Page 1 of 152 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Senior Member First Liner Tormy's Avatar

Toronto Blue Jays Thread

(Alright, I'll bite the bullet. With all of the Jays discussion getting thrown around and clumped in so many other threads, why not keep it all together, like the hockey threads?)

With baseball just around the corner, I am very excited to see what this squad can do this year. Will they finish third? Will they finish second but miss the playoffs? Or will they finally return to the playoffs?

Obviously, the main issue is health, and I think the Jays made some very nice moves to give themselves some depth. Shannon Stewart is a solid guy to have around that can be thrown in just about any situation (hitting, running, fielding), as long as he isn't over-used. Barajas will provide a slight upgrade over Fasano, though you have to love having that mustache around. Eckstein is a decent option (though expensive) to have around. And Benitez...well, you know.

I am very pleased that they kept Rios around and didn't trade him for Lincecum or Cain, as I see him really breaking out (a 30/20 season sounds about right).

I hope they keep Reed around and give him a fair shot at some playing time. I think he can still be the player that he used to be. Especially in a role where he is splitting time.

The rotation? No way Litsch sticks as the number 5 guy. Why? The Jays need a lefty in the rotation and I see them filling that hole with either Chacin (who was sent down to AAA to get his stuff back, despite never being very dominant) or bringing somebody else in. Chacin can do well with that defense. Especially with the upgrade of Rolen (defensively).

And the "pen is mighty". Ryan and League (along with McDonald, my favourite Jays) should help quite a bit.

Vegas is giving the Jays a 30:1 shot at winning the World Series this year. Lets see what happens.

Price autographed my shoe First Liner Shady6833's Avatar
    With the Jays rotation they are going to have to get solid offense all year to contend. As much as I hate to say it that rotation is a) too young and b) has too many question marks surounding it. However if a couple of those question marks turn into exclamation points then I see the Jays having a real shot at the playoffs.
    "Smoked much dope lately boys? You guys are f*cked!"- Sam the Caveman=>Trailer Park Boys

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Good idea, Go Jays Go !!!!

Cant say I was to upset seeing Chacin sent down today, something about him I just dont like, but guess we may need him at some point.

As much as I liked Stewart his 1st time with the Jays, I'm still not sold him making this team, I would still rather have Lind over him, Lind is also having a great spring so far.

Can you see what I see??? Hall of Famer secol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Good idea, Go Jays Go !!!!

Cant say I was to upset seeing Chacin sent down today, something about him I just dont like, but guess we may need him at some point.

As much as I liked Stewart his 1st time with the Jays, I'm still not sold him making this team, I would still rather have Lind over him, Lind is also having a great spring so far.
    might it have been his cologne???

Quote Originally Posted by Shady6833 View Post
    With the Jays rotation they are going to have to get solid offense all year to contend. As much as I hate to say it that rotation is a) too young and b) has too many question marks surounding it. However if a couple of those question marks turn into exclamation points then I see the Jays having a real shot at the playoffs.
    As long as the top 3 guys stay healthy, (which is along shot I know) Halladay, Burnett, McGown, the only guys I worry about are Marcum and Litsch in the 4-5 hole, McGowan as I said before has the stuff to be an ace one day, I read something the other day that said if McGowan played for one of the Yanks or Red Sox he would already be a pretty big name in baseball, cause he's that good of a pitcher, and it was not anything from the Canadian media.

Senior Member First Liner Tormy's Avatar
    As long as the top 3 guys stay healthy, (which is along shot I know) Halladay, Burnett, McGown, the only guys I worry about are Marcum and Litsch in the 4-5 hole, McGowan as I said before has the stuff to be an ace one day, I read something the other day that said if McGowan played for one of the Yanks or Red Sox he would already be a pretty big name in baseball, cause he's that good of a pitcher, and it was not anything from the Canadian media.
    Thats very bold of you. McGowan is as solid as a #4 as you can ask for, but he has some strides to make before he really makes the jump. He needs to pitch better from the get-go, he struggled at the start of last season, but once he settled in, he put up some great numbers (3.67 ERA, 1.14 WHIP after the all-star break). He also needs to pitch better to left-handers, though those numbers may have been skewed a bit due to the strong left-handed hitters in the division. His strikeout rate improved quite a bit over the course of the season too. Lets see if he can keep things up after all the hitters have gotten a read off of him.

