Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast
    Informative Asshole Hall of Famer

Official Video Game Thread

What do you guys think of the new Live? I updated it tonight and like what I see so far. The "party" mode makes a lot of sense. I can finally talk to a bunch of people at the same time without being in the same game. The avatar is kind of cheese but I guess the kids will dig it.

I like the new Xbox, once again Kam sorry about NHL tonight. Was busy kicking a friends ass.

Edit: btw, I enjoy playing Goalie on Be a Pro. Although I occasionally let in a softy.

Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    I like the new Xbox, once again Kam sorry about NHL tonight. Was busy kicking a friends ass.

Edit: btw, I enjoy playing Goalie on Be a Pro. Although I occasionally let in a softy.
    No worries. I hadn't played in a week or so, so I needed the practice. Went 3-0 online and lost my last one in OT when my controller died.

I actually hate it when people are goalies when I play online. As good as you might be, you're not as good as a computer.

I'm gonna get an xbox sooner than later so I'll be in for some NHL for sure.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Yeah....the avatar thing was pretty lame, what are they trying to be like WII? I like the chat ideas though (havent tried it yet)
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Senior Member All-Star gogoayane's Avatar
    well it's suppose to lead up to other features later on... i.e. you'll see your avatar in some games as pedestrian or side character (how about killing urself in GTAIV)..

I like that party mode feature... i don't know why they would alot a group to talk in a room before... so this makes more sense

anyone playing COD5 btw?

"Believe in the ideal, not the Idol" -

Quote Originally Posted by gogoayane View Post
    anyone playing COD5 btw?
    I'm wondering the same thing. I am thinking about picking up a new game. It'll probably be NCAA Basketball 09 but not sure.

Does anyone stream Netflix to their Xbox 360?
    I'm sorry that you interpreted my incredibly funny joke as horribly offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoayane View Post
    well it's suppose to lead up to other features later on... i.e. you'll see your avatar in some games as pedestrian or side character (how about killing urself in GTAIV)..

I like that party mode feature... i don't know why they would alot a group to talk in a room before... so this makes more sense

anyone playing COD5 btw?
    I like the avatar thing if it's going to result in me not having to build a character every time I play a new game.

I got COD4 and hated that 2 people couldn't play online together on the same console. Thought that was really stupid. If COD5 allows it, I'll get it, though I prefer sports games and less-intense FPS like Halo.

Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. I am thinking about picking up a new game. It'll probably be NCAA Basketball 09 but not sure.
    NCAA over NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Does anyone stream Netflix to their Xbox 360?
    I just found out you could do it. But if you network your 360 to your computer, you could stream just as easily. I think I'll buy a movie just to see what it's all about, unless someone does it first.

Quote Originally Posted by kamranish View Post
    I just found out you could do it. But if you network your 360 to your computer, you could stream just as easily. I think I'll buy a movie just to see what it's all about, unless someone does it first.
    I don't run Windows, so that's not true for me.

I don't run Windows, so that's not true for me.
    I looked around out of curiosity and there are a couple of ways to stream to the 360 using Linux.

You could install Media Center in VMware, that seemed like a functional but unpopular move.

There's also this guide, but I didn't understand it: http://vanvalkinburgh.org/blog/612

Well, when I say I don't run Windows, I mean I don't run it virtually, either.

And either way, I don't have the computer hooked up to the Xbox, and the latest firmware supports streaming directly, I believe. I just was curious if anyone had tried it that way. But thanks anyway.

Well, when I say I don't run Windows, I mean I don't run it virtually, either.

And either way, I don't have the computer hooked up to the Xbox, and the latest firmware supports streaming directly, I believe. I just was curious if anyone had tried it that way. But thanks anyway.
    Oh, got it.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    kamranish;

NCAA over NBA?

Oh yeah, it's so much better, IMO anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Oh yeah, it's so much better, IMO anyways.
    Agreed.

I rented NCAA 09, pretty solid. We played 2 on 2 and my buddy and I weren't very good but we still had fun. I think there is catch up logic though, because no big lead ever held.

Anyway, cool feature on the 360 is you can now burn games to the hard drive so they have much faster load times.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    I rented NCAA 09, pretty solid. We played 2 on 2 and my buddy and I weren't very good but we still had fun. I think there is catch up logic though, because no big lead ever held.

Anyway, cool feature on the 360 is you can now burn games to the hard drive so they have much faster load times.
    You still need to use the game CD though I guess.

Yeah, but still.

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    yeah, obviously they can't put the entire game on the harddrive and allow you to not use the disk. It just sounds illogical, of course it won't work like that. But reduced load times is still significant, thats awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    yeah, obviously they can't put the entire game on the harddrive and allow you to not use the disk. It just sounds illogical, of course it won't work like that. But reduced load times is still significant, thats awesome.
    On top of that, the criticism of the console's noisiness (one I held myself) is now no longer an issue, as it runs quietly off the hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Figured that but stranger things have happened.

Playing games off the hard drive is amazing. Practically no load times for NHL 09 except mandatory cut scenes they make you watch. I really hate watching Phaneuf skate up and slap the puck every time.

Senior Member First Liner
    Anyone play on XBL here? I have an account but never use it. I'm thinking of giving it a whirl, especially with Gears of War 2.

I have XBL. So does dawinna and a couple others on here. I haven't actually played with any of them but I know they have it. My game list is:

NHL 09
    Call of Duty 4
    Halo 3
    Pro Evolution Soccer (which sucks online because of lag)

Call of Duty 5 is unreal. Gears of War 2 is good too, into both these now.

Senior Member All-Star gogoayane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Call of Duty 5 is unreal. Gears of War 2 is good too, into both these now.
    I haven't play GOW2 yet (not really a big fan of the 1st one... but will try GOW2 when i can get it cheaper) but COD:WW is pretty good... right now i'm doing the Zombie run with a few buddies... can't seem to get past lvl 15 haha

phaneuf - do I have you on XBL? I'll send you an invite for COD if I see you..

"Believe in the ideal, not the Idol" -

Yeah COD5 is fucking SICK! I've been doing the Zombies too.. fun as shit.. I love the whole game.

How does the online gameplay improve from COD 4 to 5?

Senior Member All-Star
    How does the online gameplay improve from COD 4 to 5?
    The actual physics are pretty much the same (running speed, aiming, etc). There are two new modes, War (a territories game) and CTF which are both a lot of fun. They've changed a few things like now your dogs (the equivalent of a helicopter in COD4) can extend your kill streak even after you die (in COD4, if you called in a chopper, then died, when you respawn the chopper kills wouldn't count towards your streak of getting a UAV, airstrike and another chopper). There a lot more challenges now, which makes leveling up a lot more fun. There's some pretty cool new perks too, like one that resets the timer on grenades (which makes avoiding martyrdom easier for one), and second-chance (last stand) now allows you to be revived if someone else on your team has second-chance as well. But I think the best part is how even the maps are. The maps in COD4 were really unbalaced, but I like the maps a lot more in COD5 (there are only two that I automatically vote to skip). Plus there's a lot more small maps which are great on a lot of different gametypes; makes things really exciting. Plus going prestige now actually gives you a bonus of extra custom slots for more weapons

Thanks for the breakdown. I'm glad they got rid of the Chopper, that thing was annoying. So if someone revives you does the other player not get credited with a kill?

Thread Information