Page 150 of 152 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152 LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,500 of 4550
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Blue Jays are going to have a dirt INF starting this season. Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    The players pretty much always go for the security of a long-term deal over a higher one-year salary. Even in the NFL with non-guaranteed contracts, they generally hate being franchised, even though they get a great one-year salary. I'm also not versed in the cost of those insurance policies but I would assume that your figures are way off. Let's look at Greinke, for example. He's coming off of a career year and is 32 years old. He can't possibly do anything this year to increase his value. His annual salary is over $34M. Do you think that it makes sense for him to accept a one-year deal? Not a chance. If Toronto offered him $40M for one season, he'd need to sign a 5 year deal after next season worth $33.3M per season at 33 years old just to break even. He wouldn't do that and there's a good chance that no team would even come close to that. The same logic applies to Price.
    How much do you think it would cost for Greinke to insure himself for 365 days on $100mm payout? I would be VERY surprised if it was more than a couple points given the probability in such a short period of time would be in the single digits...if even.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    How much do you think it would cost for Greinke to insure himself for 365 days on $100mm payout? I would be VERY surprised if it was more than a couple points given the probability in such a short period of time would be in the single digits...if even.
    Like I said, I don't know. What I do know is that it's based on risk and the risk that they take on for a 32 year-old pitcher isn't small, especially at that amount. Either way, you're asking him to turn down over $200M guaranteed to potentially make $135-$138M ($40M + $100M -$2/$5M). No sane person would do that, especially one that just opted out of a 3-year deal so that he could sign the last big deal of his career.

Someone who valued winning above going from obscenely rich to obscenely uber rich. I like to think I would. (but to be clear, I'd take out a policy to protect myself)

Someone who valued winning above going from obscenely rich to obscenely uber rich. I like to think I would. (but to be clear, I'd take out a policy to protect myself)
    That goes back to what I preach quite often. It's really easy for us to sit at our computers and tell someone to turn down $200M+ guaranteed when there's not a chance in hell that we will ever be in that situation. I won't even begin to say that I could do that. There are also other factors. I know that you want to believe that the Jays will be winners but they have little recent history of being able to do so. I think that they'll be good but there's no guarantee. Greinke could also like the future of Arizona. The Jays are certainly more of a win-now team. There's also the NL vs. AL thing. We know very little with certainty, yet we continually make assumptions about what he was thinking. In reality, all that we know is that he was offered over $200M guaranteed and he took it. Everything else is speculation.

I honestly don't even know what I'd do with $200mm - I LOVE toys but there are only so many toys a guy can have before he doesn't have the time to play with them all. I'm not the type to want "fuck-you I'm rich" shit like a 300ft yacht or 30,000sqft mansion (castle?!). I honestly think I'd become a philanthropist trying to help ppl (etc) in need if I ever came into that type of money.

I would make sure my family and friends were set then some to charities.

^ I would help friends and families and give everyone a gift with the understanding that it's a one-time type of thing then I'd set up a trust and stick $??? in it and let someone else be the trustee. Anyone who has an investment idea or needs assistance with this or that can present their case to the trustee who alone decides yay or nay. Friends and family members treat you differently once you hit the big time...not all but more than you'd like...so this way the hope would be to ensure they remain your 'buddies' (etc) instead of treating you like an ATM machine.

Single game tickets go on sale this Thursday. Think there will be a mad rush day 1 for tickets? I know season tickets numbers have gone up after last season, same for the flex packs. I don't normally order tickets the day they go on sale but I'm thinking about it this season. I don't plan on going to a game before June so I'm hoping most people grab tickets for the earlier games in April/May.

I like the Donaldson deal. 2 years to see if he can keep this up into his 30's and if he can, they make it rain...if not, they play hard the next two seasons trying to win. I hope this is a signal mgmt will step up through trade etc. this season and next. (and if it's only this season and EE + Bats leave, then they can dangle 1 year of Donaldson if it looks like a rebuild on the horizon)

I think that they got a steal with that deal for him.

