Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2035
    Anyone seen Love and Mercy or Mad Max?

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Mad Max is by far the best movie of the year so far. To adrenaline junkies, it could one of the best movies ever. Leaves you breathless.
    Last edited by Kyle; 06-30-2015 at 09:12 PM.

So I've heard many different reviews on Star Wars from a huge flop to second best Star Wars movie ever behind Empire. I can't wait until next Saturday to go see it so I can see for myself. Anyone see it yet and have thoughts? No spoilers please!!

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy78 View Post
    So I've heard many different reviews on Star Wars from a huge flop to second best Star Wars movie ever behind Empire. I can't wait until next Saturday to go see it so I can see for myself. Anyone see it yet and have thoughts? No spoilers please!!
    Haven't seen it yet. Maybe over Christmas. So far I haven't heard a friend say they didn't like it, though only 1 day sample size right now, obviously.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

I have tickets to see it on Tuesday at an IMAX theatre...true IMAX theatre

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    My wife loves that shit and is going tomorrow at noon. I'll see what she says.

Who do you get your input from? Lol At least 90/100 people have nothing but great things to say about it, and even moreso in the film critic community. It's one of the most highly regarded movies in the last decade.

Got my Imax ticket sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    I have tickets to see it on Tuesday at an IMAX theatre...true IMAX theatre

Only the truest Henry Ford Imax Dearborn, the best it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Who do you get your input from? Lol At least 90/100 people have nothing but great things to say about it, and even moreso in the film critic community. It's one of the most highly regarded movies in the last decade.

Got my Imax ticket sunday!
    Well for starters my best friend saw it (and he's the biggest Star Wars fan I know) and said it was ok to start and got dull and predictable as it went on. Then while looking online at professional critics it was about a 50/50 split for either 5 star or 1 star reviews.

Well for starters my best friend saw it (and he's the biggest Star Wars fan I know) and said it was ok to start and got dull and predictable as it went on. Then while looking online at professional critics it was about a 50/50 split for either 5 star or 1 star reviews.
    For what it's worth, it's running at 95% on RT right now.
    Curse of the Hamster

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    My wife just got home and said that she loved it.

Yes I'm hearing more and more from friends that it's a really good movie. It makes me a lot happier to hear this as I really want this to be a great trilogy after what we went through last time.

This just isn't true man. It's scores are outrageously high on any website tracking professional scores. 95% Rotten Tomatoes, 81 Metacritic (Which is absurdly good for a big-budget blockbuster. Avengers 1 got only a 69). I'm not doubting what you see, but that's clearly a sample size issue. The critic community nearly unanimously agrees this movie is great, moreso than most movies over the last many years.

Pretty much anyone who doesn't like the movie tends to fall under the "Nothing will ever be as good as the original 3 and fuck you for trying" category. I haven't read one objective negative review.

I agree my sample size was small as I only read about 8-10 reviews and stopped so that I wouldn't read any spoilers by accident. But as I stated I found some that said it was amazing and some that said it was a flop. Then my best friend sees it on Thursday night and says it was ok so I believed the flop reviews. Granted he (along with my brother) are two of the harshest critics I know so I do only take what they (and others for the most part) say with a grain of salt. I didn't hate the last three movies like some others did I actually think an awful Star Wars movie is still better than most other good movies.

I'm with you man. I'm such a harsh Star Wars critic that I tend to lean more on the 8.0 reviews from hardcore Starwars fans than the 10/10 reviews from others. Still, very positive overall

It was really good imo 9.5/10

I think I could ask you 10 harsh questions about the movie that would make you rethink a score as high as 9.5 but I agree. very strong movie. I think people are grossly overrating it, though. More like an 8/10 for me, it's just a solid hollywood blockbuster but I guess the prequels set the bar so low people will have to make a huge deal out of a newer Star Wars movie that's actually made with common movie wisdom in mind.

To compare, it's nowhere near as good as either of Disney's Star Trek movies, if only because Kylo Ren is an emo douche bag and quite possibly the worst villain ever introduced in a Star Wars movie. I can't get over what a terrible character he is and I'm glad the internet immediately erupted in mock twitter accounts devoted to what a joke he is. The prequels sucked but Darth Maul/Dooku were amazing characters, Emperor Palpatine was well done, and even General Grievous at least seemed like a badass. Villains are central to Star Wars and this guy we have to follow for this trilogy is just utterly disappointing. Here's to hoping they respond to the widespread criticism of his character and make him a totally ruthless badass in the next flick, preferably with more of his mask ON because it goes downhill when he takes it off.
    Last edited by Kyle; 12-25-2015 at 11:52 PM.

The Star Trek movie sucked so bad! The previews for the next one look absolutely horrible they need to just stop. The are ruining Star Trek.

And Kylo Ren seems bad ass. I've heard from people that he's a great villain. Finally going to see it tomorrow so we shall see. He can't be any worse than General Grievous.

Realistically, calling it better/worse than Star Trek is silly because it's made the exact same way: A big budget movie that totally conforms to Hollywood in a universe we love. They feel similar. If you didn't already know, you might guess the same studio was given both franchises to reboot. But the villains in the Star Trek movies are awesome, especially Khan, and that to me is the biggest difference.

ultimately, they're both just big budget Hollywood blockbusters set in familiar universes, and in no way unique, ground-breaking movies like the older Star Wars/Treks.

Not sure how anyone you talked to considers that long-hair emo douche bag a badass, but to each their own.

The Star Trek movie sucked so bad! The previews for the next one look absolutely horrible they need to just stop. The are ruining Star Trek.
    Ruining your vision of Star Trek, sure, but two movies scoring 95% and 87% on rotten tomatoes can't possibly be construed as "ruining" a franchise. That means 90% of the film viewing community loves both movies - you simply can't spin that negatively.

I don't think Star Wars is the 9.5/10 that people are claiming, but I do like it a lot. I would never say its a bad movie like you just said about Star Trek. Not sure how you think that unless you're just that 5-15% that routinely finds Hollywood action blockbusters a bit too formulaic and predictable. That said, you should absolutely think the same of Star Wars if that's the case, as the new movie is excessively formulaic and extremely predictable.
    Last edited by Kyle; 12-26-2015 at 12:20 AM.

Saw Star Wars tonight. It was good but not outstanding. I would give it a 7 out of 10 and rank it as probably the third best Star Wars movie behind Empire and New Hope. It felt like a remake of New Hope in many ways. Very nostalgic which was great. A much better first movie than Phantom and it seems set up for a great next movie.

Kyle, at first I thought you were way off on Kylo Ren as his voice (with mask on) is pretty badass but as the movie went along I couldn't help but keep thinking of what you posted that he is a long haired emo douchebag! Hahaha I still think he could turn out to be a really cool villian if they change his ways a little and make him more badass (i.e. Vader like).

I also finally saw it tonight.

There were a lot of good elements and overall, I liked it. I do feel like it's getting pretty overrated. There were a bit too many parallels to A New Hope. At some point, you just feel way too much deja vu if you're a fan of Ep IV. Kylo Ren doesn't have the same gravitas as Vader, though I do see a lot of potential in the character. The final shot of the movie seemed really awkward, too. Like, it lasted way too long or something -- the shot that is, not the movie.

The rest of my criticisms and most of my accolades are too spoilery for me to put out there. I did like the movie, though, and think it represents a good start to a new trilogy (or however many films Disney can milk it for). It felt very much like a "passing of the torch" film, both for the characters in the film and for the audience. It did leave me wanting to see more.

I put it solidly behind all three of the original trilogy (and Guardians of the Galaxy) and solidly ahead of the prequels. If I had to give it a letter grade, I'd say a C+ after one viewing. Subsequent viewings could alter it, potentially -- especially after the rest of the story is known.
    Last edited by Hamsterkill; 12-26-2015 at 11:49 PM.
    Curse of the Hamster

Nice to hear similar thoughts from other big fans of the original movies. Especially the way they kept trying to draw parallels to episode 4.

Deadpool was a more satisfying movie for me than Star Wars 7 was.
    Curse of the Hamster

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post
    Deadpool was a more satisfying movie for me than Star Wars 7 was.
    Wow. That's awesome to hear. I hope to see it soon, possibly this week.

Deadpool was one the greatest movies I've ever seen! You need to see it ASAP!!

Batman vs Superman was good but not great. First half of the movie the storyline is all over the place but the second half of the movie (especially the end) it gets better. I'm giving it a C+ and hope that the Justice League movie is a lot better than this one.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    If you want some good silly laughs check out Get Hard.
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Gotta disagree with both of the above two.

Firstly, Get Hard is an abomination as far as I'm concerned, a racist movie packed start-to-finish with insulting, generic anti-black stereotypes that movies haven't abused quite so shamelessly since the start of the 21st century. Which is basically a summary of any Kevin Hart movie.

Batman vs Superman might be even worse considering the investment placed in it. It's one of the most poorly written movies of all time, especially in the 200m+ budget range. The dialogue is so astoundingly shitty you might not make it to the decent second half of the movie where they finally shut the fuck up and let the special effects carry the movie. Affleck is a decent batman but a garbage Bruce Wayne.

This entire project is so far out of Zac Snyder's league, it would be a complete and utter embarrassment if they gave him a 3rd chance with it in the next movie. He's a niche director who has no talent outside of simple adrenaline films like 300 or Dawn of the Dead. At times during BvS, it felt like I was watching 300. The movie takes itself too seriously without properly setting up the context/atmosphere necessary to drive intense scenes home. It tries to be the Dark Knight but doesn't come within the remote vicinity.

The action is good, if not great. But the movie is bad, if not shit.

Batman vs Superman - 4/10, only even gets a 4 because the action is not only very good, but drags so long it almost makes you forget the shitty plot/dialogue. I was leaning on 2 or 3 halfway through the movie.

Get Hard - 1/10. You simply can't stomach this movie unless you have an astoundingly high appreciation for the simplest black stereotype jokes we've heard since the 90's. It's like A Tyler Perry movie made without the slightest bit of tact or sensitivity.
    Last edited by Kyle; 04-03-2016 at 12:43 AM.

Speaking of bad Will Ferrel movies, Daddy's Home was dogshit as well. Just a nonsense string of "tough guy vs nerdy guy" stereotypes. The state of comedy movies is abhorrent atm. Judd Apatow fell off the face of the Earth after Bridesmaids (with the exception of Trainwreck which was okay) and no one seems to have any interest in taking over. The Seth Rogan/James Franco fad faded quick. Will Ferrel/Ben Stiller are old and simply not funny in movies anymore. Comedies are in a seriously rough state of transition atm.
    Last edited by Kyle; 04-02-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Thread Information