Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Not really a movie per say but has anybody else watched the Planet Earth DVD documentary? Highly recommended for anybody interested in the planet and everything living on it.
    It's awesome, especially in HD. The visuals are insane. It's awesome regardless, but if you can see it on BluRay, or in HD on your comp, it's insanely good. My bro got the HD version online for me and I watched it on my imac... looks absolutely sick. Now I'm trying to find it on BluRay so I can watch it - and Blue Planet - on my big screen. Was hoping I'd get both sets on BluRay for xmas, but it didn't happen.

I can see what Kam is saying - David Attenborough's (sp?) voice has that put-you-to-sleep quality to it (or whoever it is that does the narration), and there isn't a lot of 'action' to get excited about, but it IS a documentary series, and it's pretty awesome if you're into that stuff. All the BBC nature docs are pretty amazing. I'm just starting in on the Blue Planet series now (on DVD unfortunately, borrowed it from the FIL, and he only has the DVD version), and it's as good as Planet Earth so far, other than the fact that I couldn't get it in HD... booo.

I'd highly recommend the Planet Earth and Blue Planet series to anybody, even if you're not normally into docs, and even if you can't see it in HD. They're pretty cool IMO.

Ploughing since 1985 All-Star Farmerbob42's Avatar
    hopefully with the wrestler's succes they'll finally release Killshot http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443559/ I've wanted to see the money since the preview on the Lucky number slevin dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbob42 View Post
    hopefully with the wrestler's succes they'll finally release Killshot http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443559/ I've wanted to see the money since the preview on the Lucky number slevin dvd.
    They are..in the link you posted it says it will be out late this month.

Line Combo Guru All-Star nyrblue2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    It's awesome, especially in HD. The visuals are insane. It's awesome regardless, but if you can see it on BluRay, or in HD on your comp, it's insanely good. My bro got the HD version online for me and I watched it on my imac... looks absolutely sick. Now I'm trying to find it on BluRay so I can watch it - and Blue Planet - on my big screen. Was hoping I'd get both sets on BluRay for xmas, but it didn't happen.

I can see what Kam is saying - David Attenborough's (sp?) voice has that put-you-to-sleep quality to it (or whoever it is that does the narration), and there isn't a lot of 'action' to get excited about, but it IS a documentary series, and it's pretty awesome if you're into that stuff. All the BBC nature docs are pretty amazing. I'm just starting in on the Blue Planet series now (on DVD unfortunately, borrowed it from the FIL, and he only has the DVD version), and it's as good as Planet Earth so far, other than the fact that I couldn't get it in HD... booo.

I'd highly recommend the Planet Earth and Blue Planet series to anybody, even if you're not normally into docs, and even if you can't see it in HD. They're pretty cool IMO.
    Ditto. I've seen all the Planet Earth episodes and it's awesome. But for those who don't like Discovery Channel, Science Channel, TLC, NatGeo, etc., it may not be for you.

BTW - the American version (TV only - I think the DVD is the male narrator) was "re-narrated" by Sigourney Weaver.

Quote Originally Posted by nyrblue2 View Post
    Ditto. I've seen all the Planet Earth episodes and it's awesome. But for those who don't like Discovery Channel, Science Channel, TLC, NatGeo, etc., it may not be for you.

BTW - the American version (TV only - I think the DVD is the male narrator) was "re-narrated" by Sigourney Weaver.
    Her voice annoys me greatly...2 hrs of her narrating would suck giant testicles.

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    They are..in the link you posted it says it will be out late this month.
    o nice, didnt even read it, so used to it not coming out

And i cant wait for Inglorious Bastards. WWII and tarintino hah, should be interesting

Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbob42 View Post
    o nice, didnt even read it, so used to it not coming out

And i cant wait for Inglorious Bastards. WWII and tarintino hah, should be interesting
    I've read the script for it. Script wise it's the best thing he's written since Pulp Fiction. It's an amazing script.

Catching up on some older movies. Which is better Blood Diamond or Flags of our Fathers?

3rd Line Grinder All-Star jelmhirst12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Catching up on some older movies. Which is better Blood Diamond or Flags of our Fathers?
    Blood Diamond hands down. I thought it was a very well executed movie.
    12 Roto - Non-keeper - G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG ... W, GAA, S%, SO

C- M. Koivu, Fisher
    LW - Ovechkin, Brunette
    RW - Dumont, Gionta
    W- Okposo
    F- Weiss
    D - Lidstrom, Keith, Campbell, Suter
    Bench - Myers, Sturm, C. Stewart
    G - Huet, Turco
    B- Ward
    IR - DiPietro

Quote Originally Posted by jelmhirst12 View Post
    Blood Diamond hands down. I thought it was a very well executed movie.
    Okay, let's play point counter point then, because I disagree, sort of.

If you just want those 2 movies, then ya, Blood Diamond is better than Flags of Our Fathers.