I like Litsch' story. That first win with his father in the stands was the highlight of last season, if you ask me, and I don't think he is that much of a downgrade from Janssen (as a starter), but they need a good lefty in the rotation.

yeah I think I heard he was top-5 or top-10 in K's after the AS break......

Quote Originally Posted by Tormy View Post
    Thats very bold of you. McGowan is as solid as a #4 as you can ask for, but he has some strides to make before he really makes the jump. He needs to pitch better from the get-go, he struggled at the start of last season, but once he settled in, he put up some great numbers (3.67 ERA, 1.14 WHIP after the all-star break). He also needs to pitch better to left-handers, though those numbers may have been skewed a bit due to the strong left-handed hitters in the division. His strikeout rate improved quite a bit over the course of the season too. Lets see if he can keep things up after all the hitters have gotten a read off of him.

I like Litsch' story. That first win with his father in the stands was the highlight of last season, if you ask me, and I don't think he is that much of a downgrade from Janssen (as a starter), but they need a good lefty in the rotation.
    ESPN says that McGowan could be like a Halladay with more K's, so take that for what it's worth.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    As much as Rios is solid in the OF, I can't help but think how much stronger the rotation would be with Lincecum or Cain in there.

I think if the Jays play up to their potential and stay healthy they can challenge for at least 2nd in the division and the wildcard for sure. Once they get in the playoffs anything can happen. Lets hope for turnaround seasons from Thomas and Wells along with the continued development of Rios, McGowan, Marcum, and Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    As much as Rios is solid in the OF, I can't help but think how much stronger the rotation would be with Lincecum or Cain in there.
    It would have been nice to get one of those guys, but in the long run we would have missed Rios and his 100 Runs, 20-25 Hr's, 90-100 RBI's, 20-30 SB's, .280-.300 AVG, plus he's great in the feild as well, that would have been tough to get from Lind or Stairs, as much as I like those guys.
    Last edited by two24four; 03-13-2008 at 12:06 PM.

It would have been nice to get one of those guys, but in the long run we would have missed Rios and his 100 Runs, 20-25 Hr's, 90-100 RBI's, 20-30 SB's, .280-.300 AVG, plus he's great in the feild as well, that would have been tough to get from Lind or Stairs, as much as I like those guys.
    Yeah its the same with anything though. You're always going to have to sacrifice to gain and hindsight is 20/20.

Lineup?

Eckstein
    Rios
    Wells
    Thomas
    Rolen
    Overbay
    Zaun
    Hill
    3rd OF

?

I'll throw my two cents in on the lineup
    Johnson
    Eckstein
    Wells
    Thomas
    Rios
    Rolen
    Hill
    Overbay
    Zaun
    "Smoked much dope lately boys? You guys are f*cked!"- Sam the Caveman=>Trailer Park Boys

Full-Time hockey maniac All-Star Hawkeye's Avatar
    Yeah its the same with anything though. You're always going to have to sacrifice to gain and hindsight is 20/20.

Lineup?

Eckstein
    Rios
    Wells
    Thomas
    Rolen
    Overbay
    Zaun
    Hill
    3rd OF

?
    IMO, Johnson should still leadoff. I'd probably put Eckstein 9th. Maybe Overbay 5th over Rolen as well

Lineup?

Eckstein
    Rios
    Wells
    Thomas
    Rolen
    Overbay
    Zaun
    Hill
    3rd OF

?
    This looks about right to me, or close enough anyways, they have already said Eckstein will leadoff, and Overbay will not be hitting 8th Shady, at least he should not be anyways.
    Last edited by two24four; 03-13-2008 at 03:03 PM.

This looks about right to me, or close enough anyways, they have already said Eckstein will leadoff, and Overbay will not be hitting 8th Shady, at least he should not be anyways.
    Ya I don't think he will either, I would have him their just because I see 8 as the second cleanup spot where If you have a deep enough lineup a lot of rbi can be generated.

Looks like Ryan will pitch one inning tomorrow vs the Rays.

Ajde Anci!! All-Star mrtybrodur30's Avatar
    here is the projected lineup from cbs sports

1. Eckstein SS
    2. Overbay 1B
    3. Rios RF
    4. Thomas DH
    5. Wells CF
    6. Rolen 3B
    7. Hill 2B
    8. Lind LF
    9. Zaun C

looks pretty good but will you guys stay healthy, if you can it could be a good year for you guys.
    Last edited by mrtybrodur30; 03-13-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtybrodur30 View Post
    here is the projected lineup from cbs sports

1. Eckstein SS
    2. Overbay 1B
    3. Rios RF
    4. Tjomas DH
    5. Wells CF
    6. Rolen 3B
    7. Hill 2B
    8. Lind LF
    9. Zaun C

looks pretty good but will you guys stay healthy, if you can it could be a good year for you guys.
    I'd like to see Lind land a full time gig, but I doubt that will happen

Gibbons already said Wells is hitting in that 3 spot so..

speaking of Gibbons I would like to know what the HI Jays faithful thinks of him? I've been thinking that he is a major piece of what's wrong with that ball club, however I have been publicly trounced for my views before and would like to be enlightened on other's feeling on this subject.

Gibbons already said Wells is hitting in that 3 spot so..
    I heard that as well........

About Gibby, I'm 50/50 on him, sometimes I like him, others I want him gone, thing is though, Gibby and J.P. where roomates in AAA years ago, and have been very close ever since, I'm guessing J.P. only lets him go if he really, really has too, if he ever does, I would not mind seeing Witt get his chance.

Ploughing since 1985 All-Star Farmerbob42's Avatar
    with eckstein leading off i dont really see johnson's use in the lineup, id rather have lind in then

too late Lind already got sent down lol

I don't understand how you're supposed to make the team. Lind had a great spring and only has upside to him. Stewart and Stairs are in their twilight years.

Ryan pitched the 1st inning today and went 3 up 3 down with 2 K's, not bad for his 1st time back.

Hockey guru to the gods Hall of Famer Roy Hinske's Avatar
    Swift Current, Saskatchewan; home of the Broncos
    Lind needs to be up over either Stewart or Stairs.

The way they are treating Lind, I almost hope they trade him and that he puts up very good numbers elsewhere... He would be a great addition to alot of teams IMO

I don't understand how you're supposed to make the team. Lind had a great spring and only has upside to him. Stewart and Stairs are in their twilight years.
    They want him to get the consistent AB's he won't get on the big squad. He'll be up at some point, but I think it is a great decision to let him get 200+ AB's at the AAA level before he gets called up.

PS: they may want to trade him with Snyder coming along (you do the math, Rios, Wells & Snyder...unless Lind is the DH, where does he fit?) nicely, so getting him AB's is key to showcasing what the kid's got. Better for him to play everyday than sit on bench in Toronto and place 1-2 times a week.
    Last edited by b_illin; 03-15-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    They want him to get the consistent AB's he won't get on the big squad. He'll be up at some point, but I think it is a great decision to let him get 200+ AB's at the AAA level before he gets called up.

PS: they may want to trade him with Snyder coming along (you do the math, Rios, Wells & Snyder...unless Lind is the DH, where does he fit?) nicely, so getting him AB's is key to showcasing what the kid's got. Better for him to play everyday than sit on bench in Toronto and place 1-2 times a week.
    Yeah what I meant was I thought he should be starting the majority of games in LF for the Jays over Stairs/Stewart/Johnson.

I just read that both the Rays and Mets would not mind trading for Reed Johnson.

Thread Information