Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Hall of Famer
    So I saw Avatar...First and foremost, its a really good movie. Pandora is the most beautiful, breathtaking world ever captured on camera by leaps and bounds, just amazing.

The plot has it's ups and downs. I'd say up more often than down but it has weak moments. The antagonist specifically is one of the plot's lowpoints, but outside of that most of the characters are very interesting and well acted. The story itself can seem really simple if you chose to simplify it like a pessimist but its the multitude of finer details the movie offers about the world and its people(That might not be directly related to the main story) that really sets it above par.

Visually there is nothing to say that hasn't been said 100 times. Its as good as you've read and more. You just have to see it.

The dialogue is very solid, you respect the time spent making the Omanticara (?) a legitimate culture, and while the plot doesn't carry the movie, it more than keeps you interested enough for the 2 1/2 hours to go by in a flash.

Its a fantastic movie that I suggest to anybody but the most diehard pessimists who absolutely have to stimulate themselves intellectually while they watch a movie or consider it "hollywood nonsense." Those types might find little to offer here but everyone else should have a blast.
    Last edited by Kyle; 12-28-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Senior Member All-Star abusiveninja's Avatar
    The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard

hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    So I saw Avatar...First and foremost, its a really good movie. Pandora is the most beautiful, breathtaking world ever captured on camera by leaps and bounds, just amazing.

The plot has it's ups and downs. I'd say up more often than down but it has weak moments. The antagonist specifically is one of the plot's lowpoints, but outside of that most of the characters are very interesting and well acted. The story itself can seem really simple if you chose to simplify it like a pessimist but its the multitude of finer details the movie offers about the world and its people(That might not be directly related to the main story) that really sets it above par.

Visually there is nothing to say that hasn't been said 100 times. Its as good as you've read and more. You just have to see it.

The dialogue is very solid, you respect the time spent making the Omanticara (?) a legitimate culture, and while the plot doesn't carry the movie, it more than keeps you interested enough for the 2 1/2 hours to go by in a flash.

Its a fantastic movie that I suggest to anybody but the most diehard pessimists who absolutely have to stimulate themselves intellectually while they watch a movie or consider it "hollywood nonsense." Those types might find little to offer here but everyone else should have a blast.
    Did you see it in 3-D?

Anybody see it in IMAX?

Quote Originally Posted by abusiveninja View Post
    The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard

hahahahaha
    Disappointing! They show the best stuff on the trailer.

Line Combo Guru All-Star nyrblue2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS View Post
    Did you see it in 3-D?

Anybody see it in IMAX?
    I'm going to see it in IMAX 3D tonight.

A bunch of my friends want to go, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother seeing it.

I saw it in IMAX 3D. Really cool but i got a headache about halfway through. You cant take the glasses off either, that will just make the headache worse

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Quote Originally Posted by nyrblue2 View Post
    I'm going to see it in IMAX 3D tonight.

A bunch of my friends want to go, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother seeing it.
    Let me know how it goes!

I guess my buddies want to go out of town because there's no IMAXs here. I wouldn't mind just seeing it in 3-D unless it's SO much better in IMAX.

Line Combo Guru All-Star nyrblue2's Avatar
    Let me know how it goes!

I guess my buddies want to go out of town because there's no IMAXs here. I wouldn't mind just seeing it in 3-D unless it's SO much better in IMAX.
    I'm pretty much with the general crowd here - the plot was nothing spectacular, but the visuals were incredible.

That being said, I think the reason that this plot has worked a few times (Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, etc.) is because people enjoy it. While it was somewhat "familiar", I certainly wasn't turned off by the themes, dialogue, acting, etc. If anything, it was cool to have a futuristic representation, rather than an "early American" backdrop. Also, the customs/culture/details specific to the "giant blue monkeys" (I had to laugh at that when they said it in the movie) were fairly unique.

Anyway, yea, the visuals were pretty sweet. Obviously, their world is extremely different than Earth, but it's not outside the realm of possibility to imagine it. Many parts draw on truths/features of the science of Earth, but they are either just utilized differently or taken to extremes. There are a couple aspects of their world that just flat-out don't make any physcial sense (even though it's a foreign world, the other physical contraints shown to be existent make certain things ridiculous), so you do have to suspend disbelief more than normal for those, but they're not distracting or anything.

The IMAX 3D part was pretty cool. Obviously, I can't compare it to non-IMAX or non-3D, but I think the 3D part would be more "critical" to the experience than the IMAX part. It would probably still be pretty awesome in regular 3D, but after seeing it in 3D, I feel people seeing it in 2D are missing a great aspect. To have some of the unique aspects of their world jump out of the screen was cool because you'll never see them in 3D anywhere on Earth. Yea, the glasses are annoying, but I was fine. You literally can't watch it without the glasses (it's all blurry), so if you go to the 3D, be prepared to keep them on the whole time. You also can't really turn or lean your head to the side - you have to keep the glasses in the right orientation for the 3D to work.

Senior Member All-Star Chilly_Willy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pjm View Post
    I saw it in IMAX 3D. Really cool but i got a headache about halfway through. You cant take the glasses off either, that will just make the headache worse
    I am glad I'm not the only one. I saw polar express IMAX 3d a few years ago and it gave both me and my wife a migrane for 2 days. I have never went back to another one.

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Then I won't see it in Imax, I'm very prone to those types of headaches (I can't play PC games because 60+ mins in and my eyes begin pulsing and then an unbearable headache is soon behind, something about the UV light from the screen) and I'm sure my eyes couldn't handle it.

Senior Member All-Star Chilly_Willy's Avatar
    If its just plain IMAX I've not had a problem, I have also never had a problem with old school 3d with the goofy paper glasses, but something about IMAX 3D took me out hard.

Can't wait to see AVATAR!

Go see Up In The Air people. What I believe to be George Clooney's best performance to date fits him perfectly and is a very deep movie. I really enjoyed it enough to recommend it.

Senior Member All-Star HABS_FrEaK's Avatar
    Go see Up In The Air people. What I believe to be George Clooney's best performance to date fits him perfectly and is a very deep movie. I really enjoyed it enough to recommend it.

Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrblue2 View Post
    I'm pretty much with the general crowd here - the plot was nothing spectacular, but the visuals were incredible.

That being said, I think the reason that this plot has worked a few times (Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, etc.) is because people enjoy it. While it was somewhat "familiar", I certainly wasn't turned off by the themes, dialogue, acting, etc. If anything, it was cool to have a futuristic representation, rather than an "early American" backdrop. Also, the customs/culture/details specific to the "giant blue monkeys" (I had to laugh at that when they said it in the movie) were fairly unique.

Anyway, yea, the visuals were pretty sweet. Obviously, their world is extremely different than Earth, but it's not outside the realm of possibility to imagine it. Many parts draw on truths/features of the science of Earth, but they are either just utilized differently or taken to extremes. There are a couple aspects of their world that just flat-out don't make any physcial sense (even though it's a foreign world, the other physical contraints shown to be existent make certain things ridiculous), so you do have to suspend disbelief more than normal for those, but they're not distracting or anything.

The IMAX 3D part was pretty cool. Obviously, I can't compare it to non-IMAX or non-3D, but I think the 3D part would be more "critical" to the experience than the IMAX part. It would probably still be pretty awesome in regular 3D, but after seeing it in 3D, I feel people seeing it in 2D are missing a great aspect. To have some of the unique aspects of their world jump out of the screen was cool because you'll never see them in 3D anywhere on Earth. Yea, the glasses are annoying, but I was fine. You literally can't watch it without the glasses (it's all blurry), so if you go to the 3D, be prepared to keep them on the whole time. You also can't really turn or lean your head to the side - you have to keep the glasses in the right orientation for the 3D to work.
    Well said, the complaints people had about Avatar going into it were like nails on a chalk board to me. When was the last time anyone alive has seen a truly original movie? Basically everything has been breached in some capacity at some time prior in the history of film.

And it's not like James Cameron was hyping it as a truly original movie. He said he borrowed inspiration and themes from different movies and put a different spin on it. Just like the hype that came out around a week after it debuted where people were so shocked to learn that Avatar had "hidden themes of environmentalism and anti-war and blah blah blah" it made the front page of Yahoo. Again, Cameron had been saying that in interviews the whole time.

Just because the script wasn't some truly groundbreaking thing doesn't make it a bad script. It was fine, there were a few moments that were cheesy(***SPOILERS***)("un-obtanium" and the mech pulling a knife at the end), but the movie looked so goddamn fantastic in IMAX 3D, and the acting performances all worked for me, and the script was well done if not entirely original.

Side note, I've had this debate with a few film geek friends of mine and we have a few of us on each side...I said I think Zoe Saldana should recieve an Oscar nod for her performance in the movie. She never actually appears on screen, but her Naytiri is the key to that entire movie, and Saldana's performance was so pitch-perfectly primal(the growls and hisses) that it was really a staggering peice of work. I'm not saying she should win, but she does deserve to get nominated. It's been a pretty shitty year for actresses(when we're talking about Sandra Bullock in Blindside as a nominee), and nothing really stands out to me as much as Saldana's work in Avatar.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    The movie 'Primer' is a damn mindfuck. But an enjoyable one!
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Just saw Avatar, and it was visually stunning and a technical masterpiece, as everybody else has been saying. Yes, the story has been told before, but Cameron did manage to make it seem as fresh as the "foreigner grows to value a new culture" theme can be at this point.

The one thing that is bugging me about the film is the heavy hand with which Cameron laid on his political agenda (didn't actually know anything about his politics going in, but now I feel like I could be his campaign manager). Granted, I'm a liberal-leaning moderate, and I fall on the same side as Cameron on many of the issues (the environment, war, corporate power, etc.), but I feel like Cameron could've been a bit more tactful.
    Last edited by Zangetsu; 01-02-2010 at 02:38 AM.

"In order to improve the mind, we ought less to learn, than to contemplate."
    - Rene Descartes

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    - R.W. Emerson

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Sherlock Holmes was great. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Sherlock Holmes was great. Highly recommended.
    Really? I don't know it doesn't look too appealing to me.

Sherlock Holmes was a detective and not 007.

Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Really? I don't know it doesn't look too appealing to me.

Sherlock Holmes was a detective and not 007.
    Watch the movie, that's what he is in the movie too.

Downey Jr was amazing...and Guy Ritchie bringing some grit to the character is a much welcome change from how he's been portrayed before, because that's the way he was written in the novels.

Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    Watch the movie, that's what he is in the movie too.

Downey Jr was amazing...and Guy Ritchie bringing some grit to the character is a much welcome change from how he's been portrayed before, because that's the way he was written in the novels.
    Exactly. His character was exactly as I pictured him from reading the books. A quirky, weird man, who has exceptionable deduction skills.

On another note, first time to the movies since these were introduced. At the Cineplex Odeon I was at, there was a row of red motion chairs. I think they were an additional $7, so I'd never get them, but has anyone tried them out? Supposed to be really good. I dunno, the movies are expensive as it is, and a movie is made to be watched, not shifted around as well.

On another note, first time to the movies since these were introduced. At the Cineplex Odeon I was at, there was a row of red motion chairs. I think they were an additional $7, so I'd never get them, but has anyone tried them out? Supposed to be really good. I dunno, the movies are expensive as it is, and a movie is made to be watched, not shifted around as well.
    I've never heard of these seats in the theaters. They must be only offered in big city theaters. What do they do exactly?

I've never heard of these seats in the theaters. They must be only offered in big city theaters. What do they do exactly?
    They're programmed for the specific movie and they move and shift when appropriate during the movie I guess.. something like you'd have at an amusement park.

http://www.d-box.com/

Thats the website for the seats.

They're programmed for the specific movie and they move and shift when appropriate during the movie I guess.. something like you'd have at an amusement park.

http://www.d-box.com/

Thats the website for the seats.
    Pretty cool if you ask me. How much would a ticket cost to experience something like that?

I'd try it nut I'm not sure I'd like it....I think it would get kinda annoying...depends on how much movement there is.

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    I'd try it nut I'm not sure I'd like it....I think it would get kinda annoying...depends on how much movement there is.
    same here - unless it's extremely subtle, I'm pretty sure I'd find it much more distracting than additive to the overall experience. But I'd give it a try if they had them at my local theater (which I don't think they do).

Didn't realize, looks like thats the only theatre in Ontario that has them. I thought they were being installed as a standard feature now.

As for cost, as far as I understand, it would be $7 on top of your standard movie rate. So say around $20 or so for your movie in the chair.

Senior Member All-Star abusiveninja's Avatar
    Finally saw "The Hangover." Not sure what all the hype is about. Outside of Alan this was kind of boring. I would maybe watch it one more time... but I would never buy it.

Gimme "Animal House" or "Caddyshack" or even "Old School" over this anyday.

Alan was awesome, though, haha.
    Last edited by abusiveninja; 01-05-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

The plot has it's ups and downs. I'd say up more often than down but it has weak moments.

Well said.

About the originality of the plot, I found this funny:

Quote Originally Posted by abusiveninja View Post
    Finally saw "The Hangover." Not sure what all the hype is about. Outside of Alan this was kind of boring. I would maybe watch it one more time... but I would never buy it.
    Yeah, I agree. I actually thought the movie was pretty bad with shallow characters and relationships and a plot that went nowhere the entire time.

Elixir of the Mongoose First Liner Dexter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post
    The movie 'Primer' is a damn mindfuck. But an enjoyable one!
    Love it. I mentioned it in this thread a while back. You should definitely watch it again soon, you pick up so much more the second time around.

Yahoo! Hockey 12-Team H2H Auction League 7:4 (G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, GWG, W, SV%, GAA, SO)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 3BN, 1IR
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Information