Page 18 of 69 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ih8music View Post
    Hm, hard to say since we're talking about a hypothetically very different movie as to whether the rape scenes needed to be so graphic. I think it was necessary to show exactly how brutal Alex & the boys really are. They're not heroes or Robin Hood-style of criminals, they're genuinely disturbed & violent thugs. The fact that you were disgusted and made to feel uneasy by those scenes is exactly what Kubrick thought he had to do to make this point.

same here... and our teacher had us rip out the dictionary that came with the book, as Burgess had originally intended. Not my favorite book of all time, but one of the most enjoyable to read - for the language alone.
    We must have gotten one without the dictionary because our copies didn't have that!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    Actually "moon" just come out this year. It was just at my local $1 movie about a month ago, which is how I saw it. Excellent film...I love that movie. Just go in it not knowing anything about it, don't spoil it for yourself...very cool movie!

Also I liked "Pandorium" for what it was. I really liked the ending actually...cool stuff.

Touche...

and Knowing was...I believe the expression is "meh." It was a movie that I kind of figured out what was going to happen at certain parts.

You're absolutely right, just expressing thats the only thing that can get to me. RIP Stanley Kubrick

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post
    CGI for movies isn't dependent on processing power. Any kind of graphic can technically be rendered on any computer, it's just a matter of how long you're willing to wait for each frame to render vs how much you're willing to pay to speed it up vs how much you're willing to let quality slide.

And believe me, the rigs they were using in their render farms weren't running on Pentium Pros.

This is why Jurassic Park is more impressive to me. The photorealistic dinosaurs took more than just processing power to do (though that was a big part). In order for that to happen, new algorithms to render believeable skin and motion for the creatures needed to be developed. That's why it was such a technical step forward.
    (OMG, are you guys still debating this shit???? )

Senior Member All-Star Chilly_Willy's Avatar
    I am a huge animation fan for about 20 years now and followed the evolution of CG from Dier Strait's money is for nothing video and The Professional: Golgo 13's pretty pathetic attempt at incorporating a CG scene into a cell animation format. The thing that was special about Jurrasic Park is it was one of the first movies to come out where the special effects really were almost seamlesly integrated into the movie. It finally crossed the line where you weren't having to ignore limitations of physical movie magic and experience a totally new emerssion into the action. One of the reasons Star Wars (original) was so ahead of its time was it accomplished the same thing but with brialant rethinking of the use of physical models and camera work.

What Titanic did for me was intoroduce the scale of what CG can do in a film. If you think about it, 15-20 years ago Matrix Revolutions 3 would not have been possible because they could not take the plot into a whiole different world. Movies like that would have built up and built up then introduced some twist where they never actually go to that world because it wasn't technically possible. Its one of the reasons I like animation because you can introduce the largest or smallest scales and there is no limits but the imagination even the laws of physics can be warped. You yongsters may not remember movies where they didn't show the monster till the last 15 minutes because SI were so expensive before computers became feasible.

I am looking forward to avatar but anything that gets this kinda hype I always fear the white washing of the plot where characters are dummed down for the masses and very one dimensional and the movies message is oversimplified and rammed down your throat and there is too much piss poor comic releif. I am too old to enjoy movies just as visual candy. There needs to be some more advanced morality conflicts and engaging problems to keep my interest.
    Last edited by Chilly_Willy; 12-14-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Chilly_Willy's Avatar
    Caught the blind side. Everything was a little to worky outy but being based on a true story is pretty cool.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Just saw the Blind Side as well. Wasn't what I expected but still a great story. Sandra Bullock was really good in it.

Just saw Avatar - its a great movie. Really enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Just saw the Blind Side as well. Wasn't what I expected but still a great story. Sandra Bullock was really good in it.
    She played the part really well. I liked the movie overall. It was one of those inspiring/motivational films. Speaking of which, Invictus was exactly that and the acting was great, but the film overall was just ok. For a Clint Eastwood film I had high expectations, but this flick felt like it was put together too fast.

The Hockey Hitman All-Star Gambit's Avatar

Absolutely amazing...thats all I can say right now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
    Of course I think the actual movie is going to be retarded, but it'll probably look cool
    Well it wasn't retarded at least. It was ...... okay. I'm tired of the story though: white hero saves the "savages" after realizing that they're decent people and then realizes that the military and technology are bad. Blah blah blah, been there done that. The actual story is played out, the dialogue is bad, and I'm tired of seeing Michelle Rodriguez typecast as the "badass chick" in every movie. It's definitely worth seeing because stuff blows up and it looks amazing, and despite being nearly 3 hours long it doesn't drag on too much. But see it in an IMAX theatre or in 3D; this isn't the kind of movie you can wait for on dvd or blu-ray

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Watched "The Hangover" last night. While it was certainly better than most of this genre, I don't see why it got so much love. It was funny. Even very funny. I just don't see how it got that much love.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
    Well it wasn't retarded at least. It was ...... okay. I'm tired of the story though: white hero saves the "savages" after realizing that they're decent people and then realizes that the military and technology are bad. Blah blah blah, been there done that.
    Congratulations James Cameron on remaking Pocahontas.

Generally I hate hype, but I was going to give this movie a chance. But after all I've read about the plot, I think I'll pass.

I don't care how revolutionary the visuals are (and I've read conflicting reports on that anyways). I'm not getting suckered into watching another movie like Titanic that looks good but has a plot for 12-year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    Watched "The Hangover" last night. While it was certainly better than most of this genre, I don't see why it got so much love. It was funny. Even very funny. I just don't see how it got that much love.
    Movies like that are generally better in theatres because everyone laughing makes it seem funnier...when I watch 'hilarious' comedies at home by myself or with someone I find I don't enjoy it as much as everyone else.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Or Dances with Wolves, or The Last Samurai, or The Emerald Forrest, or Battle for Terra, etc. I don't have a problem with using the same plot from a different movie, lots of my favorite movies aren't really original, but Avatar didn't bring anything new to the table other than amazing visuals. So like I said, it's not a bad movie, it's just okay, but it's worth seeing in theatres because of the visuals alone. And I'd recommend seeing it in 3D/Real D because there's some really neat stuff

To me its a must see for the visual effects alone. Even if you HATE the plot or something, its just fucking beautiful. It'll be hard for movie-makers to top that.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Fucking Brittany Murphy died of cardiac arrest??

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/report-act...-dies/32960?nc

2010 Dead Pool Champion All-Star Hockeyis#1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyis#1 View Post
    I saw one of the longer sneak previews or whatever. The visuals are very cool, and I'm sure the action scenes will be well done, but whatever I saw gave the whole storyline away and it seemed very routine. Man gets sent on mission in new environment, man sympathizes with new environment, man eventually turns on mission and supports new environment, and there's a female blue thing involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I think it will turn out to be a bit deeper than you think. I saw that same long preview and had the same thoughts but quickly realized there will certainly be more to it than they showed. It isn't going to be the deepest movie in history but I'm sure the plot will exceed your low expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    I might never understand why people think they know what this movie is about. It's a week away, I've seen every trailer, clip and I went to see the 15 minutes of footage screening and I'm still not presumptuous to think I know that the story will suck.
    Well it looks like I called it.....
    Well it wasn't retarded at least. It was ...... okay. I'm tired of the story though: white hero saves the "savages" after realizing that they're decent people and then realizes that the military and technology are bad.
    Or Dances with Wolves, or The Last Samurai, or The Emerald Forrest, or Battle for Terra, etc. I don't have a problem with using the same plot from a different movie, lots of my favorite movies aren't really original, but Avatar didn't bring anything new to the table other than amazing visuals

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Right, cause one person on this sight's opinion means you called it. Go watch it and find out yourself.

2010 Dead Pool Champion All-Star Hockeyis#1's Avatar
    Right, cause one person on this sight's opinion means you called it. Go watch it and find out yourself.
    They're the only ones I quoted. I've read professional movie reviewers pieces on it, that have told the same tale. Visually mind blowing, basic plot.

I'm actually torn on seeing it. I imagine dl'ing the DVD won't get the visual appeal on my POS laptop, but I'm not sure I really want to pay the $12 to see the visuals.

Well, two quotes were by one person, and the middle quote was a response to the one person's opinion from someone who hasn't watched it yet. So, just one guy so far.

But as I said way back man, I don't expect the plot to impress, but I also don't expect it to hinder the experience.

Senior Member All-Star HABS_FrEaK's Avatar
    The plot really isn't that bad, sure it's nothing original but it in no way hurts the experience. Anyone who doesn't go out and see this in 3D is going to miss out on a very unique and spectacular experience. Even if the story is nothing new I had never had that type of experience in a movie theater before and for anyone who loves movies that should be reason enough to go see it.

I actually really enjoyed the story a lot because of the visuals. I know that may sound weird but the visuals were THAT good. You just feel immersed in the movie.

I got exactly what I wanted from the movie and so much more.

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    you pretty much answered your own curiosity doc!

The Hangover was fucking hilarious...I go to the movies all the time and have never, ever been in a theater where people all around me were laughing hysterically out loud....loved that shit

But as I said way back man, I don't expect the plot to impress, but I also don't expect it to hinder the experience.
    That is exactly the situation for Avatar... plot is nothing mindblowing but it doesn't need to be.

It's $12 for a 3 hour long movie that looks fucking awesome and keeps you entertained the whole way through. Its a good movie, everyone should see it.

BTW, i saw it in IMAX 3D - neat stuff!

Senior Member All-Star abusiveninja's Avatar
    Watched "Four Christmases" for the first time. FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by abusiveninja View Post
    Watched "Four Christmases" for the first time. FAIL
    Wasn't it! Not what I expect from Vince Vaughn. Was his Couples Retreat like that too or better?

Finally caught Avatar today. Great movie - really liked it much more than I thought I would.

But "unobtainium" is the name of the precious metal they're after? Are you kidding me? it's like Cameron had his 12 yr old nephew name it.
    Last edited by ih8music; 12-23-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Senior Member All-Star abusiveninja's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS View Post
    Wasn't it! Not what I expect from Vince Vaughn. Was his Couples Retreat like that too or better?
    4 XMAS had a few good scenes, but totaling about 5-10 minutes. The rest was awful.

Haven't seen 'Couples Retreat' yet, but I will definitely watch it. Hopefully he and Favreau do better this time.

Edit: Just checked IMDB reviews. Not promising. DAMMIT

Yup, Couple's Retreat is bad.

Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Watched 2012, and not that you need to be told this but it's pretty awful.

A Christmas movie which wasn't half bad was Eight Crazy Nights. You can watch it on YouTube, too.

Just watched Home Alone again and that movie keeps getting better the older I get.

Thread Information