Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar

San Diego Chargers

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Union Tribune

Sources are reporting that the San Diego Chargers are making WR Eric Parker available in a trade, following the signing of WR/KR Mark Jones. According to reports, Parker will either be released or traded by the start of training camp next month. Parker is a former starter for the Chargers but has battled injuries recently.
    General Manager A.J. Smith declined comment.

"We don't discuss our football business," Smith said.

Parker's agent, Jack Bechta, is expected to take a role in facilitating a trade, though he said he was just learning about the situation.

"If this is happening, I will get involved," Bechta said. "I will start taking the lead. With the relationship I have with the front office and the respect Eric has garnered, I'm sure they'll let us participate in the process."
    Hmmm....Interesting to see where Parker would end up. I don't see him making a big splash where ever he lands though.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

PM me for price quotes for signature space.

You had to make a post about Eric Parker!! You must be bored!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy78 View Post
    You had to make a post about Eric Parker!! You must be bored!
    As I find info, I post it. Some people have Eric Parker on their teams. Not you or I, but some do...
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    As I find info, I post it. Some people have Eric Parker on their teams. Not you or I, but some do...
    Yes, Eric Parker's brother and father.

2010 Dead Pool Champion All-Star Hockeyis#1's Avatar
    Parker's kinda been an underachiever in my limited NFL followings.

As long as no more of our defensive starters start shootouts with law enforcement, we'll be ok.

Later round sleeper?

Quote Originally Posted by Chargers.com
    San Diego Chargers wide receiver Legedu Naanee is expected to see an increased role in the team's offense during the 2008 season. "Just with the way last year went, the coaches expect more from me," Naanee said. "That's exciting. I'm ready to step up to the task."
    Can we see Legedu on fantasy teams this year???

Gates...

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    San Diego Chargers TE Antonio Gates tested his surgically repaired left big toe Monday at in a 45-minute workout at training camp and said it's about 65 to 70 percent healed. He did some running and cutting, but that was about it. Gates underwent surgery in late-February to repair what he said was a tear in the plantar plate. "Obviously, it's a process," Gates said. "I'm a lot better than I felt a month ago. I can say that. I have no determinant on when and how fast I'll be coming back. But right now, I feel good. It's a little sore, but it's tolerable."
    Huge injury, big concern. People thinks oh its just a toe. Yeah, well...a toe is a toe and tearing the plantar plate isn't a pleasant thing.

he'll be fine.

Gates practically IS our passing option. I was really hoping that this would have been all cleared up by now. I'd HATE to start the season with our elite TE having injury concerns.

I'd still argue that if we hadn't got beat the hell up VS the Colts and been entirely healthy, we COULD have beat the pats in the AFC game last season....

Rehab is going better than he ever anticipated. If it keeps at this pace, with the gains outpacing the setbacks, with him able to manage the discomfort, Antonio Gates believes he will definitely be ready for the opener. But Gates won't just come back to be back. This team is too talented and too dedicated to winning for me to come back and not be ready to contribute, said Gates, who had surgery on his left big toe in late February. I wouldn't shortchange this team. Being out there and playing is one thing, but contributing is another.
    A week or so ago, Gates was talking about being 65-70% ready, now he's talking as if he can go full blast. Once the pads go on and there is full contact, let's see how well he does and take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by San Deigo Union Tribune
    The Chargers will hold out RB LaDainian Tomlinson in the preseason game and will list a "sore groin" as the reason. He is fine though according to Kevin Acee of the Union-Tribune. Technically, teams can only hold out injured players for preseason games as they charge regular season ticket prices. But the Chargers are going with the wink wink approach here.
    Relax, relax... LT is fine...

LT hasn't played a preseason game in how many years?

Shawne Merriman will return from Birmingham, Ala., today after consulting with orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews about lingering pain in his left knee.
    Further surgery is an option for the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker, but it is also possible Merriman will be able to begin the season.

Merriman, who has been working rigorously on the side throughout training camp, made the decision along with his advisers to see Andrews on Tuesday and flew to Alabama. He was examined by Andrews yesterday, but a source said a diagnosis and course of action will not be known for a while.
    For IDP leagues and those closely watching defense.

If your draft was tonight, I would bump Merriman down a bit. If you already drafted him, keep an eye out.

Reports are all over the board on this one...everything from his career could be over to he'll be in there week 1. Something is clearly wrong if you hop on a plain, leave San Diego and head to Birmingham to see Dr. Andrews. I am sure more will come out over this over the next few days.

After three doctors advised against playing, he is still not happy...

