Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    I don't see them as being that far apart. I really don't believe those $120M reports, TBH.
    Me neither.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Adam Dunn signed with the White Sox, guess we will get to see how he does in the AL.

Sounds like the Red Sox have finally got A-Gon from the Padres, sounds like 4 prospects going the other way.

Nice deal for the Red Sox, now they can move Youk over to 3B full time.

Boston just got alot better.

Sounds like they are still going to try and land Crawford as well.
    Last edited by two24four; 12-04-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Motorcat's Avatar
    Braves resigned Hinske the other day and traded some prospects for Scott Linebrink ......... Both of these moves make the Braves deeper on the bench and pen IMO.

Other news (some mentioned and some not) from this past week

* Adam Dunn to the ChiSox for 4yrs/$56million.

* Adrian Gonzalez tentatively traded to Red Sox for highly touted Red Sox minor leaguers, trying to work out extension. (Looks like Beltre's days in Boston are over, Youk to 3B).

* Jeter deal on the horizon, 3yrs/$51million with potential for a 4th year.

* Victor Martinez to the Tigers for 4yrs/$50million.

* Red Sox re-signed Jason Varitek to 1yr/$2milion.

* Pat Burrell re-upped with the Giants on a 1 year, incentive/performance heavy contract.

* Plenty of names on the trading block: Mark Reynolds, Jose Reyes, Heath Bell, Zack Greinke.

* Non-tenders: Bobby Jenks, Matt Diaz, Lastings Milledge, Russell Martin, Andrew Miller (yes, that one, just threw him in there because he has been described as a "project" for whoever picks him up).

Insert obligatory AL East complaining from a Toronto fan.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard View Post
    Insert obligatory AL East complaining from a Toronto fan.
    Makes AA job real tough.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Makes AA job real tough.
    Well yea, how do you compete with 2 teams that can continually trade big prospects for big name talent and continually repeat the cycle year after year?

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Well yea, how do you compete with 2 teams that can continually trade big prospects for big name talent and continually repeat the cycle year after year?
    Like I said it's really tough.

Rosenthal now also thinks the Red Sox should go after Werth as well.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/B...t-Stove-120410
    Last edited by two24four; 12-04-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Senior Member All-Star boredguy's Avatar
    Oh man, A-Gon in Boston is a scary thought. He could put up Pujols type numbers outside of Petco and in a decent lineup.

Berkman signed a one year $8M deal with St. Louis today.

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Tampa has found a way

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Makes AA job real tough.
    I don't know if you hated Ricciardi or love Anthopoulos but you have a really annoying bias when you talk about him.

It's always been a tough job, was tough for Ricciardi but the guy got very little credit because of his public persona.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcat View Post
    Tampa has found a way
    Sucking balls for a fucking decade is not a way to manage a franchise in Toronto, buddy. Get a clue or stay out of the conversation.

Tampa has found a way
    That's what happens when they draft 1st or near the top every year.

I don't know if you hated Ricciardi or love Anthopoulos but you have a really annoying bias when you talk about him.

It's always been a tough job, was tough for Ricciardi but the guy got very little credit because of his public persona.
    That pretty much sums it up.

Kam

- first off, I am not your buddy.

- next, just like you .......wanted or unwanted I'll join any conversation I want to around here.

And finally you have really been pushing the boundaries here lately. I think you were warned earlier today by another mod but I'll make it perfect clear.
    You are real close to getting some time off and given your repeated history here it could be a significant one.

Baiting and being insulting to others is just simply not going to be allowed.
    Last edited by Motorcat; 12-04-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Kam

- next, just like you .......wanted or unwanted I'll join any conversation I want to around here.

And finally you have really been pushing the boundaries here lately. I think you were warned earlier today by another mod but I'll make it perfect clear.
    You are real close to getting some time off and given your repeated history here it could be a significant one.

Maybe I should have put "buddy" in italics. I figured my sarcasm would get across without it. At least other moderators have the decency to PM me.

And nice job replying to the actual comment, pal.

At least other moderators have the decency to PM me.
    You addressed your comments to me in public so I did the same.

Plus I just want to make sure everyone know we (the mods) are aware of the situation and are addressing it.

-- So as not to disrupt the thread further feel free to PM me any concerns

You addressed your comments to me in public so I did the same.
    I addressed TB's ability to compete in the AL East in public, so you power trip as a response and think it's the same thing. No need to get into PMs, nothing more to talk to you about.

Get a clue or stay out of the conversation.
    This is not addressing TB ability to compete ....... its insulting and baiting for a reply. No power trip involved - thats why you were warned.

With that said lets stay off the thread unless on topic or if you feel the need to respond further just PM me but like you said "no need" cause I really don't want to lock a good thread

Thanks

Apologies everybody.........

I am going to lock this up for a bit while some things are discussed - hopefully we can get back on topic very soon.
    Last edited by Motorcat; 12-04-2010 at 06:58 PM.

Unlocked.
    I'm sorry that you interpreted my incredibly funny joke as horribly offensive.

Tampa has found a way
    Ok, so add in sucking for a decade and building up a ridiculous farm full of talent!

Kam

I love how most of you guys call the MLB draft a crapshoot and then proceed to say the only reason the Rays got competitive is because of drafting near the top.

They got there because of drafting well period. Yeah, having the #1 pick helped alot but that's not the end all.

Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    I love how most of you guys call the MLB draft a crapshoot and then proceed to say the only reason the Rays got competitive is because of drafting near the top.

They got there because of drafting well period. Yeah, having the #1 pick helped alot but that's not the end all.
    It was from good drafting, but look at the number of top picks they had and tell me that didn't help more - Price, Longoria, Upton, etc.

They made some great moves, no doubt, but a few great moves with no payroll aren't enough to compete in the AL East, otherwise the Jays would have made the playoffs by now.

They would have not been even remotely competitive without those picks, that isn't up for debate.

And I think if the Jays were in the basement as long as the Rays were, the team would have likely been moved. So, you're a GM of a team in a division with the two bigger payrolls in baseball, you cannot put a bad product on the field to build for the future, nor can you spend enough to compete with two other teams...

What do you do? You have to make amazing signings and trades, right? Great. Now ask yourself what players want to play in Canada knowing what kind of chance their team will have in the AL East?

So, what do you do?
    Last edited by keyboard; 12-05-2010 at 02:03 PM.

They made some great moves, no doubt, but a few great moves with no payroll aren't enough to compete in the AL East, otherwise the Jays would have made the playoffs by now.

They would have not been even remotely competitive without those picks, that isn't up for debate.

And I think if the Jays were in the basement as long as the Rays were, the team would have likely been moved. So, you're a GM of a team in a division with the two bigger payrolls in baseball, you cannot put a bad product on the field to build for the future, nor can you spend enough to compete with two other teams...

What do you do? You have to make amazing signings and trades, right? Great. Now ask yourself what players want to play in Canada knowing what kind of chance their team will have in the AL East?

So, what do you do?
    What I said was not to criticize, make fun or playdown what the Jays do/have done. I was merely saying that the Rays have done very well with FA's, trades and drafts (over then the top picks) to put themselves in very good positions. It's obvious Longo and Price really helped them out but other good moves played into their success.

You simply cannot say the Rays drafting #1 for a long period of time is the sole reason why they are competing with the top of the AL East now. Who wanted to play for the Rays when they sucked? Who wants to play in Tampa indoors and in-front of 100 fans every night the Yanks/Sox are not in town? Joe Madden had a lot to do with making the Rays more appealing as well.

So yes, Longo, Price and Upton play a huge role in the Rays success but how about players like Crawford, Shields and Zobrist who played who roles in the Rays success. As well as highly touted prospects like Hellickson and Wade Davis who weren't first round picks either.

Like I said, my post wasn't to knock the Jays it was more to praise the Rays. They've done alot of things well.