^ total steal...but remember, he also got a lot more than he would have in arbitration in either of the next 2 years. This was partially about making sure he wasn't bitter I imagine.

It's a great contract. He seems really happy about it as well on both twitter and IG.

Just did the twitter sale that is on today for Blue Jays tickets. Got my tickets for a couple of games this season.

He was asked about this report today after it came it out, his answer was "false" when asked about it.

If I'm the Blue Jays I just let him play this season (we know how he plays when he's upset) and see what happens after the season. If he wants $30M a season they should go back to him with 30 x 3.

Agreed, play out the season then we can see what happens in the off-season. I wouldn't be surprised if Shapiro & Atkins will shop him a bit though.

On Monday, meeting with media on the first day of spring training, Bautista said the five-year, $65-million contract he signed with Toronto in 2011 has amounted to a “five-year hometown discount.”
    Tough shit. MLB contracts are guaranteed. If he shit the bed, would he give money back? Not a chance.

^ I won't disagree with that. AA took a lot of risk signing him to that deal...that Jose outperformed it wasn't a discount in any way. I think he's irked that they didn't replace his option year (2016) with a new contract. (and as he's a HUGE whiner and likes to convince himself he's been wrong he probably sees himself as a big victim)

I like what he brings to the team in a lot of ways, but I don't much like his prickly demeanor/personality much nor his leadership qualities.

If he wants to have the attitude that he's not giving out any hometown discount and wants big bucks, I have no issue with that. This is his last chance for top dollars (on a smaller scale) and he never got the huge deal. Unfortunately for him, that's what happens when you're a late bloomer. That said, he doesn't need to be a dick about it and act like he's owed something.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    If he wants to have the attitude that he's not giving out any hometown discount and wants big bucks, I have no issue with that. This is his last chance for top dollars (on a smaller scale) and he never got the huge deal. Unfortunately for him, that's what happens when you're a late bloomer. That said, he doesn't need to be a dick about it and act like he's owed something.
    That's Jose man, love it or hate it! (I lean towards the latter)

Tweet from Jon Heyman today.

Bautista reported ask of $150M, 5 yrs is indeed not exactly accurate, as Joey Bats said. At least years and total $ r MORE.
    If this is all true, if he's really asking that much and isn't willing to come down then this most likely will be his last season in Toronto. This might just make the Blue Jays resign Edwin sooner than we thought. Edwin is younger and I doubt asking for this much. I'm a Joey Bats fan, but I'm not sure the Blue Jays will go with this.

I'd still keep Bautista this season, at least till the trade deadline to see where the Blue Jays are then and go from there.
    Last edited by two24four; 02-24-2016 at 11:48 AM.

His arrogance grates on me. I would not like him if we ran in the same social circle...I'd want to knock his teeth out. I get that he gives the team swagger but i also question if he's the guy you'd want to be the leader of the clubhouse. (Though the jays clubhouse seems pretty tight so what do i know)

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's his clubhouse anymore. I think it's more Donaldson's, Martin and Tulo's. If you get a chance go check out Arden Zwelling's tweets with quotes from both Tulo and Pillar. This team does seem very close.

No team will be giving him the $$ he's asking for if he does not have another big season this year for the Blue Jays.
    Last edited by two24four; 02-24-2016 at 03:54 PM.

He could hit 50/140 and nobody will give him the years that he's asking for.

I agree, but if he wants anything big he will have to put up some big numbers again. Some team will over pay for him though.

Yankees...and he'd be a huge dick every time they play the Jays

Yankees...and he'd be a huge dick every time they play the Jays
    That's not the Yankee way anymore. While I fully expect them to start spending money again once the Teixeira, Beltran, Sabathia, and A-Rod deals start coming off of the books, I don't expect them to start giving long-term deals to 35+ year old players.
    Last edited by Doctego; 02-25-2016 at 06:38 AM.

With this being Ortiz last season, I could see Boston going after him if he does become a FA in the off season. He's buddy's with Ortiz as well so I'm sure he would love to take over for him.

I like the Dom Brown signing - low risk, possibly high return.

Thread Information