View Poll Results: TSN or Sportsnet

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • TSN

    36 87.80%
  • Sportsnet

    5 12.20%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 323
  1. #61
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,581
    Quote Originally Posted by boredguy View Post
    It's too bad Cole is senile/blind and has no clue what's happening any more. If you don't care that's he's incredible inaccurate with what he's saying he's still a great play by play guy.
    Yeah his voice is awesome for calling games, we all grew up with him calling games on CBC, but yeah it's just not the same anymore. They where re-showing a game the other night late on CBC from back in the day with Cole calling it, very smooth call, I do miss the Cole-Neal combo from back in the day, but now they are both old, I think I heard the other day that Cole is 77 now.

    I wish they would get away from Galley, I cant stand him, I would rather it just be Cole and Healy.
    Last edited by two24four; 05-08-2010 at 12:19 PM.

  2. #62
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,786
    I figured sports networks were profitable, but wow!

    http://www.thestar.com/sports/articl...rd-big-profits

  3. #63
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    I figured sports networks were profitable, but wow!

    http://www.thestar.com/sports/articl...rd-big-profits
    It's a long way from losing $25 million a year the first few years TSN was in business.

  4. #64
    Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Windsor,ON
    Age
    46
    Posts
    11,081
    Laraque vs St. Pierre

    http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322281
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

  5. #65
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,581
    I know this is a TV thread, but I thought I would put this hear, it's media, some big changes at the Fan590.

    Steve Simmons twitter

    Carnage at the Fan - Stellick, Landry, Hogan, all gone...Still waiting to hear about E Smith and Jack Armstrong - McCown moving from 3 to 6
    Greg Brady is leaving am640 to join the Fan590 from the sounds of it.

    Greg Brady will replace Daren Millard on Hockeycentral at noon. Millard leaves radio gig but still has main gig on tv at sportsnet

  6. #66
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,786
    Is anyone else as tired of The Score devoting so much time on the World Cup. They've been talking about the same bloody thing every night for over a week. And then they play it on repeat all the time. ENOUGH!

  7. #67
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,581
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Is anyone else as tired of The Score devoting so much time on the World Cup. They've been talking about the same bloody thing every night for over a week. And then they play it on repeat all the time. ENOUGH!
    I use to love The Score about a year ago, but when they made all there changes, taking The Score tonight, drive this, hard core hockey talk, etc....off the air, I now really dont watch The Score at all anymore, just a few things now, it was getting so good, it even past Sportsnet in my books there for awhile, now it's back down to #3 behind TSN and Sportsnet.

    The show wrestling live, then show it again about 3 more times in the next 24 hours, not cool.
    Last edited by two24four; 07-11-2010 at 11:17 AM.

  8. #68
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,786
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    I use to love The Score about a year ago, but when they made all there changes, taking The Score tonight, drive this, hard core hockey talk, etc....off the air, I now really dont watch The Score at all anymore, just a few things now, it was getting so good, it even past Sportsnet in my books there for awhile, now it's back down to #3 behind TSN and Sportsnet.

    The show wrestling live, then show it again about 3 more times in the next 24 hours, not cool.
    Totally agree on all points. They were getting awesome then decided to appeal to very specific segments - eg. soccer fans with the world cup stuff or wrestling fans with all that WWE crap. Too bad because as you said, they were becoming kick-ass.

  9. #69
    .. All-Star WIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,709
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    I use to love The Score about a year ago, but when they made all there changes, taking The Score tonight, drive this, hard core hockey talk, etc....off the air, I now really dont watch The Score at all anymore, just a few things now, it was getting so good, it even past Sportsnet in my books there for awhile, now it's back down to #3 behind TSN and Sportsnet.

    The show wrestling live, then show it again about 3 more times in the next 24 hours, not cool.
    I laugh when they have their serious talks about it.

