Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 121 to 136 of 136
  1. #121
    California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,914
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    As a Steelers fan, I'm heart broken
    I hate that fat fuck! Lol. I am searching for empathy... fuck I think I am all out!



  2. #122
    The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wherever I want to be!
    Age
    42
    Posts
    21,632
    What the hell are the Baltimore Ravens doing??????????? I am about to rip them as much as I ripped the New York Jets. Which is tough because they just won the Super Bowl. However, unlike the New York Jets whose management - ARE MORONS, Ozzie Newsome, I could say knows what he is doing.........

    I interrupt this review as I have to go back to the Jets real quick.
    Last edited by King_Killah; 04-28-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!


    PM me for price quotes for signature space.

  3. #123
    The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wherever I want to be!
    Age
    42
    Posts
    21,632
    Sorry about that.

    Anyway..... So they win the Super Bowl, Joe Flacco politely asks for a billion dollars and practically gets it and then the Ravens basically dismantle the team. But, they still have Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce to run the ball. Who is arguing at least Ray Rice? When in doubt, give the ball to Ray. Pitta and Dickson are OK at the TE spot. Flacco seems to like Pitta. They have Torrey Smith which is solid. I guess they are hopeful that Tommy Streeter will replace Anquan Boldin? For as good as Smith was last year, Boldin was the man and I can't believe they couldn't figure out a way to make it work so he would stay.

    The defense side of the ball loses incredible leadership with Ray Ray retiring and Ed Reed leaving. Again, stunned that the Ravens couldn't make it work to keep Reed. I hope they really, really like Matt Elam. The AFC Central is wide open and up for grabs. The Bengals have a legit shot at taking the division with the Steelers and Ravens battling for a Wild Card. Don't sleep on the Browns. Not that I think the Browns will amount to much yet, just saying don't overlook them.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!


    PM me for price quotes for signature space.

  4. #124
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,772
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    What the hell are the Baltimore Ravens doing??????????? I am about to rip them as much as I ripped the New York Jets. Which is tough because they just one the Super Bowl. However, unlike the New York Jets whose management - ARE MORONS, Ozzie Newsome, I could say knows what he is doing.........

    I interrupt this review as I have to go back to the Jets real quick.
    You're quite a bit late with this. Since the initial purge, I think that they have rebuilt their roster quite well.


  5. #125
    The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wherever I want to be!
    Age
    42
    Posts
    21,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    You're quite a bit late with this. Since the initial purge, I think that they have rebuilt their roster quite well.
    Where? With what? Duct tape and Super glue?

    QB - Flacco... strong
    RB - Rice...strong; Pierce...solid enough
    WR - Smith...strong; Jacoby Jones glorifed returner at WR; everyone else won't replace Boldin, we'll have to see what Streeter does, potential is good.
    TE - Pitta...good; Dickson...good enough

    The leadership lost with Lewis and Reed gone is going to hurt a lot. They went 6 defensive players of their 10 picks in the draft. That is good. Gonna help. Elam should be strong at safety and Art Brown might be nice in the inside. The addition of Dumervil is a good get. Still seems like they lost more than they gained. And in a division that contains the Steelers who are always there and a Bengals team that is on the rise and a Browns team that for as bad as they can be at times still seems to give Baltimore fits they can't afford to lose more than they gain.

    I would have liked to see them hang onto Boldin. They could have gotten that deal done.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!


    PM me for price quotes for signature space.

  6. #126
    Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10,687
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    Where? With what? Duct tape and Super glue?

    QB - Flacco... strong
    RB - Rice...strong; Pierce...solid enough
    WR - Smith...strong; Jacoby Jones glorifed returner at WR; everyone else won't replace Boldin, we'll have to see what Streeter does, potential is good.
    TE - Pitta...good; Dickson...good enough

    The leadership lost with Lewis and Reed gone is going to hurt a lot. They went 6 defensive players of their 10 picks in the draft. That is good. Gonna help. Elam should be strong at safety and Art Brown might be nice in the inside. The addition of Dumervil is a good get. Still seems like they lost more than they gained. And in a division that contains the Steelers who are always there and a Bengals team that is on the rise and a Browns team that for as bad as they can be at times still seems to give Baltimore fits they can't afford to lose more than they gain.

    I would have liked to see them hang onto Boldin. They could have gotten that deal done.
    They didn't just lose Boldin, either. They lost Boldin to the team that was one catch away from defeating them for the super bowl. They lost their own MVP of the playoffs to the team that needed just 1 more catch to win. Thats what absolutely leaves me shocked that they couldn't get it done. How they let him go to the 49ers, is asinine.

  7. #127
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,772
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    Where? With what? Duct tape and Super glue?

    QB - Flacco... strong
    RB - Rice...strong; Pierce...solid enough
    WR - Smith...strong; Jacoby Jones glorifed returner at WR; everyone else won't replace Boldin, we'll have to see what Streeter does, potential is good.
    TE - Pitta...good; Dickson...good enough

    The leadership lost with Lewis and Reed gone is going to hurt a lot. They went 6 defensive players of their 10 picks in the draft. That is good. Gonna help. Elam should be strong at safety and Art Brown might be nice in the inside. The addition of Dumervil is a good get. Still seems like they lost more than they gained. And in a division that contains the Steelers who are always there and a Bengals team that is on the rise and a Browns team that for as bad as they can be at times still seems to give Baltimore fits they can't afford to lose more than they gain.

    I would have liked to see them hang onto Boldin. They could have gotten that deal done.
    I believe that the picked up Dumervil, Huff, Spears, and Canty. Not to mention their draft. I trust Ozzie a lot more than most.


  8. #128
    The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wherever I want to be!
    Age
    42
    Posts
    21,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    I believe that the picked up Dumervil, Huff, Spears, and Canty. Not to mention their draft. I trust Ozzie a lot more than most.
    I am with you on Ozzie Newsome...which is where I was starting to go before I had to run back to the Jets thread... I am not a buyer of Huff. Canty is behind Ngata on the depth chart and Spears will fight Arthur Jones for the #1 spot.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!


    PM me for price quotes for signature space.

  9. #129
    Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10,687
    We can go on and on about all that bullshit but the Ravens are a great team if Flacco plays elite and they're insignificant nobodies if he doesn't. If hes first-15 games Flacco, instead of last-5 games Flacco, they're totally fucked. I still despise his contract regardless how inevitable it was. I don't see how he can play up to that - Nothing short of a top 3 QB season is acceptable for that money. He looked like a loser most of the season before the Ravens hit their stride. Best thing he did in 15 games was dump off a 2 yard pass to Ray Rice on 4th and 29. Hey Diddle Diddle Ray Rice here to save Joe Flacco's dumbass up the middle. This is his first season with true standards, limping in by virtue of his good defense or typical Ray Rice goodness would make his contract terms seem like a mockery. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, are at no risk of ever looking "overpaid," Flacco has to control games on a weekly basis now. Training wheels are officially off that offense.
    Last edited by Kyle; 04-29-2013 at 06:38 AM.

  10. #130
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,772
    I know that Kyle won't like this but I, for one, trust what Newsome is doing there. You can't keep them all.

    http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/01/2014-n...nsatory-picks/


  11. #131
    Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10,687
    Show me results, any well spoken GM could make their approach sound every bit as clever, unique, and out-of-the-box as Newsome does. The fact is the Ravens haven't really had a great year since their first SB win. So who cares how he approaches the draft or free agency? Its literally nothing more than one of 30 GM's preference. It clearly doesn't give him any sort of advantage or disadvantage because he hasn't built an elite team. They won another SB in an otherwise disappointing year on a playoff run enabled by one of the flukiest plays ever to end that Denver game. That SB winning team was a major work in progress with more flaws than strengths and I don't need to hear the guy who put that together bragging about his formula. Thats like asking a lotto winner for financial advice. Just because he won a million doesn't mean hes going to guide me to mine. Other teams can take notes on Newsome's formula and hope their inconsistent Joe Flacco might throw a lucky prayer at the end of a losing playoff game leading into a miracle SB run, but I'd go for a formula a bit more possible to replicate. The results don't show anything close to some sort of secret successful formula. Lets hear from the Patriots how they do what they do because they've been favored to win a SB every year for 10 years now. They're uniquely successful in the world of sports and football. Newsome's Ravens aren't. The Ravens haven't been considered strong SB contenders going into more than 2-3 of the last 10 seasons and I'm being generous by calling them strong contenders those 3 seasons.

    I'm not taking anything away from the Ravens or Newsome's success there but hes never built a consistent contender as strong as the mid 2000's Steelers or the Patriots of the last 10 years and doesn't need to have his approach to the off season glorified (Not before he blows a whole bunch of air up his own ass with "Well I don't want to tip our secret to the league." Tip away tool, no one cares) just because of a lucky SB win two years ago.

