Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member All-Star Motorcat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    Can't imagine they'll play Chipper daily, and I'd even think Freeman would get every so often days off as well. Prado will definitely see some time in the outfield, but they do have room for another one since Prado will more then likely end up playing more games in the infield then outfield, IMO.

You missed this ...................Motorcat: I saw Frank Wrenn on MLB network today - he said the infield was Chipper third, Uggla second, Freeman first, no mention of SS. Prado will play left as he has been playing their during fall leagues

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcat View Post
    You missed this ...................Motorcat: I saw Frank Wrenn on MLB network today - he said the infield was Chipper third, Uggla second, Freeman first, no mention of SS. Prado will play left as he has been playing their during fall leagues
    I understand that's what they want, but will they stick with Freeman everyday even if he goes into a slump? How about when Chipper when he goes down?

Opening day that's what it'll be but I just can't imagine a scenario where Prado doesn't see a good chunk of games in the infield.

Then again, I'm not a Braves fan and I should shut up and listen to you.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Ken Rosenthal says the four teams on Justin Upton's no trade list are, A's, KC, DET and CLE, he can go any where else without ARI asking.

Nice to see the Canadian boy Votto win the NL MVP.

Now I hope Hamilton wins the AL MVP.

Senior Member All-Star
    So V-Mart's going to the Tigers? That should certainly help out Cabrera next year

Josh Hamilton named AL MVP, awesome.

Jose Bautista got one 1st place vote, while Cano had 0 1st place vote's, haha.
    Last edited by two24four; 11-23-2010 at 02:11 PM.

GM in the Making All-Star keys2aFranchise's Avatar
    Reports about the negotiations between Jeter and Yanks have been interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by keys2aFranchise View Post
    Reports about the negotiations between Jeter and Yanks have been interesting.
    Yeah really, Yanks GM telling him to look at other teams if he wants.

Sign with the Red Sox Jeter, haha.

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    Couldn't believe the sweetheart of a deal at 3 years and 45 million they offered Jeter.

Even more dumbfounded that he snubbed his nose at it...37 years old in June coming off a career low .270 avg? Who's gonna offer him 50?

He oughta apologize to Hankie before it's too late and off the table completely...dumbass

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Rosenthal made a good point. Jeter, with that deal, would make less than AJ Burnett at the same age. Relatively speaking, it's insulting to Jeter, the face of the franchise. I agree it's a pretty decent deal considering his age and inevitable decline over the 3 years, but still, he's earned the right to hold out for now, IMO.

Yeah no way is Jeter signing for less then what Burnett makes.

I dont like Jeter or the Yanks, but how crazy would it be to see him wearing another teams jersey.

I have no problem with what the Yankees are doing. It's a fair deal to Jeter. It's above market value for a SS of his qualities at his age. I hope the Yankees don't budge, where else is Jeter going to go?

Senior Member All-Star
    Jeter does bring more to the table than just his abilities on the field. There's leadership qualities. And not that the Yankees need help filling their park or selling merchandise, but he does certainly help there as he's one of the most popular players in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipes16 View Post
    Who's gonna offer him 50?
    Depends on how desperate teams are. I've heard Baltimore or St Louis thrown around. Or what about Detroit, LAA or even San Fran? There are certainly teams that could use him, just depends on how much they'll pay

He just finished up a 10 year 189 million dollar deal. He was well taken care of by the Boss with that deal and I still cant believe he turned down this one at 45 million for 3.

How much dough does one need...let him go to Baltimore, as a Sox fan I dont want him at that dough and age regardless of intangibles

Senior Member All-Star
    I've always thought he was an overrated SS defensively, but there's no question he was a great hitter. If he can't hit any more, then no he's not worth that kind of money. However, lots of players aren't worth the money they ask for, and yet still get it

Quote Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
    I've always thought he was an overrated SS defensively, but there's no question he was a great hitter. If he can't hit any more, then no he's not worth that kind of money. However, lots of players aren't worth the money they ask for, and yet still get it

I'm sure if he was to not resign with the Yanks, he might be willing to sign with DET seeing as he's from the area.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Couldn't believe the sweetheart of a deal at 3 years and 45 million they offered Jeter.

Even more dumbfounded that he snubbed his nose at it...37 years old in June coming off a career low .270 avg? Who's gonna offer him 50?

