Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 51

Thread: US Open

  1. #1
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,547

    US Open

    It's early I know, but thru 7 Mike Weir is leading with a -4, he's looking really good today.

  2. #2
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Wish it didn't rain like it did.. these scores are too high for Bethpage Black and the Open.



  3. #3
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,748
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    Wish it didn't rain like it did.. these scores are too high for Bethpage Black and the Open.
    Agreed although the scores will come back a little.


  4. #4
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    Agreed although the scores will come back a little.
    Needs to not rain at all anymore so it can dry out.. and I've heard more rain at sometime this weekend.



  5. #5
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,748
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    Needs to not rain at all anymore so it can dry out.. and I've heard more rain at sometime this weekend.
    I am close enough that I can vouch for the "more rain in the forecast". I am referencing the fact that we usually have some players that come out of the gate fast. There are obviously more than usual but they could always let the rough grow a little more with the added rain. Even if they didn't want to, there are ways that they can toughen up the golf course.


  6. #6
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,547
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    Needs to not rain at all anymore so it can dry out.. and I've heard more rain at sometime this weekend.
    Yeah I heard they are calling for alot tomorrow as well.

    Weir still kick some as so far.

  7. #7
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    I am close enough that I can vouch for the "more rain in the forecast". I am referencing the fact that we usually have some players that come out of the gate fast. There are obviously more than usual but they could always let the rough grow a little more with the added rain. Even if they didn't want to, there are ways that they can toughen up the golf course.
    Forgot your up there, so there is rain in the forecast?

    The course is going to get tougher regardless, pressure mounts and it instantly is harder. I do agree with you about the rough and all though.

    Its a good leaderboard at this point though, I just don't like the scoring.



  8. #8
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,547
    Great 1st round for Weir -6 (64).

  9. #9
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,748
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    Forgot your up there, so there is rain in the forecast?

    The course is going to get tougher regardless, pressure mounts and it instantly is harder. I do agree with you about the rough and all though.

    Its a good leaderboard at this point though, I just don't like the scoring.
    Looks like rain tomorrow and then decent on Sunday before another possible rainfall. I don't mind red numbers.......for now. Let me see Weir or someone else be 10-12 under after 2 rounds. Then, I'll worry. I guess that they could also get creative with some pin positions. What really troubles me is watching guys stop their balls on the green like any other tour stop.


  10. #10
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    Looks like rain tomorrow and then decent on Sunday before another possible rainfall. I don't mind red numbers.......for now. Let me see Weir or someone else be 10-12 under after 2 rounds. Then, I'll worry. I guess that they could also get creative with some pin positions. What really troubles me is watching guys stop their balls on the green like any other tour stop.
    That is that damn rain



  11. #11
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,748
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    That is that damn rain
    I know. I was hoping that softer fairways would curtail that a little but no dice. The rain in the tri-state area has been insane.


  12. #12
    Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    26
    Posts
    10,115
    They'll take care of the greens tomorrow I'm sure and double cut and roll em. It'll be fine. You can't deny Weir had a great round of golf.

  13. #13
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    They'll take care of the greens tomorrow I'm sure and double cut and roll em. It'll be fine. You can't deny Weir had a great round of golf.
    He played awesome on the course as it is right now. He was smacking the rescue club all day long, but then again it was slapping on the green and not moving a lick.. something that shouldn't happen on these greens.

    Weir has a legit shot though here as long as he keeps his head together. I think he will hang around.



  14. #14
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,547
    Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    They'll take care of the greens tomorrow I'm sure and double cut and roll em. It'll be fine. You can't deny Weir had a great round of golf.
    He sure did, he could very easy be a -7 or 8 right now.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    26
    Posts
    10,115
    How about Duval at -3.

    For my pool at work we had to pick 10 golfers. 7 have to make the cut and your top 7 scores are added and the lowest total obviously wins. I have:

    Tiger Woods
    Phil Mickelson
    Adam Scott
    Padraig Harrington
    Rory McIlroy
    Sergio Garcia
    Sean O'Hair
    Anthony Kim
    Jim Furyk
    Geoff Ogilvy

  16. #16
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    How about Duval at -3.

    For my pool at work we had to pick 10 golfers. 7 have to make the cut and your top 7 scores are added and the lowest total obviously wins. I have:

    Tiger Woods
    Phil Mickelson
    Adam Scott
    Padraig Harrington
    Rory McIlroy
    Sergio Garcia
    Sean O'Hair
    Anthony Kim
    Jim Furyk
    Geoff Ogilvy
    Pretty cool pool and I like your picks outside of McIlory. Risky on Scott with the way he has been playing but looks to pay off right now.

    Solid set of guys.



  17. #17
    Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    26
    Posts
    10,115
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    Pretty cool pool and I like your picks outside of McIlory. Risky on Scott with the way he has been playing but looks to pay off right now.

    Solid set of guys.
    I've been high on McIlroy because I followed him throughout his European career. He's going to be a great player. Plus, I can afford some risky picks with only the top 7 being counted..

    The only thing is, I work at a golf course so everyone knows their stuff haha.

