Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4787959697
Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 2910
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Team Canada has already made 4 cuts for the World Jr's. Always feel bad for the kids who get cut back to back years. Nick Merkley was cut for the 2nd year in a row last night. I thought Mete might have got a longer look. He's just 18 so he can try again next season. Final cuts could be made tonight. In Canada again this year so good start times.

Petes go into the Christmas break on an 8 game winning streak. Best they've looked since winning the OHL Championship in 2006. Their depth is really paying off so far this season. I'd still like to see them add at the trade deadline. Someone like Mitchell Stephens who will be playing for Canada at the World Jr's would be a nice add. Helps he's from Peterborough. Also helps they have Dylan Wells in net. If he's not the best goalie in the OHL he's close. I won't be surprised if he's one of the two goalie next year for Canada at the World Jr's.

Speaking of the World Jr's they start a week today.

So the U.S cut DeBrincat and Brown? Crazy just crazy.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    So the U.S cut DeBrincat and Brown? Crazy just crazy.
    Yeah, it appears Colin White will be the only returning forward from last year, too. I can only assume USA was worried about Brown's wrist injury. DeBrincat had a rough tournament last year, which may have hurt his evaluation -- USA was already of the opinion he needed to be on the top line or nowhere, it seems. Bracco is rumored to have been thought of the same way -- it may have come down to choosing between them like it seemed to last year. Team USA's management just can't seem to shake their reputation for favoring grit over scoring.
    Last edited by Hamsterkill; 12-22-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

If this was Canada doing this there would be a riot.

I must say it's rather frustrating that Canada is taking 2/3 of Erie's top line and USA had the option to take the third who happens to have the most goals and was like "Nah, we're good."
    Curse of the Hamster

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    Who is in charge of choosing the US roster? Brian Burke?

It always seems like they like to cut the kids who play in the CHL more than the others.. I don't think they like them leaving their program.

It always seems like they like to cut the kids who play in the CHL more than the others.. I don't think they like them leaving their program.
    They do seem to prefer NTDP kids, but it's not just the CHL they make weird cuts from. Last year, Kyle Connor and Alex Tuch (both NCAA) were the surprising absences (along with Bracco).
    Curse of the Hamster

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    NM, sorry.
    Last edited by chgorman; 12-22-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Denmark beating Finland has to be one of the biggest upsets in World Jr history. Finland is now 0-2 and plays Sweden who might just be the best team this year at the World Jr's. Rough start for the team who won gold last year. They might not even get to play in the medal round.

Man I love the way Barzal plays. He's been great for Canada in the first two games.

Wow was that an ugly crowd in Montreal last night for the Canada game. They were lucky if there was 10,000 at that game. They went back to Toronto, Montreal to soon after they both just hosted this tourney two years ago. Ticket prices aren't helping either.

I hope I'm wrong and I will gladly take being wrong, but I don't like Canada's chances vs Sweden in the Semi's if they play the way they have been.

Canada stepped up big time.

U.S. Vs Canada for Gold.

Congrats to the U.S. on winning Gold. I didn't like some of the cuts they made before the tournament but they worked out just fine.

I said this before the shootout, so before either team won....it's a joke that such a great game by both teams had to end via the shootout. The IIHF needs to change that at every level.

Chabot is now a top 10 player ever for Canada at the World Jr's IMO. He played 44 mins last night after playing 30 mins the night before. To bad he's a Sens prospect

Flood gates should open now on OHL trades before the deadline on Tuesday. Sounds like Cirelli might be going to Erie. I think Stephens will be on the move as well. Petes who are having their best season in 10 years finally made a big move last week getting Leafs prospect Korostelev and d-man Black from Sarnia. They might not be done either. I'm holding out hope they go after Stephens. He's from town and I think he would be perfect on this team.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    I agree....the whole tourney comes down to one slip of the puck in the shootout, not a fan. It has worked in Canada's favour before but i would prefer they play it out. Some great hockey in this one
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

I think the US were a little lucky to to have that game go past regulation with all the unnecessary penalties they were taking. Chabot was amazing.
    Curse of the Hamster

Some trades in the OHL are happening with the O/A deadline today at noon and for everyone else tomorrow at noon. Oshawa just sent Cirelli to Erie for McShane + picks. They are also rumored to be trading Vonde Sompel to London for Blacker + picks.

Erie is stacked up front now with Cirelli to go along with D. Strome, Raddysh, DeBrincat, Foegele. Strome, Foegele and Cirelli are three of the best faceoff men in the OHL. Cirelli will be teammates again with Strome and Raddysh after they all just played for Canada at the World Jr's.

Oshawa sure got the most out of Cirelli. He was a walk on just a few years ago after he was passed over in the OHL draft two different years. Then the year he walked on with Oshawa he scored the winning goal that won them the Memorial Cup. Now they turned him into McShane + a ton of picks. Not bad.
    Last edited by two24four; 01-09-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Erie's really going for it this year with definitely Strome and probably DeBrincat moving on to the pros next year with both of them eligible for AHL duty. Foegele, too, it looks like.
    Curse of the Hamster

Wow what a day for trades in the OHL so far.

Cirelli to Erie for McShane + Picks.
    Vande Somple to London for Blacker + picks.
    Stephens to London for four 2nd round picks. (How they made this trade without giving anyone up I have no idea)
    Bracco to Windsor for Carter, Burns + Picks. (One of the picks in this trade is for 2025. haha)
    London also traded for Salituro from the 67's who has been playing pro this season.
    Paquette to Petes for four 2nd's plus a goalie prospect.
    Petes traded Clarke to Flint for a 2nd and 3rd.

OHL trade deadline isn't till noon tomorrow. Wonder how many more trades might happen.
    Last edited by two24four; 01-09-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Ill get a chance to check out Bracco next week.
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Enjoy it. He's the best playmaker in the OHL right now. Leafs need to get him signed.

So DeBrincat has got to 50+ goals for the 3rd season in a row. He's just the 2nd OHL'er ever to score 50 goals three times. I've been watching the OHL since the late 80's early 90's, he has one of the best shots I've seen in Jr. Right up their with Tavares. Not saying he's Tavares, just his shot.

I said it when they drafted him in the 2nd round, the Blackhawks got a steal when they drafted DeBrincat. I could see him playing for them in the next year or two. The way they move players around for the cap he could be playing on one of their top lines sooner rather than later. He's only 5'7 but that means nothing in the NHL anymore. He's also no afraid to mix it up. If he was 6'0+ he would have been drafted in the 1st round.

So DeBrincat has got to 50+ goals for the 3rd season in a row. He's just the 2nd OHL'er ever to score 50 goals three times. I've been watching the OHL since the late 80's early 90's, he has one of the best shots I've seen in Jr. Right up their with Tavares. Not saying he's Tavares, just his shot.

I said it when they drafted him in the 2nd round, the Blackhawks got a steal when they drafted DeBrincat. I could see him playing for them in the next year or two. The way they move players around for the cap he could be playing on one of their top lines sooner rather than later. He's only 5'7 but that means nothing in the NHL anymore. He's also no afraid to mix it up. If he was 6'0+ he would have been drafted in the 1st round.
    If he was 6'+, he probably would have been a lottery pick. This is his third straight season of 100+ points, as well. Most likely his last, though, since he's AHL-eligible next season due to a late birthday.
    Curse of the Hamster

Yeah I agree he most likely would have been a lottery pick if he was taller. We'll never know, but I would guess he would have went in the 5-10 range. When he fell out of the 1st round I was hoping the Leafs were going to take him with the 1st pick in round 2. Blackhawks didn't have a 1st so they must have been more than happy when he got to them at 39th.

I doubt he's back in Jr next season. At the very least I would think he will be in the AHL and one of the Hawks 1st call ups if needed. If he doesn't make the team out of camp.

Petes win last night means they are 1st in the East with 75 Pts with 11 games left in the season. Oshawa is two points back with a game in hand. They play vs each other Sunday. Next closest teams in the East are Missy and Hamilton with 63 Pts. This is the latest in the season the Petes have been in first in 11 years which is the last time they won the OHL Championship.

The east will be tough to get out of, but whoever does make it to the OHL Championship will have a tough matchup vs likely one of Erie, London, SSM, Owen Sound, Windsor. If it's Windsor that will mean the winner from the east will get a trip to the Memorial Cup no matter what seeing as Windsor is the host this year.

I feel older and older every year when I see who's on the top prospects list for the upcoming OHL draft. This year it's Todd Bertuzzi's son Tag and Wayne Primeau's son Mason. Both are ranked in the 1st round. From the sounds of it Tag is a beast and should go early. Todd played for Guelph in the early 90's and they will have the 2nd overall pick, maybe they take him.

The Petes clinched 1st in the Eastern Conference going into the playoffs for the first time since 2006. Lot's of 7th/8th place finishes or no playoffs at all in between those years. Been a long time coming. Real season starts next week.

The West is going to be a beast in the playoffs. 5 teams over in the West have 40+ wins. At least one of them will be going home in the 1st round in the 4 vs 5 matchup. The East only has one 40+ winner which is the Petes. Oshawa has 39 wins with two games left.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    I feel older and older every year when I see who's on the top prospects list for the upcoming OHL draft. This year it's Todd Bertuzzi's son Tag and Wayne Primeau's son Mason. Both are ranked in the 1st round. From the sounds of it Tag is a beast and should go early. Todd played for Guelph in the early 90's and they will have the 2nd overall pick, maybe they take him.
    Tag is going to be awesome. Hopefully Guelph can turn things around. I brought a Russian kid over there this year and his adjustment to the North America game, combined with how bad Guelph were defensively and in goal, have led to his draft stock absolutely plummeting. He was top 15 to start the year and now will be lucky to go in rounds 5-7.

Damn not good. Maybe some team will like him sooner. This is a draft where no one seems to know what round some players will go in.

Playoffs start Thurdsay. Niagara plays the Petes in round 1.

I know only few people come in this thread but I'm going to make my 1st round OHL playoff picks.

West.

1. Erie vs 8. Sarnia. Erie in 4. This would be the upset of all upsets if Sarnia won this series.
    2. SSM vs 7. Flint. SSM in 5.
    3. Owen Sound vs 6. Kitchener. Owen Sound in 5.
    4. London vs 5. Windsor. London in 7. This should be the best series in round 1. Crazy one of them won't be playing in round two. Both would be the 1 seed in the East. Windsor is hosting the Memorial Cup so it would be about a month and a bit of not playing real games if this lose in round 1.

East.

1. Peterborough vs 8. Niagara. Petes in 6. Been awhile since the Petes were ranked 1st in the East. Hopefully they can use it to their advantage.
    2. Missy vs 7. Ottawa. Missy in 6.
    3. Oshawa vs 6. Sudbury. Oshawa in 7. Won`t be shocked if Sudbury won this series though. Oshawa has to find a way to stop Sokolov.
    4. Kingston vs 5. Hamilton. Hamilton in 6.
    Last edited by two24four; Yesterday at 10:43 AM.

Thread Information