Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    My logic assumes a great number of kids have a console - fair to say 6 or 7 out of 10? I highly doubt you get the same levels in the adult crowd. (Every kid is into vids pretty much, not every adult is)

PS: the sporting event ad scenario is bunk as it is directed at the 18-35 crowd. I am sure they advertise on Toon network, etc. and they also don't need to advertise to these kids the same way as kids want any game pretty much. I think the game makers realize they do not need to blow their brains out developing fancy games because kids don't have the attention span or desire to have such compelling storylines...they just want to play play play
    While your argument isn't totally invalid, you are obviously way out of touch with the gaming industry. I'm guessing the one console you do own is a Wii, because you don't seem to have a notion of what the current generation of consoles/software have been doing lately.

The kids games that actually sell big numbers are "fancy" games (or simply games that come packaged with the hardware like Wii Sports/Wii Play), and many of them appeal to the older gaming crowd as much as to children. On top of that, most of the games that have sold big numbers on the 360/PS3 are incredibly "fancy" and are most definitely targeted at the 18-35 demo, which is why I brought up the sports commercials.

Just a few weeks ago, the primary sponsor for UFC 110 was Gamefly. For most shows the UFC puts on there is at least one sponsor from the gaming industry. And it's not just combat sports. I see commercials for new games all the time while I'm watching hockey. They wouldn't be spending big advertising bucks if there wasn't a substantial market.

"In order to improve the mind, we ought less to learn, than to contemplate."
    - Rene Descartes

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    - R.W. Emerson

XBox 360

(is it me or do those final fantasy ads make it look like a girls game?)

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    XBox 360

Final Fantasy has had that metro vibe to it since FF7. It is what it is, its not girly in Japan and thats the audience the game is ultimately made for. You must've not seen any FFX or X-2 trailers if you think this one is girly.

Ultimately, its a very serious game with a serious tone. Its definitely not girly.
    Last edited by Kyle; 03-09-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Elixir of the Mongoose First Liner Dexter's Avatar
    XBox 360

It's a prototypical JRPG commercial.

Yahoo! Hockey 12-Team H2H Auction League 7:4 (G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, GWG, W, SV%, GAA, SO)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 3BN, 1IR
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    XBox 360

Lol, watch some Zeropunctuation. He's ruthless with JRPGs.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...ro-punctuation
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Final Fantasy has had that metro vibe to it since FF7. It is what it is, its not girly in Japan and thats the audience the game is ultimately made for. You must've not seen any FFX or X-2 trailers if you think this one is girly.

Ultimately, its a very serious game with a serious tone. Its definitely not girly.
    Jesus, I was one of two men that I know that actually played through X-2. This shit was straight up "chick game."

XIII is actually a very solid game from what I can tell (I'm about 6 hours in), not as JRPG as some of the past ones other than the look of the characters of course

Quote Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
    Jesus, I was one of two men that I know that actually played through X-2. This shit was straight up "chick game."

XIII is actually a very solid game from what I can tell (I'm about 6 hours in), not as JRPG as some of the past ones other than the look of the characters of course

X-2 was definitely an exception. No argument there, that is a chick game. However, it was still an amazing RPG. Guilty pleasure game but I loved it. The battle system is arguably the top in the entire franchise (emphasis on arguably). The storyline is probably the worst of the franchise but the upgrade system, the costume system, the combat, the exploration, the available side quests, were all fantastic and implimented really well.

Senior Member All-Star
    X-2 was definitely an exception. No argument there, that is a chick game. However, it was still an amazing RPG. Guilty pleasure game but I loved it. The battle system is arguably the top in the entire franchise (emphasis on arguably). The storyline is probably the worst of the franchise but the upgrade system, the costume system, the combat, the exploration, the available side quests, were all fantastic and implimented really well.
    I actually enjoyed parts of the game other than Rikku's g-string. Mostly what you mentioned. I thought the battle system was a little thin for a FF game, actually. But yeah, it was totally a guilty pleasure game.

Shhhhh, they'll hear us talking about it. Quick change the subject!!

Yeah honestly on second thought, best combat in the franchise is a huge stretch. But I still thought it was a blast. I believe there was a faster and slower option, the faster one was too much fun. Its not in depth or complicated at all but its among the most fluid of the franhcise (if not the most) and the combat was just very enjoyable. I liked how timing played a part in everything also and I really enjoyed some of the special abilities like trigger happy. The diversity of all the costumes is what really sells the combat though, its just too fun playing that many different styles.

I'm Old Gregg! All-Star fancy19's Avatar
    So who all is buying God of War 3 next week? I never played the first two but I played the GOD3 demo, read reviews , etc and it looks amazing.

TEAM #1
    10 team roto yahoo, unlimited moves/trades
    G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG-W,GAA,SV%,SHO

If you got a PS3 you should catch up on GoW 1 and 2. They play the exact same and they're amazing games. You should catch up on the storyline too, its very cool.

GoW3 might make me buy a PS3. I don't have the spare cash now but sometime soon I'll probably bite the bullet and buy it to play it.

If you got a PS3 you should catch up on GoW 1 and 2. They play the exact same and they're amazing games. You should catch up on the storyline too, its very cool.

GoW3 might make me buy a PS3. I don't have the spare cash now but sometime soon I'll probably bite the bullet and buy it to play it.
    I actually watched a cool video called GOW in 5 min, recapped the whole story up to now

I basiclly bought my PS3 to play Demon's Souls a while back LOL

TEAM #1

Senior Member All-Star boredguy's Avatar
    GoW collection is only $30 and is worth it if you haven't played the first 2.