    You'd trust Newsome's taste buds if he told you bird shit tasted like chicken and you'd probably even believe you were tasting it too. There are better GMs more worth the mancrush.
    Last edited by Kyle; 05-03-2014 at 03:56 AM.

  12. #132
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,772
    You can really find anything to argue when it fits your argument, huh? For someone that has been giving the Blues a pass when their playoff success has been nonexistent, you are the complete opposite when it comes to the Ravens. What do you think a team would rather do? Be great in the regular season and do nothing in the playoffs or have a "disappointing year" and win a title? Every team in every sport would take the latter. No matter how you look at it, the Ravens have been one of the best run franchises in the NFL. You mentioned since their first SB win. OK. Since then, they have a record of 122-86 and another title. That's an average season of 9.4-6.6. In a league built on parity, that's quite good. Mix in 7 double digit win seasons out of 13 and that's solid. You mentioned the Steelers, who happen to be in their division. Since Newsome took over, they're 105-71, with basically the same average season and 6 double digit win seasons in 11 years. They have been consistently better than almost every other team in the NFL over that period. You could make a case that only the Pats, Steelers, and Giants have been better. Maybe the Packers, too. For as good as the Pats have been, they probably won't win a title this year and that will be 10 years without one. If so, they would surely trade their success for that of the Ravens. The bottom line is that they have clearly been a top-5 NFL franchise over the past 10 years, since their first title, etc. They have had 3 under .500 seasons since their first title. All but a handful of teams would trade success with them over that period in a heartbeat.

    I'm not saying that the Ravens have been the best team in the NFL. I'm just giving credit where it's due. They have clearly been towards the top. They have a plan and it's allowed them to remain towards the top of their division and to win a championship. Their GM has to get credit for that.


  13. #133
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,772
    And, for the record, it pains me to defend that team. I don't like them. I just respect them.


  14. #134
    Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10,687
    The fact that you even mentioned the Giants as a team that could be better than the Ravens is not only the most effective way to make my argument, but really a bit sad for the Ravens. Have the Ravens really been that bad? Ouch. In fact, there was a 6 year stretch at just over .500 there after the first SB win. Pretty rough from a brilliant GM. I'll take whoever's been in charge of the Packers/Saints/Seahawks/49ers for sure. I'm just saying if you can pick out 2-4 GMs doing it a bit better in the same era, this guy's brilliance doesn't need to be glorified. Belichick built a team so good it lost its starting QB, replaced him with a total joke (Nay - a mockery), and still won 10 games, more than Newsome's average for 10 years. I know you don't need to hear a word about the Pats but they're really the only management job of our generation worth glorifying.

    I specifically sniped out a chunk of the Steelers era to avoid the 10+ year comparison Doc. Steelers never had their Lewis/Reed for 10+ years. When the Steelers were good, the Ravens never approached that kind of success. Newsome has just been solid for a long time. But hes not being praised as solid. Hes being glorified as a brilliant mind within the sport who knows a little extra something that gives him that extra advantage. Give me a break. Unless he knew specifically what to put in Raheem Moore's lunch two years ago before the SB, I don't need to hear shit about how this guy rose to the top because it isn't a secret. We all know how the Ravens won a second SB, by struggling mightily all season and stringing together a miracle run. Not by virtue of wise management. Wise managing would've made the playoffs comfortably like the Packers/Patriots/Saints expect every year (With their starting QBs healthy of course). They're a pretty good team thats been due to struggle for a long time because of its rosters weakness on paper and abhorrent (By today's standards) quality of their franchise QB Joe Flacco. The same one they're hopelessly committed to for five years. They had a deceptively good run to start Flacco's career because of the perfect storm of Ed Reed/Ray Lewis meets Suggs/Ngata but who didn't expect that to fall apart once Lewis/Reed left? It clearly has.

    I don't think many if any teams envy the Ravens, their approach, or their ability to put together a team. I don't think many teams wish they had Flacco. I don't think many teams want the Raven's roster if they could trade entirely. Any owner would prefer to work with Saints and their GM before the Ravens and Newsome. They'd want the Packers and their GM, the Seahawks, the 49ers, the Broncos, the Cardinals, even the Eagles. Those are all teams built better than the Ravens with much more promise thanks to not investing 20 million into a total joke and letting their most valuable players walk. I think absolutely nothing more needs to be said of how much we need to be glorifying Newsome's "team building" than the simple fact that they aren't one of the best rosters today. You're struggling to make a top 3-5 case over the last 10 years, but if we narrow to successful stretches of 5 years, plenty of other teams end up sliding ahead of Newsome's Ravens. Hes never been an elite squad 2-3 years in a row and doesn't deserve some greater respect just because hes been above average for 12 years with the two best defensive players of our generation (Lewis, Reed). We're talking about a guy who runs a team that we're never truly confident will make or even compete for the playoffs.I'm not saying he isn't a good or even a great GM who makes much more sensible decisions than nonsense decisions. He is that. But thats all he is. He hasn't represented any sort of unique approach with uniquely good results and insisting otherwise is just senselessly glorifying the man.

    Newsome's nowhere near as high as you elevate him on the list of brilliant minds in sports. Doesn't even deserve the consideration. Hes a guy with a successful history in the draft and a ton of questionable decisions in free agency. The guy who signed a QB to the worst contract a QB has ever been signed to short of Matt Flynn. The guy who let Boldin go, replaced him with Steve Smith, and refuses to replace that joke Ray Rice as a starter. Until he builds a genuinely great team without Ed Reed/Ray Lewis hes just another quality manager who stumbled onto a few legends. Kenny H lost his gifts in Yzerman/Federov/Shanahan/Hull and rebuilt an entirely different elite roster. He's a uniquely brilliant GM in sports. Newsome did half as much with his gifts and is so far in the middle of a downward spiral without them. Until he proves he can rebuild an elite roster, hes not an elite GM, just a really good one who stumbled onto Lewis/Reed.

    You can really find anything to argue when it fits your argument, huh?
    Did you not post the article and mention me specifically to engage in this exchange? If I'm forcing the issue I'll gladly stop because I don't give a fuck and have adopted (Months ago) a wait and see approach with this Ravens franchise.
    Last edited by Kyle; 05-03-2014 at 03:51 PM.

  15. #135
    King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Age
    46
    Posts
    43,772
    Did you not post the article and mention me specifically to engage in this exchange? If I'm forcing the issue I'll gladly stop because I don't give a fuck and have adopted (Months ago) a wait and see approach with this Ravens franchise.
    I posted it to have a discussion in a slow time for football. Once the draft comes, we'll have a lot more to discuss and KK will come out of the woodwork.

    Hes a guy with a successful history in the draft and a ton of questionable decisions in free agency.
    That's the gist of the article. They get more compensatory picks than other teams. Just like we're going to be seeing with Seattle, you need to pick and choose who you sign and who you let go. Finding the right balance is key. I really don't see how we can say that they're in the middle of a downward spiral when they are one season removed from a title. I also can't withhold credit from Newsome for the last title because Lewis and Reed were shells of their former selves. Leadership? Sure. Performance? Not consistently in the least.


  16. #136
    Senior Member Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10,687
    Thats what I figured Doc. I guess I misunderstood the sentence I quoted.

    The downward spiral is certainly dramatic wording and they don't need to be concerned yet. I just feel like they're set up to fail with the contract situation with their core players.

    Reed/Lewis weren't at their best at all. Flacco played lights out a few games and Boldin (The MVP of the playoff run) was just a different kind of monster in pursuit of his first SB. Clearly hungry after the loss with Arizona.

    I don't think Newsome is anything less than a great GM. I wish the Lions had him. But if any of the GMs of the Packers, Saints, Seahawks, 49ers, Patriots, etc. are as well spoken as Newsome, you could interview them and get an equally romanticized and glorified description of their approach to the off-season. And it would sound brilliant because they're successful. But how much of Newsome's success is really based on that approach? How much has letting players walk helped him? Dilfer was the beneficiary of a world-class defense but they won games with him. They drop Dilfer for who? Garbage for year after year after year until Flacco. They were bad for 4 of 6 years there. The Raven's success has been built on Flacco, Lewis, Reed, Gnata, Suggs, Ogden, McAlister, J.Lewis...have any of those guys been acquired by waiting until the end of Free Agency or using compensatory picks?

    If not, who really cares what Newsome thinks about all that? I can name examples where his method hurt. Boldin and Dilfer to name the notable few. I can't name any where its worked out and I won't simply say "The Ravens have had a great 12 years so Newsome's approach to free agents and compensatory picks must be brilliant." You can be less than smart with your free agent pick-ups and who you let walk and still enjoy a great 12-year stretch as long as you draft well which Newsome always has. I just don't see the connection to praising his tendency to let players walk because that still seems like a problem to me.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •