Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade chat

Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    It's their top 3 prospects for a player that possibly they would lost in a year+. I can completely understand where they and YOU guys are coming from too.

I would never bitch about getting a player of Roy's caliber but if we didn't, I'm fine with it. Starting pitching is a need for the Dodgers, as is bullpen help.

It'll be interesting, but you guys calling out Philly like they. They don't want to gut their farm system, it's understandable.
    Then don't talk to us. If you're not ready to gut your farm system, you can't trade for the best starting pitcher in major league baseball this decade. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    Then don't talk to us. If you're not ready to gut your farm system, you can't trade for the best starting pitcher in major league baseball this decade. It's that simple.
    First of all, you have no clue if the Dodgers are talking to them or not. Second, that's fine if we can't get him off you! We are in contention regardless! I'm hoping we acquire someone like Washburn and then some 'Pen help. We are not in dire need of Halladay, no need to perhaps cripple the future of the club!

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toronto1979 View Post
    If Roy were to get traded to the Phillies or the Dodgers, I would almost guaruntee that he extends his contract with one of them.

He's a loyal player and wants to play for a winner. LA and Philly are winners. Why would he test the FA market to take more money to go back to a team like the Jays?
    Agreed, this is what I think he does as well.

SF & CLE made a trade, SF gets 1B Ryan Garko for minor league pitcher Scott Barnes.

Nice pickup for SF IMO.

Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    First of all, you have no clue if the Dodgers are talking to them or not. Second, that's fine if we can't get him off you! We are in contention regardless! I'm hoping we acquire someone like Washburn and then some 'Pen help. We are not in dire need of Halladay, no need to perhaps cripple the future of the club!
    Once again I guess I need to apologize, you were speaking on behalf of Phillies fans, I was speaking "to" Phillies fans.

Although the same applies to the Dodgers, they can't have him without Kershaw, they should know they can't, and they shouldn't be talking unless they're coming with him. If they don't want to do that trade, I can see that.

The Phillies not being willing to move Drabek is WAY different, Phillies need him way more, the window is closing for that team to make another run, and everyone the Jays want from them has not established themselves at all in the majors yet(JA Happ sorta, but he's not as good as his numbers look right now).

If the Phillies aren't willing to do it for Happ, Drabek and Brown, they can fuck off, and go get Jarrod Washburn or Erik Bedard. They're just as good...

Yes, I can blame Phillies fans if there are Phillies fans that don't want those 3 moved. Jimmy Rollins is 32, and both he and Howard are free agents in 2011. The window is closing...Halladay gives them 2 more years to make runs at a world series.

They should want that deal done yesterday.

Alot of teams are also after some other Jays players from what I have heard/read, alot of teams seem to be after Rolen & Scutaro, Cincy wants Rolen pretty bad, I have also seen Overbay, & Downs names come up.

Samurai Stickhandler All-Star toronto1979's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Alot of teams are also after some other Jays players from what I have heard/read, alot of teams seem to be after Rolen & Scutaro, Cincy wants Rolen pretty bad, I have also seen Overbay, & Downs names come up.
    From Rotoworld:

Gordon Edes of Yahoo.com cites a source with knowledge of the negotiations that the Red Sox offered Clay Buchholz, Michael Bowden and top outfield prospect Ryan Westmoreland in exchange for Roy Halladay.

The package is comparable, if not better, than what the Phillies have offered at this point, but it is believed that the Red Sox might have to pay more in order to complete the trade within the division. According to Edes, the Blue Jays are also shopping Marco Scutaro, so the Red Sox may be trying to get a third team involved.
    12 Team Keep-10 League - Silver

16 Team All Categories - 5th

18 Team Office Pool - Gold

Yeah the Jays have made it well knowen that if Halladay goes to an AL East team it will have to be for ALOT more then what they would be getting back from say teams like Philly, LAD, LAAAAA etc......I know they have told the Yanks it would prob take a trade with both Joba & Hughes for sure, + more to get a deal done with them.
    Last edited by two24four; 07-28-2009 at 03:37 PM.

GM in the Making All-Star keys2aFranchise's Avatar
    I sort of agree with the logic about it costing an AL East team more to obtain Roy, but if that is what the Red Sox offered (and FWIW the Sox are denying the offer) then the Jays should be all over it.

It's nice to think we can keep Roy out of AL East but if he hits Free Agency there is a very good chance he will end up back in AL East.

Yeah, the Jays should be jumping all over that Red Sox offer, I agree.

Maybe if this Red Sox deal is true, then maybe that will get Philly thinking about maybe giving into what the Jays want, Happ/Drabek/Brown before they watch the Jays trade him to the Red Sox or another team with an offer the Jays want.
    Last edited by two24four; 07-28-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Apparently Bo Sox are close to obtaining Cliff Lee

Quote Originally Posted by keys2aFranchise View Post
    Apparently Bo Sox are close to obtaining Cliff Lee
    I have read Philly is now looking into getting Lee as well, sounds like they are talking anyways.

(and FWIW the Sox are denying the offer)
    GMs will always deny leaks about offers. If the trade doesn't go through they don't want they players to know that they were offered up - just leads to bad morale in the dressing room. Think how that might effect Buchnolz's performance knowing he could be on a plane any day now.