  10. #70
    Senior Member First Liner
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,281
    Well, I think the Score and Sportsnet have to work to find their niche audiences to pick away at TSN. Just like Sportsnet was WAY ahead of TSN in the promotion of MMA, it decided to jump on what was considered a fringe sport because TSN just wasn't covering it. Presumably MMA fans would watch Sportsnet news instead of TSN if they wanted to see MMA highlights. I think this is what the Score is doing with WC and (ahem) wrestling.

    ps. Anyone know why TSN shows stills for WC highlights most of the time, with very short vid the rest? Did CBC decide to screw them over for rights? Is this fallout from CBC losing out on the last Olympics? Anyone?
    --------------------------------

  11. #71
    .. All-Star WIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,709
    Quote Originally Posted by madsci View Post
    Well, I think the Score and Sportsnet have to work to find their niche audiences to pick away at TSN. Just like Sportsnet was WAY ahead of TSN in the promotion of MMA, it decided to jump on what was considered a fringe sport because TSN just wasn't covering it. Presumably MMA fans would watch Sportsnet news instead of TSN if they wanted to see MMA highlights. I think this is what the Score is doing with WC and (ahem) wrestling.

    ps. Anyone know why TSN shows stills for WC highlights most of the time, with very short vid the rest? Did CBC decide to screw them over for rights? Is this fallout from CBC losing out on the last Olympics? Anyone?
    It's not only TSN. The local news did the same thing.

  12. #72
    Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    26
    Posts
    10,127
    CBC probably held back everybody on the rights.

  13. #73
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    Notes on a few topics...

    Greg Brady coming to the Fan 590 for anyone who doesn't listen to him is awesome, he's great. I know this'll catch me shit because no one likes me bringing it up, but he teaches at our school and he's a real great guy too, lots of fun, so good on him.

    TSN showing the stills is a copyright issue, they don't have the rights to show video highlights until 11:00pm I believe. I think the logic in that stipulation for CBC is so they don't show highlights until CBC does the replay of the game, and the nightly news gets a chance to be the first ones out with the highlights.

    As for The Score's changes, most of them were necessity. I know the guy that used to host the gambling shows with Cam Stewart, Gabe Morency, was fired for showing up drunk to work and going on air drunk.

    And lastly, The Score showing WWE isn't "lame" if you're a businessman, like it or not, WWE is one of the highest rated cable entities in all of television...that's a huge moneymaker for them holding exclusive rights to all WWE programming.

  14. #74
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,581
    Yeah Greg Brady coming over to the Fan 590 was a good move, I liked that once I heard about it when all this went down at the Fan, to bad though that Eric Smith and Jack Armstrong are getting bumped in the afternoon. Iam glad Darren Millard wont be hosting the hockey show in the afternoon anymore.

    As for Morency like him or hate him he brought in a HUGE fan base when he was with The Score, most of them left when he did. He seems to be doing ok now with his own web-site and the live show he does on there every night now.

    Not sure why they got rid of The Score tonight with Sid and Tim, that was just dumb, it was one of the best shows they had, if not the best. HHT was a good show as well.
    Last edited by two24four; 07-12-2010 at 10:41 PM.

  15. #75
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,581
    Sportsnet is bringing out a new channel called Sportsnet One, it comes out Aug 14th.

    http://www.sportsnet.ca/one/

  16. #76
    Senior Member All-Star canuckthug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    2,474
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Sportsnet is bringing out a new channel called Sportsnet One, it comes out Aug 14th.

    http://www.sportsnet.ca/one/
    Heard about this. They will have over 800 hours of live sports coverage. They will showcase 13 Canuck games and all 13 will be blacked out in my region. Stupid sportsnet blackout regulation. Plus cant forget about the other 45 games on sportsnet pacific which are blacked out !!!



    Some questions and comments about Sportsnet/ TSN"

    - what ever happened to Mike Toth? He was the best!
    -why the fuck are TSN/ Sportsnet now showing movies?? TSN showed Tin Cup with Kevin Costner just before the Masters and Sportsnet showed YoungBlood or YoungGuns (some hockey movie) a few days ago. Leave the movies for the movie channels.

