Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2221
  1. #2191
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    Great card. The Edson Barboza knockout was something special...never seen that before. Ever. Except in a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie.

    I like the fact that Joe Rogan got in Mario Yamasaki's face about the call, I know alot of people were on twitter complaining about it, but far too often these refs fuck up important calls, and they should have to own up to it. So too should the judges but apparantly that will never happen.

    Good for Vitor Belfort for still winning that fight...I know they went out of their way to explain that on fight day they weighed similar, but that's kind of a silly comment.

    Anthony Johnson is a disgrace to the sport. He walks around at, depending on what you read, north of 230 lbs and tries to cut down to 170, he's missed weight multiple times(and not by a little either). Glad he's gone. His entire approach to MMA was absurd.

    I think I've said this before, I'll say it again. Jose Aldo is the best P4P in the world. The mix of striking, takedown defense, wrestling(how he got started), and world class BJJ if fights ever got to the ground which they rarely do since he's so dominant standing nowadays.

    He also employs a gameplan that I think is perfect for MMA, and so few people actually do. Leg. Kicks. Why stand and jab with someone when you can kick the shit out of their legs and sap their power source and fuck with their heads? Aldo's the king of leg kicks, and it sets everything he does up so well.

    Leg kicks are the single most under utilized thing in MMA.

    The ending with Aldo running into the crowd was an amazing scene too. Love that guy to death.

  2. #2192
    Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,086
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    Why stand and jab with someone when you can kick the shit out of their legs and sap their power source and fuck with their heads?
    When you can do any one thing with greatness it's going to be effective. You downplay the effectiveness of jabs but we all know when it's done right:


  3. #2193
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Aldo stud.

    Rumble bum.

    Rogen stud.

    Yamasaki bum.

    Good night of fights.



  4. #2194
    Ajde Anci!! All-Star mrtybrodur30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,142
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    Leg kicks are the single most under utilized thing in MMA.
    Leg kicks are nothing like jabs though. Alot of fighters even if good on the ground don't want to risk being taken down or put in a bad position and it takes alot more energy to throw leg kicks compared to a jab.

  5. #2195
    Senior Member Third Liner
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    235
    Yamasaki is still one of the better referees in MMA.

    I don't like Miragliotta and his quick stand-ups. It was more prominent last night but he's always quick to separate fighters in the clinch or on the ground (unless I'm mixing him up with one of the other refs).

    However, as long as it's not Kim Winslow, I don't care who's the referee.

    I don't think the fighters are penalized enough when they commit fouls. See the Aldo fight last night. He clearly grabbed the fench to prevent a takedown and was only given a warning. This happens too often for my liking. Especially in 3 round fights, a single takedown could possibly win or lose a fighter a fight and a warning is just not enough of a penalty. And while I don't agree with the call last night, I hope the Yamasaki DQ indicates that the refs are starting to pay more attention to hits to the back of the head. Kicks to the groin and eyepokes, while usually accidental, are also given too many warnings before a referee is willing to deduct a point.

  6. #2196
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by keyboard View Post
    When you can do any one thing with greatness it's going to be effective. You downplay the effectiveness of jabs but we all know when it's done right:

    I'm not downplaying the effectiveness of a jab, what I'm saying is jabs are a little more complex to use in MMA(I know kicks can lead to takedowns etc), what I mean by this is simply this:

    Next UFC event, whatever card it is, remember this conversation, and watch how often a fighter's lead leg is wide open to being kicked. It's literally always. So many MMA guys train boxing, which includes training "boxing movement", which isn't suited to MMA because it exposes the lower half of your body to kicks. Doesn't matter to a boxer obviously since kicking isn't a part of the sport, but MMA fighters nearly to a man train similar to them on the feet, and leave themselves exposed to leg kicks at that expense.

    Everyone does it, and everyone is very succeptable to leg kicks in this sport, but no one has ever really come along and really, really utilized it.

  7. #2197
    Senior Member All-Star Chilly_Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,695
    Aldo is amazing so excited to have seen him fresh in the WEC and keep it going into the big show. The UFC champions are amazing. Heavy Weight seems to be disputed quite a bit but the other weight classes have some solid solid champions. Aldo, Silva, GSP imagine the grand total title defenses those guys will all end up with. Edgar and Jones look like there have some staying power. Amazing group of athletes.