So just like the Sox denied that offer, the Dodgers denied that rumour, and the Phils denied the other rumour, I don't believe the proposal wasn't put forth. Just that the GM doesn't want it to be public knowledge.

Standard procedure.

GMs will always deny leaks about offers. If the trade doesn't go through they don't want they players to know that they were offered up - just leads to bad morale in the dressing room. Think how that might effect Buchnolz's performance knowing he could be on a plane any day now.

So just like the Sox denied that offer, the Dodgers denied that rumour, and the Phils denied the other rumour, I don't believe the proposal wasn't put forth. Just that the GM doesn't want it to be public knowledge.

Standard procedure.
    kinda what i meant by FWIW

This time of year sucks, especially when your in a position like the Dodgers.

I hope Lee gets moved ASAP as that should likely increase the price of Halladay as teams competing try to get the leg up after being dealt the blow by ?Philly?LA?Yankees?BoSox?etc.?

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    Lots of buzz here in Boston speculating that if the Sox miss the boat on Halladay they could be making a play for Adrian Gonzalez.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipes16 View Post
    Lots of buzz here in Boston speculating that if the Sox miss the boat on Halladay they could be making a play for Adrian Gonzalez.
    You need Gonz much more than Doc.

kinda what i meant by FWIW
    touché

My mini-rant there wasn't directed toward you, but people in general who say "so-and-so has denied that rumour".

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    I hope Lee gets moved ASAP as that should likely increase the price of Halladay as teams competing try to get the leg up after being dealt the blow by ?Philly?LA?Yankees?BoSox?etc.?
    Sounds like that might just happen, Philly & CLE sound like they are getting close to a Lee deal, but I also read the LAD are trying to get him as well.

Looks like Lee is going to Philly along with Ben Francisco for Jason Knapp, Carlos Carrasco, Lou Marson & Jason Donald.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...dians'-Lee

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    Once again I guess I need to apologize, you were speaking on behalf of Phillies fans, I was speaking "to" Phillies fans.

Although the same applies to the Dodgers, they can't have him without Kershaw, they should know they can't, and they shouldn't be talking unless they're coming with him. If they don't want to do that trade, I can see that.

The Phillies not being willing to move Drabek is WAY different, Phillies need him way more, the window is closing for that team to make another run, and everyone the Jays want from them has not established themselves at all in the majors yet(JA Happ sorta, but he's not as good as his numbers look right now).

If the Phillies aren't willing to do it for Happ, Drabek and Brown, they can fuck off, and go get Jarrod Washburn or Erik Bedard. They're just as good...

Yes, I can blame Phillies fans if there are Phillies fans that don't want those 3 moved. Jimmy Rollins is 32, and both he and Howard are free agents in 2011. The window is closing...Halladay gives them 2 more years to make runs at a world series.

They should want that deal done yesterday.
    I am completely with you here from a talent perspective but for you to completely ignore the other factors isn't right. It's really easy for us to tell an organization what to do when it's not our team or our money. I'm sure that they would absolutely love to add a talent like Halladay to their team. I agree that the love affair that these teams have with their prospects is retarded but adding that much payroll in this economy isn't easy. We can dissect their team all we want but they really didn't need to make a deal here. As constructed, they are either the favorite to win the NL or a close 2nd behind LA.

All this doesn't matter because they traded for Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Looks like Lee is going to Philly along with Ben Francisco for Jason Knapp, Carlos Carrasco, Lou Marson & Jason Donald.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...dians'-Lee
    Wow, neither Happ nor Drabek is involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Snipes16 View Post
    Wouldnt you like that.

Wow, neither Happ nor Drabek is involved?
    Nope, I read that one MLB scout said he does not think CLE got enough, he only likes Knapp in the deal for CLE.

Well, this should clear the door for Roy...or it won't..but with Philly already (arguably) the best team in the NL, you would think LAD, etc. will now try to get a leg up by acquiring a WAY better SP than Lee. Clayton Kershaw, come one down! (I know, I know...let me pretend for now!)

With Philly now out of the Halladay trade talks, this really could be 50/50 if he's traded at all by Friday now, T-Bay Bay has pretty much said they are out as well, which leaves the LAD, are they really ok with giving up what the Jays want? Kershaw +++?, LAAAAA, Jays have already told them who they want, but LA is saying it's to much, or TEX, do they have enough? & then you have BOS who have already made a really good offer, is JP wanting more because they are an AL East team? then you have the Yanks, the Jays have said they want both Joba & Hughes, which I doubt the Yanks would want to do, who know's I guess.

By they way, what time is the deadline Friday?
    Last edited by two24four; 07-29-2009 at 06:24 PM.

If that's all the Tribe got for Lee, the Jays should take Boston's offer.

If anything I would say that the Lee trade brought the bar down, it didn't give any other teams more motivation to pay extra. I was hoping Lee would go to a team other than the Phillies.

*sigh*

I just read that the LAD might be feeling some pressure now to trade for Halladay after Philly has traded for Lee, but prob no Kershaw coming back this way.
    Last edited by two24four; 07-30-2009 at 12:19 AM.

Thread Information