Can you see what I see??? Hall of Famer secol's Avatar
    don't forget rescuing carlos pena from the scrap heap
    12 team Keeper League ROTO....G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPP, GWG. W, GAA, SV%, SHO...KEEP 5

H2H 12 teamer, 4 keeper.....G, A, P, +/-, PIMs, PPP, SOG, W, S%, GAA, SHO

Want Injury Info? Check this Link Out

Sounds like A-Gon and the Sox cannot reach a deal and it could fall through.

What I said was not to criticize, make fun or playdown what the Jays do/have done. I was merely saying that the Rays have done very well with FA's, trades and drafts (over then the top picks) to put themselves in very good positions. It's obvious Longo and Price really helped them out but other good moves played into their success.

You simply cannot say the Rays drafting #1 for a long period of time is the sole reason why they are competing with the top of the AL East now. Who wanted to play for the Rays when they sucked? Who wants to play in Tampa indoors and in-front of 100 fans every night the Yanks/Sox are not in town? Joe Madden had a lot to do with making the Rays more appealing as well.

So yes, Longo, Price and Upton play a huge role in the Rays success but how about players like Crawford, Shields and Zobrist who played who roles in the Rays success. As well as highly touted prospects like Hellickson and Wade Davis who weren't first round picks either.

Like I said, my post wasn't to knock the Jays it was more to praise the Rays. They've done alot of things well.
    Crawford was a draft pick.

Draft: 1999 - 2nd round by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6870

Anyway, not saying you're knocking the Jays, I just use them as a comparison.

Here are trades made by TB:

Víctor Zambrano and Bartolomé for Scott Kazmir and Joselo Diaz
    Aubrey Huff and cash for Ben Zobrist and Mitch Talbot
    Seth McClung for Grant Balfour
    Ty Wigginton and cash for Dan Wheeler
    Brendan Harris, Delmon Young* and Jason Pridie for Jason Bartlett, Matt Garza and Eduardo Morlan
    Jeff Ridgway for Willy Aybar and Chase Fontaine
    Toby Hall, Mark Hendrickson for Dioner Navarro, Jae Seo, Justin Ruggiano
    Joyce
    Scott Kazmir for Alex Torres, Matt Sweeney, and a PTBNL: Sean Rodriguez
    Akinori Iwamura for Jesse Chavez

Here are signings:
    Akinori Iwamura 3 years/ $7.7M
    Carlos Pena 1 year/ $800K
    David Price 6 years/8.5M
    Cliff Floyd 1 year/3M
    Pat Burrell 2 years/16M
    Rafael Soriano 1 year/ $7.25M

And now the draft picks:
    Carl Crawford 1999
    Rocco Baldelli 2000
    B.J. Upton 2002
    Delmon Young 2003
    Jeff Niemann 2004
    Evan Longoria 2006
    David Price 2007

So, I just grabbed a random game from the 2008 World Series against PHI, just so we can see how much impact these picks actually had on their lineup.

Iwamura
    Crawford (draft pick)
    Upton (draft pick)
    Pena
    Longoria (draft pick)
    Navarro
    Baldelli (draft pick)
    Bartlett (acquired via trade for draft pick)
    Price (draft pick)

Well, I think that speaks for itself. Now, I'm ignoring the rotation and bullpen, and maybe I will analyze that later, but for now, I think that lineup is disgustingly influenced by a team that was a piece of shit for a decade.

And let's not forget that all these picks means less of a toll on payroll, which is a huge deal, too.
    Last edited by keyboard; 12-05-2010 at 03:23 PM.

I know Crawford was selected, he was in the second round which means other teams had a chance at him as well not just the #1 pick! That furthers my point, they have drafted very well (outside the #1 pick) and that's a huge reason why they've done so well!

Those trades are amazing!

The Rays ran more successfully then the Jays have been recently. It's just a fact. When you draft so well and make the moves they have, you put yourself in position to be good regardless of payroll! (Twins, too)

Thread Information