    I like Rogen's comments on the Aldo Fabor fight. We has tallking about how Fabor was warning his team about the leg kicks and basically said I trained as if I would take a few becuase I knew they were coming, but he was not prepared for what they really meant. Team alpha male must be fuming over Aldo, they have no solution for him.

    And yeah that Aldo run into the crowd was a spectical. I love the Brazil fights. When Nogera won his last fight there that was an amazing moment, when he perched on the cage the crowd was amazing I guess he actually only lived a few blocks from the arena so he littlerally won in his home. More UFC brazil for sure I am all for it.


  8. #2198
    Senior Member All-Star snoopzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    2,066
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    I'm not downplaying the effectiveness of a jab, what I'm saying is jabs are a little more complex to use in MMA(I know kicks can lead to takedowns etc), what I mean by this is simply this:

    Next UFC event, whatever card it is, remember this conversation, and watch how often a fighter's lead leg is wide open to being kicked. It's literally always. So many MMA guys train boxing, which includes training "boxing movement", which isn't suited to MMA because it exposes the lower half of your body to kicks. Doesn't matter to a boxer obviously since kicking isn't a part of the sport, but MMA fighters nearly to a man train similar to them on the feet, and leave themselves exposed to leg kicks at that expense.

    Everyone does it, and everyone is very succeptable to leg kicks in this sport, but no one has ever really come along and really, really utilized it.
    Yeah, so many MMA guys train in boxing, but they also often train in Muay Thai as well, and in that discipline they'd have to know how to check/defence leg kicks.

    I agree that leg kicks can be incredibly effective. As an example, see Faber during (and his leg after) the Aldo fight:


    I've often wondered myself why leg kicks weren't used more often, as I've seen them used VERY effectively in the past. However, there are a few reasons why they aren't.

    1) There's a lot of technique involved in properly executing leg kicks. You can just as easily smash up your own leg (shins, etc) if you improperly execute your kicks, or even overuse them in training.

    2) When you throw a leg kick you leave yourself open to counters or takedowns:


    3) Some judges (most notably Cecil Peoples, some years ago) simply don't value leg strikes as "finishing" ones, like a punch to the head would be.
    Everyone’s favorite maverick judge, Cecil Peoples, supposedly explained the rationale behind his scoring of the Machida/Rua fight at UFC 104 in a talk with CageReport.net. He begins with the usual defense, pointing out that he has a different perspective on the fight than the fans do, and then launches into an explanation of why Machida’s strikes counted for more than Rua’s:

    “Mauricio Rua was being aggressive but it wasn’t effective aggressiveness which is what we as the judges look for when scoring a fight. The way I saw it, Lyoto was landing the more cleaner and damaging strikes throughout the fight – if you take a look at the judging criteria clean strikes are valued more-so than the quantity of strikes landed. Although Rua threw a lot of low kicks they were not as damaging as Lyotos diverse attack in the earlier rounds which is why I scored the first three rounds for Machida. You have to keep in mind we always the favour the fighter who is trying to finish the fight, and leg kicks certainly don’t do that."
    Whether you think Peoples is an idiot or not (I do), or whether you believe leg strikes can make a difference in a fight (I definitely do), the fact remains that fighters must do what they can to try to win a match, either through finishing or decision, and this kind of known attitude from a judge might prevent some fighters from exploring leg kicks as an attack option more thoroughly.

  9. #2199
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    I understand the difficulty in applying leg kicks well, but every technique used in MMA has a "downside" to it, the best learn how to apply it despite the risks. Leg kicks are the one thing that no one outside of Aldo has really used at a very high level. Think back too, this isn't just me, how many times have you heard Joe Rogan saying something like "I don't know why he isn't throwing more leg kicks, they're there for him and they're working."

    I'm sure part of it is the absurd stupidity of judges who may not value it, but it's not like leg kicks have to be the only attack. It's really just setting up all the rest of the things you could do to someone.

  10. #2200
    Senior Member All-Star Chilly_Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,695
    Jardine vs. Liddell is another match I can remember where leg kicks were the story of the fight. Its been a long time and my memory might be shaky but at the end of that match I remember Liddell having a lot of trouble standing and balance. And I believe Jardine was awarded the decision. Speaking of Jardine, another glancing blow ended his night in strike force. I hope he calls it quits soon.


  11. #2201
    Senior Member All-Star Chilly_Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,695
    Are you guys excited about all the fights? I am pretty happy there are fights on pretty frequently but I am finding myself thinking some times, wasn't there just a fight last weekend LOL.


  12. #2202
    Senior Member Third Liner
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    235
    Alex Caceres just got fucking robbed. Deducting 2 points in a 3 round fight? That's terrible Herb Dean. But even with that deduction he should have won. Sure he almost got knocked out in the first, but that's one kick and Caceres dominated the round otherwise (got mount and back multiple times).

    Edwin on the otherhand milked those nut shots for all they were worth. The first one was bad, yeah. But the second one wasn't terrible and he went down like he'd just been shot (not to mention he tried to fake one before that).
    Last edited by saveur; 02-04-2012 at 09:35 PM.

  13. #2203
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly_Willy View Post
    Are you guys excited about all the fights? I am pretty happy there are fights on pretty frequently but I am finding myself thinking some times, wasn't there just a fight last weekend LOL.
    Some of these companies really need to learn a fucking lesson.

    Dana White supports SOPA and PIPA, but he's willing to put on cards every fucking weekend for $60 a pop(if you buy HDPPV)...what does he think is going to happen?

    Piracy is a problem clearly, but it's not near as bad as people make it out to be, the problem is they just keep relentlessly churning out crap from every orifice and expect people to buy in because it's the record label or promotions or whatever you like.

    Trent Reznor proved this how many years ago with the release of Ghosts? He released it for absolutely free on the internet, and set up an account that basically said, "if you feel like paying for it, pay whatever you like here"

    Ghosts was the single most profitable album released that year.

    Louis CK has showed this with his most recent comedy DVD that he made available online for $5 off his website and people bought in record numbers.

    December 10th
    December 30th
    January 14th
    January 20th(on FX)
    January 28th(on FOX)
    February 4th
    February 15th(on FUEL TV)
    February 26th
    March 3rd(on FX)

    Like, enough already. You wonder why someone might decide to download or stream your PPV when those are $60 a pop(the PPV ones), and the product is so watered down? That's 1 week of no UFC in 2 months(Jan 14-March 3)...

    Look at tonight's card. I went to a bar, but like fucking hell I'm paying that much money to buy this nonsense...
    Last edited by CayugaPosse; 02-05-2012 at 03:45 AM.

  14. #2204
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    Look at tonight's card. I went to a bar, but like fucking hell I'm paying that much money to buy this nonsense...
    You didn't pay the $60, what are you bitching about again?

    I mean, I get that it's tough to do but that bar you went to, it's not going anywhere.



  15. #2205
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    You didn't pay the $60, what are you bitching about again?

    I mean, I get that it's tough to do but that bar you went to, it's not going anywhere.
    No offense, but since you came strong like that let me come back at you a little here:

    I know the bar's not going anywhere, are you just dumb and lack any ability to comprehend what you're reading?

    Dana White and the UFC, a company that owes more to twitter/facebook and general social media than just about any company on the face of the planet because one of the largest reasons they got so big was their early embrace of the internet and social media, have taken a stance in favour of a bill/law that would cripple the afformentioned sites(the first sites that would ever get shut down under SOPA/PIPA are facebook/twitter/youtube, because as the law was written any single "pirated" clips/stolen materials on your site are cause for being shut down(I currently have like 10 things a friend pasted last night that would fall under that perview sitting on my wall).

    And the truth is, as factual as the statement "piracy is a problem" is, the statement "it's nowhere near as big a problem as everyone treats it as" is true. As I said, there are several cases that have proven that if you treat customers with an ounce of respect, they'll respond in kind(mostly, obviously piracy will still exist).

    The fact that Dana White and the UFC would put on an event like last night, and charge the money they charge for PPV's, when it's like the 6th week in a row UFC's been on, and it costs this much, and then wonder why fans of the sport might resort to illegal piracy is the cause of my frustration.

    No, this is not hair off my back. I work by the bar, it was very easy to go there actually(expensive in a way because I went early and grabbed dinner then grabbed a bit of food during the fights, but no big deal).

    But this is a growing problem with these companies.

    WWE/F used to put on 4 PPV's a year, last year they did 13(including an $80 wrestlemania PPV), even despite the fact their TV ratings are WAY down from where they were during the timeframe where it was necessary to go to one a month or so.

    UFC used to do them fairly rarely, then it grew into a once a month thing, now it's bi-weekly if you're lucky(and it's not weekly).

    The companies just keep gouging customers who are loyal to these brands. No fight fan is going to just not watch, no WWE fan is going to just not watch a PPV. So if you don't give them a reason to buy it, then they're going to find it elsewhere. Admittedly some will just go elsewhere anyway, but most if given a reason to buy, will buy. And if they're given a break, and time to ensure they can spend that money, then that would help also.

    For someone who's been so smart about marketing his company...a) supporting something as controversial as SOPA/PIPA makes no sense and b) is just lacking in oversight and the ability to identify the root of the problem here.

    Look I like Carlos Condit, and Nick Diaz alot. But if you put that fight out there as the main event of a PPV(good fight as it may be, neither fighter really has the cache to headline a PPV, be honest with yourself), and wonder why people won't pay $60 during the economy we live in today, and then just turning it around and blaming the internet for it all, then you're an idiot plain and simple.
    Last edited by CayugaPosse; 02-05-2012 at 11:44 PM.

  16. #2206
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    He makes money. Amazing money. I get the whole substance to your argument but until he actually stops making money, he's doing the right thing for him and his business. Dana doesn't "wonder why people won't pay the $60" because people DO pay that. Continually. He's capitalizing on having the world by the balls and he would be STUPID not to put on fights as often as he does. He's obviously going to atleast rant about piracy because it's still taking money out of his pocket.

    I just find it silly to blame him for doing what he does, are you against THAT or just that he backs the PIPA/SOPA thing and then puts on events so frequent?

    I won't resort to calling you dumb like you did me but if you spent somewhere close to $60 at the bar on food and drinks during, I'm certainly not the dumb one. I cooked up burgers and hot dogs and relaxed in my theater room watching fights that I enjoyed. I paid the money for the fights, just like I will in 3 weeks time.

    If you're completely against it, don't back him. You going to the bar is just like buying the fight. Until that happens, your argument is really silly, IMO.



  17. #2207
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    As I said, for a company that owes as much as they do to social media and the internet in general, to come out in support of a bill which if passed in the form it had been written would destroy the internet that MADE him all that money in the first place, is criminal for one of two reasons. One, he didn't actually read it and just knows it as the bill to stop piracy, in which case he should shut his fucking mouth. Two, he did actually read it and decided that the extra money he could maybe milk if the bill was passed is worth more to him than taking a stand in support of the medium which fucking made him.

    And what you just said about "he'd be an idiot if he didn't gouge people" is the problem with all of modern media.

    WWF put on 4 events a year, then went to 12 a year when they bought out their competition.

    UFC bought out their competition and they've followed the pattern but to an even more exaggerated level putting events on bi-weekly essentially now.

    I understand that they can because they monopolize the market now, but that is also a one way ticket to people seeking end-arounds to get out of being ripped off.

    Again, this entire thing is about respect, there are a few people who have gotten that and been rewarded, and most that don't people fight back against.

    Not to continually harp on the same few examples, but again, in Louis CK's own words, he could have sold his latest special to HBO and HBO would have charged $20 for a DVD(or more), and charged XX per month for their channel. Or he could open it up and say "it's $5, I worked hard on it and did it all myself", and people fucking FLOCKED to that thing to pay up. He ended up donating huge chunks of the money to charity because he couldn't believe the sales for it.

    Nine Inch Nails released "Year Zero" under a label, and when Trent Reznor found out in parts of the world they were charging $35(!) for the CD and went to the label to ask what the hell was going on, he was told point blank: "You have a loyal fanbase, we can charge whatever we want and they'll buy it." He immediately told people to steal it on his website. He released his next album under his own label and it became the highest earning CD of 2008(profit wise), and that's from releasing it online and telling people to pay whatever they wanted for it.

    The point of all this is, he's not an idiot if he doesn't gouge people. There are many cases floating around of people embracing the customers and treating them with some respect and being rewarded for it.

    It's an unhealthy way to view it to say "I'd be stupid to not gouge viewers and charge them as much as I possibly can", because that's what creates fight back from the public.

    Instead, all these companies and industries simply look at the internet as the causation, and don't look inwards and say "Maybe part of the reason they pirated this PPV is because the show just wasn't good enough?"

    They just know they have a monopoly and feel like that entitles them to abuse customers...and in a climate where a great deal of the population is struggling financially, having that mentality is bound to backfire.

