Page 1 of 99 1231151 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar

Jr hockey thread

Thought I would get this thread going seeing as a few of us follow Jr hockey, that way some people here can also keep tabs on players drafted by your team.....

Well today is the CHL Import draft.

Sudbury (OHL) took Nikita Filatov with the 1st overall pick, them seem to think he will play one year of Jr over here in N/A to get used to our style of game.

The top 3 picks where all from Russia, Filatov like I said above, then Dmitry Kulikov who can be drafted next season into the NHL went to the Drummondville Voltigeurs of the QMJHL, and 3rd was Maxim Trunev who was just drafted by MTL this past Friday night, he went to the Portland Winter Hawks of the WHL.

Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL) took Vyateslav Voinov who was drafted by LA 5th, Windsor Spitfires took Andrei Loktionov who was drafted by LA as well 7th, Prince George Cougars drafted Jerome Flaake 9th who was just drafted by the Leafs, then Windsor was up again at 10th overall and they took a kid by the name of Richard Panik who is rated to go top 10 in next seasons NHL draft, he had said he would only go to a WHL team though, he must have had a change of a heart, I dont blame him though, Windsor is the early fav to win the OHL this season coming up.

I will up date some more picks as the day goes on, this draft is a LONG one.

Prince Albert Raiders just drafted Tomas Kundratek who was drafted by the NYR.

Rimouski Oceanic just drafted Luca Cunti who is drafted by T-Bay.

Quebec Remparts drafted Dmitri Kugryshev 26th overall, he's drafted by Washington.

Sudbury drafted a kid by the name of Sergei Sheleg 22nd overall, he's a D-man, he's from Belerus and is 6'5 202lbs, he was rated as the 76th ranked European for last weeks NHL draft but was not taken, maybe this will help him get drafted next season, scouting report on him says, "Sheleg is a smooth skater who can make a solid outlet pass and can quarterback the powerplay."

Moose Jaw Warriors just drafted Maxim Mayorov who was drafted by Columbus in last years draft.

Full-Time hockey maniac All-Star Hawkeye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Moose Jaw Warriors just drafted Maxim Mayorov who was drafted by Columbus in last years draft.
    I picked him last year in that simulated league of mine... He was ranked the #2 or #3 russian last year behind Cherepanov but he slipped all the way to the 4th round... haven't heard much of him since

Unsung Hero All-Star nyihater4life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I picked him last year in that simulated league of mine... He was ranked the #2 or #3 russian last year behind Cherepanov but he slipped all the way to the 4th round... haven't heard much of him since

I have him on my farm team as well. Hopeing he turns out well.
    Alex "Dont Call Me Alexander Anymore" Ovechkin

London Knights drafted Sergei Korostim who was drafted by Dallas.

Brampton Battalion drafted Evgeny Grachev who was drafted by the NY Rangers.

Twofour, have you ever seen Patrick Maroon play?? I mean what's he like?? I know he's a huge dude drafted in the 6th round by PHI last year. But he ripped up the OHL this season....

No one owns him in my simulation league... I was thinking of drafting his this year.. possibly in rounds 2 or 3 even.

So the Peterborough Petes (the Jr team I follow the most) picked Ruslan Bashkirov from Russia, in the 2nd round of today's Import draft, he was a 2nd round pick of the Sens in '07, only thing is he played for Quebec in the QMJHL last season, he had 67 Pts in 64 games last season playing for them, as well as 117 PIM, I heard he left Quebec though to head back home, this is a gamble pick, but a real good one if he does show up to play, this will be a steal, he'll play on one of the top 2 lines if he show's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Twofour, have you ever seen Patrick Maroon play?? I mean what's he like?? I know he's a huge dude drafted in the 6th round by PHI last year. But he ripped up the OHL this season....

No one owns him in my simulation league... I was thinking of drafting his this year.. possibly in rounds 2 or 3 even.
    Yeah kid is huge, and has sweet hands, his only down fall is his skating, which is getting better, I heard Philly wants him playing in the AHL this season, he would be a good pick, I would think he's about 1-3 years away, maybe even sooner if his skating get's better.
    Last edited by two24four; 06-26-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Yeah kid is huge, and has sweet hands, his only down fall is his skating, which is getting better, I heard Philly wants him playing in the AHL this season, he would be a good pick, I would think he's about 1-3 years away, maybe even sooner if his skating get's better.
    Well they say that the Hunters in London develop kids well and push them hard to succeed. That's probably what happened to him this year... he was amazing

So the Peterborough Petes (the Jr team I follow the most) picked Ruslan Bashkirov from Russia, in the 2nd round of today's Import draft, he was a 2nd round pick of the Sens in '07, only thing is he played for Quebec in the QMJHL last season, he had 67 Pts in 64 games last season playing for them, as well as 117 PIM, I heard he left Quebec though to head back home, this is a gamble pick, but a real good one if he does show up to play, this will be a steal, he'll play on one of the top 2 lines if he show's.
    Wow great news, sounds like he's going to come back to Canada and play for the Petes.

http://www.peterboroughexaminer.com/...aspx?e=1090809

Peterborough Petes chose Russian Ruslan Bashkirov, a second-round pick of the Ottawa Senators last year, with their second pick in the CHL Import Draft Thursday.

Bashkirov scored 30 goals, 67 points and 117 penalty minutes in 64 games for Quebec Remparts as a rookie two years ago.

After a season in Russia, Bashkirov decided he wanted to return to Canada to improve his chances of signing an NHL contract, said Petes' GM Jeff Twohey.
    Twohey says Bashkoriv's agent Jay Grossman, a close personal friend, has assured him Bashkirov wants to play in Canada.

For more please see Friday's Examiner.

I'm thinking if other Jr teams knew this that they might have taken him, but I'm glad they did not, Iam looking foward to seeing this kid play, even if he is a draft pick of the Sens

Sarnia also took his twin brother not long after this pick.
    Last edited by two24four; 06-26-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Lets go Buffalo!!! All-Star Buffalo87's Avatar
    Good thread. Panik will be great for Windsor if he has a change of heart.

14 Team Head-to-Head Salary Dynasty League (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, W, GAA, SV%, SO)

Start 3 C, 6 W, 4 D, 2 Util, 2 G, NO BENCH

C - Jason Spezza, Anze Kopitar, Jeff Carter, Peter Mueller, Patrick O'Sullivan

W - Evgeni Malkin, Marian Gaborik, Thomas Vanek, Ales Hemsky, Michael Cammalleri, Sean Avery
    D - Dan Boyle, Mike Green, Andrej Meszaros, Scott Neidermayer
    G - Marc-Andre Fleury, Rick Dipietro

Minors - Kari Lehtonen, Kris Letang, Drew Stafford, Jiri Hudler, Brian Little, Travis Zajac, Maxim Afinogenov, MA Bergeron, Zach Hamill, Gilbert Brule, Mikael Backlund

Salary Cap - 85 mil
    Total Salary - 76.69

www.dynastyhockeyleague.com

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
    Good thread. Panik will be great for Windsor if he has a change of heart.
    Yeah I dont think Windsor would have taken him that early if he was not coming, I'm thinking they talked to him before making the pick, right now Windsor is looking like the early fav to win the OHL this season coming, they just need a goalie.

Here is the list of players who got invited to the World Jr's summer development camp........

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/5/5/9/4/3/index1.shtml
    __________________________________________________ ________________

Only two players who got an invite have not been drafted by an NHL team yet, John Tavares and Nazem Kadri.

Like I said before Windsor is going to be one of, if not the top team in the OHL this season, but around Christmas time they could be losing 3 of there top players it looks like, Joshua Bailey and Greg Nemisz for this team, and Taylor Hall will be playing for the U18's at the same time, he's good enough to be on this team though, I think if Hall is putting up great numbers come the try out in early Dec, then they will bring him in.

Stamkos for sure I'm thinking wont be sent back for this by T-Bay, and others who may stick in the NHL and not make it back are, Luke Schenn, Drew Doughty, Alex Pietrangelo, Brandon Sutter, Kyle Turris, they all have a good shot at sticking in the NHL as well.

Nice to see Leafs pick Chris DiDomenico get an invite after every OHL team past on him in his draft year

Not one goalie from the OHL got in invite, I cant remember the last time that happend.

Not sure how Del Zotto did not get an invite.
    Last edited by two24four; 06-28-2008 at 11:14 AM.

So the Oshawa Generals (OHL) got two new owners today, to partner up with Rocco Tullio who already owned them , they would be ex NHL'er Adam Graves and Peter DeBoer who coached the Kitchener Rangers of the OHL last season, and is now the head coach of the Florida Panthers.

There is a pretty strong rumour going around that they are bringing in Paul Maurice to coach the Gens this season as well, DeBoer and Maurice are really close, if true this is a huge move for the Gens, John Tavares must be loving this.

Also keep hearing Doug Gilmour's name as well.
    Last edited by two24four; 07-10-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Lets go Buffalo!!! All-Star Buffalo87's Avatar
    Hey 24, have you seen any of the top 09 Draft prospects play in the OHL? Guys like Matt Duchene, Nazem Kadri, Ryan Ellis, Ryan O'Reilly, etc.?

14 Team Head-to-Head Salary Dynasty League (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, W, GAA, SV%, SO)

Start 3 C, 6 W, 4 D, 2 Util, 2 G, NO BENCH

C - Jason Spezza, Anze Kopitar, Jeff Carter, Peter Mueller, Patrick O'Sullivan

W - Evgeni Malkin, Marian Gaborik, Thomas Vanek, Ales Hemsky, Michael Cammalleri, Sean Avery
    D - Dan Boyle, Mike Green, Andrej Meszaros, Scott Neidermayer
    G - Marc-Andre Fleury, Rick Dipietro

Minors - Kari Lehtonen, Kris Letang, Drew Stafford, Jiri Hudler, Brian Little, Travis Zajac, Maxim Afinogenov, MA Bergeron, Zach Hamill, Gilbert Brule, Mikael Backlund

Salary Cap - 85 mil
    Total Salary - 76.69

www.dynastyhockeyleague.com

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
    Hey 24, have you seen any of the top 09 Draft prospects play in the OHL? Guys like Matt Duchene, Nazem Kadri, Ryan Ellis, Ryan O'Reilly, etc.?
    I played against Duchene, Ellis, and O'Reilly a few years ago. All of these guys are dirtyyy players but they're still developing. I would say this year upcoming we should get a better picture of what kind of players they can become.

All are great young players, like phaneuf6 said, we will get a better look at them all this season with more ice time for them with them all being a year older....

Out of all them I have seen Matt Duchene the most, he's a good little hockey player, he would have gone 1st overall in last season's OHL draft if he had not told most teams he was going to play in the NCAA, then when Brampton drafted him he "changed his mind" to much of this is going on these days in the OHL it seems.........he should be a top 3-5 pick at next season's NHL draft, I look for him to be near the top of the OHL scoring leaders this season, even more so if the Nucks send Cody Hodgson back, I think he could put up around 40-45 goals this season.........

Ryan O'Reilly I only saw play about 2 maybe 3 times this past season, he looks really good from what I saw, very fast and is a good set-up man, I hope to see more of him this season, him playing for Erie kind of sucks..........

Ryan Ellis had a great rookie season in Windsor, he was 4th in the OHL in D-man scoring as a rookie, only Ryan Wilson, Bobby Sanguinetti, and Michael Del Zotto where ahead of him, he even had two more Pts then Zach Bogosian, he was also 4th in the OHL in rookie scoring this past season, and that was behide 3 great players, Patrick Maroon, Taylor Hall and Mikkel Boedker, all this and he's a D-man, 63 Pts and a +30 for a rookie D-man in the OHL is huge, he's just going to keep getting better, with the team Windsor has this season coming, (my early fav to win the OHL) he could get close to 80 Pts..........would not be a bad thing if he was to get abit bigger, he's just 5'10 178lbs.........