  18. #18
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    I've been high on McIlroy because I followed him throughout his European career. He's going to be a great player. Plus, I can afford some risky picks with only the top 7 being counted..

    The only thing is, I work at a golf course so everyone knows their stuff haha.
    Not tough to pick 10, honestly. Knowing golf or not. McIlory is a solid little kid, but that translates bad to a US Open, honestly. Good solid picks though.



  19. #19
    Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    26
    Posts
    10,115
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    Not tough to pick 10, honestly. Knowing golf or not. McIlory is a solid little kid, but that translates bad to a US Open, honestly. Good solid picks though.
    No I know aha, but some strategy/knowledge comes into picking for the US Open. I mean, you want guys that are long but accurate off the tee, and guys that have good recovery games.

    Looks like they're expecting darkness to settle around 8:30, meaning there's going to be a long day for a lot of guys tomorrow. Hopefully the rain holds off, although its looking like it won't, and they can get everything finished and save Sunday for the final round.

  20. #20
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    No I know aha, but some strategy/knowledge comes into picking for the US Open. I mean, you want guys that are long but accurate off the tee, and guys that have good recovery games.

    Looks like they're expecting darkness to settle around 8:30, meaning there's going to be a long day for a lot of guys tomorrow. Hopefully the rain holds off, although its looking like it won't, and they can get everything finished and save Sunday for the final round.
    Lets hope man



  21. #21
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,547

    2010 US open

    Weir is leading right now -2 through 17.

  22. #22
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Weir is leading right now -2 through 17.
    Not picking on you although it may sound like it...

    Do you feel stupid yet for giving Mike Weir updates?

    This is a HUGE pet peeve I have in this country. Not to bring up school again because apparantly every time I do nowadays I get shit on, but it's been drilled into us at school that any golf update needs to have Mike Weir in it because he's such a big deal up here. News editors want him in there because so many Canadians care so much about what he's doing.

    He won the Masters. In 2003. He's won ONE tournament in 6 years now. He is nothing in the PGA tour.

    Can we please give it a rest? Never before has an athlete been so over-rated.
    Last edited by CayugaPosse; 06-18-2010 at 11:07 PM.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,547
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    Not picking on you although it may sound like it...

    Do you feel stupid yet for giving Mike Weir updates?

    This is a HUGE pet peeve I have in this country. Not to bring up school again because apparantly every time I do nowadays I get shit on, but it's been drilled into us at school that any golf update needs to have Mike Weir in it because he's such a big deal up here. News editors want him in there because so many Canadians care so much about what he's doing.

    He won the Masters. In 2003. He's won ONE tournament in 6 years now. He is nothing in the PGA tour.

    Can we please give it a rest? Never before has an athlete been so over-rated.
    Nope not at all, I like seeing how he's doing, good or bad.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    26
    Posts
    10,115
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    Not picking on you although it may sound like it...

    Do you feel stupid yet for giving Mike Weir updates?

    This is a HUGE pet peeve I have in this country. Not to bring up school again because apparantly every time I do nowadays I get shit on, but it's been drilled into us at school that any golf update needs to have Mike Weir in it because he's such a big deal up here. News editors want him in there because so many Canadians care so much about what he's doing.

    He won the Masters. In 2003. He's won ONE tournament in 6 years now. He is nothing in the PGA tour.

    Can we please give it a rest? Never before has an athlete been so over-rated.
    Personally I think he's a pretty damn good golfer and a good representative on tour for Canada. Seems pretty logical to me to include the top Canadian on tour in any Canadian golf reports or the like.

  25. #25
    Senior Member All-Star moans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oakville
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,813
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    Not picking on you although it may sound like it...

    Do you feel stupid yet for giving Mike Weir updates?

    This is a HUGE pet peeve I have in this country. Not to bring up school again because apparantly every time I do nowadays I get shit on, but it's been drilled into us at school that any golf update needs to have Mike Weir in it because he's such a big deal up here. News editors want him in there because so many Canadians care so much about what he's doing.

    He won the Masters. In 2003. He's won ONE tournament in 6 years now. He is nothing in the PGA tour.

    Can we please give it a rest? Never before has an athlete been so over-rated.
    IT won't happen until another Canadian golfer reaches his success. No, Stephen Ames doesn't count. WHy the beef with him anyway? It's not like he's going out there and missing the cut each week. He's going out there and putting in solid results.

    Who knows, maybe your wish will come true sooner than later. Prior to turning pro, Matt Hill was the number one ranked collegiate player in the US.

  26. #26
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Yeah, I don't get Cayuga's hate of Weir

    But 24, you must of jinxed him! 79 yesterday and an 83 today! eeeek!



  27. #27
    Senior Member All-Star moans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oakville
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,813
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    Yeah, I don't get Cayuga's hate of Weir

    But 24, you must of jinxed him! 79 yesterday and an 83 today! eeeek!
    Haha, more like it was the Thursday of a major. Weir's always near the top I find.

  28. #28
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,547
    Yeah he's not doing so good now, haha.

  29. #29
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    I love the West Coast thing. Being able to lay down on the couch and flick on the Open is awesome



  30. #30
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,547
    I just got in not long ago, missed most of it today, going out again soon as well, will have to read about it later.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •