Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member All-Star HABS_FrEaK's Avatar

The Walking Dead

I don't know if we have any fans of this awesome comic on here, I don't usually read comics but this one is amazing. A must read for any zombie fan.

Anyways they are coming out with a tv series and the pilot has leaked online and you can find it here

http://divxme.com/u21x68oynetp.html

This series could really become something amazing!

I didn't realize that this series was going to be based on a comic, but I had seen the previews during Rubicon and Madmen, and I am definitely planning on tuning in.

"In order to improve the mind, we ought less to learn, than to contemplate."
    - Rene Descartes

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    - R.W. Emerson

Senior Member All-Star
    I was a little disappointed by the first episode. For a 90-minute series premier, nothing much happened. It was very well done, no doubt about the production quality, but it didn't have much to draw you in. The opening was great, and the last 10 minutes were cool, but I was expecting more from the rest of it

The first episode reminded me a lot of I Am Legend (the book, not the movie), particularly the scenes with Rick, Duane, and Duane's father. I thought the directors were a little heavy handed with the compassionate killing scenes, but that was really my only gripe with the premiere.

I would suspect you're not alone, eff, in thinking that there could have been more action. Most people who tune in to watch a show about zombies aren't going to be concerned with the moral implications of a husband not killing his wife, even though he knows she'll wind up a zombie otherwise.

Either way, I think this show has real potential. AMC is quickly catching up to HBO as the home of the best series on TV.

- Rene Descartes

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    - R.W. Emerson

I think AMC has already surpassed HBO. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Rubicon... all awesome shows. HBO right now has... Entourage, How to Make it in America, Boardwalk Empire... all good shows but not on the same level as AMC. Oh, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Anyways I enjoyed the premiere. Looking forward to the next episode.
    Last edited by pjm; 11-01-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
    I was a little disappointed by the first episode. For a 90-minute series premier, nothing much happened. It was very well done, no doubt about the production quality, but it didn't have much to draw you in. The opening was great, and the last 10 minutes were cool, but I was expecting more from the rest of it
    They had to set up the storyline I suppose. While it wasn't like watching 28 Days Later or Dawn of the Dead, my hands were clammy the whole time. I like zombie movies, etc. but I always worry that my blood pressure spikes like mad when I watch them!

All in, I enjoyed the first episode. (my only gripe is I have to watch it in standard def...no HD AMC up here )

Quote Originally Posted by pjm View Post
    I think AMC has already surpassed HBO. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Rubicon... all awesome shows. HBO right now has... Entourage, How to Make it in America, Boardwalk Empire... all good shows but not on the same level as AMC. Oh, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Anyways I enjoyed the premiere. Looking forward to the next episode.
    Is Rubicon any good? I watched the first episode and found it kinda boring.

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Is Rubicon any good? I watched the first episode and found it kinda boring.
    The concept has been enough to keep me interested, but the writing and acting aren't up to par with some of AMC's other great shows.

- Rene Descartes

- R.W. Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Zangetsu View Post
    The concept has been enough to keep me interested, but the writing and acting aren't up to par with some of AMC's other great shows.
    The lead guy that was in The Pacific annoys me...maybe that's why I didn't keep watching.

Funny to see you guys mention Rubicon -- I remember being intrigued by the pilot that aired after the Breaking Bad finale, but never followed up with actually watching the series this fall. Supposedly season 1 just finished? That's another show I've been considering trying to catch up with...

Zang is right, it's not on the same level as Breaking Bad or Mad Man but that doesn't mean its bad. I really enjoyed the first season of Rubicon.

^^^Yeah, if the writing improves, Rubicon will be right up there with the others. The premise of the show is very complicated (but also very intriguing), and I think the writers just tried to cram too much into the first season. Now that they've established the foundation, I hope they'll be more patient with season two.

- Rene Descartes

- R.W. Emerson

Second episode was decent but I hate that these zombies can use tools (the rock to break the glass). Isn't that against the code of zombie movies or something?

There is no code for Zombie movies. Every movie or series has there on version of zombies, since they are fictional you can basically do what you want with them.

I liked the episode but they have already changed a lot in favor of more action. In the comic he meets up with Glenn in the city and they manage to run away on there on. They are going pretty slow with this. The comic is at about 80 issues if im not mistaken and after 2 and a half hours they aren't as far story wise as the end of the 2nd issue. I think the whole covering themselves with zombie blood actually happened in the comic but much further in the story, not sure though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Second episode was decent but I hate that these zombies can use tools (the rock to break the glass). Isn't that against the code of zombie movies or something?
    If you want to get technical, I believe it's the zombies that were recently turned that have more muscle memory and can do more things like climbing over a fence, or trying to climb up a ladder. The longer they're dead, the more they turn into the shuffling, mindless, walking corpses. But those that were recently infected are able to do slightly more physically.

[/zombie analysis]

I liked the second episode, lots more action but still not much in the way of character development. Not that I expect it to be a drama, but it's tough to care about what happens to any of the characters. Still though, looking forward to the next one.

One thing that bugged me, when they're chopping up the zombie, or even running around with axes, aren't they supposed to be worried about getting blood on themselves? I though even the smallest drop of blood could infect you according to basically every other zombie movie. Seems like they should have wrote it to make them all more careful about things like that

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    One thing that bugged me, when they're chopping up the zombie, or even running around with axes, aren't they supposed to be worried about getting blood on themselves? I though even the smallest drop of blood could infect you according to basically every other zombie movie. Seems like they should have wrote it to make them all more careful about things like that
    As was mentioned, zombie rules can vary quite abit between sources. However, this is one thing that I honestly have hardly ever seen in a zombie movie. I think only the 28 Days/Weeks movies have done this recently. Most zombie rules that I'm aware of require a bite to be infected.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

If you want to get technical, I believe it's the zombies that were recently turned that have more muscle memory and can do more things like climbing over a fence, or trying to climb up a ladder. The longer they're dead, the more they turn into the shuffling, mindless, walking corpses. But those that were recently infected are able to do slightly more physically.

[/zombie analysis]
    Fair enough. And yeah, the parts where the zombies tried climbing the ladder and the chain-link fence also annoyed me but not to the extent the rock did. The muscle memory business would explain the ladder and the fence but not really the rock. Whatever i'll let it slide.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Not a huge fan. Just watched the first two episodes. Not much happens for a relatively long show, IMO.

I think the rock in hand was more to give a more plausible excuse for them breaking the glass...certainly not well thought out by the director, etc! (I also think Walking Dead's budget is not terribly high so there will be 'holes' in the finished product)

Senior Member All-Star
    The muscle memory business would explain the ladder and the fence but not really the rock.
    I think it would. It's just memory of being able to manipulate objects and tools. Like how you'd know to grip a fence or ladder to try and climb it, they'd know to pick up an object and use it to smash against the window rather than just their hands. It's not like the zombie was throwing the rock against the window or anything like that. It's just that fleeting remainder of muscle memory, like how they'd know to climb on top of the tank when Rick was in it, or how they'd be able to get into the blocked off alley or the sewer. At least that's my take on it

AMC cancelled Rubicon

That's too bad. The premise of the show was great.

- Rene Descartes

- R.W. Emerson

I'm Old Gregg! All-Star fancy19's Avatar
    I just watched the trailer, this looks good, downloading the first 2 episodes now

TEAM #1
    10 team roto yahoo, unlimited moves/trades
    G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG-W,GAA,SV%,SHO

Senior Member All-Star canuckthug's Avatar
    I caught 30 mins of this show yesterday.. Im guessing it was episode 2. Good show from what i watched.. When it started to rain, they could have taken cover!? but obviously its only a TV show... Whats gonna happen to the guy on the roof?

I'm Old Gregg! All-Star fancy19's Avatar
    oooo I just watched the first two episodes and like this...what night does it air?

TEAM #1
    10 team roto yahoo, unlimited moves/trades
    G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG-W,GAA,SV%,SHO

Senior Member All-Star canuckthug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fancy19 View Post
    oooo I just watched the first two episodes and like this...what night does it air?
    Its on right now on AMC. I believe every Sunday is a new episode. The episode is called, "Tell it to the Frogs."

Really liked the 3rd episode. Lori is kind of getting on my nerves, wasn't a big fan of that actress in Prison break either. Dale, Glenn and Andrea are well done. Love all three in the comic so I'm glad they seem to have them right.

Dale is great. He's easily my favorite character so far.

It sucks that they're only airing six episodes for the first season. Anybody know if/when season two is supposed to start?

- Rene Descartes

- R.W. Emerson

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    On August 31, 2010, Darabont reported that The Walking Dead had been picked up for a second season, with production to begin in February 2011. On November 8, 2010, AMC confirmed that there would be a second season consisting of 13 episodes.[3] Darabont, who wrote and directed the pilot, spoke of his plans to introduce fan favorite Michonne early on in the second season's run. He would also like to include some of the "environmental elements" that take place during Volume 2 of Kirkman's book.[16]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wal...28TV_series%29

If production starts in February, it'll probably air in Fall 2011.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

I'm still not convinced this show is better than Rubicon...

There is just something that other AMC shows have that this one doesn't. I don't know what it is, but it's missing something.

Doesn't mean the show is bad or anything - i'll keep watching. Maybe i'm still sour they cancelled Rubicon.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Zangetsu View Post
    It sucks that they're only airing six episodes for the first season. Anybody know if/when season two is supposed to start?
    Yeah, it's tough to build a good following with such a short series. Though it's worked before. It certainly looks like the next episode is going to be a good one though

Thread Information