Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar

Kansas City Chiefs

No football story...

Quote Originally Posted by KCChiefs.com

Last Thursday, while dining with his wife and child at a restaurant in Huntington Beach, CA, Kansas City Chiefs TE Tony Gonzalez helped a man who was choking and saved his life according to the man.
    When another diner, Ken Hunter, started to choke and nobody did anything to help, Gonzalez rushed to the man's aid, performing the Heimlich Maneuver. "I just did what my natural instincts told me to do, help someone in need. I couldn't just sit there and do nothing. The man was in distress and he needed help quickly," Gonzalez said.

The man who was choking said he will be "forever grateful" to Tony and will now be rooting for him and his team in the upcoming season?. "Me and my girlfriend couldn't thank him enough, he saved my life"?.
    But a nice story all the same! Way to go T-Gonz!
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

PM me for price quotes for signature space.

Because kickers need lovin' too...

Quote Originally Posted by kansascity.com

The Chiefs on Monday took a new step toward ending Herm Edwards' disappointment with the team's kicking, when Kansas City signed former Miami kicker Jay Feely.
    Feely signed a one-year contract. Other terms weren't immediately available.

Feely's signing puts serious doubts the Chiefs will retain one of their young kickers, either rookie Connor Barth or three-year veteran Nick Novak. Both were 2-for-3 so far this preseason, each of their misses coming from 48 yards.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    Because kickers need lovin' too...
    Snip Snip.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=2476...headlines_main

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCity.com
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—Kicker Jay Feely has been cut by the Kansas City Chiefs, a day after signing a one-year deal.
    Feely was an eight-year veteran who kicked for Miami last season. He was brought in to challenge Connor Barth and Nick Novak for the starting job.
    The three had what coach Herm Edwards called a “kick off” on Monday and Tuesday to determine who would make the team.
    Chiefs president Carl Peterson announced Feely’s release on Wednesday. That leaves 76 players on the roster.
    Those kickers that need lovin' too... Well just got hated on! One day and gone!

Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    Those kickers that need lovin' too... Well just got hated on! One day and gone!
    Beat you.

Here....because kickers need lovin' too...

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas City Star
    The Kansas City Chiefs will have Nick Novak as their kicker when they open the regular season at New England. The Chiefs informed Novak today and told rookie Connor Barth today that they would be placing him on waivers, ending the camp-long battle between the two players.
    And because Fly likes all the updates!

Get Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel from the Pats for: A SECOND ROUND PICK.

Glenn Dorsey to play at 3-4 NT. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...y/1106883.html

This is a complete waste, I really have to question the decisions of these former Pats. You just can't snap your fingers and re-create New England's success.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Glenn Dorsey to play at 3-4 NT. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...y/1106883.html

This is a complete waste, I really have to question the decisions of these former Pats. You just can't snap your fingers and re-create New England's success.
    I agree, it is pretty cheese....very cookie-cutter lame

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    I agree, it is pretty cheese....very cookie-cutter lame
    Its funny how fast we forget the potential talent. Just last year experts were calling Dorsey the best DT prospect to come out in the last 20 years. They used him wrong in the Tampa 2 and now wrong as a NT. What are they going to do with Tamba Hali?

If your going to cook you are limited to what you have in the fridge. The Chiefs are pretty committed to 4-3 defensive players. Embrace it, make it work. 3-4 is such a trend these days, but only the Pats and Steelers do it well. Nobody is scared of Miami or Dallas' 3-4 defense. What ever happened to the idea of putting your best players in the best position to succeed?

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    I think that was an unfair shot at Pioli. Over the last 8 years or so he's been arguably the best GM/Player Personnel guy in the league. He's already made one significant move by trading a 2nd rounder for Cassel who they'll end up giving half the guaranteed money ($30 million) that either Stafford or Sanchez would have cost them($60 million) at the #3 spot.

If Dorsey was being touted as the best DT to come out in the last 20 years, then why couldn't he become a premier NT in a 3-4? I guess I dont see that position as being a waste and he'd be the one candidate on that roster talented enough to anchor and make the whole 3-4 work.

With 33 million under the cap when he took over, Pioli's got the resources to find the right pieces and theres no doubt in my mind he'll turn K.C around soon. Great eye for talent, especially cheap talent.

Dorsey should be collapsing the pocket not clogging the middle. He is barely big enough to play nose, but that is simply not a good use of his talents. His contract makes him difficult to trade for a year or two. Ride it out and find a scheme that uses his talents like his days at LSU. Hali now has to lose weight and change to a linebacker. The Chiefs had a brilliant draft last year with some key defensive additions. It just seems rather smug to blow that up.

And what is the major difference between Cassel and Thigpen?

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar

Ill guess....salary? I know you probably mean talent/skill wise and I dont know what Thigpen earns...... I just figure its less than the mentioned 30 million.
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Dorsey should be collapsing the pocket not clogging the middle. He is barely big enough to play nose, but that is simply not a good use of his talents. His contract makes him difficult to trade for a year or two. Ride it out and find a scheme that uses his talents like his days at LSU. Hali now has to lose weight and change to a linebacker. The Chiefs had a brilliant draft last year with some key defensive additions. It just seems rather smug to blow that up.

I agree and wondered why they made the move for Cassel - yes, Thigpen is unproven....but so is Cassel!

PS: also agree Dorsey is borderline size-wise to play NT...and like you said, after yrs of stocking up good DEF players, why change it all of a sudden. Tomlin didn't change to his scheme and look where it got PIT!

Cassel's "unproven" body of work outweighs Thigpen's because we can only go by what we saw last year with Cassel's 15 starts vs Thigpens 11 starts.

1..Cassel went 10-5 to Thigpens 1-10 (yes, the Pats were better but still)

2..Completion %, TD to INT, passer rating all go to Cassel's side. On top of the Pats leading the league in 1st downs which correlates directly to the head of the QB. Bad weather? check Cassel's numbers vs the Jets and Cards at home and Oakland on the road last year in rain and snow games. Arm strength? Cassel over Brady anyways.

3..Cassel got considerably better as the year went on, to the point that a minority of Pats fans still believe the Pats should have kept Cassel and waived Brady (I'm not one of them) while Thigpen finished up poorly with 2 clunkers vs Miami 20-41 3 INT's and 19-36 vs the Bengals. Many of Thigpen's TD's and yards were garbage time stats too.

Thats 2 intelligent football guys going after Cassel during this offseason that have been closely around the guy for around 5 years (Pioli and McDaniels) So what does that tell you? Are those 2 guys suddenly morons? Well, maybe McDaniels is for Cassel over Cutler but not Pioli for going with Cassel over Thigpen and his garbage 55% completion percentage, which doesn't translate well to winning in the NFL.

Matt Cassel compares favorably to Matt Schaub was when he left the Falcons. The only difference is Cassel's regular season body of work trumps Schaubs' preseason success in Atlanta. And look what became of Schaub...a top 10 finish amongst QB's in 2008.

I think a lot of those statistics you use speak more directly to the System in place than the actual player. Again a credit to Belichick and what he does there. Drafting intelligent players like Brady, Cassel and now McConnell to come in with little pressure and learn what they do. They caught lightning in a bottle with Brady and got a guy as clutch as Montana. But Cassel is nowhere close and has holes in his game that will keep him from being a franchise quarterback. That does not mean he can't be a starter in the league provided the system fits. There was a good anaylsis of that here http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...=tsn&type=lgns

Basically they hid his weaknesses and it allowed him to succeed. KC does not have that talent level. It reminds me a lot of Scott Mitchell when he took over for Marino and got a fat contract from the Lions. On the upside they got a good deal for their guy, only having to give a 2nd. for a guy with a franchise tender.

As far as two "smart" guys going after Cassel, that is really the crux of the issue. Both are going to turn out either genius or like Crennel, Weis and Mangini expecting something that is tough to re-create. Thats what I'm trying to figure out, and so far I'm not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipes16 View Post
    Cassel's "unproven" body of work outweighs Thigpen's because we can only go by what we saw last year with Cassel's 15 starts vs Thigpens 11 starts.

1..Cassel went 10-5 to Thigpens 1-10 (yes, the Pats were better but still)

2..Completion %, TD to INT, passer rating all go to Cassel's side. On top of the Pats leading the league in 1st downs which correlates directly to the head of the QB. Bad weather? check Cassel's numbers vs the Jets and Cards at home and Oakland on the road last year in rain and snow games. Arm strength? Cassel over Brady anyways.

3..Cassel got considerably better as the year went on, to the point that a minority of Pats fans still believe the Pats should have kept Cassel and waived Brady (I'm not one of them) while Thigpen finished up poorly with 2 clunkers vs Miami 20-41 3 INT's and 19-36 vs the Bengals. Many of Thigpen's TD's and yards were garbage time stats too.

Thats 2 intelligent football guys going after Cassel during this offseason that have been closely around the guy for around 5 years (Pioli and McDaniels) So what does that tell you? Are those 2 guys suddenly morons? Well, maybe McDaniels is for Cassel over Cutler but not Pioli for going with Cassel over Thigpen and his garbage 55% completion percentage, which doesn't translate well to winning in the NFL.