HOWEVER...if you watch Flags of Our Fathers as it was intended, with it's "sister" movie, "Letters from Iwo Jima", then hands down it's the 2 movies.

Flags of Our Fathers was decent enough, deffinitely a good movie. But Letters from Iwo Jima was in my opinion the best movie of 2006. I actually want to go one step further and say Letters From Iwo Jima may be one of the best things Clint Eastwood ever gave us.

Flags of Our Fathers was a fairly standard wartime epic. Letters from Iwo Jima was the flip of the script. Instead of the Americans as heroes, it shows the Japanese side of the war. All in Japanese, all Japanese actors, and some absolutely fantastic, powerful images that no film maker has really ever had the guts to show. It's easy to wave a flag and show American patriots in war...and show the opposition as villains. It's ballsy to show them as human beings too. It's ballsy to show the Japanese people standing off in the distance watching the flag be planted in that iconic shot of American patriotism, and see the Japenese soldiers who were defeated sitting below crying and have it presented as a moment you're supposed to feel sorry for them in.

Blood Diamond was great also...but really, Letters From Iwo Jima I thought was just fucking fantastic. I recommend Flags/Letters over Blood Diamond.

Thanks guys, Blood Diamond was fantastic. Leo is becoming one of my favorite actors.

I did see Letters and loved it, just never caught Flags. With little kids I just never have time for movies, sorry for being three years behind.

Elixir of the Mongoose First Liner Dexter's Avatar
    if you like sci-fi, techno-jargon and don't need your hand to be held while you follow the plot...

then check out "Primer". it's low-budget (sub-$7000) but I found it fantastic.

"PRIMER is set in the industrial park/suburban tract-home fringes of an unnamed contemporary city where two young engineers, Abe and Aaron, are members of a small group of men who work by day for a large corporation while conducting extracurricular experiments on their own time in a garage. While tweaking their current project, a device that reduces the apparent mass of any object placed inside it by blocking gravitational pull, they accidentally discover that it has some highly unexpected capabilities--ones that could enable them to do and to have seemingly anything they want. Taking advantage of this unique opportunity is the first challenge they face. Dealing with the consequences is the next."

Yahoo! Hockey 12-Team H2H Auction League 7:4 (G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, GWG, W, SV%, GAA, SO)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 3BN, 1IR
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeh that movie is sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Blood Diamond...I was disappointed by Flags tbh...the Japanese perspective one was better in my opinion

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    I don't know why I keep watching the new Saws expecting the writers to learn their lesson... sigh...
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Slumdog Millionaire goes home huge from the Golden Globes tonight winning
    Best Motion Picture

Best Director

Best Screenplay

Best Original Score

Quote Originally Posted by HABS_FrEaK View Post
    I don't know if this is true but I heard somewhere that all Bollywood movies end with a dance number like the one in Slumdog...no matter how serious the movie may be.

Also I wouldn't call it a sleeper, there's HUGE hype around it
    Maybe you wouldn't, but all the shows are calling it that and nobody expected it to 1) do so well at the box office and 2) win so many rewards (see below)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Slumdog Millionaire goes home huge from the Golden Globes tonight winning
    Best Motion Picture

Best Director

Best Screenplay

Best Original Score

Senior Member All-Star HABS_FrEaK's Avatar
    Maybe you wouldn't, but all the shows are calling it that and nobody expected it to 1) do so well at the box office and 2) win so many rewards (see below)
    I guess it depends on what your definition of a sleeper is...its at the top of all the critics lists for best movie of 08 and with a score of 94% on RT it's hardly a sleeper.

I fully expected it to win best picture and would have been VERY surprised if it didn't...and I'm not saying that because I personally think it should win (not that I don't either) but with all the buzz its getting it was an obvious favorite to win.

Also if you compare it with the other nominees none of them have gotten anywhere near as much hype as Slumdog. In fact the only other nominee that even comes close review wise is Frost/Nixon but it didn't get no where near as much hype

To me the big story of these golden globes is Kate Winslet winning both best Actress AND best supporting actress! Now that is really impressive. Especially considering that despite the fact she is an amazing actress and had been nominated many times for both the Oscars and The Globes she had never won.

Other highlights of the show were Tina Fey calling out internet msg board posters that called her out saying she shouldnt win, I thought that was pretty funny. Also I looked it up and the users she mentions are actual users that post on a golden globe msg board. And the funniest part of the show to me was easilly Rainn Wilson AKA Dwight Schrute coming on with some girl from Gosip Girl to present an award and say "Hi we're TV actors" ...may not seem funny reading it but in the momment it was hilarious lol
    ________
    HONDA RC110
    Last edited by HABS_FrEaK; 05-13-2011 at 03:18 AM.

Anyone seen Gran Torino? It looks tres rock & roll.