Informative Asshole Hall of Famer

Everyone told me how amazing this game is so I had pretty high expectations (highest of any game played so far). I didn't realize so many of my friends were 12 year old nerds. What a boring puzzle game. Tetris beats this game any day of the week.

Only played Jenga and Operation, Jenga was all kinds of awesome, Operation was all kinds of terrible. Still, if you like Jenga, it is actually a ton of funs to play with friends.

The wii is plagued by copious amounts of shovelware.

Edit: Of course, I have a wii. Unfortunately, it only surfaces during a major game release (Galaxy, Zelda, Metroid, Smash).
    Last edited by Dexter; 03-10-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Yahoo! Hockey 12-Team H2H Auction League 7:4 (G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, GWG, W, SV%, GAA, SO)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    The wii is plagued by copious amounts of shovelware.
    Shovelware is a derogatory computer jargon term that refers to software noted more for the quantity of what is included than for the quality or usefulness. The term is also used to refer to software that is ported from one computer platform or storage medium to another with little thought given to adapting it for use on the destination platform or medium, resulting in poor quality.

Got it.

Just in case any of you haven't seen Gamespot's review of Big Rigs, quite possibly the worst game of all time:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1zWEhgrLs"]YouTube- Gamespot's Alex Navarro reviews Big Rigs.[/ame]

Things you can't pick up from the vid:

- There is no AI. All the trucks you race against just sit at the start line and don't move
    - There is no music. The only sound you hear is the same engine noise looped indefinitely
    - Every truck has the same engine noise
    - There is hardly any clipping. When he drives over the bridge, the truck actually passes through the bridge to the surface below, until he eventually passes the bridge
    - The game frequently crashes on launch, selection of a level, start of a race, or any time in between
    Last edited by Dexter; 03-10-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Frantic Flea. Probably the worst game I have ever played.

So I was on video and arcade top ten back when this game out and I had the misfortune of having to play this piece of shit of a game. At least I can say I won and got to pick out one of those prize balls. Won some speakers and a couple other things. Not too shabby, but a better game would have made it that much better. MY bro got to play one of the mario games, I was jealous.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4SLjLen7-c"]YouTube- All Link: The Faces of Evil Cutscenes[/ame]

Sorry fellas, no argument, this is the worst game ever. Its one of the 3 Zelda games Nintendo had nothing to do with and all 3 are disgustingly bad. The vid is all the cutscenes durring the game compiled.

Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    For those interested, gametrailers.com has it's review of God of War III up, god almighty I can't wait for that game.

Ajde Anci!! All-Star mrtybrodur30's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    For those interested, gametrailers.com has it's review of God of War III up, god almighty I can't wait for that game.
    I heard last weekend it was amazing kinda short but still amazing, boss battles are very cool and the story is just epic especially at the end. Trying to get my hands on a copy this weekend from my sister who works for scea I just cant wait!!

YouTube- All Link: The Faces of Evil Cutscenes

Sorry fellas, no argument, this is the worst game ever. Its one of the 3 Zelda games Nintendo had nothing to do with and all 3 are disgustingly bad. The vid is all the cutscenes durring the game compiled.
    sorry, as bad as I'm sure those 2 are, the worst video game of all time (of ALL TIME) was ET for the Atari 2600. Even given how sucky video games were back then, ET was on a whole different plane that I don't think any game has ever even come close to.

There are a ton of videos out there of people bashing it, but here's one of someone actually playing it well.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxmgr2fFAuI"]YouTube- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (Atari 2600) Walkthrough[/ame]

There was absolutely nothing good about the game - it was boring, confusing, looked awful, sounded worse... but the biggest problem was how hyped the game was. I remember that the commercial they had for it ran non-stop during the pre-christmas shopping season... until the actual game was out and everyone saw how truly awful it was.

Yes, I am scarred for life.

Quote Originally Posted by ih8music View Post
    sorry, as bad as I'm sure those 2 are, the worst video game of all time (of ALL TIME) was ET for the Atari 2600.
    Wow.

Lots of media has done lots of lists of the worst video games of all times. ET and the Zelda games are almost always in the 1-4 spots. ET is usually 1-2, but I think Zelda is way worse because we knew what a good video game was at that point, it was mid-90s. ET was before the NES even released, its way more understandable.

Sony unveils Move, its PS3 motion controller

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/03/11/c...ex.html?hpt=T2

TEAM #1

I like hunting games, but this one wasn't so great. It was like House of the Dead but with deer. You'd have to shoot them as they scrolled by. Pass on this game.

Really liked this game. Only finished one game (lost to KC 5-3) but it was fun. I'm going to try The BIGS 2 and Mario Sluggers soon, see how they compare.

This game looks cool but gets repetitive and boring. Can't imagine why anyone would want to do round after round of killing guys while flailing their Wii controller around.

Good lord you play a lot of video games! Aren't you 30'ish??

Good lord you play a lot of video games! Aren't you 30'ish??

God no. The picture of the guy with my name you stalked on Facebook looked 30 though, but alas, that was not me.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    You won't be disappointed with the Bigs. Your arm will get tired though using the Wii remote after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    You won't be disappointed with the Bigs. Your arm will get tired though using the Wii remote after awhile.
    Have you played Mario Super Sluggers and MLB 2K10 yet? Both were pretty awesome.

Thread Information