Matt Cassel compares favorably to Matt Schaub was when he left the Falcons. The only difference is Cassel's regular season body of work trumps Schaubs' preseason success in Atlanta. And look what became of Schaub...a top 10 finish amongst QB's in 2008.
    And all this makes Cassel worth $15mm over the cheap contract of Thigpen?

Maybe Cassel is going to be awesome, who knows, but I would be loath to give up a high 2nd (like a late 1st...without the guaranteed contract) and then pay the guys $15mm/yr...especially seeing as he had never been a starter at the collegiate or professional level until Brady got hurt.

PS: comparing Cassel (Pats) vs. Thigpen (Chiefs) is unfair in my eyes.....but either way, $15mm!
    Last edited by b_illin; 03-26-2009 at 02:51 PM.

Bill, once KC traded for him, the goal is to ink him with a long term deal and remove the franchise tag and 15 million dollar cap hit. He'll still get his 30+ million in signing bonuses but it will get spread out so the Chiefs aren't strangled up against the cap.

But going back to last years Pats preseason, most Pats fans were calling for Cassel to be waived prior to the opener because he was horrendous (myself included) So I was one of the 1st to jump ship once Brady got hurt and Cassel's play in those 1st few September games...running up his O Lines asses at the first sign of pressure made me cringe.

But, the Cassel I saw in Nov - Dec was a 180 degree change. He started looking downfield and I dont know if the game slowed down for him or what but he looked like a damn good QB in my view over those last 8 weeks and he completely won me over.

Spartan, I can understand comparing McDaniels to the struggles of Romeo, Mangini and Weis but comparing Pioli to those 3 guys is like apples and oranges. 2 completely different lines of work. Nobody has done a better job of managing a teams salary cap better than Pioli has during this decade and its not even close for 2nd. With the Chiefs cap flexibility, he'll find the pieces to make the 3-4 work. Heck, he might even trade down to #6 and grab Crabtree to pair with Bowe and then they'd really have something to go along with Cassel.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    I think that was an unfair shot at Pioli. Over the last 8 years or so he's been arguably the best GM/Player Personnel guy in the league. He's already made one significant move by trading a 2nd rounder for Cassel who they'll end up giving half the guaranteed money ($30 million) that either Stafford or Sanchez would have cost them($60 million) at the #3 spot.

If Dorsey was being touted as the best DT to come out in the last 20 years, then why couldn't he become a premier NT in a 3-4? I guess I dont see that position as being a waste and he'd be the one candidate on that roster talented enough to anchor and make the whole 3-4 work.

With 33 million under the cap when he took over, Pioli's got the resources to find the right pieces and theres no doubt in my mind he'll turn K.C around soon. Great eye for talent, especially cheap talent.
    It might work but there is a big difference between playing NT and playing any other position on the line.

I understand your point but where are you getting the $60M number?? That's way too high.

Criticizing the Belichick tree is becoming very popular lately. I think that it is warranted as well. Pioli has made a ton of great moves over the years but he was part of a well-oiled machine. At first thought, I can't really think of anyone that has left and had success.

The main differences are that Cassel played in the spotlight of Brady's team and Thigpen played on a terrible KC team. NE also had the coaching staff to protect Cassel while KC didn't have the same for Thigpen. They are both decent QB's.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    It might work but there is a big difference between playing NT and playing any other position on the line.

From what I read, the Chiefs plan on experimenting with Dorsey at NT but nothing is etched in stone. Although its hard to argue that he's not undersized for that position. I was also surprised to see that Dorsey only had 1 sack over his 16 games last year. Maybe that has something to do with them experimenting with him at the nose?

I understand your point but where are you getting the $60M number?? That's way too high.

Yeah, the math was a little sketchy. Ryan signed for 6 years - 72 million of which 34.75 million was guaranteed

Criticizing the Belichick tree is becoming very popular lately. I think that it is warranted as well. Pioli has made a ton of great moves over the years but he was part of a well-oiled machine. At first thought, I can't really think of anyone that has left and had success.

You could say the same about the players that have left New England for bigger dough as well.

The main differences are that Cassel played in the spotlight of Brady's team and Thigpen played on a terrible KC team. NE also had the coaching staff to protect Cassel while KC didn't have the same for Thigpen. They are both decent QB's.
    I'd take either Cassel or Thigpen over Sage Rosenfels in Minny or Jake Delhomme in Carolina. Those 2 playoff ready teams are soft as shit for going with those 2 tomato cans. Carolina's looking to extend Jake? can you believe that

I'd take either Cassel or Thigpen over Sage Rosenfels in Minny or Jake Delhomme in Carolina. Those 2 playoff ready teams are soft as shit for going with those 2 tomato cans. Carolina's looking to extend Jake? can you believe that
    jeez, that post turned out ugly...not the brightest crayon in the computer skills box.

Things are starting to look up for us Chiefs fans.

Matt Ryan went 3rd last year and was $32mil. guaranteed and $72mil. overall, $60 million is low if anything. I guess it really depends on the extension they work out with Cassel, I would wait until that number is revealed before I make up my mind on the value of that deal. If it works out to be similar to what Sanchez would have signed for (assuming Stafford goes to Detroit) then it was a wasted move IMO. They would have been better off in the long run to take Sanchez and play Thigpen another year or two and develop his value.

Snipes, I highly doubt they trade down. No one wants a top 3 pick because of the contract. They will probably go with Aaron Curry to play inside linebacker. I would take a left tackle there, money wise it makes the most sense. You're right though Crabtree would be an intriguing pick but I'm not sure its the smartest thing to do.

You are a Pats fan. I know you know what a 3-4 NT is. Dorsey is not even CLOSE to being a big. It isn't a position based on talent soley, you have to be a monster. Dorsey might be a good 3-4 D-end.

Matt Ryan went 3rd last year and was $32mil. guaranteed and $72mil. overall, $60 million is low if anything. I guess it really depends on the extension they work out with Cassel, I would wait until that number is revealed before I make up my mind on the value of that deal. If it works out to be similar to what Sanchez would have signed for (assuming Stafford goes to Detroit) then it was a wasted move IMO. They would have been better off in the long run to take Sanchez and play Thigpen another year or two and develop his value.

Snipes, I highly doubt they trade down. No one wants a top 3 pick because of the contract. They will probably go with Aaron Curry to play inside linebacker. I would take a left tackle there, money wise it makes the most sense. You're right though Crabtree would be an intriguing pick but I'm not sure its the smartest thing to do.
    You mentioned guaranteed money. No way that Stafford or Sanchez comes close to $60M in guaranteed money.

You mentioned guaranteed money. No way that Stafford or Sanchez comes close to $60M in guaranteed money.
    If he was talking guaranteed then you're right it's closer to $30 million.

Bill, once KC traded for him, the goal is to ink him with a long term deal and remove the franchise tag and 15 million dollar cap hit. He'll still get his 30+ million in signing bonuses but it will get spread out so the Chiefs aren't strangled up against the cap.

But going back to last years Pats preseason, most Pats fans were calling for Cassel to be waived prior to the opener because he was horrendous (myself included) So I was one of the 1st to jump ship once Brady got hurt and Cassel's play in those 1st few September games...running up his O Lines asses at the first sign of pressure made me cringe.

But, the Cassel I saw in Nov - Dec was a 180 degree change. He started looking downfield and I dont know if the game slowed down for him or what but he looked like a damn good QB in my view over those last 8 weeks and he completely won me over.

Spartan, I can understand comparing McDaniels to the struggles of Romeo, Mangini and Weis but comparing Pioli to those 3 guys is like apples and oranges. 2 completely different lines of work. Nobody has done a better job of managing a teams salary cap better than Pioli has during this decade and its not even close for 2nd. With the Chiefs cap flexibility, he'll find the pieces to make the 3-4 work. Heck, he might even trade down to #6 and grab Crabtree to pair with Bowe and then they'd really have something to go along with Cassel.
    Hey, if Cassel can keep playing at that level, awesome....I don't like him nor do I dislike him. I just don't think he's done enough to warrant that huge contract and all the hype he's gotten and continues to get. The NFL is littered with one-hit wonders...

Matt Cassel extends 6yrs. $36 million guaranteed. Wow just wow.

Matt Cassel extends 6yrs. $36 million guaranteed. Wow just wow.
    If Stafford can come in as a rookie and get more than that guaranteed, I don't see an issue with Cassel getting that much. Cassel has shown that he has the ability to lead an NFL team. Sure, it's a limited sample size but he has shown that he can do it. Stafford hasn't proven shit.

If Stafford can come in as a rookie and get more than that guaranteed, I don't see an issue with Cassel getting that much. Cassel has shown that he has the ability to lead an NFL team. Sure, it's a limited sample size but he has shown that he can do it. Stafford hasn't proven shit.
    System QB versus franchise prospect, huge difference. But I already know your feelings on Cassel so we can agree to disagree.

Thread Information