Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Michael Arace commentary: Souray is worth the risk for Jackets

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...s.html?sid=101

The Blue Jackets have spoken to the Edmonton Oilers about Sheldon Souray, the most available defenseman in recent NHL history. The two clubs have been trading partners in the past, and there is a potential fit here. There is a deal that would work for both sides.
    But it is not a no-brainer.
    Souray has long been lobbying for a trade, and there have been no takers. He is 34 years old, he has missed 102 games to injury the past two seasons and his cap hit is $5.4million in each of the next two years. What is more, he has been portrayed as a malcontent.
    Souray in April pilloried Oilers management. Among other things, he said, "You talk about Prongs (Chris Pronger) and guys like that, and it should raise an eyebrow when players who leave town are skipping out with a smile on his face."
    That is not burning a bridge, it is napalming.
    The Oilers are in a rebuilding mode. They were happy when another of their outspoken veterans, Ethan Moreau, a former captain, was claimed by the Blue Jackets off waivers in June. They did not want Souray anywhere near their young players, which is why they banned him from training camp.
    Think about this for a second, and put yourself in the shoes of general manager Scott Howson. He has a youthful roster he thinks is on the cusp of breaking out under a new coach, and he has Moreau. Does he introduce Souray?
    Howson, formerly the assistant GM of the Oilers, knows Moreau well and thought it important to add his presence and leadership. Moreau speaks highly of Souray. For that matter, as does Rick Nash. Is that enough vetting to ignore all of Souray's checkered past?
    Oilers GM Steve Tambellini has been trying to move Souray for at least nine months. He has canvassed the league, so of course he has spoken to the Jackets. There is a fit here.
    As colleague Aaron Portzline has surmised: The Jackets have long indicated a desire to upgrade their defense; Souray's cannonading slap shot is a game-changer on the power play; the Oilers are looking for at least one defenseman in return, and they have cap space to be accommodating; the Oilers, if they so desire, could take Mike Commodore's contract (three more years with an annual cap hit of $3.75million) and thus give the Jackets the budget space for Souray.
    The Commodore-for-Souray rumor was thrown around Sunday, when the Jackets' best offensive defenseman, Kris Russell, suffered a knee injury that will keep him out of the lineup for up to a month. But, really, Russell's injury doesn't change the dynamic to a great degree. Does a team leap at Souray, taking on another $1million in salary, when Russell might not even miss a regular-season game?
    Howson declined to comment yesterday on the Souray rumor, which is not a shocking development as addressing rumors is not smart business. He seemed sincere when he said, "Right now, I'm just looking forward to seeing how our defense plays in training camp."
    The same goes for Tambellini. If he is thinking about Commodore - who is coming off a dreadful season - he might want to get his scouts to a couple of the Jackets' exhibitions, eh?
    In any case, Souray is in a holding pattern. The Oilers might waive Souray on Saturday with the hope that he is claimed upon re-entry - and, if he is, the Oilers are off the hook (or on the hook, depending on one's perspective) for half of Souray's salary. It would be better to make a trade, though, and get something in return.
    Even if a potential deal between the Jackets and the Oilers is straight-up and neither side requires a sweetener (do they?), the matter requires a lot of thought. If you are Howson, do you take on an aging, injury-prone defenseman of questionable reputation?
    I would do it.
    Souray is a risk worth taking. If he comes aboard, he would be the best defenseman on the Jackets' roster - arguably, the best they have ever had. He says he is healthy and seeking redemption. His swagger and brashness would be welcome among a troop of Boy Scouts, in a town where season-ticket sales have tanked, on a team with a huge hole on the power play.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    By the way, how has John Moore been looking so far in camp? Anyone know?
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Huh. Just found out Filatov was assigned to the AHL again. Can't say I ever really liked the kid, but I expected he'd at least be kept in the NHL to show him off for trade.

... Then again, I guess he hadn't been showing much.
    Curse of the Hamster

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    I'd welcome Filatov in Toronto but i doubt Burke goes after him. Wilson wouldn't be the right coach for him either I suppose.

But I doubt Columbus are going to give up on him already.
    Last edited by phaneuf6; 12-11-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    I'd welcome Filatov in Toronto but i doubt Burke goes after him. Wilson wouldn't be the right coach for him either I suppose.

But I doubt Columbus are going to give up on him already.
    He's only got one more year to prove he's capable of playing at the NHL level before he's an RFA. I would not be surprised to see the Jackets use him as a chip in a trade before then.
    Curse of the Hamster

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post
    He's only got one more year to prove he's capable of playing at the NHL level before he's an RFA. I would not be surprised to see the Jackets use him as a chip in a trade before then.
    I guess so... Gilbert Brule comes to mind.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...iel-fired.html

Arniel fired. Thank God this was done before the season was lost......

Went to the Blue Jacket's season finale last night. Had to be there in case it was Nash's last game in a CBJ sweater. I was there for his first. Had a great night, all things considered. A disappointing season comes to an end. Praying for the first over pick.

Had the pleasure of meeting Freddy Modin. What a great guy:
    IMG_0082.jpg

Buster Douglas

I will never forget February 10, 1990. Our hometown boy did the impossible, beat the unbeatable, knocked out Iron Mike Tyson:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Anyone remember Ohio State linebacker great Andy Katzenmoyer? He also played in the NFL briefly with the Patriots:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Senior Member All-Star canuckthug's Avatar
    Sorry Buckeye, you guys dropped from #1 to #2. Nail will be an Oiler.

Quote Originally Posted by nineoneone View Post
    Sorry Buckeye, you guys dropped from #1 to #2. Nail will be an Oiler.
    Not sure about that. I think Edmonton would do better to trade the pick. They already have enough young star forwards. What they need is some better defense -- which there will be plenty of if they don't go too far down.
    Curse of the Hamster

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post
    Not sure about that. I think Edmonton would do better to trade the pick. They already have enough young star forwards. What they need is some better defense -- which there will be plenty of if they don't go too far down.
    +1

Might be a blessing in disguise for Columbus. They can avoid the Russian now, considering their past history with Russian picks.

Might be a blessing in disguise for Columbus. They can avoid the Russian now, considering their past history with Russian picks.
    This. Edmonton is still best to draft Yakupov though, unless they get an incredible deal to trade down.
    I don't like homer bias.

I think Edmonton deals their pick and their first 2 phone calls will be to Columbus and Montreal. Murray will be available for them at #3 and if they can swap the picks and get another asset that might be the best thing for them. They'd get Murray & an NHL ready d-man or something. Of course a Nashville trade could be interesting. The 1st for Weber or Suter, as long as they agree to sign with Edmonton.
    “They don’t hang Conference Championship banners from the rafters here” - Carey Price

10 team contract keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG HITS
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO

C - Galchenyuk, Krejci, McDavid, Bjugstad, Lindberg
    LW - Parise, Hall, Landeskog, E Kane
    RW -
    Giroux, MacKinnon, Okposo, Semin, Nyquist
    D - Leddy, Maatta, Stralman, Myers, Jones, Hamonic
    G - Rinne, Quick, Dubnyk
    IR - Bogosian

Farm:
    F - Girgensens, Matteau, Boucher, Mantha, C Brown, delaRose, Scherbak, Hayes, Barkov
    D - Beaulieu, Provorov, C. Miller
    G - Hellberg, M.McDonald, Samsonov

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    CLB should keep their 2nd overall pick and take Forsberg or Galchenyuk. Yes Galchenyuk has a Russian backround, but he was born in the US, so going to the KHL I doubt is at the top of his list.

Edmonton won't be too considered with losing out on Murray... even they don't get him they get Reilly, Dumba, etc.

Edmonton won't be too considered with losing out on Murray... even they don't get him they get Reilly, Dumba, etc.
    Agreed, top of this draft is loaded with top d-man prspects.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling if the Oilers do take a d-man, it will be Dumba. They might also like Reinhart who plays for the Edmonton Oil Kings who play right at the Rexall Centre.

Still miffed.........

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte.../untagged.html

Untagged

Posted May 15, 2012 by Shawn Mitchell | 0 comments
    The feeling-out process of coach Todd Richards ended this afternoon in feel-good fashion in Nationwide Arena, where the Blue Jackets officially removed the ‘interim’ tag from Richards’ title during a press conference on the arena concourse.
    Richards said he it was a “very happy, proud and exciting” moment for him. The former Minnesota Wild coach is ready to begin his second stint as an NHL head coach. He agreed to a two-year contract that runs through the 2013-14 season.

“I’ve compared the interim tag to being a substitute teacher,” Richards said. “You’re kind of holding down the fort that day, and sometimes the children of the class will try to take some liberties. Credit to the players, I don’t think they tried to take liberties. But there is great excitement knowing that this is my team now.”

The Blue Jackets did not formally interview any external candidates. General manager Scott Howson said he was contacted by “8-10” coaches who expressed an interest in the position. The club considered candidates currently available and those expected to soon be available and decided there was no need to pursue any external candidates.

“Really, Todd had a three-month interview and he passed it with flying colors,” Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson.

Howson was satisfied with an 18-21-2 record in the second half under Richards, who replaced Scott Arniel after 41 games. The Blue Jackets went 11-8 after March 1 and won five of their final six games. They were 14-0 when leading after two periods under Richards, a former Arniel assistant.

Would Richards still be their man had those numbers been less positive?

“(That is) a difficult question to answer,” Howson said. “I think given the circumstances of where the club was (a fragile 11-25-5 under Arniel), I was really looking to see how competitive we were going to be. With the players that we lost during the time that he coached, you’re just looking to see how we competed. The good news is that when you compete really well you have success. That’s what happened here.”

And so Richards, 45, enters the 2012-13 season with confidence, and not necessarily surprised that he is back behind the bench as an NHL head coach so soon after being fired by Minnesota last year.

“I’m not perfect,” Richards said. “There is still room for improvement. The things I went through in Minnesota, I learned from. There is always a wealth of up and coming coaches, but going back to last season, the circumstances, it led me to be confident in how I performed as a head coach.”

Richards said he approached the offseason under the assumption that he would be back with the Blue Jackets. He has spent the past few weeks watching playoff hockey. It has been an adrenaline boost.

“I’m enjoying watching the games,” Richards said. “The playoffs have been tremendous. Where you are chomping at the bit is watching those games, wanting to be a part of it. That’s what really gets me going, gets the blood flowing. That’s what I want to be a part of.”

Howson and senior advisor Craig Patrick said they monitored Richards closely in the second half. They liked what they saw, of course. Winger R.J. Umberger did, too.

Umberger and winger Vinny Prospal attended today’s press conference. The Blue Jackets provided written comments from other five other players, as well. Umberger said the second half was not to be disregarded because of the meaninglessness of the games.

“It was the level of commitment he got from our players and the level of competiveness we had,” Umberger said of Richards. “I have a lot of respect for coach Arniel but a fresh face was really good for us. (Richards) gets you to work hard but you don’t realize you are working hard because you’re having so much fun doing it. That’s a key difference.

“The great thing with (Richards) is that he is demanding but he cares about his players and not just how they’re performing on the ice. He made a huge effort in wanting to know guys, knowing about their families, We’d call a player up (from Springfield) and in front of the group he would welcome them in. If somebody scored their 100th goal or whatever, he’d congratulate them. That has nothing to do with winning, but it has something to do with building a culture that we’re family, that we care about each other. That was a huge thing he brought to our team.”

Prospal was pleased that the decision was made so early in the offseason.

“The hockey season, sure it’s over for us, but it’s not over around the league,” Prospal said. “They could have been waiting for a long time for somebody else but I really like the continuity in this whole process. This way, it’s a lot easier.”

Side dishes
    --Former coach and Jack Adams Award finalist Ken Hitchcock, fresh off a fantastic season with the Blues, was in town tying up loose ends today. He was spotted having a chat with Blue Jackets president Mike Priest in the arena’s Tim Hortons.

--Richards said he has made no decisions regarding his coaching staff. “Nothing has been done or decided but it will be something that I will look at in the next week to two weeks,” he said.

-- Richards is not a screamer, nor is he a mumbler. In fact, he can be downright vanilla at times. But Prospal said none of that matters as long as the system is sound. “He’s got his way that he is coaching and teaching,” Prospal said. “Everybody is different. I’ve played for quiet coaches and vocal coaches. Todd has a structure, accountability, a system. It all starts in the practices. Then when you get (to the games), then you can be a little vanilla. Sure, you have coaches that put more emphasis on something else, but Todd is this way. We know we all have to earn our ice time. I wasn’t here long enough to know how it was the year before and know how much has changed. But you could clearly see the differences in the practices when Todd was the head coach. I don’t know why. We all should professional no matter who runs the practice, you should always put more than 100 percent out there.

--Howson brushed aside a question about the status of captain Rick Nash, who asked for a trade this winter. Richards said he was preparing for the season under the assumption that Nash and every other player on the roster would be back next year, although he acknowledged that some major changes will likely occur on draft day and beyond. But he said his tenure as head coach should have a much smoother beginning than his stint as interim coach. “It should be easier when you go from the start with these guys. Having training camp to prepare, it should be easier.”

--Richards doesn’t expect to implement any major systemic or stylistic changes, but “a lot of times identity is created by the personnel that you have and the commitment of the players to play a certain way,” he said. “Hopefully that will be decided by October. We have a pretty clear idea as a staff (of what we want) and hopefully we can relay that on to the players.”

"The Blue Jackets did not formally interview any external candidates."

Wow.

Just wow......

This guys hits the nail right on the head:
    http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...o-rejoice.html

The news that Blue Jackets interim coach Todd Richards was having the interim tag removed from his title was first posted on Dispatch.com yesterday morning. Accompanying the story was a file photo of Richards, shown standing behind the bench, wearing a placid look on his face, his hands in his pockets. Behind him, there is a woman in the stands — and she is yawning large.

That about covers it.

The Blue Jackets are in desperate need of a cultural shakeup. With Richards, they took the safe route and maintained the status quo. Yawwwn. The fans have moved beyond angst to ennui, and this latest move is not going to shake them out of it.

The fans endured a 30th-place finish in a 30-team league, and at midseason, a few hundred of them staged a protest in an effort to get the front office swept clean. The effort was for naught. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. And say hello, again, to Richards, who was reintroduced at a news conference on the main concourse of Nationwide Arena yesterday afternoon. He is the Blue Jackets’ sixth full-time coach in 12 years.
    Dave King and Ger
    ard Gallant were hired during the Doug MacLean administration, and neither had a winning season. In between, MacLean coached at the behest of late owner John H. McConnell, an experiment that lasted less than a full season.

McConnell himself hired Ken Hitchcock in 2006, and under Hitch, the Jackets experienced their only winning season and made their lone playoff appearance in 2009. General manager Scott Howson fired Hitchcock in 2010 because the coach had lost the players, particularly the younger ones.

At the time, team president Mike Priest said: “You can’t get around the fact that this club has underperformed. … Nobody wants to see Hitch go. He’s a good, good man. But it was time.”

Enter Scott Arniel, who was selected over Kevin Dineen, Paul MacLean and another interim, Claude Noel, 23 months ago. Arniel promised an up-tempo style and was touted as someone who could reach the younger players, the core of the team. Arniel lasted exactly 11/2 seasons and had a record of 45-60-18.

“He did everything he could,” Howson said in January. “He’s a good coach. He’s a good person. He worked very hard at it. The team was prepared. It just didn’t work for him with this group.”

This time around, no search was conducted. Howson said he was contacted by eight to 10 candidates who were interested in the job, and he told them that he would call back if he was interested.
    “It never got to that point,” Howson said yesterday. “We kept coming back to Todd as the right person.”

We can believe Howson is sincere, but can we trust that he is right?
    Richards had a mediocre record (77-71-16) in his two seasons behind the Minnesota Wild bench. He had a middling record (18-21-2) as the Blue Jackets’ interim coach. He is a good person and maybe even a good coach, but where have we heard that before? His personality is not exactly dynamic, and his hire does not inspire. That is the rub.

One would think the Blue Jackets might have considered getting someone who would at least light a fire on the bench and in the locker room, someone with a track record — perhaps Michel Therrien, or Mike Keenan, or Ron Wilson — someone who could alter a longstanding culture.
    That is the Blue Jackets’ problem — it is cultural. The franchise needs a good shake, but owner John P. McConnell is sticking with his man Priest, and they are sticking with Howson — who made a major mistake with the Arniel hire and now presents Richards.

Maybe this will all work out. Maybe the Blue Jackets trade Rick Nash for a lode of talent, find a goaltender and use the No. 2 overall draft pick to get an NHL-ready star-to-be, and maybe Richards makes it all work. It is possible. Besides, they are overdue for any bit of dumb luck.

Is that what they are selling?

Is anyone buying?

Thoughts on Ryan Murray. Is he NHL ready? Where does he fit with Wiz, Jack Johnson, Tyutin, Methot, Nikitin, etc.?

I've heard he'll be on their roster next year. He's ready.

I like your pick of Dansk in the second round.

think he's ready and would probably see sheltered minutes to start but end up 2nd pairing. Maybe 2nd PP but probably more as a defensive defenseman like Hedman to start. As long as Johnson/Wiz don't play together you've still improved!
    I don't like homer bias.

I know the Jackets think Moore is ready at this point, too. It may come down to Moore and Murray fighting for a spot.
    Curse of the Hamster

I think Murray goes back to Jr for one more season.

I just realized this and found it a little surprising. The Foligno brothers (both dual-citizens) actually play for different national teams. Nick plays for USA while Marcus plays for Canada.
    Curse of the Hamster

Thread Information