He oughta apologize to Hankie before it's too late and off the table completely...dumbass
    LOL. You are completely wrong on all counts. If we just looked at the money, it's pretty fair. It's about more than that with him. I don't blame the Yankees for offering that but I do for the way that they have gone about things in the press.

He just finished up a 10 year 189 million dollar deal. He was well taken care of by the Boss with that deal and I still cant believe he turned down this one at 45 million for 3.

How much dough does one need...let him go to Baltimore, as a Sox fan I dont want him at that dough and age regardless of intangibles
    As I said, it's about more than the money here but it is also really easy for us to sit her on our computers and question how much money someone wants or needs. If that's the case, everyone should just play for the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    As I said, it's about more than the money here but it is also really easy for us to sit her on our computers and question how much money someone wants or needs. If that's the case, everyone should just play for the minimum.
    Please do tell what exactly it is that you think he's looking for? More years? Does he plan on playing into his early 40's? Respect? Is the baboon next to him at 3rd making so much more than him that it's disrespectful to be offered 3 and 45?

I brought up the 10 year 189 million deal to suggest that he was treated more than fairly from George 10 years ago in the first place. Now they offer him 3 years at 15 million per to stay on at 36 and retire as a top 4 Yankee of all time like he should and he says no way? I say retire because by the time that 3 years is up he likely wont be playing short anymore and I cant see the guy moving over to second base ever.

Where does he get the ego to turn that down? He's not a 15 million dollar a year player anymore, let alone for 3 more years at that dough even with MLB's ridiculously overinflated salaries.

HAHAHAHAHA. Jeter wants a 6 year deal worth 150 million. Good luck with that.
    http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=342923
    Free agent shortstop Derek Jeter is reportedly asking the New York Yankees for a new six-year, $150 million deal

I just read that as well, that's F-ing crazy, good luck dude.

Suddenly Bernie Madoff doesn't seem like such a bad shit

Please do tell what exactly it is that you think he's looking for? More years? Does he plan on playing into his early 40's? Respect? Is the baboon next to him at 3rd making so much more than him that it's disrespectful to be offered 3 and 45?

I brought up the 10 year 189 million deal to suggest that he was treated more than fairly from George 10 years ago in the first place. Now they offer him 3 years at 15 million per to stay on at 36 and retire as a top 4 Yankee of all time like he should and he says no way? I say retire because by the time that 3 years is up he likely wont be playing short anymore and I cant see the guy moving over to second base ever.

Where does he get the ego to turn that down? He's not a 15 million dollar a year player anymore, let alone for 3 more years at that dough even with MLB's ridiculously overinflated salaries.
    His last contract was extremely inflated and he should thank A-Rod every minute of the day for it but that last contract has nothing to do with his next contract. Now, I am obviously not in on all of the details but I would think that there are numerous factors in play here. Jeter is the captain, was a big part of their 4-in-5 from 1996-2000, and is only 1 year older than A-Rod. A-Rod signed a contract through the 2017 season. Now, I am not saying that Jeter should be signed through that season but I can see him having a problem with being offered a 3 year deal at a pay decrease, being told that it was a take it or leave it offer, and then being told to shop for another offer in the press if he wasn't happy. I agree that 3/45 is more than fair for his on the field talents but this is about more. It's about the Yankee brand. As a hater, you might not want to discuss that but it is real. He is the face of the most prosperous franchise in (American) sports. I didn't see the need for them to alienate him like that. Sure, they can do what they want but what purpose does it serve?? He is their captain and I don't see a way for this to end pretty unless they end up offering him more money or years. If he comes back at 3/45, it will look like he came back with his tail between his legs. Is that really necessary?? Eventually, all will be forgotten but it really wasn't something that needed to be done. They knew all along that they would need to overpay him because of his name, his status, the brand, and what he has done for it so I don't know why this couldn't just be done privately, as they initially said they would.

So on the one hand you admit that he was overpaid with his last deal but instead of thanking Arod shouldn't he really be thanking the Yankees for forking over that 189 million because they were the one's with pockets deep enough to even make it happen 10 years ago. They dont owe him a damn thing for what he's done in the past, he has been compensated, that bill is paid.

Using the Arod is 1 year younger than Jeter defense doesn't hold water because Arod's deal came at age 31 on the heels of a monster MVP season which was his 2nd in 3 years with NY pre roids.

.314 - 54 hr - 156 rbi - 143 runs - 24 steals = 25 million per. He was arguably the best player in the game at that time and not 36 yrs old coming off a year in which he hit .270.

Not disagreeing that he is the face of the franchise or all the intangibles he brings to the Yanks but at what cost? Again, he's been taken care of in a big way by the Steinbrenner's and for him to try and bend the club over with this 150 million ransom is so horse shit that its laughable. Is there even a doubt that Hank is chapped as shit after hearing those demands? He potentially isn't going to retire as a Yankee over money after they paid him in excess of 200 million...nice

It's pure greed on Jeter's part because in reality the tip of the iceberg for him at his age is 60 million guaranteed and if Hankie decides to say fuck him, he wont even see that on the open market. Christ, his ego is only rivaled by Kim Kardashian's and they both look like whore's.

So on the one hand you admit that he was overpaid with his last deal but instead of thanking Arod shouldn't he really be thanking the Yankees for forking over that 189 million because they were the one's with pockets deep enough to even make it happen 10 years ago. They dont owe him a damn thing for what he's done in the past, he has been compensated, that bill is paid.

Using the Arod is 1 year younger than Jeter defense doesn't hold water because Arod's deal came at age 31 on the heels of a monster MVP season which was his 2nd in 3 years with NY pre roids.

.314 - 54 hr - 156 rbi - 143 runs - 24 steals = 25 million per. He was arguably the best player in the game at that time and not 36 yrs old coming off a year in which he hit .270.

Not disagreeing that he is the face of the franchise or all the intangibles he brings to the Yanks but at what cost? Again, he's been taken care of in a big way by the Steinbrenner's and for him to try and bend the club over with this 150 million ransom is so horse shit that its laughable. Is there even a doubt that Hank is chapped as shit after hearing those demands? He potentially isn't going to retire as a Yankee over money after they paid him in excess of 200 million...nice

It's pure greed on Jeter's part because in reality the tip of the iceberg for him at his age is 60 million guaranteed and if Hankie decides to say fuck him, he wont even see that on the open market. Christ, his ego is only rivaled by Kim Kardashian's and they both look like whore's.
    If that bill is paid, why do you keep bringing it up?? He should thank A-Rod because his crazy contract inflated the going rate for superstar SS at that time. The Yankees were actually quite stupid because George got cold feet or they could have signed him for about $70M less. Either way, I stand by my point that his last contract has nothing to do with this 1.

Let me try to get you away from your apparent hardon for money that he was already paid. Jeter is their captain. The Yankees have always been a team that celebrates it's past and Jeter is the face of this run (1996-present). Both sides want a reunion (I refuse to say wanted as of this point). Why would you want to alienate the face of your franchise?? Shit, he is a handful of hits away from doing something that no Yankee has ever done. Not a huge record in a MLB sense but with all of their history, no one has ever done it in a Yankee uniform. I reiterate that I don't think that the 3/45 was a bad offer on it's own. If they just made the offer and kept their mouths shut, I would have no issue. I just question why they needed to make the offer and then go to the press with it and the fact that it was a take-it-or-leave-it offer. That was completely unnecessary. Well within their rights but completely unnecessary.

I don't fault Jeter/Close for wanting more. I brought up the age comparison with A-Rod to show that it isn't crazy talk for him to want more years. Sure, A-Rod had the regular season numbers but he hadn't proven shit in the postseason. 3/45 or 4/60 isn't much different to them. They have thrown bad money away in the past for dogshit. There's no reason to make Jeter look like this in the press.

I don't know if you just like saying Hankie or what but he has little to nothing to do with this or any other baseball signings.

With Jeter and the Yanks being about $80M apart I wonder what's going to happen, will one side give in abit, or will Jeter really be walking away from the Yanks, that would shock me.

Jeter is making it real easy for the Yanks to walk away...and not take a bunch of shit from the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    With Jeter and the Yanks being about $80M apart I wonder what's going to happen, will one side give in abit, or will Jeter really be walking away from the Yanks, that would shock me.
    I don't see them as being that far apart. I really don't believe those $120M reports, TBH. If anything, that's his agent doing what fantasy owners do when they get a shit offer: he responded with an equally shitty offer.

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Jeter is making it real easy for the Yanks to walk away...and not take a bunch of shit from the fans.
    I disagree completely. Upper management will get killed if Jeter doesn't come back. I have seen no better than a 90%-10% split on this matter in favor of keeping Jeter. Some of that 10% number is probably Met fans trying to stir the pot.

Thread Information