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Anyone seen Gran Torino? It looks tres rock & roll.
    It's very good, Eastwood is amazing. The one problem I had with it is that Eastwood used a lot of actors with little to no experience and it really showed in some scenes. Especially when you compare them to Eastwood in the same scene. I would definitely recommend it though.
    ________
    Mexicocity hotel
    Last edited by HABS_FrEaK; 05-13-2011 at 03:18 AM.

I guess it depends on what your definition of a sleeper is...its at the top of all the critics lists for best movie of 08 and with a score of 94% on RT it's hardly a sleeper.

I fully expected it to win best picture and would have been VERY surprised if it didn't...and I'm not saying that because I personally think it should win (not that I don't either) but with all the buzz its getting it was an obvious favorite to win.

Also if you compare it with the other nominees none of them have gotten anywhere near as much hype as Slumdog. In fact the only other nominee that even comes close review wise is Frost/Nixon but it didn't get no where near as much hype

To me the big story of these golden globes is Kate Winslet winning both best Actress AND best supporting actress! Now that is really impressive. Especially considering that despite the fact she is an amazing actress and had been nominated many times for both the Oscars and The Globes she had never won.

Other highlights of the show were Tina Fey calling out internet msg board posters that called her out saying she shouldnt win, I thought that was pretty funny. Also I looked it up and the users she mentions are actual users that post on a golden globe msg board. And the funniest part of the show to me was easilly Rainn Wilson AKA Dwight Schrute coming on with some girl from Gosip Girl to present an award and say "Hi we're TV actors" ...may not seem funny reading it but in the momment it was hilarious lol
    I guess it does depend on the definition. I'm saying it's a sleeper because nobody thought it would do this good INCLUDING the guys that made it. They even stated that on the Golden Globes. Plus, there was no hype concerning this film until it was viewed by the critics and the general public.

I guess it does depend on the definition. I'm saying it's a sleeper because nobody thought it would do this good INCLUDING the guys that made it. They even stated that on the Golden Globes. Plus, there was no hype concerning this film until it was viewed by the critics and the general public.
    Well I guess it's a sleeper in that way but what I'm saying is that it wasn't a sleeper going into the Golden Globes yesterday
    ________
    Body science
    Last edited by HABS_FrEaK; 05-13-2011 at 03:19 AM.

Well I guess it's a sleeper in that way but what I'm saying is that it wasn't a sleeper going into the Golden Globes yesterday
    Oh hell no. I mentioned it as a sleeper before the Golden Globes, but even then it was receiving hype.

Talk To Me -- a story about Ralph Waldo "Petey" Greene, Jr, a radio DJ and advocate in the 1960's and 70's. I happened to catch this on HBO the other day, very well done movie. Don Cheadle does an amazing job conveying the emotions of the late 1960's and the pressure of his success.

Most certainly worth putting in your Netflix queue or DVRing it from HBO.

I'd give it a 4 out of 5.
    I'm sorry that you interpreted my incredibly funny joke as horribly offensive.

MalkovichMalkovichMalk... All-Star Andrew1125's Avatar
    Does anybody have expectations for Angels & Demons? I know it's months away, but that was a fantastic book. I thought the film version of Davinci Code sucked though so I'm not sure if I should be getting my hopes up for this one.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Went and saw Mall Cop last night, it was ok, no bad, but also not great, had it's funny and corney parts to it.
    Last edited by two24four; 02-03-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1125 View Post
    Does anybody have expectations for Angels & Demons? I know it's months away, but that was a fantastic book. I thought the film version of Davinci Code sucked though so I'm not sure if I should be getting my hopes up for this one.
    It is written by Akiva Goldsman which is a really bad sign.

For those who don't know, Akiva Goldsman is the highest paid script writer anywhere in the world...and his film reel is nothing but absolutely disasterous abominations of movies coupled with a few brilliant movies.

The brilliant ones he wrote : Cinderella Man and A Beautiful Mind.

On the flip side, when he is bad, he is really, really, really fucking bad : Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, I, Robot, I Am Legend, The Da Vinci Code, as well as producing Constantine and Mindhunters(one of the worst movies ever).

I'd like to hope because Angels and Demons is a brilliant book, but given Akiva's resume, I have very, very little hope.

Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    On the flip side, when he is bad, he is really, really, really fucking bad : Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, I, Robot, I Am Legend, The Da Vinci Code, as well as producing Constantine and Mindhunters(one of the worst movies ever).
    wow - I wouldn't put I, Robot or I Am Legend on my all-time faves list, but I also don't think they're nearly as terrible as "really, really, really fucking bad"

Quote Originally Posted by ih8music View Post
    wow - I wouldn't put I, Robot or I Am Legend on my all-time faves list, but I also don't think they're nearly as terrible as "really, really, really fucking bad"
    Ditto here. Easy Cayuga.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    I actually didn't mind Constantine either.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Thread Information