Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by Dubz View Post
    Well im just trying to catch up to speed but was left unimpressed by the first episode. The last one from the past season was pretty good tho (it aired just before the new one) Ill stay on board for a while, but admit i never watch weekly series so they better make it more interesting than last night.
    Yeah, that was not the best episode for getting into the series for the first time. Definitely a transitional episode -- Dexter the character is at a big crossroads and who knows how it'll turn out. I still think this might be the last season.

If you have the chance, try going back a season or two (or start at the beginning).

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Yeah...my buddy has the first 3 seasons on dvd
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ih8music View Post
    Not sure how I feel about the first episode of the season. I realize he was in shock, but the way he completely lost the ability to relate to people was a little difficult to believe. And it looks like they're setting up Quinn to be Doakes 2.0... unfortunately.
    The show always needs a Doakes character to sustain itself, everyone looks past him because they're used to him, but it's natural that the new guy would see Dexter as curious given his behavior and all the coincidences that surround him.

The payoff comes only with how they ultimately decide to write the climax of that character's arc.

I literally took the exact opposite view from the episode that you did. I thought the way it was written it was interesting that they used the voice-overs to push the notion that he was kind of hiding behind his rough exterior, and kept saying he wasn't a human, when in reality it was clear that the death had hurt him, and that ultimately showed through in the final scene in the bathroom.

I think it's one of the most subtly brilliant acting performances I've seen in a while to have the character's voice over, and even what he was saying be one thing, and have the empty look of someone jarred by the loss.

With Breaking Bad on hiatus, next year's Emmy is up for grabs, Bryan Cranston will not be in them, I think Michael C. Hall stands a very good chance on the strength of this episode(although obviously we live in a rediculous spoiled age right now where TV that is off major networks has gotten so shockingly good he's still got heavy competition without Cranston as the front runner from John Hamm, now Steve Buscemi's emergence not to mention with Breaking Bad out of the way, Sons of Anarchy should get a strong look this year).

What I'm most curious about is what comes next with the end of the episode. In the past they've made a huge deal about him killing outside of Harry's code and then immediately ignored it. I wonder if this season they will legitimately make it vital, especially given how "sloppy" the kill was.

Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    The show always needs a Doakes character to sustain itself, everyone looks past him because they're used to him, but it's natural that the new guy would see Dexter as curious given his behavior and all the coincidences that surround him.

The payoff comes only with how they ultimately decide to write the climax of that character's arc.
    I think my biggest concern about Quinn being "Doakes 2.0" is that they've already done that storyline. The wrinkle with Deb & Quinn hooking up will no doubt make it interesting (and I'm not going to complain about seeing "more" of Jennifer Carpenter ) -- but I'm just worried that it'll be too much of a re-hash of the past.

I literally took the exact opposite view from the episode that you did. I thought the way it was written it was interesting that they used the voice-overs to push the notion that he was kind of hiding behind his rough exterior, and kept saying he wasn't a human, when in reality it was clear that the death had hurt him, and that ultimately showed through in the final scene in the bathroom.
    But for me, that's why it didn't ring true. He's spent years working on his "mask" to act like other people... and he couldn't even pretend to be sad? at all? I know Rita was his anchor in the "normal" world, but it just seemed a bit overboard in how he behaved -- around Rita's kids & family, especially.

I dunno... I'll watch it again this weekend before the next episode. Maybe I missed out on some of the subtlety the first time around.

What I'm most curious about is what comes next with the end of the episode. In the past they've made a huge deal about him killing outside of Harry's code and then immediately ignored it. I wonder if this season they will legitimately make it vital, especially given how "sloppy" the kill was.
    Indeed. The way they cut the episode, it didn't seem like he would have had enough time to clean up the scene at all, let alone dispose of the body.

Quote Originally Posted by ih8music View Post
    But for me, that's why it didn't ring true. He's spent years working on his "mask" to act like other people... and he couldn't even pretend to be sad? at all? I know Rita was his anchor in the "normal" world, but it just seemed a bit overboard in how he behaved -- around Rita's kids & family, especially.

I dunno... I'll watch it again this weekend before the next episode. Maybe I missed out on some of the subtlety the first time around.
    That's what I'm saying, he didn't need to "fake" or pretend to be sad, because he was legitimately hurt by the loss...so hurt he didn't think about doing it, he was in complete shellshock, which as someone who dealt with the loss of my father just last year, I can tell you first hand I know all too well the exact emotion he portrayed in the episode, because I lived it. It's not sadness right away, sadness comes, but for a day or so given how close I was to my father, it was kind of just shock, an empty feeling where you can't help but think about all the things he won't be around to do anymore.

The episode had little to do with him having to put on a mask, he was legitimately distraught. Everything in the episode rang true, the completely shocked feeling/look, him searching for something to do, or fix, in this case it was covering up evidence of his darker side, and ultimately the absolute raw outpouring of emotion as it all finally hits him.

Really liked last night's episode. Looks like this season will be pretty darn good after all.

Can you see what I see??? Hall of Famer secol's Avatar
    wonder what he'll do now......also get the feeling that there is something off with the nanny
    12 team Keeper League ROTO....G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPP, GWG. W, GAA, SV%, SHO...KEEP 5

H2H 12 teamer, 4 keeper.....G, A, P, +/-, PIMs, PPP, SOG, W, S%, GAA, SHO

Want Injury Info? Check this Link Out

Quote Originally Posted by secol View Post
    also get the feeling that there is something off with the nanny
    I agree. She's too perfect -- somehow she'll either turn out to be messed up herself, or she'll start to uncover the truth about Dexter.

Really interested in seeing what happens with the Julia Styles character. He can't (or, at least shouldn't) kill her, but he also can't really allow her to be off on her own now.

One thing that I actually like about this season is how sloppy Dexter is getting. I suspect he's going to be leaving behind a whole lot more evidence than he normally would (he's already done it). More reinforcement that this might be the season where he's finally outed...

Elixir of the Mongoose First Liner Dexter's Avatar
    also get the feeling that there is something off with the nanny
    If you go to the website and watch the previews for next week's episode, it pretty much spoils a little bit about what happens.

Yahoo! Hockey 12-Team H2H Auction League 7:4 (G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, GWG, W, SV%, GAA, SO)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 3BN, 1IR
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Member All-Star HABS_FrEaK's Avatar
    "Dying time." Snap!

best.kill.ever

Elixir of the Mongoose First Liner Dexter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HABS_FrEaK View Post
    "Dying time." Snap!

best.kill.ever
    I thought he said "Die die", quoting Harrison from earlier.

Yahoo! Hockey 12-Team H2H Auction League 7:4 (G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, GWG, W, SV%, GAA, SO)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 3BN, 1IR
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah i'm pretty sure it was die die lol........feels like lumen is going to get dexter caught sooner or later. funny how masuka described the scene though lol
    12 team Keeper League ROTO....G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPP, GWG. W, GAA, SV%, SHO...KEEP 5

Senior Member All-Star HABS_FrEaK's Avatar
    haha maybe youre right, thats actually better. I loved the ill either way

It's deffinitely "dying time", watched it back a few times.

Season is shaping up very nicely, much different feel.

The closed captions said "die die" fwiw.

This episode was really good up until the last minute. Her little speech and dexters "I now know how I can help Lumen" speech was a little too soap-opery for me.

wow so liddy has pics of dexter and lumen disposing......i wonder what happens now. seems like he won't do anything and will make quinn pay out the nose for the info

I don't think the pics were actually of them dumping the body parts. He seemed to have just caught them boarding Dexter's boat with the body parts still loaded up in luggage.

As far as I can tell, Liddy seems to be working under the assumption that Dexter murdered Rita so he could be with Lumen.

"In order to improve the mind, we ought less to learn, than to contemplate."
    - Rene Descartes

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    - R.W. Emerson

great episode tonight. i guess liddy did know about the bags like i said after all since he noticed they had them when they left and they came back without the bags.
    interesting storyline with liddy vs quinn, takes some heat off dexter although chase is going after him now

I'm Old Gregg! All-Star fancy19's Avatar
    Agreed, next weeks episode looks intense as well, it seems everyone is being intertwined to the dark passenger!

TEAM #1
    10 team roto yahoo, unlimited moves/trades
    G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG-W,GAA,SV%,SHO

so i guess next up on the block is chase......i wonder what liddy does now that he has even more dirt

that was an intense episode. still not crazy about some of the soapy dialogue between Dexter and Lumen, but there certainly isn't a lack of excitement this season.

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    still working on season 4, fuck. Sometimes I really hate being so fucking busy... but I do enjoy the fact that I can enjoy the newness of a show well after everyone else has gotten their fill. That being said. Have not read any recent posts here... just tripped out when I flipped on the tele tonight and saw some animation sort of dexter in the process of being recorded. Made me go wth?

good show last night

I'm Old Gregg! All-Star fancy19's Avatar
    good show last night
    Can't wait to watch it tonight along with the walking dead

TEAM #1
    10 team roto yahoo, unlimited moves/trades
    G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG-W,GAA,SV%,SHO

I agree, great episode. Even though this season took a while to get going and I'm not loving it as much as last season, it's been really good these past few weeks.

Has anyone heard definitive word on another season? I doubt this is the end of the run, or else they'd be hyping it up.

There is a Season 6, they signed up last week.

Senior Member First Liner
    Has anyone read the new Dexter book, Dexter is Delicious? Didn't even know a new book came out until yesterday (I was at Chapters picking up Fight Club and turned around and saw it).

not as good as they could've made it

Senior Member All-Star Rocklobster's Avatar
    yeah for sure last season was the best. The finale yesterday was mediocre... i wish quinn would die already. and letting two murder suspects go because you have a "hunch" is just stupid.

I thought it was fine. Nothing close to last season, but not bad either.

Thread Information