Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dexter

I only gotten into it the last couple of seasons, but I keep wanting to dive into the beginning of the story. I've gleaned a bit of his origins through the recent storylines, but it'd be cool to watch it all get started. One of these days.

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    This seems like a show that you need to follow from the start. . . to truly appreciate, but I am barely 4 episodes into season 1 so what do I really know.

Spotted another regular from the old HBO series OZ. That's 3 so far and I am only 4 episodes deep. I wonder if it's the same writers or directors or what? I haven't had time to look into it but with at least 3 actors from the popular series OZ and 2 of them with pretty significant roles here in Dexter, there's got to be some sorta tie.

Either way, loving Dexter so far !

Btw for any regulars, what season is airing on showtime now a days ? How far behind am I ?
    Last edited by Sponge Bong Beer Pants; 05-21-2010 at 05:11 AM.

Elixir of the Mongoose First Liner Dexter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bong Beer Pants View Post

Btw for any regulars, what season is airing on showtime now a days ? How far behind am I ?
    Season 5 is airing this September.

Yahoo! Hockey 12-Team H2H Auction League 7:4 (G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, GWG, W, SV%, GAA, SO)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 3BN, 1IR
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Old Gregg! All-Star fancy19's Avatar
    Sponge, it's very addicting and you will far be done season 4 by the time 5 comes out

TEAM #1
    10 team roto yahoo, unlimited moves/trades
    G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG-W,GAA,SV%,SHO

Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    This seems like a show that you need to follow from the start. . . to truly appreciate, but I am barely 4 episodes into season 1 so what do I really know.

Spotted another regular from the old HBO series OZ. That's 3 so far and I am only 4 episodes deep. I wonder if it's the same writers or directors or what? I haven't had time to look into it but with at least 3 actors from the popular series OZ and 2 of them with pretty significant roles here in Dexter, there's got to be some sorta tie.

Either way, loving Dexter so far !

The OZ connection is merely coincidence. None of the main producers had anything to do with that show.

Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    The OZ connection is merely coincidence. None of the main producers had anything to do with that show.
    No doubt? I am surprised. I thought with the actors there was a sure connection. What about the writers ?? There has to be some sort of tie here. Even the narrative feels kinda familiar.. not entirely of course, but you know, the way Dexter narrates throughout the show kinda reminds me of Augustus Hill and the way he would chronicle the story/events happening in OZ.

Either way -- addicted already !

Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    but you know, the way Dexter narrates throughout the show kinda reminds me of Augustus Hill and the way he would chronicle the story/events happening in OZ.
    Maybe you should go back and watch Oz. The narration is nothing alike.

Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    I haven't found out the who's who connection as far as names go but a quick Dexter search on google gave me this --

"The creative forces behind this series have worked on such Cable hits as Six Feet Under, Oz and The Sopranos. They take full advantage of the creative freedom that cable offers and deliver a show that stands alone in its content. Something like this would never make it on network TV. Actually, something like this would never even make it to network TV. "

Damn already finished with season 1. Great, great, great stuff! I'm super curious to see where season 2 goes now that the Ice Truck Killer fiasco has been basically resolved!

Can't get much better than this can it ? That was an awesome ride/story line !

Deb is hot

Anyone read the book this series is based off of? Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay ?

Is it worth a read? I am thinking about picking it up.

Senior Member First Liner
    I've read all 4 of the books, I thought they were a good read. Books 2, 3, & 4 differ from the storylines used in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan1 View Post
    I've read all 4 of the books, I thought they were a good read. Books 2, 3, & 4 differ from the storylines used in the show.
    Okay so there are 4 books in the series? I didn't know that. Thanks ! After a lil research I am finding --

Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Dearly Devoted Dexter
    Dexter In The Dark
    Dexter By Design

Does that sound about right ? And is the order correct ? They are listed in the "customers who bought this book also purchased" blah blah blah section at Barnes n Noble.

I am all over ebay or amazon lookin for a cheap used copy of the first book and will go from there, I guess.

Senior Member First Liner
    Okay so there are 4 books in the series? I didn't know that. Thanks ! After a lil research I am finding --

Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Dearly Devoted Dexter
    Dexter In The Dark
    Dexter By Design

Does that sound about right ? And is the order correct ? They are listed in the "customers who bought this book also purchased" blah blah blah section at Barnes n Noble.

I am all over ebay or amazon lookin for a cheap used copy of the first book and will go from there, I guess.
    Yeah that's the right order.

Samurai Stickhandler All-Star toronto1979's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan1 View Post
    Even book 1, though about the Ice Truck Killer differs from the storyline of the TV series. I won't give away any spoilers, but after watching the series first I was happy to see the book was different.

And Sponge Bob, part of the appeal of Dexter (at least for me) is because it's based on the book series, each season has a resolution at the end - like the books. While plotlines do carry over season to season, because it's based on the books, the main plots wrap up nicely (unlike Lost).
    12 Team Keep-10 League - Silver

16 Team All Categories - 5th

18 Team Office Pool - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by toronto1979 View Post
    Even book 1, though about the Ice Truck Killer differs from the storyline of the TV series. I won't give away any spoilers, but after watching the series first I was happy to see the book was different.

And Sponge Bob, part of the appeal of Dexter (at least for me) is because it's based on the book series, each season has a resolution at the end - like the books. While plotlines do carry over season to season, because it's based on the books, the main plots wrap up nicely (unlike Lost).
    Yeah I've been noticing this myself. It's part of what makes the series so enjoyable. Every time a resolution is met at the end of the season I think oh man now what? How do the writers top that?

To my surprise, I start the next season and realize that somehow they manage to do just that! Like it just keeps getting better and better !

I am halfway into season 3. Fuck. Talk about an addiction. I also picked up the first installment of the books and am about halfway into it. Ahhh... what can I say, I love Dex!

just saw this (avoid the spoiler if you haven't watched season 4 yet):

Showtime has confirmed news that Julia Stiles will appear in ten episodes of "Dexter" this season.

Season five of "Dexter," which starts production this month, will run this fall on the channel.

Stiles' feature credits include "Ten Things I Hate About You," "Save the Last Dance," "The Omen" and the three "Bourne" movies opposite Matt Damon.
    loved her in the Bourne films

I'm Old Gregg! All-Star fancy19's Avatar
    nice find music hater, can't wait till season starts

TEAM #1
    10 team roto yahoo, unlimited moves/trades
    G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG-W,GAA,SV%,SHO

Shitty...not a big Julia Styles fan

I am halfway into season 3. Fuck. Talk about an addiction. I also picked up the first installment of the books and am about halfway into it. Ahhh... what can I say, I love Dex!
    I *JUST* finished watching the 2nd episode of season 4. Tonight is going to be a late night.

Quote Originally Posted by ih8music View Post
    loved her in the Bourne films
    rethinking my intial gut reaction... I loved the Bourne films and thought her character was pretty good. not that it matters, but I suppose I didn't really love her the actress all that much... though I certainly didn't hate her.

Senior Member All-Star HABS_FrEaK's Avatar
    She has to be better than the one she is replacing...always disliked her

^ she was annoying but for some reason I wanted to fuck the shit out her.

Can you see what I see??? Hall of Famer secol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    ^ she was annoying but for some reason I wanted to fuck the shit out her.
    12 team Keeper League ROTO....G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPP, GWG. W, GAA, SV%, SHO...KEEP 5

H2H 12 teamer, 4 keeper.....G, A, P, +/-, PIMs, PPP, SOG, W, S%, GAA, SHO

Want Injury Info? Check this Link Out

(obviously contains spoilers about the end of season 4.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUbCMbW-BRE"]YouTube- Dexter Season 5 Trailer (Comic Con)[/ame]

season 5 starts in 2 months... can't wait!

Looks like I was way off base with my prediction that he cleans up the scene before cops arrive, too. gonna be a messy season, I think. Is Quinn the new Doakes?

Quote Originally Posted by ih8music View Post
    Is Quinn the new Doakes?
    It would appear that way. Similar storyline for sure.

I wonder if this could be the last season? Surely the series cannot stretch out for 10 years. I think 5 or 6 seasons might be a solid run, after that it would get a little tiresome (as much as I love the show). Better to burn out than fade away right? Plus Six Feet Under was only 5 seasons.

On a sidenote, has anyone seen the movie "Gamer" with Gerard Butler? Michael C Hall plays a billionaire and does a great little dance sequence at the end. If you've seen it you know what I'm talking about.

Senior Member All-Star dripsey3's Avatar
    I'm on the other side of the Pond (Ireland). Dexter is shown here, but it's not prime time or anything so I have to buy the DVDs. Season 3 is out on DVD next month in Europe. Maybe I should invest in a multi region DVD player.....

Quote Originally Posted by toronto1979 View Post
    I wonder if this could be the last season? Surely the series cannot stretch out for 10 years. I think 5 or 6 seasons might be a solid run, after that it would get a little tiresome (as much as I love the show). Better to burn out than fade away right? Plus Six Feet Under was only 5 seasons.
    As much as I love this show, I kind of hope this is the last season or next-to-last season. I have a hard time seeing them make a villain any better than Trinity - so there really aren't too many ways for the series to progress without falling into a rut. One of those ways is for Dexter to come unglued and/or get caught, which is what that trailer implies.

Can you see what I see??? Hall of Famer secol's Avatar
    new season starts tonight (in about 45 mins for me )
    12 team Keeper League ROTO....G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPP, GWG. W, GAA, SV%, SHO...KEEP 5

H2H 12 teamer, 4 keeper.....G, A, P, +/-, PIMs, PPP, SOG, W, S%, GAA, SHO

Want Injury Info? Check this Link Out

Not sure how I feel about the first episode of the season. I realize he was in shock, but the way he completely lost the ability to relate to people was a little difficult to believe. And it looks like they're setting up Quinn to be Doakes 2.0... unfortunately.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Well im just trying to catch up to speed but was left unimpressed by the first episode. The last one from the past season was pretty good tho (it aired just before the new one) Ill stay on board for a while, but admit i never watch weekly series so they better make it more interesting than last night.
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Thread Information