  17. #77
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,581
    Quote Originally Posted by nineoneone View Post
    Heard about this. They will have over 800 hours of live sports coverage. They will showcase 13 Canuck games and all 13 will be blacked out in my region. Stupid sportsnet blackout regulation. Plus cant forget about the other 45 games on sportsnet pacific which are blacked out !!!



    Some questions and comments about Sportsnet/ TSN"

    - what ever happened to Mike Toth? He was the best!
    -why the fuck are TSN/ Sportsnet now showing movies?? TSN showed Tin Cup with Kevin Costner just before the Masters and Sportsnet showed YoungBlood or YoungGuns (some hockey movie) a few days ago. Leave the movies for the movie channels.
    Toth was let go by both Sportsnet and the Fan 590, I forget what he said on the air one day on the radio, but that was pretty much it for him after he said it.

    I think the movies are just time fillers during the summer, on the odd night when there are not much sports going on.

  18. #78
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Toth was let go by both Sportsnet and the Fan 590, I forget what he said on the air one day on the radio, but that was pretty much it for him after he said it.

    I think the movies are just time fillers during the summer, on the odd night when there are not much sports going on.
    Toth had started to wear on alot of people in the industry with various stupid comments and stupid articles(this is a guy that wrote a blog about how big a jackass Roy Halladay was for not being in the WBC), but the "final straw" was this quote on the FAN 590(which I assume is what you're referring to) :

    "There are no female sportscasters that have as much knowledge as their male counterparts"

    That was the end of him.

  19. #79
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,581
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    Toth had started to wear on alot of people in the industry with various stupid comments and stupid articles(this is a guy that wrote a blog about how big a jackass Roy Halladay was for not being in the WBC), but the "final straw" was this quote on the FAN 590(which I assume is what you're referring to) :

    "There are no female sportscasters that have as much knowledge as their male counterparts"

    That was the end of him.
    Yeah that was it, thanks, I could not remember what he said.

    I agree that he was wearing on people, I use to like him back in the day, not so much that last few years. It was almost like he thought he was better then everyone else.

    I also dont miss Sean McCormick on Sportsnet.

  20. #80
    Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    11,715
    Can't say I ever liked Toth. Always thought his 'jokes' were super lame and he seemed like a douche from the start to me. That comment that got him fired just confirms it.

  21. #81
    Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    26
    Posts
    10,127
    I would say 90% of the Sportsnet cast are 2nd class broadcasters. They're always trying to crack lame jokes, and they're unprofessional in their delivery a lot of the time. That's why I stick to TSN. At least Dutchie, Duthie, Onrait, O'Toole, etc are funny.

  22. #82
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,581
    Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    I would say 90% of the Sportsnet cast are 2nd class broadcasters. They're always trying to crack lame jokes, and they're unprofessional in their delivery a lot of the time. That's why I stick to TSN. At least Dutchie, Duthie, Onrait, O'Toole, etc are funny.
    I agree.

    Onrait is the best, f*ck he's funny.

    Dont forget Rod Smith and Gino, they are good as well.

    Brad Fay is ok with Sportsnet, I cant stand that Don Taylor guy though.

  23. #83
    Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    26
    Posts
    10,127
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC36BQt4Z3A"]YouTube- onraitotoole.mpg[/ame]

  24. #84
    Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Windsor,ON
    Age
    46
    Posts
    11,081
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

  25. #85
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,581
    haha, that's what I'm talking about, dude is a card. I follow him on twitter, he does not post much, but when he does alot of it makes you laugh.

  26. #86
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    I find the combo of Sid and Tim funnier, the dumbest thing The Score ever did was kill Score Tonight with the two of them. It ran unopposed against the other shows since it was a night show that ran off timed from Sportscenter running, and they were the best.

    I don't really care about HHT because I don't like Steve Kouleas, but Score Tonight was a big mistake.

  27. #87
    Senior Member Third Liner
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    235
    Damn Sportsnet...

    They're the only network showing UFC Jones - Matyushenko today in Canada.

    Only problem is that I live out west so I get SNETW, and for some reason they're delaying it on SNETW and SNETP for 1 and 2 hours respectively but showing it live on SNETO and SNETE. Why can't you just show it live on all your feeds?!

  28. #88
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,581
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    I find the combo of Sid and Tim funnier, the dumbest thing The Score ever did was kill Score Tonight with the two of them. It ran unopposed against the other shows since it was a night show that ran off timed from Sportscenter running, and they were the best.

    I don't really care about HHT because I don't like Steve Kouleas, but Score Tonight was a big mistake.
    I have been saying this for awhile now, The Score tonight was awesome.

    Like I said before, The Score was making it's way up the ranks fast, now they are back down at the bottom IMO, if they ever end up losing/stop showing college sports (NCAA football and basketball) that will sink them even more, as it is they dont show any NHL, MLB or NFL games, and I think they just lost the Raptors to Sportsnet again.
    Last edited by two24four; 08-01-2010 at 06:51 PM.

  29. #89
    Senior Member All-Star CayugaPosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,820
    The idea is live TV costs alot of money, while features are relatively easy to piece together. I could go do a piece like Cabby does today and have it done in a day. I may not have the same interview personality as he does, but the actual physical task of doing it, you cut WAY down on the number of people you need to employ.

    The problem is after a while your entire network being nothing but features and highlights with voiceovers but no on camera people or no live content becomes incredibly repetitive and boring. Seriously, turn on The Score and leave it there for 3 hours and make a list of how many times you see things, I guarantee it looks something like this when you're done :

    Jays/Yankees highlights x 6
    Cabbie piece x 3

    etc etc, there is so much repitition and boredom there it's scary. And it's somewhat tragic considering they have EASILY the most talented group of people to pull from.

    Sid and Tim, Mauro Ronello for MMA, Tim and the guy whose name I forget right now for some reason that do Court Surfing and March Madness are amazing, the Footy Show guys Kristian Jack and James Sharman, these are some of the very best in the business at covering their sports, and they're all wasted.

    It's good for someone like me who wants to work in an editing bay, I'd LOVE to be at the Score because everything they do is features, so you're busy, your shit gets played constantly on the station and you get paid handsomely because their editors are literally the most important people to that network with how vital they are to all those features looking right.

    But it's not great for TV. I'd like to see Score Tonight returned, Court Surfing continued, an expanded version of The Footy Show, and maybe 1 or 2 other live shows on there(return of Hardcore Hockey Talk although I am not a fan I suppose is one that should be done).

  30. #90
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,786
    Quote Originally Posted by CayugaPosse View Post
    The idea is live TV costs alot of money, while features are relatively easy to piece together. I could go do a piece like Cabby does today and have it done in a day. I may not have the same interview personality as he does, but the actual physical task of doing it, you cut WAY down on the number of people you need to employ.

    The problem is after a while your entire network being nothing but features and highlights with voiceovers but no on camera people or no live content becomes incredibly repetitive and boring. Seriously, turn on The Score and leave it there for 3 hours and make a list of how many times you see things, I guarantee it looks something like this when you're done :

    Jays/Yankees highlights x 6
    Cabbie piece x 3

    etc etc, there is so much repitition and boredom there it's scary. And it's somewhat tragic considering they have EASILY the most talented group of people to pull from.

    Sid and Tim, Mauro Ronello for MMA, Tim and the guy whose name I forget right now for some reason that do Court Surfing and March Madness are amazing, the Footy Show guys Kristian Jack and James Sharman, these are some of the very best in the business at covering their sports, and they're all wasted.

    It's good for someone like me who wants to work in an editing bay, I'd LOVE to be at the Score because everything they do is features, so you're busy, your shit gets played constantly on the station and you get paid handsomely because their editors are literally the most important people to that network with how vital they are to all those features looking right.

    But it's not great for TV. I'd like to see Score Tonight returned, Court Surfing continued, an expanded version of The Footy Show, and maybe 1 or 2 other live shows on there(return of Hardcore Hockey Talk although I am not a fan I suppose is one that should be done).
    I know a girl in HR at Score Media if you ever need the contact.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •