Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Nba

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The New Orleans Hornets have finally found a taker for Tyson Chandler. It took a deal with tinkering Charlotte coach Larry Brown, who was willing to jettison the Bobcats' first draft pick.
    Emeka Okafor was dealt to the Hornets on Tuesday for Chandler in a deal involving 26-year-old centres, a trade that brought different financial relief to both teams and hopes they'll thrive under different big men.
    The Hornets have been trying to unload the 7-foot-1 Chandler for several months. Last season they sent him to Oklahoma City, but the trade was rescinded after Chandler failed a physical amid concerns over a lingering toe injury.
    Brown was willing to gamble on the injury-prone big man. It comes at the expense of Okafor, who at 6-foot-10 is smaller than Chandler and had trouble guarding the NBA's top big men.
    "We looked at this trade as an opportunity to improve our team," Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins said. "Tyson brings that unique level of athleticism in a 7-footer that puts us in a position to compete night in and night out with the other quality centres in the league."
    But the Hornets were intrigued by Okafor's superior rebounding and durability, giving New Orleans a reliable big man with a longer contract as they try to recover from last season's first-round playoff exit.
    The deal is the fourth trade Charlotte has made since managing partner Michael Jordan hired Brown before last season. Brown, in his record ninth NBA head coaching job, has continued his history of numerous trades to mould the team into his defensive-minded liking.
    Now it includes sending the centrepiece of Charlotte's new franchise to the city's old team.
    Two years after the Hornets left Charlotte for New Orleans, the expansion Bobcats took Okafor with the No. 2 pick in the 2004 draft – after Orlando grabbed Dwight Howard.
    Okafor, who won an NCAA championship at Connecticut, had injury problems early in his career. But he has played all 82 games in each of the last two seasons while providing Charlotte with solid, if unspectacular, play.
    Okafor averaged 13.2 points and 10.1 rebounds last season, but his style didn't mesh with Brown. The coach questioned his basketball fire at the end of the season when he said Okafor "got an A in stretching and pilates and yoga. I want him to have an A in basketball."
    Chandler gives the Bobcats a centre who can better defend big players and a more athletic player who was often at the receiving end of alley-oop passes from the Hornets' Chris Paul.
    But Chandler is coming off surgery, and despite their identical ages, Chandler has played four more seasons than Okafor because he came to the NBA directly from high school in 2001.
    Chandler, averaged 8.8 points and 8.7 rebounds in only 45 games last season. He then underwent procedures on his left ankle and toe in May after being ineffective in the first-round series loss to Denver.
    The Bobcats were willing to take a chance that Chandler will be fully recovered by the start of next season and pulled the trigger on the deal that brought financial relief to both sides.
    For the Hornets, it immediately lowers their payroll would reduce luxury tax payments. Okafor is scheduled to make $10.5 million (all figures U.S.) next season and Chandler $11.8 million. The Hornets entered the week with a payroll of about $78 million, triggering a dollar-for-dollar tax over the NBA's luxury tax threshold of $69.9 million.
    But the Bobcats unload a much longer long-term commitment. Okafor still has five years left on a $72-million, six-year deal he signed last year. Chandler would make $12.7 million in a player option in 2010-11, the final season of his deal.
    Bobcats owner Bob Johnson, who is looking to sell the team after losing millions of dollars, has ordered management not to reach the luxury tax threshold. Getting Okafor's big contract off the books will help achieve that goal in future seasons.
    "We'd like to thank Emeka for all that he has done for this franchise and for serving as the organization's ambassador and first-ever draft pick," Higgins said. "His hard work and dedication to the Charlotte Bobcats will be missed, and we wish him well with his new team."

Can you see what I see??? Hall of Famer secol's Avatar
    on another note shaq was on WWE raw last night, saw some highlights on sportscenter lol
    12 team Keeper League ROTO....G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPP, GWG. W, GAA, SV%, SHO...KEEP 5

H2H 12 teamer, 4 keeper.....G, A, P, +/-, PIMs, PPP, SOG, W, S%, GAA, SHO

Want Injury Info? Check this Link Out

went to nba 3 on 3 here and met andre iguodala. guy has the dwight howard/lebron/oden look where he looks like he's 30/40 but it was cool meeting an nba player. had him autograph a ball i brought as well. i found it very odd that they chose iguodala to go visit a few canadian cities though, i was sure it was going to be a raptor player (probably would've been a kapono/grahame/moon type if they're still with the team), but i guess the roster remake BC did had something to do with it. all in all it was a great day, especially since last year it was poring rain the first day and play was suspended until sunday when it was lightly drizzling with large puddles everywhere.
    12 team Keeper League ROTO....G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPP, GWG. W, GAA, SV%, SHO...KEEP 5

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Blake Griffen has a broken left kneecap, could be out for the 1st six weeks.

The depth of the Magic is unreal this year, and we should be fine while Lewis is suspended. I'm happy basketball is back! Add another sport into my mix

Joakim Noah is turning into a force on the boards, with decent offensive production. I told everyone this is the exact player he would be!

Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    Joakim Noah is turning into a force on the boards, with decent offensive production. I told everyone this is the exact player he would be!
    Wow, can I borrow your crystal ball? (I thought he would become a high-scoring finesse guy! )

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Wow, can I borrow your crystal ball? (I thought he would become a high-scoring finesse guy! )
    I'm sure you were on the wagon that thought Noah would be an off the bench energy guy. Instead, he is a double-double machine for the Bulls, and a force on both sides of the ball.

I'm sure you were on the wagon that thought Noah would be an off the bench energy guy. Instead, he is a double-double machine for the Bulls, and a force on both sides of the ball.
    I figured he'd be a solid banger, be it off the bench or as a starter. The dude was uber talented coming out, he just needed the right fit/situation. You pat yourself on the back a lot....so I call you out here and there to keep you honest....no harm, no foul.

I figured he'd be a solid banger, be it off the bench or as a started. Then dude was uber talented coming out, he just needed the right fit/situation. You pat yourself on the back a lot....so I call you out here and there to keep you honest....no harm, no foul.
    I'm not trying to pat myself here! I got to know Joe a bit when he was at UF and just knew the type of guy and worker he was. The doubters when he came out really helped him turn the notch up and go for it in the NBA. You are right though, the right situation, and Chicago is a great fit. Shooters and playmakers around him, takes the offensive load off of him. He thrives on the boards and putbacks, and plays dynamite defense.

He is so athletic it's not even funny. When he was a Junior in High School, he was only 6 foot 1 and was a point guard! He sprouted basically overnight, so that athleticism never really left him.

I'm not trying to pat myself here! I got to know Joe a bit when he was at UF and just knew the type of guy and worker he was. The doubters when he came out really helped him turn the notch up and go for it in the NBA. You are right though, the right situation, and Chicago is a great fit. Shooters and playmakers around him, takes the offensive load off of him. He thrives on the boards and putbacks, and plays dynamite defense.

He is so athletic it's not even funny. When he was a Junior in High School, he was only 6 foot 1 and was a point guard! He sprouted basically overnight, so that athleticism never really left him.

I don't know if I can point to a post or anything, but I know I liked Noah and wished he was a rap....exactly the type of banger we need.

I'm just busting your balls btw

I'm just busting your balls btw
    I know that Buddy ol' Pal

Brandon Jennings is absolutely nasty.

Brandon Jennings is absolutely nasty.
    that one sure came out of nowhere lol.....even if you were watching the first/second quarter

Is NJ going to go 0-82 this year, 0-14 to start the season, that's rough.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Is NJ going to go 0-82 this year, 0-14 to start the season, that's rough.
    Much like many teams, I think that they don't really care. I believe that they have more cap room for this offseason than any other team and they just passed a hurdle for their Brooklyn arena. Combine that with some nice young talent and a top talent evaluator (Thorn) and I think that they are right where they want to be, believe it or not.

Senior Member All-Star
    Melo went off last night against the Knicks

A.I. is back with the 76ers.

Good lord did we hose the Nets for Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson. Magic are incredibly deep this year, even without Jameer.

Good lord did we hose the Nets for Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson. Magic are incredibly deep this year, even without Jameer.
    It was a deal that helped both teams. No one got hosed. The Nets had an aging star that wasn't in their long-term plans. They dealt him and are going to have more cap room than any other team this offseason, which was their plan all along. Anderson was a tough loss but they still have some nice young talent in NJ and a truckload of cap room.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    It was a deal that helped both teams. No one got hosed. The Nets had an aging star that wasn't in their long-term plans. They dealt him and are going to have more cap room than any other team this offseason, which was their plan all along. Anderson was a tough loss but they still have some nice young talent in NJ and a truckload of cap room.
    At this point, the Nets got hosed. They haven't won a game, Courtney Lee will never be more than a 6th man, Rafer Alston is Rafter Alston, he is dime a dozen.

If they land Chris Bosh (or LeBron I guess) and some other higher named free agent, and in 2 years they are an Eastern Conference contender, then yeah, the trade panned out. If not, I see no reason why this trade helped them at all to this point, which was their plan, but did they think they would be THIS bad? I like some of their young talent as well, but they aren't that special considering they haven't won a game. Lopez is nice, Harris is nice but CDR is going to be a role player soon.

At this point, the Nets got hosed. They haven't won a game, Courtney Lee will never be more than a 6th man, Rafer Alston is Rafter Alston, he is dime a dozen.

If they land Chris Bosh (or LeBron I guess) and some other higher named free agent, and in 2 years they are an Eastern Conference contender, then yeah, the trade panned out. If not, I see no reason why this trade helped them at all to this point, which was their plan, but did they think they would be THIS bad? I like some of their young talent as well, but they aren't that special considering they haven't won a game. Lopez is nice, Harris is nice but CDR is going to be a role player soon.
    The Nets situation is hit or miss depending on whether they get the Brooklyn deal or not although they could share Newark with the Devils, I suppose. As you should know, the NBA isn't all about talent. If you're good, it pretty much is but that's not all it is. It's also about creating cap space, especially when you're bad. I applaud what should be a quick rebuild for them. They had a nice run with their core but they couldn't go any further. They had gotten rid of everyone except for Carter and they found someone with a need. There will be a ton of free agents and most will go for the money, which the Nets will have more than any other team this offseason. People in this area are all over the Knicks' nuts because of their cap room but what else do they have?? IMHO, Lee is very overrated. Galinari could be solid. There isn't much else there. The Nets, on the other hand, are in great shape in my eyes. Harris is solid (more on him later), Lopez is a 20-10 guy waiting to happen, and I don't agree on CDR. He may never be a star but he will be much more than a role player to me. Lee may or may not be a 6th man but that could be all that they need next season. As for Harris, I love him but he gets injured too much. I wouldn't be surprised if they dealt him, too. Let's assume that he stays. That leaves them with Harris and Lopez along with 2 potential max free agents. Add CDR and Lee to the mix and you have a solid foundation. Let's not forget that they will probably have a top 3 pick in the draft.

I really like where they're going. I also love Thorn as a talent evaluator. No one would dispute that Orlando got more talent in the deal. As I mentioned, there is more to a deal than just talent. Both teams got what they wanted. Carter wasn't in the Nets' plans so they made a deal to set themselves up to go after someone that was in their plans. The Nets never thought that they would win much this year. What difference does it make if they won 0 or 5 games so far??

I completely understand the Nets goal in the trade and thought they did 'ok' by unloading Carter. I would of liked it much more if they kept their hands on Ryan Anderson as well. By hosing, I mean they got absolutely NO talent back that will help them when they do eventually sign someone, and make their push back to the playoffs, if they even do.

As for thinking they have really good young talent, I agree and disagree. I really like Brook Lopez, loved him at Stanford. He is a really skilled big dude and rebounds pretty well. Like you said with Harris, despite his injuries, he is a really solid point guard. I think CDR is a 6th man, the same way I think that Courtney Lee is a 6th man, but I actually like Lee a bit more because he can play some reliable defense, so I guess Lee could fit in pretty well.

Again, this all depends on if this talent PLUS the player or two they sign in the offseason pan out. I don't see it happening. I don't think Harris is ready to be a point guard for a team wanting to make a deep run, and I'm certainly not sold on LeBron, Brooklyn or not.

So maybe, I worded it wrong by saying they got hosed, but I think they could of done better. The difference is between 0 games and some games, is you think that young talent is so superb... then go win a game or two, and show me that the talent is good.

Either way, you're right it was a deal meant for both teams. It definitely completed exactly what the Magic needed.

I am quite sure that the Nets didn't want to deal Anderson but this goes back to deals being about more than just talent. Orlando took on a major contract. They needed something to entice them. We can also agree to disagree on the importance of a few wins to the Nets so far. This season, as is the case for many teams, is a wash. Bide your time, develop some young players if you can, and wait for 2010. It sucks that it has come to that but that is reality. I don't expect you to watch any Nets games not against Orlando but, for some strange reason, I have found myself watching more of their games this season than any other. I am not blind enough to realize that many wins are in the future, no matter what young talent they have. They are a young rebuilding team that has been pounded by injuries. No team would win with that.

If they develop their young talent and allow themselves to be in a position to be major players in the 2010 FA class, I will consider this season a success for them, no matter what the win total says.

If they develop their young talent and allow themselves to be in a position to be major players in the 2010 FA class, I will consider this season a success for them, no matter what the win total says.
    Right on Doc. That's what I'm saying

What do you think of Terence Williams?? It's too early for me to tell but he could be another solid player for the Nets. Forgot about him.

What do you think of Terence Williams?? It's too early for me to tell but he could be another solid player for the Nets. Forgot about him.
    I like him. He's got bags of potential. He can score fairly well, is an above average passer for his size and likes to rebound. I think he's an awesome fit for any team.

Greg Oden goes down yet again for the season, wow, Portland prob wishes they had a mulligan so they could go back and draft Kevin Durant over him, tough luck for Oden.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Greg Oden goes down yet again for the season, wow, Portland prob wishes they had a mulligan so they could go back and draft Kevin Durant over him, tough luck for Oden.
    Eh, Durant and Roy couldn't exist on the court together. Oden was having an awesome season before the injury, really unfortunate.

Eh, Durant and Roy couldn't exist on the court together. Oden was having an awesome season before the injury, really unfortunate.
    I know, but they must be thinking about that right now. I was a big fan of Oden coming out of college.

Thread Information