Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    It's amazing how we tend to 2nd guess situations like this. How about a 1st guess? I don't recall anyone criticizing anyone when Ellsbury was leading off and Boston had the best record in the AL. That happened to be as recent as September 1st.

I don't see the issue here with Ellsbury. When healthy, Boston has a stacked lineup. Who gets moved? Youk? Gonzalez? Ortiz? I know that Youk has been hurt but they have a ton of guys that could hit 3rd. Shit. They were trying to give Ellsbury away last season for a bag of balls.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Sportsnet in Canada is showing all four games that mean something tonight. Playoffs pretty much start tonight, if they have not for some already.

WOW, what a night of baseball.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    What an amazing few minutes.

Wow that was an insane night of baseball!

Senior Member All-Star canuckthug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Sportsnet in Canada is showing all four games that mean something tonight.Playoffs pretty much start tonight, if they have not for some already.
    Hell Yeah. What an end to a season. Wow. If you dont like that, you dont like Baseball.

tampa Bay down 7-0 early. fast forward to the bottom of the 9th, 2 outs2 strikes, down by 1...

Sorry Boston! You guys have dominated the Sports scene for sometime.. I feel ZERO sympathy for your collapse.

-signed Canuck fan

LOL, collapse complete!

Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    The team in a Wild Card hunt that's pulling hard is the Cardinals. Playing unreal baseball and closing in on the faltering Braves. That'll be damn interesting.
    The Braves collapsed just as hard. I believe they were 8.5 games up at one point in September. [King Killah and Motorcat gotta feel that one.] Schedule worked out nicely for the Cards. Braves had Philly (best) while the Cards had the Astros (worst team in baseball). It was 'a little' less dramatic in the NL.. St. Louis got it done, Atlanta faltered. but still crazy day night for baseball to say the least..

all i know is the Tigers play the Yanks on Friday. Verlander vs Sabathia
    -The Brewers locked up home field today.
    -Not sure about the other matchups.. find out later!

Senior Member All-Star
    Awesome night of baseball, I'm hoping the playoffs provide as much excitement each night

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nineoneone View Post
    Sorry Boston! You guys have dominated the Sports scene for sometime.. I feel ZERO sympathy for your collapse.

-signed Canuck fan
    nobody's looking for any sympathy...we're too busy moving onto Brady's next 4 TD game come this Sunday and hanging some laundry from the rafters next Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by Snipes16 View Post
    nobody's looking for any sympathy...we're too busy moving onto Brady's next 4 TD game come this Sunday and hanging some laundry from the rafters next Thursday
    Don't you mean next 4 INT game?

Sounds like Boston and Francona are going to go there own ways.

Not the right move IMO.

He won't be looking for a job for long I would think.

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    not too shabby 13

although it could be suggested that Marco's villa in Balty this weekend may not exactly be a glassproof structure

Quote Originally Posted by Snipes16 View Post

Speaking of Ellsbury, have you seen his numbers out of the leadoff spot..

.322 AVG - 31 HR's - 103 Ribs - 117 Runs - 208 Hits - .377 OBP - .928 OPS - 38 SB

Verlander my arse

no love for Curtis Granderson??

136 R , 41 Hr, 119 RBI, 25 SB.

Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    It's amazing how we tend to 2nd guess situations like this. How about a 1st guess? I don't recall anyone criticizing anyone when Ellsbury was leading off and Boston had the best record in the AL. That happened to be as recent as September 1st.

I don't see the issue here with Ellsbury. When healthy, Boston has a stacked lineup. Who gets moved? Youk? Gonzalez? Ortiz? I know that Youk has been hurt but they have a ton of guys that could hit 3rd. Shit. They were trying to give Ellsbury away last season for a bag of balls.
    I've been complaining about it for a bit, just no reason or outlet to really post it here.

It's also easy to mask it and say "don't recall anyone complaining when they were winning". Well, even if that were the case which it's not in this instance, circumstances change as well. When they were winning, they had Youk/Gonzalez/Ortiz etc going.

The last game of the season they had a middle of the lineup of Ortiz batting third(1 HR 8 RBI in September), Adrian Gonzalez batting 4th, and Ryan Lavarnway batting 5th(who went 0/5 with 9 men left on base). Jacoby Ellsbury who was hitting .358 with 8 HR in September, was leading off.

Ellsbury had an OPS of 1.000 post-all star break. You know how many guys posted an OPS higher than that this year? 2. Miguel Cabrera and Jose Bautista.

For the whole year his OPS only trailed Cabrera, Bautista, Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Matt Kemp, Lance Berkman, David Ortiz, Adrian Gonzalez and Joey Votto.

His SLG% was even higher in the league. Ahead of Adrian Gonzalez.

It's not hard, no one who is hitting the ball that hard belongs leading off for a team. There is certainly something to be said for his ability on the bases(although frankly, this year, he was pretty terrible on them, 39 SB and 15 CS is a horrible ratio).

Even 2nd would work, that's where Granderson hit this year and I have no problem with that.

But you can't have your best hitter for the 2nd half of the season, and main run producer for the 2nd half of the season, keep coming up either to lead off the game, or after the 8/9 hitters.

Obviously this is a minor gripe compared to other complaints about the Red Sox organization this year(especially if the drinking in the clubhouse rumors are true), but I felt like it was noteworthy.

Thread Information