    I understand this is all a little rambley but the reason I bring all this up is simple : I don't pirate UFC events, and I have never missed one. But I guarantee you I'm going to start missing/pirating if they don't slow the fuck down, because I simply can't keep up with this.
    Last edited by CayugaPosse; 02-06-2012 at 01:04 AM.

  18. #2208
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    And my point is: It's not abuse. I'm paying for it, and many other people also pay for it.

    I see your argument I just don't 100% agree.



  19. #2209
    Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,086
    Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    And my point is: It's not abuse. I'm paying for it, and many other people also pay for it.

    I see your argument I just don't 100% agree.
    Of course you don't agree, you're still one of the shmucks who actually pays for an inferior, watered down product and instead of being upset actually defend the purchase (and in my opinion add to your shmuckness by throwing in a "theatre room" reference).

    Congratulations, you're wasting your money and helping a company believe it's going in the right direction at the expense of actual entertainment. I guess paying makes you feel like you have extra entitlement to your opinion when it really doesn't.

    I don't expect you to understand, you're probably still a little high on the sugar rush from the Kool-Aid.

  20. #2210
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by keyboard View Post
    Of course you don't agree, you're still one of the shmucks who actually pays for an inferior, watered down product and instead of being upset actually defend the purchase (and in my opinion add to your shmuckness by throwing in a "theatre room" reference).

    Congratulations, you're wasting your money and helping a company believe it's going in the right direction at the expense of actual entertainment. I guess paying makes you feel like you have extra entitlement to your opinion when it really doesn't.

    I don't expect you to understand, you're probably still a little high on the sugar rush from the Kool-Aid.


    Right on Kam.
    Last edited by dw13; 02-06-2012 at 09:40 PM.



  21. #2211
    Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,086
    It's a very bizarre decision for you to want to go that personal with me seeing as it would be ridiculously easy for me to respond with far more personal and more importantly accurate retorts but I don't see that going anywhere productive so I won't bother. I see you edited your response and so I'll remove the quotation from my reply.

    Back to the point, the more you support a shitty product, the shittier the product will get. That is simple economics. You defending your shitty job as a consumer with by fucking up your buying power leaves you at fault for the decline of a product. Do you understand that?

    Now, if you firmly believe the increase in fight cards has lead to an increase in the actual value of the product being offered that's one thing but I don't think that's the case. If it is the case you're a lost cause and I won't bother discussing it any further with you as you're so far removed from the discussion you might as well not be in it.

  22. #2212
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Minus all the other bullshit you seem to tag along with. I edited because I don't want to turn this into a flame fest.

    I actually enjoyed the card, it clearly wasn't one of the better ones but I felt as if I got my moneys worth. Very few times over the past year or so I've walked away feeling like I was so disappointed I wanted my money back.

    But I can understand people having felt that way, and that's why I always suggest a bar (even though I've done that once, and I can't stand the amount of douche bags wearing Tapout shirts acting like their UFC fighters).

    THAT'S my point. You and Cayuga firing back telling me I'm wasting my money is silly. It's my money. I buy the fights for my (and others chip in) enjoyment.

    On the 25th. I won't be buying the full card. I'll be pitching in at a friends watching it, but if I wasn't doing that I probably wouldn't be buying the card due to money being tight. I picked this fight over the next one.

    Life goes on.



  23. #2213
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,586
    Iam not as hardcore about the UFC as you guys, but I do enjoy it. I always liked watching when it was on once a month or so, but it's abit much now IMO. They don't need fights on three or four weeks in row.

    I really only tune into the big fights now, or when someone I like is fighting, I don't find myself into it as much as I once was. I use to hate missing them, now I could care less.

  24. #2214
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    People clearly have a point. The PPV numbers don't lie, they've gone down over the years. Due to economic, too many fights, whatever.

    My point is PERSONALLY, I still find myself buying more times than not. And I've also streamed atleast 2 events through my computer.



  25. #2215
    Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Windsor,ON
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,092
    Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    People clearly have a point. The PPV numbers don't lie, they've gone down over the years. Due to economic, too many fights, whatever.

    My point is PERSONALLY, I still find myself buying more times than not. And I've also streamed atleast 2 events through my computer.
    The last fight we streamed through the laptop and plugged it into the tv
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

  26. #2216
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by dw13 View Post
    People clearly have a point. The PPV numbers don't lie, they've gone down over the years. Due to economic, too many fights, whatever.

    My point is PERSONALLY, I still find myself buying more times than not. And I've also streamed atleast 2 events through my computer.
    I accept your apology.

    You just proved my point, and I haven't touched on this yet, PPV buys are down for them, and as everyone else in every goddamn facet of the "entertainment" industry does now, Dana is blindly blaming the internet. The internet, and online piracy didn't evolve or leap forward in the last year. Your product got shittier in the last year.

    Go back and look at old UFC's, to a man and event to event it was always big names(Liddell vs Ortiz, etc), there are almost no instances of "questionable" main events or questionable cards. Now there are alot, and the UFC would be wise to look there to see some problems rather than sticking their heads in the sand and blaming the evil internet.

  27. #2217
    Senior Member All-Star snoopzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    2,066
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    You just proved my point, and I haven't touched on this yet, PPV buys are down for them, and as everyone else in every goddamn facet of the "entertainment" industry does now, Dana is blindly blaming the internet. The internet, and online piracy didn't evolve or leap forward in the last year. Your product got shittier in the last year.

    Go back and look at old UFC's, to a man and event to event it was always big names(Liddell vs Ortiz, etc), there are almost no instances of "questionable" main events or questionable cards. Now there are alot, and the UFC would be wise to look there to see some problems rather than sticking their heads in the sand and blaming the evil internet.
    There's something to what you're saying about PPV numbers being down in 2011, but to say that the UFC is blindly blaming the internet is a definite overstatement.

    Are numbers down? Yes, according to Lorenzo Fertitta. Last year there were three PPVs that sold 500,000+, as opposed to eleven 500K+ PPVs in 2010.

    Why is that? A few reasons. One the fighter's side, there were a lot of injuries and suspensions last year, leading to 11 of 14 planned main events needing to be changed. Think GSP, Nick Diaz, etc.

    Also, they've added some new divisions (flyweight, featherweight, bantamweight) and they're just not the draws that the light heavyweights and heavyweights are. You've got the divisions and the fighters, and you've got to put them out there.

    Finally, there aren't the marketable stars of a few years ago. You mentioned Liddell and Ortiz, but guys like Couture and Hughes were high-profile as well. Many of today's stars, outside of GSP and Brock Lesnar (who just retired), just aren't top draws. Jon Jones may be one someday, but he isn't yet, and neither is Anderson Silva (unless he's facing an opponent who is perceived to be a real threat).



    I do think that there's a real PPV fatigue factor as well, with so many UFC cards out there. I certainly think that expecting the average fan to kick in for 16 PPVs in a year is pretty crazy. To be honest, I think that a few of those "main events" were a little weak (i.e., UFC 138: Leben vs. Muñoz; UFC 133: Evans vs. Ortiz; UFC 130: Rampage vs. Hamill).

    But I also think that fans thinking that they are entitled to see every PPV that the UFC puts out there is also pretty crazy.

    Whether you like how the UFC structures its PPVs or not, I can't fault them for not wanting people to steal their product. It's not the UFC blaming the "evil Internet" for their woes, it's a very real problem and one of many that they have to deal with.

  28. #2218
    Senior Member All-Star Chilly_Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,695
    Ben Rothwell looked amazing. Not sure if Shaw constitutes all that impressive of a win so it will be interesting to see what he does next.

    Did anyone see his intro, when they were announcing his name he had this retarded gyration but I actually found it a bit unnerving. When people do their intro I always feel like there are people trying to look mean and then there are people that are mean. Wasn't sure what to make of that.


    Rory McDonald has unbelievable talent. I find it strange that GSP is mentoring him even though he is in his same weight class and McDonald is really looking like a contender. I am a big fan of Condit but I would like to see some McDonald v Condit or McDonald v Diaz before the big GSP fight.
    Last edited by Chilly_Willy; 04-23-2012 at 11:42 AM.


  29. #2219
    Go Bolts Hall of Famer dw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly_Willy View Post
    I am a big fan of Condit but I would like to see some McDonald v Condit
    We already see that. MacDonald was winning big the first two rounds and then got caught and TKO'd.

    and GSP/MacDonald have already said they won't fight each other.

    Fuck Greg Jackson.



  30. #2220
    Senior Member All-Star Chilly_Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,695
    I think its a good point in both their careers to fight again. I do remember that fight now, I forgot they had fought was that back in WEC? There are so many dang events now its hard to remember all the fights. LOL


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •