? It's like vintage Modern Family mixed with Friends with Better Lives, it's pretty funny.

The first episode had some funny moments (namely the vagina storyline) but they lost me by the 2nd episode - trying too hard to be Modern Family imo and too formulaic with the jokes. Also, the casting seems pretty rando!

I'm in fucking love with The Leftovers! Season 1 left me unsure if I liked it or not. Season 2 changed that...wow!!!

F is for family was a semi recent binge watch. The first one starts a little slow, but the second one had me hooked. It was one of the funnier things I have watched in a long time. It's only 6 episodes and I hope they bring it back for another season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    F is for family was a semi recent binge watch. The first one starts a little slow, but the second one had me hooked. It was one of the funnier things I have watched in a long time. It's only 6 episodes and I hope they bring it back for another season.
    Very funny show. I like it more than Rick and Morty even.

I'm REALLY digging Colony

It's bound to get cheesy/shitty a la most network shows but Lucifer is interesting.

My verdict is not out yet for the X-Files reboot. The 1st episode I really liked. The 2nd was pretty bad. This week's was a homage to the silly episodes from the first run...it was funny but hopefully there aren't many of these in future...once in a while is ok, too often not so much imo.

Just finished House of Cards S4 and holy shit did they redeem themselves. I had lost interest midway through S3 but picked it up again on the recommendation of a friend -- glad I did. The Underwoods are some cold motherfuckers. Glad to have them back.

Thread Information