San Diego Chargers LB Shawne Merriman seems intent on playing in 2008. "I can't imagine not playing football this year," Merriman said. "I really can't. That's what this is all about. I want to see that I can play ... I haven't made my decision yet, but I am going to do everything I can to play. That's what this is all about. I have to go make this last trip and the get back with the team and figure it all out. This is all about me playing. That's all I want to do."
    So he making a trip to a fourth. Why is he willing to risk his career?

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    After three doctors advised against playing, he is still not happy...

So he making a trip to a fourth. Why is he willing to risk his career?
    Yeah really, take the season off, and come back a 100% next season.

He is playing.

Thanks for the win week 4 Chargers!

Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    He is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    He is playing.

they will still beat you!!

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy78 View Post
    they will still beat you!!

By the way, it's week 3, not week 4 when the Jets play SD.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post

By the way, it's week 3, not week 4 when the Jets play SD.
    Doesn't matter... The same result is bound to happen anyway... How funny would it be for the Phins to open 2-2 and the Jets to open 0-4. Wow... I think someone may have a stroke!

Doesn't matter... The same result is bound to happen anyway... How funny would it be for the Phins to open 2-2 and the Jets to open 0-4. Wow... I think someone may have a stroke!
    I was joking about Merriman's steroid self.

But its no joke about beating the piss out of Miami, once again.

San Diego Chargers TE Antonio Gates is confident he will be able to play and contribute this season. However, he admits he has no idea how his foot injury will treat him this year. "It could be a hindrance this season," Gates said. "I'm going to play and it is going to be OK. But it could bother me. I've practiced and it's been OK. But let's face it, nothing compares to game day. Game day will be the key for me."
    At this point, I don't think this news lessens Gates value. He'll likely remain being the top TE in most drafts. That said, its a little disheartening to hear him say it could be a hindrance himself.

Nice game Chargers. Go ahead and get your surgery done Merri-roid.

Last edited by dw13; 09-07-2008 at 06:21 PM.

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    what a finish! Delommmmmeeeeee. Hell of a win.

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    Merriman smartens up! Glad somebody knocked some sense into the kid.

Season ending surgery to come.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

SAN DIEGO (AP)—Star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman pulled the plug on his 2008 season on Tuesday when he told the San Diego Chargers he’ll have surgery on the two torn ligaments in his left knee.

The loss of Merriman, whose hard hits earned him the nickname “Lights Out,” is a big one for a team that has Super Bowl expectations.

Merriman’s decision came two days after he barely resembled the player who had an NFL-high 39 1/2 sacks in the past three seasons and played in three straight Pro Bowls.

Merriman didn’t immediately return e-mails and telephone calls seeking comment.

“Shawne informed me he did not feel right and thought it best to shut it down,” Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said in a statement. “The road to winning the AFC West just got more difficult, but not impossible. Nothing is impossible. Shawne is a great player and an inspirational leader. He will be missed. We wish him a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.”

Merriman had only two tackles in a shocking 26-24 loss to Carolina at home on Sunday. Even though Merriman appeared to be a non-factor, coach Norv Turner said he thought the linebacker looked “explosive and very physical.”

Late in training camp, Merriman said that the posterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his left knee were torn.
    He spent several days getting opinions from four doctors from outside the organization, all of whom recommended he have surgery. But on Aug. 27, he announced that he was going to play, saying, “If you give a football player a decision to play, you know, I’m going to play.”

But, he acknowledged, “I’ll have the surgery at any point. Nobody knows. I kind of left it on the table when to have it. Not even doctors can tell me that.”

Rehab is expected to be six to seven months.

Merriman has said he’s had pain in the knee since late in the 2006 season. He also injured the knee during a game at Tennessee on Dec. 9. He sat out the following Sunday, but played in the last three regular-season games and the Chargers’ three playoff games, including a loss to New England in the AFC championship game. He also played in the Pro Bowl.

Merriman had offseason arthroscopic surgery to repair torn cartilage in the knee.

Go Flames Go All-Star Skate or Die's Avatar
    What does this do to the fantasy value of the SD defense?
    Team 1: 10 team non-keeper H2H, 17 moves left
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits...W, GAA, SV%, SO

Quote Originally Posted by Skate or Die View Post
    Um..... drop it like its hot?

They are still stacked and play in a weak division. Hold them and see what they do for a few weeks.

Senior Member All-Star
    They'll still be fine, maybe a few less sacks but it's nothing to worry about

I think this brings SD from a Top 3 DEF to a Top 6-7 DEF. It's not enough for me to drop them, but I might look for replacements on weeks where they face a tough offense.

Thread Information