Nazem Kadri is good dont get me wrong here, but I want to see him this season alittle more with out players like Justin Azevedo and Mikkel Boedker, I want to see him more as the go to guy.....

Another player to watch out for Zack Kassian from the Petes, he reminds me of a young Eric Lindros, I'm not saying he's as good as the Big E, but he's got the size, the hands and he can fight like Eric when he was a Jr, this kid is solid for a 17 year old, he's 6'3 205lbs, he's a big power forawrd type, who loves to drive hard to the net with no fear, and he can fight for fun, with more ice time I think he will be a wrecking ball who teams wont want to face this season....... he's got the size, can pass, shoot and fight, what more could you ask for, oh and he plays with abit of an edge.....
    Last edited by two24four; 07-11-2008 at 01:18 AM.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar

Ryan O'Reilly I only saw play about 2 maybe 3 times this past season, he looks really good from what I saw, very fast and is a good set-up man, I hope to see more of him this season, him playing for Erie kind of sucks..........

Oh how I long for the days of Boyes, Pecker, Colaiacovo, and Campoli...
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post

Oh how I long for the days of Boyes, Pecker, Colaiacovo, and Campoli...
    haha, no doubt, I will never forget the one news paper headline from back then, it was something like Boyes scores from Pecker I think it even made it on the Jay Leno show.

That was a great team though.

Report: Stefan Legein to quit hockey

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=246953&l...headlines_main
    __________________________________________________ ________________

Ok I'm sure alot of you remember him from the WJHC's playing for Team Canada just this past Christmas, also for those of you who follow the OHL, he played for the Niagara IceDogs.

Now this just came out of left feild, there has to be more to this story, cause he had a real good shot at making the NHL in the next year or two IMO, he's a Sean Avery type who I think the Blue Jackets where really looking forward to getting into there lineup in the next little while, you dont see many 20 year old kids with a real good shot at making the NHL just quit at the drop of a hat, very odd.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    Wow, maybe he just stopped enjoying the game...
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Banned All-Star
    Yeah I saw this, and my buddy e-mailed me at work about this. The kid would have made the NHL if not this year next for sure. You don't just give up a multi-million dollar career that you've worked your tail off for for now reason. There is definitely more to this than meets the eye!

Quote Originally Posted by WinnipegWingnut View Post
    Yeah I saw this, and my buddy e-mailed me at work about this. The kid would have made the NHL if not this year next for sure. You don't just give up a multi-million dollar career that you've worked your tail off for for now reason. There is definitely more to this than meets the eye!
    I really thought he had a great shot making it this season.

Unsung Hero All-Star nyihater4life's Avatar
    http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2008/08/20/s...red-or-did-he/

Pretty interesting article about this.

Maybe his goal in life was to just to be drafted and hes happy with that.
    Last edited by nyihater4life; 08-20-2008 at 12:50 PM.
    Alex "Dont Call Me Alexander Anymore" Ovechkin

Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    I doubt it's a prank. My guess is it's either a rumour spiraled out of control, or maybe a lingering injury concern.

Banned All-Star
    I really thought he had a great shot making it this season.
    Oh I agree 100%... I was thinking he'd be a 3/4 line guy this year.

Hockey guru to the gods Hall of Famer Roy Hinske's Avatar
    Swift Current, Saskatchewan; home of the Broncos
    He played like he was really into the game. Must be Mafia related I think.

apparently after the wjc, he wasn' the same. Also, when he went to Syracuse for the playoffs he played two games and left the team citing he wanted to focus more on working out. I think something happened in Syracuse that changed his mind about his future in hockey. We'll find out more as Sept 20th or whatever approaches.

Thread Information